1) Medals are worth 3 points for gold, 2 points for silver, 1 point for bronze.
2) You pick a total of up to 10 nations.
3) One nation must be a superpower: USA, China or Russia. You can only select ONE superpower.
4) For the remaining 9 nations, you have a budget of 200,000,000 population. You can spend it on just Brazil and Burundi and be done, or you can pick up 9 small nations. You can pick one big one and six smaller ones. It's up to you. However you are allowed no more than 9 more countries in addition to your superpower.
5) If you want to spend your entire non-superpower population budget on a nation with a population of over 200 million, you can (i.e. you can blow your budget on India or Indonesia). This is probably not a good strategy, however.
6) For each nation you select with a population of under 20,000,000, you score double points for its medal tally (i.e. gold worth 6, silver 4 and bronze 2).
7) For each nation with a population of under 7,500,000, you score 4x points for its medal tally (i.e. gold worth 12, silver 8, bronze 4).
8) Most total points wins.
9) In case of a tie, the person with the most population budget left over wins.
10) The source for populations is the CIA World Factbook.
11) Send your entries to [email protected] by noon on Friday.
12) PM me if you have any questions.
Edit: Extended entry until noon Friday since there's no competition going on during the Opening Ceremonies.
Edited by jkempa, 06 August 2008 - 04:09 PM.