Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

CLOSED: Original Artwork - Paul Pierce/Finals MVP Trophy (Charcoal) - Sibpin wins it!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8966 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

The reason I've started a thread for this piece prior to it being finished is because it's giving me fits in a way that few drawings have, which is odd, because it's not like the degree of difficulty is in the stratosphere or anything. So by airing these concerns I'm forcing myself to have to complete the work, however tempting it may be to ignore it until it goes away. I've chronicled my struggles here:

"He's a Smart Big Fish, He's Gone Under the Boat."

Posted Image

This moment was the first time Quint realized that he might have met his match, and you can tell that part of him relishes it. After God knows how many years of shark fishing, here was a target that wasn't playing by the rules, and maybe Quint was going to find out just how good of a shark hunter he really was.

Later, when the shark surfaces, finally showing itself to its pursuers as it leisurely passes by the Orca, Hooper cries out, "That's a twenty footer!", to which Quint quietly replies, "Twenty-five. Three tons of him." You can hear the respect in his voice.

My twenty-five foot, three ton shark is none other than Paul Pierce.

I've been attempting to do a charcoal drawing of Pierce holding his Finals MVP trophy for the ALS auction sponsored by the Sons of Sam Horn, the same auction for which I've already drawn the David Ortiz portrait that I blogged about a few posts ago.

I can usually bang out a charcoal piece in a couple of hours, and this one was going well, until I got to Pierce's face. I just can't nail his face. I've drawn it and erased it three separate times, and I've hit a wall. It's never happened before. With each attempt I attacked it in a different state of mind (whether by choice or coincidence: slightly buzzed, pretty damned drunk, and stone cold sober). Didn't matter. Snake eyes.

I'm pretty determined to finish it now, not only for the auction's sake but just to prove to myself I can't be beaten, but it's a foreign feeling, and not an entirely unpleasant one. Given the safe and unoriginal nature of the artwork I make, it's easy to get complacent and then bored (which is deadly), so it's nice to actually feel challenged for once, tasting the blood in my mouth from the stiff jab that somehow slipped between my upraised gloves.

After the third failed attempt to get Pierce's face right, I clicked off the lamp above my drawing table, looking at the piece and the chewed-up vacant space between Pierce's neck and his World Champions cap, and thought approvingly, "He's a smart big fish, he's gone under the boat."

I shall return to the table soon, harpoon in hand. Or knowing me and my creative process, Harpoon IPA in hand. Either way, I look forward to it.

I am nothing if not a creature of habit, so if I were a gambling man, I'd bet on me having about 17 beers tonight and then throwing myself at this piece in a rage. The final results may be interesting, because psychologically I need to complete this thing one way or the other. Perhaps this will usher me into my Cubist phase. I smell a $1000 bid!

I figured a game thread would make the process more interesting. May your nipples become erect with anticipation.

Edited by LoweTek, 10 August 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#2 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17270 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

His nose looks like the Grinch if that helps.

#3 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 14667 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

$200.

#4 mascho

• SoSH Member

• 14097 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

$250.

#5 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 14667 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

$300

#6 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8966 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

Getting there... the face isn't quite right yet, and the entire piece certainly needs more work, but it's getting there. Better than where I was late last week, that's for sure:

Posted Image

#7 V.I. Tessie

• 1041 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:22 AM

Love your work Kevin. The pieces on your website are beautiful.

Edited by V.I. Tessie, 02 August 2008 - 07:04 AM.

#8 Mr Weebles

• swabbie bastard

• 15603 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Fixed:

Posted Image

#9 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8966 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Here's the finished piece, if I'm not stupid enough to try to mess with it before I frame it (I wouldn't put it past myself):

Posted Image

I'll post a pic of it matted/framed once I do that.

Edited by The Allented Mr Ripley, 04 August 2008 - 09:07 PM.

#10 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8966 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

This auction is for an 11" x 14" charcoal drawing of Paul Pierce done on grey pastel & charcoal paper (Borden & Riley #410, 80 lb). The piece is already matted and framed (green matte, black wood frame), the size of the framed piece is 16" x 20".

Drawing by Kevin McNeil (The Allented Mr Ripley), depicted in the post above this one.

Here it is as it will be sold, matted and framed:

Posted Image

Retail value: $175.

Minimum bid: $25.

Bidding ends August 10th at 8:30PM.

Note: If item needs to be shipped, cost will be included in bid price. Winner will be notified with final price via PM and must pay for item via PayPal within 24 hours or item will go to the next highest bidder.

If you have any additional questions about the drawing, don't hesitate to ask.

#11 LoweTek

• 767 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:46 AM

I think Death already a bid in for $300. I am assuming it stands. DoTB?

#12 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 14667 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:17 AM

Still stands.

#13 Myt1

• thinks tim thomas is a dick-fil-a

• 19332 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

That's awesome, Kevin. You're really talented.

#14 sibpin

• 2628 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

That looks fantastic. $400.

#15 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8966 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Here's the finished piece, if I'm not stupid enough to try to mess with it before I frame it (I wouldn't put it past myself):

If you think I left this piece alone after all the angst it's given me, you don't know me very well. The funny thing is that I spent maybe another hour on it and I bet hardly anyone will notice the difference, which shows you how unnecessarily compulsive I can be. Considering the risk/reward factor (I've drawn my way right out of perfectly fine pieces before and ruined them), it's a retarded thing to do, but letting it sit there when I think I can improve it feels worse.

Anyway, while you may not be able to tell the difference, at least I didn't trash the piece, either. Here's the updated drawing:

Posted Image

And here's a close-up of his face, which is primarily what I re-worked:

Posted Image

#16 V.I. Tessie

• 1041 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

Geesh....you are obsessive. It was beautiful before and it remains beautiful.

#17 sibpin

• 2628 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

This still looks amazing. If I walk away with this at $400 that is the absolute steal of the auction.

Rip, if I win... take as much time as you need to get this piece the way you want it.

Edited by sibpin, 09 August 2008 - 11:37 PM.

#18 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37976 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:00 AM

Kevin, I see some more definition in the eye, cheekbone and nostril -- it seems to add more intensity to his expression.

That you can perceive such minor points of detail, yet produce such dramatic results when refining them, is simply amazing.

#19 LoweTek

• 767 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

Wow!

#20 LoweTek

• 767 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

$400 going once...

#21 LoweTek

• 767 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

Winning bid $400 to Sibpin. Please Pay Here...

#22 LoweTek

• 767 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

Thank you Sibpin. Your payment has been received.