Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Craig Hansen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
203 replies to this topic

#151 someoneanywhere

• 3156 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

IMO, they will not move Hansen until they are reasonably sure he can succeed in the majors. They aren't going to put a bulls-eye on him, or Cla Meredith him. So while Gammo may be hearing the FO saying good things, I think it would be pretty dumb for them to up him only to have him get clobbered and start all over again.

#152 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16893 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

Starting to feel like a broken record. Yet another solid performance from Hansen, this time only throwing 4 balls in 1.2 innings, with no hits, no walks and 1 K. 1-3 GB-FB, 20-16 Pitches-Strikes (I'll also start keeping track of this)

YTD:
11 IP
1-0
0 Sv
0.00 ERA
2 H
1 R (0 ER)
11 K
3 BB
9.00 K/9
2.45 BB/9
0.0 HR/9
12-10 GB-FB
141-99 Pitches-Strikes (70.2% Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .091

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 21 April 2008 - 04:43 PM.

#153 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23153 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

That ERA looks great but in an attempt to dig deeper at those 11 innings how many Inherited Runners has he allowed to score? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Crap, I’ll venture a guess at not many to none given that he has only allowed 2 hits and 3 walks. Christ that is good. A better question would be how many Inherited Runners has he prevented from scoring?

Edited by rembrat, 20 April 2008 - 12:32 PM.

#154 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17265 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

Edit: Crap, I’ll venture a guess at not many to none given that he has only allowed 2 hits and 3 walks. Christ that is good. A better question would be how many Inherited Runners has he prevented from scoring?

An even better question may be how many inherited runners has he inherited.

April 3rd - Started 6th inning
April 6th - Started 5th inning
April 9th - Started 7th inning
April 11th - Started 7th inning
April 14th - Comes in with 2 outs, runners on 1st and 3rd. Passed Ball allows runner from 3rd to score. Pops up the only batter he faced.
April 16th - Started 7th inning
April 19th - Comes in with 1 out, runner on first. Passed Ball allows runner to move to 2nd. Fly Out allows runner to move to 3rd. Strikeout ends the inning.

So, he has only had 3 inherited runners and only one has scored... but even that has issues attached to it. Like to see him come in with runners on base more, however.

#155 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

That ERA looks great but in an attempt to dig deeper at those 11 innings how many Inherited Runners has he allowed to score? Thanks in advance.

Ask and ye shall receive. Hansen has stranded 2 and had 1 score on a passed ball. In all, neither of the runs Hansen has been on the mound for have been earned (one on an error, another on a passed ball).

edit: Damn, Cuzittt beat me while I was looking though the box scores

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 20 April 2008 - 12:54 PM.

#156 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23153 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

An even better question may be how many inherited runners has he inherited.

April 3rd - Started 6th inning
April 6th - Started 5th inning
April 9th - Started 7th inning
April 11th - Started 7th inning
April 14th - Comes in with 2 outs, runners on 1st and 3rd. Passed Ball allows runner from 3rd to score. Pops up the only batter he faced.
April 16th - Started 7th inning
April 19th - Comes in with 1 out, runner on first. Passed Ball allows runner to move to 2nd. Fly Out allows runner to move to 3rd. Strikeout ends the inning.

So, he has only had 3 inherited runners and only one has scored... but even that has issues attached to it. Like to see him come in with runners on base more, however.

Thanks for the information. I guess the line of thought here is to first give him some low leverage innings and gradually start placing him in real ML reliever situations as the season progresses. If it isn't too much to ask of PSIK it would be great to also keep track of what game situation Hansen enters the game and the results.

#157 tailwind

• too poor to be SoSH Member

• 2102 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

IMO, they will not move Hansen until they are reasonably sure he can succeed in the majors. They aren't going to put a bulls-eye on him, or Cla Meredith him. So while Gammo may be hearing the FO saying good things, I think it would be pretty dumb for them to up him only to have him get clobbered and start all over again.

I agree with your first part, but they already Meredith'd him on his first taste in the majors.

#158 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

Does anyone know if Boston & PawSox management actually want to limit Hansen's exposure to high pressure innings at this point?

Since he really stubbed his toe initially, could this be a way the Sox are trying to bring him along slowly. Get him low pressure outings so that he can really establish his pitching credentials and then work him back into tougher situations. The guy had his confidence slammed once--perhaps the Sox want to build his confidence. It is obviously more difficult to establish his pitches and deal with high pressure situations at the same time.

If this could be the case (and I am not saying that it is) then I would not expect Hansen to be brought up to Boston in the near future.

#159 ElGuapo08comeback

• 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

It's great to see Hansen starting off strong in Pawtucket, but I don't think we need to rush him up to the majors. He's only got 11 IP this season and people shouldn't forget that his numbs in spring training were pretty brutal: 7 IP, 9.00 ERA. Those don't matter too much, but given his past confidence issues I think sox brass is airing on the cautious side.

The related question is how long is the leash on Timlin? It's hard to justify anyone else getting bumped to make room for hansen. It's painful, but I think we have to let him go more than 4.0 IP before giving up on this warrior. Although, watch, the next time he gives up a run I bet Shaugnessey yells down from the ivory tower that it is time for him to hang it up and let the young kids play. he's got to find someone to pick on with Manny being so lights out and schill out of the public conscious....but that is just a sidenote.

Fortunately we're winning ballgames and the starters are starting to give the team more innings so we don't have to rush him along. If Timlin isn't cutting it as we get through May and Hansen is still cruising along then you make the change. We've got a nice stretch of games in mid May against the O's, Twins, Brewers and Royals that would be a good time for him to cut his teeth....

#160 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hansen pitches... [gasp] like a human being! But still, a pretty good one. Came in to start the 7th inning of today's 6-5 win against Buffalo, going 1.1 IP and yielding 1 hit, 1 BB and 2 K's while throwing 26 pitches (15 for strikes) with 2 flyouts and 0 groundouts.

YTD:
12.1 IP
1-0
0 Sv
0.00 ERA
3 H
1 R (0 ER)
13 K
4 BB
9.49 K/9
2.92 BB/9
3.25 K/BB
0.0 HR/9
12-12 GB-FB
167-114 Pitches-Strikes (68.2% Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .125

#161 yecul

• appreciates irony very much

• 14248 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

You have to imagine they will take it slow with him and give him at least half a year and probably a full year. Hansen has had some performance setbacks and - depending on your viewpoint - some health ones as well. Who knows if the sleep apnea was significant? Who knows how much his mechanics changed and what the significance of that was. I think it's a good idea to give him a fair amount of innings to see what he can do over the long(er) haul.

Pulling the trigger on him wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think they wait. Besides, who goes? Lopez? Unlikely. Timlin? Unlikely unless his arm falls off. Would they bring him up for as a DL fill in? Maybe, but even that might be up in the air.

#162 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6846 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:50 AM

The related question is how long is the leash on Timlin? It's hard to justify anyone else getting bumped to make room for hansen.

Cough*AArdsma*cough.

Or Hell, Lopez. Neither is really likely, but neither is making what Timlin is (who also has 10-5 rights and isn't going anywhere without being released) or have his history with the Team. Aardsma has a hard time throwing strikes (somethimes), and Hansen would have to be really good to get Tito to give up his binky.

I'd like to see Hansen throw a few multiple inning stints before he's brought up. He'll probably be eased in in low leverage situations, but with the starters not going that deep into games usually those situations require more than 1 IP.

#163 Quintanariffic

• 4407 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

As a practical matter, Hansen isn't going to get called up until one of the following happens:

1) DL stint from an existing member of the BP

2) Total suckage by Aardsma or maybe Lopez

Now suckage from Timlin may precipitate a phantom DL stint, but the Sox aren't going to release him. Just not happening, no matter the logic that may exist. My guess is that someone will trip that wire prior to August. By August, there would be enough wiggle room such that the Sox could DL someone and play the roster game until they expand in September, giving them almost two months to look at Hansen with the big club. Sounds pretty much like the path Bard may take next year. :)

#164 ragnarok725

• 4030 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

Who knows if the sleep apnea was significant? Who knows how much his mechanics changed and what the significance of that was. I think it's a good idea to give him a fair amount of innings to see what he can do over the long(er) haul.

Well you're right to assume we don't. But the answer to many of those questions is "the Red Sox do".

I think Hansen is probably, at this point, the first bullpen depth guy out there. Somebody will go down with an injury at some point or just demonstrate complete ineffectiveness (Aardsma, Timlin, Lopez as possible candidates). And that's when Hansen will get his shot, I think. If he keeps pitching like this you can't keep him down all year - I'd expect a July call-up.

#165 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

“I’ve gone back to the way I pitched at St. John’s,” the 6-foot-6, 230-pound right-hander said. “My mechanics have changed.”

It was last summer, as he was having problems, that Hansen made changes.

“I decided to do it,” he said. “Halfway through last year I was in a slump, so I decided, you know what, ‘If I’m going to fail, I’m going to do it myself.’ ” This season, he has built on that.

He is, in effect, short-arming the ball the way he did until turning pro. It might not be the style some coaches prefer, but the results are impossible to deny. He is still throwing in the mid- to high-90s and, even better for him, his slider has regained its movement.

Hansen once again is an impressive presence on the hill, although he points out that his improvement goes beyond mound work.

“Basically, I’m staying on a workout routine that’s working for me,” he said. “It’s been working since spring training. I was able to get a lot of things done in spring training that I needed to. Pitching in different situations, getting myself in different situations and pitching my way through it. It helped out a lot.

“Definitely, I feel a confidence boost,” he added. “There are days I go out there now when maybe I’m not feeling as well, maybe I’m a little tired due to a long trip or something, and I’m able to get through it because I know my routine is solid, day in and day out. That’s the thing that gets you through on the days that you don’t have your best stuff.”

Source: http://www.projo.com...v8.38fde5e.html

#166 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17265 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:03 AM

I'd like to see Hansen throw a few multiple inning stints before he's brought up. He'll probably be eased in in low leverage situations, but with the starters not going that deep into games usually those situations require more than 1 IP.

In only 2 of his 8 appearances has Hansen gone one inning or less. Every other appearance has been over 1 inning (4 2 innings, a 1 2/3 inning, a 1 1/3 inning appearances).

#167 yecul

• appreciates irony very much

• 14248 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

Well you're right to assume we don't. But the answer to many of those questions is "the Red Sox do".

Identifying change isn't the key. It's figuring out 1. the significance and 2. whether it lasts that will be most important.

They changed his approach when he came into the system iirc. Now he has changed back. But wasn't part of the reason they changed it due to health concerns with the poor mechanics?

Let me put it another way, I don't want them to rush and I don't think they want to rush.

#168 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8272 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Let me put it another way, I don't want them to rush and I don't think they want to rush.

I agree. I think he has the chance to be special, but his first time up was such a bad experience that I'd rather they take their time, even if it means we lose a couple of 8-7 games with Aardsma or Lopez in April and May.

They changed his approach when he came into the system iirc. Now he has changed back. But wasn't part of the reason they changed it due to health concerns with the poor mechanics?

That's what was publicly said at the time. I also wonder how much was because coaches in general don't like weird mechanics, for understandable reasons. But there is always some guy who thrives with an unorthodox style. The most fun example from my memory is not from baseball, but basketball. Jamaal Wilkes had the most strange, awkward jumpshot I ever saw. I would never teach someone to shoot like that. Some coach probably tried to change it along the way. It's a good thing they ultimately left him alone, because the guy was an assassin.

I know that there are health issues in particular with pitchers, but if he has had success throwing in an unorthodox manner, it might be better for his fragile psyche if they let him keep doing it.

#169 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9556 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

I understand that there's no need to bump anyone from the bullpen at this point, but I can't imagine that Hansen getting called up this season would be "rushing" anything at all. He pitched a full season of AAA ball last year, and he's already 24. I don't see the Sox having Hansen repeat another season in Pawtucket if they think he could be a decent reliever, or at least an upgrade from Timlin/Aardsma.

#170 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Craig Hansen is back in the show

#171 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

Hansen had a decent debut tonight, going 1.2 innings yielding 2 hits, 1 R (earned), 0 BB, 3 K and his 1st HR. The line should've looked more like 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K but Dustin Pedroia dropped a popup, allowing the 7th inning to continue.

#172 burstnbloom

• 977 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

Hansen had a decent debut tonight, going 1.2 innings yielding 2 hits, 1 R (earned), 0 BB, 3 K and his 1st HR. The line should've looked more like 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K but Dustin Pedroia dropped a popup, allowing the 7th inning to continue.

More importantly at this point, I think, is that his stuff is absolutely electric again. I couldn't believe how hard he was throwing and I have never seen his slider look like that. His mechanics are pretty scary but there is no arguing that the change has brought him to a much better place as a pitcher. After seeing that I find it hard to believe that Hansen will be spending much more time in Rhode Island.

#173 dewystoetap

• 360 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

More importantly at this point, I think, is that his stuff is absolutely electric again. I couldn't believe how hard he was throwing and I have never seen his slider look like that. His mechanics are pretty scary but there is no arguing that the change has brought him to a much better place as a pitcher. After seeing that I find it hard to believe that Hansen will be spending much more time in Rhode Island.

I agree. He was flat out filthy last night with one exception. I like MDC, but Hanson's has som much more movement on his pitches I think he will eventually jump ahead.

#174 ham_sandwich

• 158 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:28 AM

I agree. He was flat out filthy last night with one exception. I like MDC, but Hanson's has som much more movement on his pitches I think he will eventually jump ahead.

Apologies for just agreeing with everyone. But yes, I thought his stuff looked fantastic. Late movement on his pitches, something that we didn't see the last time he was up. More importantly, at least for me, he seemed to have a lot more mound presence last night. More confidence.

Edited by ham_sandwich, 24 April 2008 - 09:42 AM.

#175 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20702 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

Forgive the purely anecdotal post, but wasn't his problem last night the same problem he had in 2005 when he was called up? I mean leaving the fastball in a very hittable spot. If I recall correctly, they didn't mess with his mechanics at all in 2005 and he still struggled when he was called up. In fact, this article confirms that.

During the Globe's poll of general managers and player personnel executives this spring, with the topic being Sox prospects, one team said of Hansen, ''We feel he's a dead bullpen guy because of the stress he puts on his delivery. For that reason he can't start."

I remember the first time I saw him pitch He came in to face the Baltimore Orioles and made the first hitter look silly. I was watching at a bar with my dad and got giddy after seeing how filthy his stuff was. Then he started leaving that fastball out over the plate and got rocked for 4 hits and 2ER without being able to finish the inning.

http://boston.redsox.......sp&c_id=bos

I'm not saying he's doomed to failure or anything, but I think a bit of patience is in order here. I like that he apparently went back to the mechanics that he was most effective with and I'm excited to see what he can do. But this talk of him passing MDC on the depth chart feels premature to me. He made a mistake last night. And maybe it will be rare for him to do so going forward. But his track record as a pro suggest it might not be. Let's give this some time and see how he does in his next few outings... assuming he gets called back up again some time soon. :(

#176 burstnbloom

• 977 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

Forgive the purely anecdotal post, but wasn't his problem last night the same problem he had in 2005 when he was called up? I mean leaving the fastball in a very hittable spot. If I recall correctly, they didn't mess with his mechanics at all in 2005 and he still struggled when he was called up. In fact, this article confirms that.
I remember the first time I saw him pitch He came in to face the Baltimore Orioles and made the first hitter look silly. I was watching at a bar with my dad and got giddy after seeing how filthy his stuff was. Then he started leaving that fastball out over the plate and got rocked for 4 hits and 2ER without being able to finish the inning.

http://boston.redsox.......sp&c_id=bos

I'm not saying he's doomed to failure or anything, but I think a bit of patience is in order here. I like that he apparently went back to the mechanics that he was most effective with and I'm excited to see what he can do. But this talk of him passing MDC on the depth chart feels premature to me. He made a mistake last night. And maybe it will be rare for him to do so going forward. But his track record as a pro suggest it might not be. Let's give this some time and see how he does in his next few outings... assuming he gets called back up again some time soon. ;)

While it is true that a big issue with him in 05 was that he was leaving the fastball over the plate, he never looked like he did on Wednesday night while doing it. There is no way to know if his regained stuff will translate to major league success but given the dominance he has shown in Pawtucket and the decent performance minus the home run the other night is certainly cause for optimism. He has never had that slider at the major league level, not even in 05.

#177 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6818 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

Few thoughts on Hansen....

-I cannot believe how much velocity he generates short arming the ball as badly as he does. NESN's gun is not juiced and he was cranking it at 98 MPH. That's a lot of stress on the arm though, so he might as well book some time on Dr. Andrews calendar for sometime in the next year or two.
-Because he generate most of his velocity through his arm, his arm is going to get tired quicker. The longer he was out there the other night the more his velocity decreased. In that second inning he was consistently down in the 93-94 range.
-His slider was absolutely filthy again which is encouraging. Vicious tilt on that bad boy, but he'll need to show that he can throw it for strikes consistently or ML hitters will just start to spit on it. But he gets some pretty nasty two plane movement on it which is the slider that got him drafted.

#178 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

The most impressive thing for me (and I can't really emphasize this enough) is not only the action on his slider, but the fact that it was legitimately blowing by guys at 90 MPH. When a hard slider has that small of a velocity difference from a fastball, it's awfully hard to lay off.

Hansen pitched 2 solid innings today in Pawtucket's 4-1 loss to Buffalo, coming in in the bottom of the 6th and inheriting Jason Tyner on second. He stranded Tyner by inducing a double play after Tyner had reached third on a passed ball. Hansen hit two batters but was perfect otherwise, striking out three. Hansen also induced three groundballs while surrendering zero flyballs, and had 30 pitches (20 for strikes).

YTD:
14.1 IP
1-0
0 Sv
0.00 ERA
3 H
1 R (0 ER)
16 K
4 BB
2 HBP
10.05 K/9
2.51 BB/9
4.00 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
15-12 GB-FB
197-134 Pitches-Strikes (68.0% Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .111
Inherited Runners (Stranded): 4 (3)

#179 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

Ah, reality. For the first time this year, Hansen got roughed up. 1.1 innings, 2 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 HBP and 1 K to raise his ERA to 1.72. Hansen came into the game with a runner on 2nd, who scored on a sac fly, giving Hansen his 2nd run on an inherited runner this year. 2 of Hansen's earned runs came on hits given up by Lincoln Holdzkom, so it's not all bad.

YTD:
15.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.72 ERA
5 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.77 K/9
2.87 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
16-14 GB-FB
232-157 Pitches-Strikes (67.7% Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .167
Inherited Runners (Stranded): 5 (3)

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 30 April 2008 - 05:21 AM.

#180 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hansen bounces back last night with a shutout inning of work in Pawtucket's 4-3 loss to Syracuse. He came in on a clean inning, getting two groundouts before surrendering a single, but induces another force out to get out of the inning. Only 10 pitches for Hansen, with 9 strikes and a 3-0 GB/FB.

YTD:
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB
242-166 Pitches-Strikes (68.6% Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .182

#181 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Hansen Recalled

Reliever Craig Hansen has been called up from Pawtucket to take the roster vacated by Brandon Moss.

#182 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hansen relieved Daisuke Matsuzaka at the top of the 6th tonight, pitching a quick 1-2-3 6th and remaining in for the 7th. In the 7th, Polanco led off with a line drive to center, followed by a Guillen chopper that Hansen couldn't field - scored a base hit, should've been an error. Ordonez then grounded into a big double play, followed by walks to Cabrera and Sheffield. Hansen was then relieved by Okajima, who's been the king of allowing inherited runners recently. Marcus Thames drove in two of Hansen's runners with a single, then getting Renteria to fly out to only have two of Hansen's three runners score.

As SoxScout pointed out in the game thread, Hansen was getting somewhat squeezed but was also missing early in the count to Cabrera and Sheffield.

YTD (MLB):
3.1 IP
0-1
0 Sv
8.10 ERA
4 H
3 R (3 ER)
3 K
2 BB
0 HBP
8.10 K/9
5.40 BB/9
1.50 K/BB
2.70 HR/9
3-2 GB-FB
51-35 Pitches-Strikes (68.6 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .429
Inherited Runners (Stranded): 0 (0)

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 05 May 2008 - 09:03 PM.

#183 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

Hansen pitched a perfect inning in tonight's 5-1 win in Detroit, starting the 8th and inducing two groundballs and a popup with 12 pitches (7 strikes).

YTD (MLB):
4.1 IP
0-1
0 Sv
6.23 ERA
4 H
3 R (3 ER)
3 K
2 BB
0 HBP
6.23 K/9
4.15 BB/9
1.50 K/BB
2.08 HR/9
5-3 GB-FB
63-42 Pitches-Strikes (66.7 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .400
Inherited Runners (Stranded): 0 (0)

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

#184 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

Two outings for Hansen since the last update, one good and one bad. The good one came on the 12th against Minnesota, where Craig started the 7th fresh, got Morneau and Cuddyer to groundout before striking out Craig Monroe. In this outing he had 13 pitches (8 strikes) and the aforementioned 2-0 GB-FB ratio.

The bad outing was last night against Baltimore, where Hansen relieved Javier Lopez with a runner on 1st and 2 outs. Hansen proceeded to surrender a single and a walk, departing in favor of Okajima with the bases loaded. Both of Hansen's runners scored on Payton's grandslam, causing his ERA to soar to 8.44. For this, Hansen was also tagged with the loss. Hansen also had 11 pitches for 6 strikes with a 0-0 GB-FB ratio.

YTD (MLB):
5.1 IP
0-2
0 Sv
8.44 ERA
5 H
5 R (5 ER)
4 K
3 BB
0 HBP
6.75 K/9
5.06 BB/9
1.33 K/BB
1.68 HR/9
7-3 GB-FB
87-56 Pitches-Strikes (64.4 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .250
Inherited Runners (Stranded): 1 (0)

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

#185 sweet sox

• 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

Does that .182 BABIP suggest Hansen is getting somewhat lucky in the minors, or just a much lower quality of hitter?

This guy is so frustrating, every time he looks like he is on the verge of breaking out he loses it.

#186 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

Does that .182 BABIP suggest Hansen is getting somewhat lucky in the minors, or just a much lower quality of hitter?

This guy is so frustrating, every time he looks like he is on the verge of breaking out he loses it.

For me it just suggests his hits against should've been a bit higher, leading to perhaps a couple more runs - nothing earth-shattering in terms of ERA, perhaps closer to 3 than he's at currently. Indeed, he's been a bit frustrating to watch, but his stuff is back with the reversion in mechanics so hopefully he'll bounce back to form.

#187 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:11 AM

The good news: Tonight's outing against Milwaukee lowered Hansen's ERA, and he got the win (the third in his career). The bad news: He still pitched rather poorly. Starting the top of the 7th clean, he yielded a single, followed by a strikeout, two consecutive errors, an RBI on a groundout, a double, and a foul out. The total damage was three runs,. all unearned for Hansen, with a strikeout and no walks, with 28 pitches (17 for strikes) and a 1-1 GB-FB.

YTD (MLB):
6.1 IP
1-2
0 Sv
7.11 ERA
7 H
8 R (5 ER)
5 K
3 BB
0 HBP
7.11 K/9
4.26 BB/9
1.67 K/BB
1.42 HR/9
8-4 GB-FB
115-73 Pitches-Strikes (63.5 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .389

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 18 May 2008 - 01:15 AM.

#188 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25252 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:02 AM

The good news: Tonight's outing against Milwaukee lowered Hansen's ERA, and he got the win (the third in his career). The bad news: He still pitched rather poorly. Starting the top of the 7th clean, he yielded a single, followed by a strikeout, two consecutive errors, an RBI on a groundout, a double, and a foul out.

So, he got four consecutive outs, five outs in seven batters, and pitched rather poorly. That's the problem with numbers

#189 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

So, he got four consecutive outs, five outs in seven batters, and pitched rather poorly. That's the problem with numbers

He gave up a single and a double and had a wild pitch as well. Poorly may not be the best term, but he gave up a lot of balls in play for the amount of batters he faced and it hurt him. He didn't really pitch well last night.

#190 sodenj5

• 1820 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

It wasn't lights out, but the 2 errors behind him could have really bailed him out. I wouldn't call that a bad outing from Hansen, he just had some bad luck.

#191 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

It wasn't lights out, but the 2 errors behind him could have really bailed him out. I wouldn't call that a bad outing from Hansen, he just had some bad luck.

That's fair - again, poorly might be a strong term, but it's hard to overlook three runs, be they earned or not. At least he only gave up one hard-hit ball.

#192 burstnbloom

• 977 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

That's fair - again, poorly might be a strong term, but it's hard to overlook three runs, be they earned or not. At least he only gave up one hard-hit ball.

I'm with the crowd here. I thought Hansen pitched pretty well last night. His first four batters he got a lazy grounder through the left side, a K where he overpowered Corey Hart, a slow chopper to Lowell that should have been an out, and a week grounder to Cora that should have been an out. I think given the kids stuff is fantastic now that the most encouraging thing about him pitching lately is the quotes you get from him show far more confidence than we have seen in the past. If he gets his head to match that stuff, watch out. I expect big things in the next month or so.

"I don't know if my luck is turning just yet," said Hansen. "I don't know if a win is going to change my luck, but I feel like I'm starting to hit the groove where I'm pitching to certain situations, getting certain pitches that I need in certain situations, like forcing ground balls. It's just all part of the game, I guess."

Quote from this article

Edited by burstnbloom, 18 May 2008 - 10:13 AM.

#193 sox junky

• 946 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Also, the wild pitch could very easily have been called a passed ball instead (Remy thought it should have been a passed ball).

#194 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17270 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

He didn't need to be bailed out, he needed his fielders to make routine plays.

#195 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 7912 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

I'm pretty much with you on the general feelings of frustration evoked by Hansen's uneven development (I suggested at one point early last season that he be sent back to Portland) but it's very easy for me to overlook those three runs. Generally speaking, runs resulting from errors are designated "unearned" for a valid reason.

As for last night's outing specifically, it's not like Hansen went into meltdown mode following a miscue. After Lowell boots Kapler's ground ball, Hansen then induces another ground ball--which Cora boots. Hansen then throws another ground ball, which his infield miraculously turns into a force out. The subsequent wild pitch to Counsell is on Hansen, although it's worth noting that the pitch was a swinging strike--not something so wild that it hit the mascot. I know it's not in vogue to admit that Craig Counsell might be capable of putting a ball in play at this point in his career, but his double--again on the ground--was a pretty good piece of hitting on a pitch below his knees.

Sorry. End rant. I'm just still oxboggled by posters last night who took the outing to be clear evidence that he has no business in the big leagues. He got five outs that inning (three on the ground, a harmless popup and a K), and there are exactly two guys on the staff who might have a chance of not being scored on in that situation.

#196 Calipso

• 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

I think Hansen did rather well. Definately getting better slowly but surely.

#197 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hansen came in in the 6th inning tonight, relieving Bartolo Colon in a 5-2 game. He got a 5 pitch K on Billy Butler on an 88 MPH slider, a first pitch groundout for John Buck, and a groundout for Tony Pena Jr. He only had 10 pitches (6 strikes) and a 2-0 GB-FB ratio, a very encouraging outing.

YTD (MLB):
7.1 IP
1-2
0 Sv
6.14 ERA
7 H
8 R (5 ER)
6 K
3 BB
0 HBP
7.36 K/9
3.68 BB/9
2.00 K/BB
1.23 HR/9
10-4 GB-FB
125-79 Pitches-Strikes (63.2 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .375

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

#198 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

And round and round the Hansen carousel goes, following up a good outing with a bit of a stinker. He started the 7th inning yielding a homer to Jose Guillen, followed by a walk, double, a popout, flyout, another walk, and a groundout. He had 24 pitches and only 13 strikes to go along with a 1-2 GO-FO ratio.

YTD (MLB):
8.1 IP
1-2
0 Sv
7.56 ERA
9 H
10 R (7 ER)
6 K
5 BB
0 HBP
6.48 K/9
5.40 BB/9
1.20 K/BB
2.16 HR/9
11-6 GB-FB
149-92 Pitches-Strikes (61.7 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .368

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

#199 PedroSpecialK

• 16893 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hansen entered the game today in the bottom of the 6th with the A's up 4-3. He induced a popup on an 0-2 pitch from Ryan Sweeney, yielded a 2-0 single to Kurt Suzuki, got a first pitch groundout (nearly a DP) on Jack Hannahan, and getting a 2-0 flyout from Bobby Crosby. He threw 10 pitches on 6 strikes with a 1-2 GB-FB ratio in the inning.

Hansen came back out for the bottom of the 7th, with the first batter (Mike Sweeney) taking two really solid sliders for strikes. Sweeney eventually K'd on a high fastball. Hansen started him off with another first pitch slider for a called strike - Thomas ended up lining one by Julio Lugo for a single. Emil Brown popped out to center before Hansen was relieved by Javier Lopez. Hansen's runner came around to score on a first-pitch HR by Jack Cust. In the 7th, Hansen had 12 pitches with 7 strikes and a 0-1 GB-FB ratio.

Not a bad outing at all from what I saw - fell behind a couple hitters in the 7th 2-0, but only surrendered Suzuki and Thomas' hits as hard hit balls. Sucks that he got another earned run from the Cust HR, but that's how the cookie's crumbled for him this year at the major league level.

YTD (MLB):
10.0 IP
1-2
0 Sv
7.20 ERA
11 H
11 R (8 ER)
7 K
5 BB
0 HBP
6.30 K/9
4.50 BB/9
1.40 K/BB
1.80 HR/9
12-9 GB-FB
171-105 Pitches-Strikes (61.4 % Strikes)
Opponent BABIP: .391

YTD (AAA):
16.2 IP
1-0
0 Sv
1.62 ERA
6 H
4 R (3 ER)
17 K
5 BB
3 HBP
9.18 K/9
2.70 BB/9
3.40 K/BB
0.00 HR/9
19-14 GB-FB

#200 LondonSox

• 4705 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

I'd agree I thought he looked solid tonight, disappointing that he gets nothing great to show from it, I thought the way he was throwing it was really overmanagement to bring in Lopez in that spot. I think he's looked so much better than his ERA in the majors, the concerns have to be the walks. He still throws a lot of balls, which with his FB stuff and slider he needs to go after people for me.