Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Craig Hansen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
203 replies to this topic

#51 XNOUGHT

• Patriots Fan

• 3,497 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

It is disturbing to think the Red Sox destroyed this young man's career.

#52 Ortizzleforshizzle

• 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

A more positive outing for Hansen tonight: 2.1 IP, 3H (all singles, one of which occurred when Hansen missed tagging first base), 0 R, 1BB, 4K's (3K's on sliders).

Reason for edit: getting the facts straight.

Edited by Ortizzleforshizzle, 15 July 2007 - 08:00 PM.

#53 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 17,025 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

Another shaky outing after that one, going 1 inning yielding 3 hits, 1 earned run but striking out 2 without walking any. His most recent outing has given me reason to get excited about Hansen for the first time in a very long time. He went 3 innings yesterday against Louisville, yielding 1 hit and 0 runs while striking out 5 and walking none. Perhaps this is the corner we've been waiting for him to turn all year - in his last 6.1 IP, he's got 7 H, 1 ER, and 11 K with 1 BB.

#54 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:34 AM

Another positive outing from Hansen, earning the win against Toledo to bring him to 2-1 with a 4.91 ERA. He went 1.1 innings yielding 2 hits and striking out one. That brings the total of his last 7.1 innings to 8 hits, 1 ER, and a 12-1 K-BB rate.

YTD:
32 G
2-1
4.91 ERA
40.1 IP
51 H
28 R (22 ER)
2 HR (0.44 HR/9)
37 K (8.26 K/9)
26 BB (5.80 BB/9)
1.42 K/BB

#55 sodenj5

• 2,002 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

A blurb on Hansen from Jim Callis in an ESPN chat:

Brendan-Boston: Craig Hansen, choose one: A. Perennial All-Star B. One All-Star Game C. Closer at some point for a good team D. Closer at some point for a bad team E. Journeyman middle relief F. Cup of coffee guy G. Bust. Never makes it out of AAA again.

Jim Callis: Right now, I'd have to go with E. He's not close to the same guy he was coming out of St. John's.

#56 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

2 more encouraging outings for hansen, totalling 3.1 IP with 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB and 2 K's. While not world-beating, he certainly seems to have regained something that he didn't have since coming out of college. A blurb in the globe a few days back (can't find the link) details Hansen explaining that he feels that he's regained his slider to some extent, and the results are definitely showing it, with a 15-3 K-BB in his last 12 IP.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 28 July 2007 - 05:35 PM.

#57 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

Another great outing for Hansen, at least in terms of his stuff coming back. 3 hits and no runs in 2 innings against colorado springs on the 30th, but no walks and 5 strike outs. He's back.

#58 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:05 AM

As has been noted in the 'Craig Hansen's Resurrection' thread, Hansen is currently sidelined with a swollen elbow.

#59 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hansen's back, with a 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K outing on the 24th and a perfect 1 K inning on the 26th. ERA down to 4.15 on the year with a 46-30 K-BB in 47.2 IP

#60 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Another extremely encouraging appearance for Hansen on the 29th as he returns from his swollen elbow, going 1.2 perfect innings, striking out 2 batters. He's now got a 4.01 ERA on the year (who would've thought that possible in early July?) along with a 48-30 K-BB in 49.1 IP. He's also held a 2.59 GO/AO ratio and has given up only 2 homers on the year. Count me as excited about this young man's future.

#61 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

Not quite as strong last night, going 1.1 innings yielding 2 hits and a walk with no strikeouts.

#62 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Blown save for Hansen today, going 0.2 IP with 1 unearned run, 0 H, 1 BB and 0 K.

#63 Crazy Puppy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

Blown save for Hansen today, going 0.2 IP with 1 unearned run, 0 H, 1 BB and 0 K.

He also hit a batter, apparently in retaliation for McEwing getting hit in the neck, and was ejected.

The gesture did not go unnoticed with McEwing, a veteran of 754 major-league games.

“I don’t know if it was intentionally or not, but it’s much appreciated,” he said. “When a teammate has got your back it means a lot, and I would go to war with him any day of the week. It meant a lot, it really did. He’s been that way for me all year.”

Even though Hansen will not join the Red Sox for the stretch run, he let Boston vice president of personnel Ben Cherington and director of player development Mike Hazen, who were in attendance yesterday, know that he’s ready to be a good teammate by doing what’s necessary.

“It goes a long way,” said McEwing. “He’s definitely somebody you’d dive in a foxhole with. It definitely means a lot.”

ProJo

#64 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

A surprisingly negative article on Hansen's season from the ProJo:

http://www.projo.com...9E.3427506.html

PAWTUCKET — The Red Sox have to be disappointed in the development of pitching prospect Craig Hansen this season.

If someone had said prior to spring training that the hard-throwing right-hander would not pitch for the Boston Red Sox at any point this season, most would not have believed it.

Believe it.

Hansen was told yesterday by Red Sox management that he will not be a September call-up, so his season is effectively over. He struggled in badly in spring training. He also struggled for the first half of the season with the PawSox while battling through an elbow injury. He turned it around a bit in the second half and finished strong.

Overall, though, most would consider 2007 a letdown for Hansen.

“I would (put) the other spin on it,” said PawSox pitching coach Mike Griffin. “I think it was a very good developmental year for Craig Hansen. There were some things he had to find out. There were some things he had to correct. He is now on that verge of correcting those things. He’s now ready to go into next year with everything in place to do what he has to do.”

#65 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 9,425 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

A surprisingly negative article on Hansen's season from the ProJo:

http://www.projo.com...9E.3427506.html

He has been getting a lot of bizarrely negative coverage in the "summing up the minor league season" wave of media recently. BA put him in the disappointment category of its final hot sheet, saying "He's lost his release point on his once-wicked slider, allowed 58 hits in 51 innings for the PawSox, and walked 32 while striking out just 48. In other words . . . he's still not ready."

I guess they didn't notice that he found that release point again, and dominated in the last month.

Maybe I would be singing a different tune if things weren't going so well for the team at the major league level, but overall I'm very happy with Hansen's year. People in the media seem to forget how much he struggled with the team last year (6.63 ERA!) and how much work he clearly needed to do. The last month is probably the best stretch of professional baseball he's ever pitched, and he seems primed to compete for a spot in the bullpen next year. If there were some bumps along the way, so be it. Hopefully they just make him a bit mentally tougher.

#66 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Agreed. I could definitely see him slotting in behind Delcarmen to start the year and ahead of Snyder in the sort of 6th/7th inning role Joel Pineiro had when he was with the team this year. Hopefully he retains his newly rediscovered slider come the spring.

#67 Titoschew

• 2,917 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

Finding that release point is very big for him, as it showed in the last month or so. When he can hide the slider near the jersey via his release point, he is close to dominant. That is how he was so successful in college and on the Cape. Not to mention he wasnt overthrowing his heater the last month, either.

Hope to see him do better in Fort Myers next spring.

#68 GreyisGone

• 1,134 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

On Rotoworld today:

Craig Hansen will pitch in the Arizona Fall League.

It's rather unusual for a player with major league experience to play in the AFL, but Hansen is okay with it as his workload was limited this season because he was sidelined for three weeks. Hansen will undergo surgery for apnea, a sleep disorder that affects breathing.

#69 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,251 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

• Craig Hansen (Red Sox) was awful in two outings. He delivered 88-91 mph on the gun the first time and 91-93 the second outing, with Craig Tatum (Reds) pulling one of his fastballs down the left-field line for a home run. Hansen still can't throw his slider for strikes. It has a huge break, but it's always down and away to right-handed hitters, who didn't seem to have any trouble laying off it.

Keith Law

#70 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,887 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Craig Hansen dials.
Finally the phone rings, playing Richard Strauss's Thus Sprach Zarathustra.
A disinterested voice grumbles its identity over the line. "Me."
"Mr. Boras?"
"Who's this and how'd you get my number?"
"It's me, Craig."
" . . . "
"Craig Hansen."
"Oh, of course. I remember you. $7 million major league contract."
"Um, yeah, that-that was the contract you got for me. Thanks, uh, thanks for that. But, uh . . . "
"But what? Let's move it along, Greg."
"Craig!"
"Tick tock Greg."
"Craig! Craig Hansen! And I appreciate the great contract but I'm . . I'm not getting anywhere. I'm not getting anywhere!"
"Neither's this conversation, Greg."
"Craig! Craig Hansen! Listen, I've been following what your guy said to do and it's . . it's not working. I can't get my slider over and I think I only threw like 91 this last time out. Frigging kids in the Arizona league are working me over. I-I almost wonder if I should listen to the Red Sox people."
"Greg! Listen to me. The team doesn't have your interests in mind. They'd be happy to burn you out and have you throw with that same violent motion you did in college and have a few great years then hurt yourself in your 3rd or 4th year and never make the big money. They don't care about you, Greg! I . . . <beep> Gotta go Greg. Stoneman with another hypothetical discussion-"
"But Mr.-"
<dial tone>

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 16 October 2007 - 11:40 AM.

#71 OrvilleOverall

• 49 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

I mentioned this in another topic, but does anyone have any idea why his velocity is down so much in the AFL? Is he hurt or something or just decided to hit the donuts harder than he hit the weights come September?

#72 PedroSpecialK

• 17,025 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:41 AM

I mentioned this in another topic, but does anyone have any idea why his velocity is down so much in the AFL? Is he hurt or something or just decided to hit the donuts harder than he hit the weights come September?

Just from pure speculation (haven't seen any in print) I assume that the layoff couldn't have helped him, and I don't think that the time off during the year necessarily had to be made up. I think they should've let him go into ST '08 on a high note.

#73 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

They're running out of time with Hansen though. We'll be going into the 4th year of his major league contract.

#74 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

They're running out of time with Hansen though. We'll be going into the 4th year of his major league contract.

The only issue with him is options, which he runs out of in 2009. The years on the contract don't mean much.

#75 jthursto

• 476 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

Read in the most recent issue of Baseball America (don't subscribe, so no linky) that Hansen suffers from sleep apnea. This is the first I've heard of this. Is this news to anyone else? If true, I would guess has the potential to negatively impact his performance, if not treated adequately. Perhaps his positive end of season results and his recent outings in the AFL might have something to do with an improved treatment plan as well as mechanical adjustments. Anyone out there familiar with this and what the physical ramifications might be for an athlete suffering from this problem?

#76 67WasBest

• Concierge

• 2,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

Read in the most recent issue of Baseball America (don't subscribe, so no linky) that Hansen suffers from sleep apnea. This is the first I've heard of this. Is this news to anyone else? If true, I would guess has the potential to negatively impact his performance, if not treated adequately. Perhaps his positive end of season results and his recent outings in the AFL might have something to do with an improved treatment plan as well as mechanical adjustments. Anyone out there familiar with this and what the physical ramifications might be for an athlete suffering from this problem?

Fatigue is one issue related to sleep apnea. Lack of concentration would be another. Both are issues that could, at least in part, explain some of his problems.

#77 SouthPaw21

• 1,220 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

According to Baseball America and RotoWorld.com, Craig Hansen has been sent home from the AFL...

Craig Hansen has been sent home from the Arizona Fall League after allowing three runs in five innings.
Hansen struck out seven and allowed just one hit in his final three appearances. Still, the Red Sox figured he had reached his limit for the season. It's expected that he'll soon undergo surgery for the sleep disorder apnea.

Red Sox righthander Craig Hansen, the 26th overall pick in 2005, was replaced on the Solar Sox roster by righthander Lincoln Holdzkom. Hansen went 0-1, 5.40 in just five innings in the AFL, but rolled up a lot of ground balls in his limited workload. His fastball for Mesa was in the 88-92 mph range, and showed good late life with is mid-80s slider. This is Holdzkom’s third straight Fall League stint with three different teams .

Edited by SouthPaw21, 23 October 2007 - 02:28 PM.

#78 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,773 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

Fatigue is one issue related to sleep apnea. Lack of concentration would be another. Both are issues that could, at least in part, explain some of his problems.

If Hansen suffers from sleep apnea, it goes a long way in explaining his on-field issues. Before I had surgery to correct my sleep apnea issue, I spent 6-8 months in a heavy fog. I was always tired, always short of breath, unable to concentrate, and physically was just worn down from the simplest activities.

Hopefully, with this surgery Hansen will be able to get a good, restful 8 hours of sleep. And when he does, he'll feel a lot better. And that, maybe, leads to him pitching better.

#79 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

I don't buy it. It would have affected him in college. Do you mean to tell me his stuff was so overpowering he could dominate while totally exhausted?

#80 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,773 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

I don't buy it. It would have affected him in college. Do you mean to tell me his stuff was so overpowering he could dominate while totally exhausted?

Uh, I led a pretty normal life up until my tonsils, wisdom teeth and a particularly nasty bout with strep throat brought on my apnea at age 25.

Not every medical condition presents symptoms from the day you are born, and some develop along with your body. As Craig Hansen was 19-20-21 in college, it's not inconceivable that its cropped up in the 2+ years since he joined the Red Sox.

Further, the difference between being a college student/athlete (with the associated reduced practice/travel schedule) and being a professional athlete (training year-round, day-in-day-out workouts, etc.) is rather large. There's literally thousands of examples of "dominant" college athletes who don't possess 1/10th of the necessary talent to be a professional.

I would suggest, that if you "don't buy it" you do a little research before posting about your ignorance as if it were a badge of honor. WebMD and other sites have extensive reading material about sleep apnea.

#81 67WasBest

• Concierge

• 2,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

Is it not possible he did not have this affliction in college? Is it not possible he was so much better than his competition in college the fatigue didn't matter in that short season?

Edit, wasted post, Soxfan121 did it better

Edited by 67WasBest, 23 October 2007 - 08:16 PM.

#82 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, you guys are right. That was a stupid post, even for me. Sorry bout that.

#83 ichirob4ichiro

• 1,631 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, you guys are right. That was a stupid post, even for me. Sorry bout that.

Wait, I thought the point of this game was to get the highest post count?

#84 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,305 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:46 PM

Uh, I led a pretty normal life up until my tonsils, wisdom teeth and a particularly nasty bout with strep throat brought on my apnea at age 25.

Not every medical condition presents symptoms from the day you are born, and some develop along with your body. As Craig Hansen was 19-20-21 in college, it's not inconceivable that its cropped up in the 2+ years since he joined the Red Sox.

Further, the difference between being a college student/athlete (with the associated reduced practice/travel schedule) and being a professional athlete (training year-round, day-in-day-out workouts, etc.) is rather large. There's literally thousands of examples of "dominant" college athletes who don't possess 1/10th of the necessary talent to be a professional.

I would suggest, that if you "don't buy it" you do a little research before posting about your ignorance as if it were a badge of honor. WebMD and other sites have extensive reading material about sleep apnea.

Our own Eric Van might know a little something about this topic too.

#85 January

• PipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

Our own Eric Van might know a little something about this topic too.

Or Doc.

Screw it. 1 2.

The summary: It's more of a condition that can have a number of causes than an actual disease itself. It also doesn't seem like the type of thing would indicate long term or other problems. Hard to tell how much of his problems come from it, but hey, good luck.

#86 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,939 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

In the Big East? Yeah, probably.

#87 doc

• 2,675 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Or Doc.

Screw it. 1 2.

The summary: It's more of a condition that can have a number of causes than an actual disease itself. It also doesn't seem like the type of thing would indicate long term or other problems. Hard to tell how much of his problems come from it, but hey, good luck.

Nice links, I'd like to know the type of surgery he's having because he certainly isn't the Pickwickian body type. And yes Imgran you can suddenly develop sleep apnea and it can cause profound sleep deprivation that can cause one to not be fully with it during the course of the day. Now remember in Pawtucket earlier this year he and MDC got dubbed Beavis and Butthead for presumed partying behavior, maybe the glassy eyed look of sleep deprivation was mistaken for late night adventuring. An odd thing is that some patients aren't aware of the apnea as they never complete a sleep cycle and get fully rested but never really wake up so that they are aware of it, so unless someone is heavy sleep apnea may not be checked out for a while.

#88 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

My brother has this stuff, actually -- that's why I'm skeptical, I have a hard time believing someone who has it can even compete professionally. Guy's an absolute wreck.

Actually Hansen wasn't really all that bad last year until the second half, he certainly logged a lot of effective innings and he was better than Seanez and Tavarez as long as he was kept in a 1 inning role -- about the time of the Massacre he was in the low 4's of ERA -- then he hit a wall and never recovered. I always wondered if something happened to him medically about then. But I was thinking, arm or leg. Ability to recover affected by lack of sleep might answer some stuff.

Edited by Imgran, 24 October 2007 - 11:56 AM.

#89 January

• PipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

My brother has this stuff, actually -- that's why I'm skeptical, I have a hard time believing someone who has it can even compete professionally. Guy's an absolute wreck.

Actually Hansen wasn't really all that bad last year until the second half, he certainly logged a lot of effective innings and he was better than Seanez and Tavarez as long as he was kept in a 1 inning role -- about the time of the Massacre he was in the low 4's of ERA -- then he hit a wall and never recovered. I always wondered if something happened to him medically about then. But I was thinking, arm or leg. Ability to recover affected by lack of sleep might answer some stuff.

There are probably degree's of severity. If he's effectively losing, say an hour, you can function, but you won't be 100%.

#90 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

Is it possible that he could be more effective if he's given extra rest? If he regained his stuff under a Hansen-specific version of the Joba Rules, perhaps it'd be worth having him in that kind of role.

#91 January

• PipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Is it possible that he could be more effective if he's given extra rest? If he regained his stuff under a Hansen-specific version of the Joba Rules, perhaps it'd be worth having him in that kind of role.

Out of curiosity: I think there is some way players could 'build up' their stamina. I know they used to do it the hard way by just seeing which pitchers could take it, but you gotta thing that if you had an actual program, rather than having 100 players and ending up with 40 who can throw 200 innings a year, you could end up with 60, but it may take a few of them several years to reach that level.

#92 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

My brother has this stuff, actually

This stuff? And at what level of competition is your brother an athlete?

#93 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

If you're in that much of a mood to pounce, don't let me stop you, but I thought I was pretty clear with what I meant.

#94 Pork Fried Jim Rice

• 593 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Extra rest gives extra time for the muscles to recover and strengthen, if Hansen is struggling because he's not concentrating and not getting a full night sleep then there's no sort of Joba rules that's going to correct this. It's hard to know how severe the apnea is, and for all we know it hasn't affected his pitching at all. I'd like to be optimistic and assume he has and that next season he'll come out as Papelbon part 2, but we'll just have to wait and see.

#95 GreyisGone

• 1,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

This was kind of just thrown into the middle of Gammons' blog today:

Craig Hansen seemed to rediscover his delivery and sinker. "He was back to where he was in college," says one scout. "He wasn't trying to overthrow, but getting great sink at 89-94 and regaining his slider. He looked really good."

Edited by GreyisGone, 07 November 2007 - 01:21 PM.

#96 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

Craig Hansen, who was a No. 1 pick in 2005, has stalled, but throws in the mid-90s and could attract teams who believe all he needs is a fresh start.

Source: http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3091023

#97 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 8,044 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

Kind of a pointed juxtaposition there, to say that the Sox need another power arm to complement Oki, and then categorize Hansen as "trade bait" ten lines down.

#98 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,904 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

Could Queens be considered a 'fresh start', since it's so close to home and college? Sounds like Gammons is in 'shill' mode for the FO, and Gammons and Omar do chat regularly.

I don't buy all the Gagne and Cordero talk coming out in the NY papers........

#99 jthursto

• 476 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:51 AM

Could Queens be considered a 'fresh start', since it's so close to home and college? Sounds like Gammons is in 'shill' mode for the FO, and Gammons and Omar do chat regularly.

I don't buy all the Gagne and Cordero talk coming out in the NY papers........

Take a quick look at the byline. This piece came from Sean McAdam. I wouldn't read too much into it. This is the time of year guys like McAdam get hit up to do writeups from everyone from ESPN to Street and Smith. So if you look there's bound to be things that either seem inconsistent or suggestive of something larger. I take it that the writer is merely trying to cover a lot of bases in limited inches to give the casual reader an idea of the landscape.

#100 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,251 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

Craig Hansen struggles to fix sleep disorder

07:45 AM EST on Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Reliever Craig Hansen, a first-round pick in 2005 who has stalled badly the last two seasons, recently underwent a procedure to correct sleep apnea.

The problem is said to have limited Hansen’s ability to rebound from workouts, as he often found himself tired.

“We met with him at the end of the season,” said general manager Theo Epstein, referring to himself, manager Terry Francona and pitching coach John Farrell, “and we filled him in on what our expectations were.”

http://www.projo.com...n.677f3f65.html

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 04 December 2007 - 01:24 PM.