Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Dale and Holley: Sports Talk Show Hosts Who Talk Sports

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
284 replies to this topic

#251 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Anyone just hear the caller who said they should have Adrian Gonzalez hitting 8th, or as he put it, break the order into two halves of 4 and have Adrian Gonzalez in the second clean-up spot? Hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Surviving Grady guy said bat Crawford 9th.

#252 the1andonly3003

• 991 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

last Dale & Holley show today

#253 Andy Merchant

• 258 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Just heard Holley say that. I wonder what they're going to do on Thu-Fri from 10-2?

#254 the1andonly3003

• 991 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

Just heard Holley say that. I wonder what they're going to do on Thu-Fri from 10-2?

according to WEEI.com program schedule Neumy is hosting....not sure if he has a co-host

Edited by the1andonly3003, 23 February 2011 - 01:18 PM.

#255 the1andonly3003

• 991 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

Tito just called in...Dale sounds like he is choking up during this final hour of D&H

#256 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,068 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

Tito just called in...Dale sounds like he is choking up during this final hour of D&H

Now they're playing a bunch of his calls and words of congrats/farewell from a bunch of people (Doc Emrick, Tom Coughlin, Lyndon Byers among the names I caught). It probably will get dusty in that studio.

#257 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,324 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

Bourque just called in and you could tell when they were saying farewells MH had to take over. I actually enjoyed listening to these guys while i'm at work the last few years. Dale does get a little stale sometimes but it never really bothered me. It's sort of like having a play by play guy and then a color commentator.

ed - nm

Edited by 24JoshuaPoint, 23 February 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#258 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,068 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Don't know what will make this farewell hour more complete for Dale...hearing from his old partner Eddie or having Frank from Gloucester call in to cry like he did when Neumy left.

#259 Vinho Tinto

• 3,701 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

Bourque just called in and you could tell when they were saying farewells MH had to take over. I actually enjoyed listening to these guys while i'm at work the last few years. Dale does get a little stale sometimes but it never really bothered me. It's sort of like having a play by play guy and then a color commentator.

20 years ago ... I entered Boston sports radio..... with two huge chins .... *breaking down* ... and a dream to become a bland media personality ..... *getting worse* and I thank God *getting pitiful* that dream came true!!!!

#260 the1andonly3003

• 991 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

I hope WEEI posts this final hour

#261 crossfire

• 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

I can't believe its over. I'm going to miss this show alot.

#262 Phenom

• as if andy gresh and gary tanguay had a baby

• 977 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

You can tell this all meant a lot to Dale...

He's been a pro for a long time. This kind of thing happens but you can tell it was difficult for him to take. All the best.

#263 Andy Merchant

• 258 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, Dale seemed emotional enough where he wasn't able to say much at the end of the show. I've been listening to various incarnations of his show since 1995 and find it strange that it's over. Hopefully he'll land elsewhere and keep doing what he likes to do.

#264 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,330 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Funny line entering the last hour. They were talking about the technical staff and whether they would stay with the show going forward. After saying they would Holley then asked if anyone had even said anything to them about their status at which point the producer said we haven't seen Jason Wolfe in about 3 weeks.

Dale then said, "I've seen him once in the last month ... that was enough."

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 23 February 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#265 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4,789 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Good luck to Dale, I am just about 27 years old and ever since I have been able to listen to sports radio I have always listened to the midday show on WEEI. Without Dale on there it is just going to be weird, and I will definitely miss it. I don't know talk radio without Dale Arnold. I hope he lands somewhere else soon, it won't be the same.

#266 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,152 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

Although I found Dale stale at times, he seemed like a good guy and I always enjoyed his hockey insight. In the show's final minutes he brought up a story about bumping into a guy who was recently laid off after being at the same company for 30 something years. The man has a 15 year old son and doesn't know how he's going to get by with a son getting ready for college. Dale told the story and said he realized he was so much luckier than most. Then talked about still being with the station for a short while longer in other capacities.

He was obviously sad, but still went out classy. I have a feeling we aren't going to be reading his facebook page two years from now threatening a lawsuit if he doesn't get a job interview somewhere else.

Good luck Arnold.

#267 the1andonly3003

• 991 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:41 PM

I'll be sad to see this thread mothballed...going through this thread from the first page brought back some good times

Chad Finn had a recap here if anyone missed it:

http://www.boston.co...d_signs_of.html

but looks like WEEI put up the audio...it will probably stay up until Monday, when the new show starts

edit: Neumy & Kirk Minihane tomorrow, John Rooke and Minhane on Friday

Edited by the1andonly3003, 23 February 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#268 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,795 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

Ordway lavished a lot of praise on Dale in the opening section of his show. Hey, Glenn, if you had done a better job, Dale would still have his gig!

#269 Gambler7

• 3,075 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Dale was really broken up right before the end of the 12 o clock hour. That's when Holley first mentioned it's their last show and he told a story about Dale and his kids and how he is now realizing what it means to be a Father, etc and how that's more important than anything else. Talked about how tight of a bond Dale had with his kids and what an amazing Father he was to them and he can only hope to be that, etc. Dale couldn't even barely get two words out after that, not sure if they included that in the online segment, but it was pretty good.

It really hit me driving in this morning how much I will miss this show. I really loved it during baseball season and for a little hockey insight. I always thought their weekly interviews were great (minus a few Pats ones). This kind of sucks.

#270 deborafitz

• 128 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

Why couldn’t they have kept Dale on the 10-2 spot with Lou Merloni?. I like Lou and think he will do a good job, but I think Dale would have been a better compliment to him than Mike Mutnansky. (hockey knowledge etc). I am also going to miss Mike Mutnansky on the Saturday spot. Did anyone happen to listen to last Saturday’s fill-in? I have no idea who it was, but it was a big downgrade from Mut. I hope they get someone for that slot to make the drive to and from Fenway for Saturday games a little more enjoyable!
Very sad to see a classy guy who did a nice job treated this way. Thank you Dale!

#271 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,268 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

Well, now I have no reason whatsoever to tune in to WEEI.

D&H was by no means must-listen, but it was the only listenable thing on other than games.

#272 the1andonly3003

• 991 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

reuniting Dale and Neumy would have been fun

#273 Phenom

• 977 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

reuniting Dale and Neumy would have been fun

No...Neumy has become almost unlistenable to me. I don't know if he had a few too many drinks under the hot Miami sun, but he STUMBLES through a show now.

But yeah, the way they got rid of Dale was crappy. He almost broke down at several points yesterday. Again, because Michael Holley was probably given a substantial raise to move up to afternoon drive, it is understandable as to why they would want to go a little cheaper in the midday. The fact is, Mutnansky and Merloni may not draw "Dale and Holley" numbers, but they'll come close enough.

My only problem has been with the way this was handled. Dale Arnold deserves a more respect than what he got.

#274 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,324 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Well, now I have no reason whatsoever to tune in to WEEI.

Agree. I don't know what it is about the other shows (i have a pretty good idea) but they just seem like horrible. Sans Mike Adams, although i'm not usually able to tune in b/c i'm not typically in the car or at work.

#275 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,787 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

No...Neumy has become almost unlistenable to me. I don't know if he had a few too many drinks under the hot Miami sun, but he STUMBLES through a show now.

But yeah, the way they got rid of Dale was crappy. He almost broke down at several points yesterday. Again, because Michael Holley was probably given a substantial raise to move up to afternoon drive, it is understandable as to why they would want to go a little cheaper in the midday. The fact is, Mutnansky and Merloni may not draw "Dale and Holley" numbers, but they'll come close enough.

My only problem has been with the way this was handled. Dale Arnold deserves a more respect than what he got.

But are they really going cheaper mid-day, at least in the short term? That's what mystifies me.

I assume that some time remains on Dale's contract, and that they have to honor that contract. Unless it was very poorly negotiated on Dale's behalf, there is no way he takes a pay cut as a result of this. I don't see the money angle here, short term, unless Dale is somehow providing more bang for the buck in his new roles.

#276 teddykgb

• 3,651 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, the money angle makes sense until you think about the fact that Arnold's contract didn't seem to be up. they're actually paying more. They probably could have just let it play out and not renewed him, but paying him to not broadcast and bringing in Mut makes little sense, unless Merloni just wasn't interested in being partners with him or something.

#277 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,787 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

Here's a thought, and it gets to Hooper's point above. Whacking Dale was a fig leaf -- though one so transparent that it would still get you arrested for indecent exposure.

The one boldfaced lie that emerged from this was Ordway's statement that the changes were not a direct response to the competition. Instead, he said, you have to "keep things fresh" by tweaking or else you'll eventually be overtaken.

Really? Why, then, was the Big Show essentially static for 10 years? The formula was tried, true, and simple -- (i) wave pom poms for the Pats and Sox, especially the former; (ii) browbeat callers who dared to criticize either team, especially the former, and (iii) take 12 weeks of vacation, fat and sassy with the ratings.

Everything changed suddenly when the competition began eating 'EEI's lunch in the early morning and late afternoon. That's when the changes came, overnight. It's all about the competition because it's all about ratings and, ultimately, money.

Had they simply swapped out Holley and swapped in someone else, then the finger would point unambigulously where it should have pointed all along -- at Ordway and, perhaps more importantly, Wolfe. They were the guys asleep at the switch. Messing with Dale muddles things -- or so they hope.

#278 Phenom

• 977 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, the money angle makes sense until you think about the fact that Arnold's contract didn't seem to be up. they're actually paying more. They probably could have just let it play out and not renewed him, but paying him to not broadcast and bringing in Mut makes little sense, unless Merloni just wasn't interested in being partners with him or something.

The way I understand it, Dale will be the only fill-in guy for Red Sox and Celtics broadcasts. He'll also be the primary fill-in guy when a host is out.

With "The Big Show's" changed format, there is already less of a need for guys like Butch Stearns, Steve Buckley, and others who were signed to "part-time" Entercom contracts or paid by the appearance. Throw in the fact that Dale will fill-in for all of the shows as well as have his own weekend show, and there's almost no need for a lot of the "fat" on EEI's payroll.

Buckley may now only get paid for 4 hours of airtime per week (let's say he has a couple of 2 hour stints per week on "The Big Show") instead of 12 hours of airtime (two "Big Show" co-host stints, and let's say filling in for John Dennis one morning).

WEEI was paying a lot of guys to do a job that really one person can do. So I think in the long-run, this change does save the station some money. But does it save enough money to warrant the way they treated Dale? Well, that's up for debate...

What isn't up for debate though is the point that Jason Wolfe deserves a hell of a lot more blame than he's receiving. As others have mentioned, Michael Felger was under contract at EEI just 2 years ago, and was relegated to fill-in duty and an occasional column on WEEI.com. Wolfe was too busy "punishing Felger" for his stint at 890 to see that he had a rising star under his control.

The time to revamp "The Big Show" was 2 years ago...Felger should've been made Ordway's co-host. If that move had taken place, I don't think there's any doubt that "The Sports Hub" would not be enjoying the viability it now is.

Edited by Phenom, 24 February 2011 - 11:04 AM.

#279 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,570 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

But are they really going cheaper mid-day, at least in the short term? That's what mystifies me.

I assume that some time remains on Dale's contract, and that they have to honor that contract. Unless it was very poorly negotiated on Dale's behalf, there is no way he takes a pay cut as a result of this. I don't see the money angle here, short term, unless Dale is somehow providing more bang for the buck in his new roles.

It's possible that Talent has contracts that have a minimum, plus $X for each hour worked (hosting/gamecalling). If this is the case with Dale, then he'll still get the minimum, which keeps him tied to WEEI until expiry, but he'll be making much less on the hosting/game calling.

#280 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Really? Why, then, was the Big Show essentially static for 10 years? The formula was tried, true, and simple -- (i) wave pom poms for the Pats and Sox, especially the former; (ii) browbeat callers who dared to criticize either team, especially the former, and (iii) take 12 weeks of vacation, fat and sassy with the ratings.

Everything changed suddenly when the competition began eating 'EEI's lunch in the early morning and late afternoon. That's when the changes came, overnight. It's all about the competition because it's all about ratings and, ultimately, money.

Had they simply swapped out Holley and swapped in someone else, then the finger would point unambigulously where it should have pointed all along -- at Ordway and, perhaps more importantly, Wolfe. They were the guys asleep at the switch. Messing with Dale muddles things -- or so they hope.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, and I think Jason Wolfe is primarily to blame here, but let's face it they wanted to move in a new direction and decided to rip off the bandaid in one fell swoop rather than drag it out by giving Dale a new co-host... again.

I like Dale, but his low key "aww shucks" style doesn't exactly fit with the unfortunate direction that Boston Sports Talk radio is headed in and certainly doesn't bring in new listeners.

#281 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,787 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, and I think Jason Wolfe is primarily to blame here, but let's face it they wanted to move in a new direction and decided to rip off the bandaid in one fell swoop rather than drag it out by giving Dale a new co-host... again.

I like Dale, but his low key "aww shucks" style doesn't exactly fit with the unfortunate direction that Boston Sports Talk radio is headed in and certainly doesn't bring in new listeners.

There is a lot of merit to this, I think. So it will be very interesting to see the direction that Holley swings The Big Show. He's not "aww shucks", but he is pretty low key and (as these guys go) cerebral. If past is prologue, he will not incessantly ballwash nor participate in host-on-caller beatdowns. Maybe he brings the best out of Ordway, as people like McAdam often did. If he does nothing but ice DeOsse and company on football, the addition will be worth it.

Edited by dcmissle, 24 February 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#282 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,330 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

There's also the liklihood that now that the Sox are back and ratings will inevitably improve Wolfe can try to point to this move as the reason for the improvements. Transparent sure ... but this is radio.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 24 February 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#283 teddykgb

• 3,651 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

There is a lot of merit to this, I think. So it will be very interesting to see the direction that Holley swings The Big Show. He's not "aww shucks", but he is pretty low key and (as these guys go) cerebral. If past is prologue, he will not incessantly ballwash nor participate in host-on-caller beatdowns. Maybe he brings the best out of Ordway, as people like McAdam often did. If he does nothing but ice DeOsse and company on football, the addition will be worth it.

Honestly, your description sounds nothing like Michael Holley. He's hardly cerebral, does beatdown callers, and doesn't exactly ask hard hitting questions. Hell, he's written books with francona nad the patriots at this point.

#284 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,068 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

The way I understand it, Dale will be the only fill-in guy for Red Sox and Celtics broadcasts. He'll also be the primary fill-in guy when a host is out.

He said as much on the show yesterday. His new fill in schedule starts a week from Sunday when he hosts a weekend slot (maybe a former Mutnansky spot?), then he's in for John Dennis the whole week starting March 7. He also said his play-by-play schedule starts with the exhibition game in Houston on March 30 and he'd be going from there to do a Celtics road game (ATL, I believe).

I wonder how long it will be before Dale fills in for Mut or Merloni on the mid-day? As much as his fans might enjoy hearing him back, I can't imagine it would be a fun show to listen to if it's all callers telling him how much he's missed. It'll be like the first few times that Schilling or Troy Brown or other former local stars guest hosted...four hours of ass-kissing and reminiscing getting in the way of talking about current topics.

#285 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

Maybe he brings the best out of Ordway, as people like McAdam often did. If he does nothing but ice DeOsse and company on football, the addition will be worth it.

He's already brought me back to the Big Show. Felger and Mazz were fucking horrible last baseball season, literally unlistenable when it came to trying to talk about the Red Sox. Based on that alone Ordway and Holley will get first shot on my commute home over them.