Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The Big Show

1238 replies to this topic

#51 Phenom

• as if andy gresh and gary tanguay had a baby

• 978 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

I've got my Great Carnac turban on and I see the Big Show having Larry Fucking Johnson on Thursday, the trade deadline day. I hope Carnac is wrong, but whoever schedules the co-hosts has a knack for doing things like that.

Buckley and McAdam tomorrow. I would prefer Bradford and McAdam, since Bradford breaks more news than Buck, but that's nit-picking.

Good lineup tomorrow, on what should be an interesting show.

By the way, thank God for Lou Merloni. I'm so pleased to see him on the show 2-3 times a week instead of Steve Burton. We're even seeing LJ a little less now.

#52 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,116 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

Buckley and McAdam tomorrow. I would prefer Bradford and McAdam, since Bradford breaks more news than Buck, but that's nit-picking.

By the way, thank God for Lou Merloni. I'm so pleased to see him on the show 2-3 times a week instead of Steve Burton. We're even seeing LJ a little less now.

I can live with that. I'm shocked it's not Bradford since he works for WEEI now, but Buck can chatter while Sean works his contacts. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

Edited by The Four Peters, 30 July 2008 - 05:45 PM.

#53 FrankBarone

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

Carnac was wrong! No Putrid Preacher today. Hallelujah! Can I get an Amen?

#54 brettzky99

• 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

check it out, they interviewed some guy named "Clay Buckholtz" the other day

http://www.weei.com/pages/268228.php

#55 FrankBarone

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

I don't know who to thank, but it was nice to have a Larry Johnson-free week on the Big Show.

#56 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,382 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

Who does Stearns keep sleeping with to keep a slot on the Big Show? He's almost as bad as, if not worse than LJ.

#57 shawnrbu

• SoSH Member

• 10,456 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

Butchie was even worse Saturday afternoon blabbing about going to a Bruce Springsteen concert at Gillette on Saturday night. I'd rather listen to D&C discuss current events.

#58 Chainsaw318

• 1,402 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

Not 100% Big-Show related, but somewhat relevant across WEEI:

I just saw the footage of last night's Prince Fielder-Manny Parra altercation (it's on ESPN, ESPN.com or other sites if you want to look at it), which occurred in the Brewers dugout. It looked fairly similar to what we saw in the Red Sox dugout on June 5th of this year with Ramirez and Youkilis.

Sportscenter then went to talking head/former manager Buck Showalter, who basically said that it was unfortunate that this got caught on camera, but these kinds of things happen often between teammates, and they often blow over quickly; pretty much that it wasn't a huge indicator of problems. Lou Merloni and others who have said this about the Youkilis-Ramirez incident have gotten skewered by the other WEEI hosts, and I wonder if this even gets brought up today.

Relevant at all?

#59 HomeBrew1901

• 8,382 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

I think D&C are the only two that really crap on Merloni and Dauber for saying that aren't they?

Personally I give more credence to what Merloni, Daubach, Smerlas and Deossie have to say when it comes to life inside the clubhouse or on the playing field over that of a couple of reporters that never played higher than high school.

#60 Sparky Lyle

• Ask me about my nightstick

• 3,428 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

Steve Buckley and Larry Johnson today.

Looks like I'll be listening to NPR on my commute this afternon.

#61 Razor Shines

• 3,486 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

I like Buckley, but pairing him with Johnson isn't a good idea. The other two guys (Pete and Ordway) would just shout Larry down if he went off on a morality tangent, but Buckley isn't inclined to do that. This could be a disaster.

#62 FrankBarone

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

What happened to Sheppard yesterday? I can't believe that they'd actually schedule Buckley and the Catfish in advance.

#63 Phenom

• 978 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

Thank God for Lou Merloni. With Mazz now at the Globe, 'The Big Show's' baseball-focused co-hosts is now down to a dwindling few.

It's Lou and Buckley these days. I'm not sure why McAdam is appearing less than he has in years past. Maybe he got sick of being paired with Larry Johnson. Who knows.

#64 Razor Shines

• 3,486 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

I'm not sure why McAdam is appearing less than he has in years past.

I'm almost certain that it is a money/contract issue. I've nothing to back this up at the moment, but he and his co-hosts on the baseball show have uttered in a few sideways tongue-in-cheek comments in this regard.

#65 Phenom

• 978 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

I'm almost certain that it is a money/contract issue. I've nothing to back this up at the moment, but he and his co-hosts on the baseball show have uttered in a few sideways tongue-in-cheek comments in this regard.

I'm not sure what the contract issue could be. McAdam wasn't an employee of the station. I thought he received the standard co-host fee, albeit a bit more often than some, but I didn't think that he was tied into a contract. Maybe the issue is that he believes he should be signed to a contract, or maybe he wishes that he, not Bradford, got the EEI.com gig? Who knows, but the baseball coverage has become even more subpar than it used to be.

'The Baseball Show' has really taken a hit as well. Buckley is alright, but McAdam was the reason I listened. I wonder why Rob Bradford hasn't taken to a larger on-air role at the station. His presence would be nice on 'The Baseball Show.'

#66 HomeBrew1901

• 8,382 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Crap, Smerlas is back.

I thought for sure he was fired for good. This sucks.

#67 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• has fancy plans, and pants to match

• 15,295 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

He was there last Monday too. This is the only reason why I hate football season, I just hope he doesn't talk about his stupid, piece of shit steak house.

#68 RicoP6

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

He was there last Monday too. This is the only reason why I hate football season, I just hope he doesn't talk about his stupid, piece of shit steak house.

Agree. Friggin' Fred the Steakhouse Donkey. While Smerlas' stuttering, name dropping and pom-pom waving drives me absolutely insane, I have to say that I do enjoy listening to DeOssie. Aside from the occasional Dakota-bashing (always good for a laugh), he does provide some very good football insight and doesn't suck up like the rest of the Patriots' rumpswabs.

#69 HomeBrew1901

• 8,382 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

I agree, I've never had a problem with Deossie. With Smerlas he just flat out sucks for all the reasons you stated, he can provide great insight for about 5 minutes when he actually talks football, aside from that I don't even listen when he is on because no one keeps him in check.

#70 alskor

• 610 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:11 AM

When Fred Smerlas talks it sounds like he has a half eaten italian grinder falling out of his mouth.

Also, his words have just as much intelligence to them as the grinder does.

#71 Chainsaw318

• 1,402 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

listened some today in the car, on a hour-long drive. DeOssie and Buckley weren't bad, but Johnson was just absolutely brutal.

It was like someone had asked him to do research, or had given him some, except all he had was the Red Sox August splits. He referenced individual players' splits for this month 3 times in the 40-55 minutes I was in the car, spitting out BA's and RBI totals as if they were stunning revelations.

Frank Barone-ly, I was amazed. Guy brings nothing to the table. Nothing.

#72 WayneHousieHOF

• wants you to hate boston teams like him

• 613 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

With EEI now coming to southern Maine Sept. 1, the enlightenment spreads.

#73 Sparky Lyle

• Ask me about my nightstick

• 3,428 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

listened some today in the car, on a hour-long drive. DeOssie and Buckley weren't bad, but Johnson was just absolutely brutal.

It was like someone had asked him to do research, or had given him some, except all he had was the Red Sox August splits. He referenced individual players' splits for this month 3 times in the 40-55 minutes I was in the car, spitting out BA's and RBI totals as if they were stunning revelations.

Frank Barone-ly, I was amazed. Guy brings nothing to the table. Nothing.

Yesterday I got into my car at about 2:15 and turned on the Big Show. As soon as I heard Larry Johnson's voice I turned to NPR. I am Barone-ly obsessed with my hatred of Larry Johnson.

I've got to stop.

#74 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

I am Barone-ly obsessed with my hatred of Larry Johnson.

So, that's an adjective now? :barf:

#75 Mo's OBP

• 108 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

I turned off yesterday when LJ compared Dustin Pedroia to Michael Phelps.

I am sure the only reason he is on the air is because he probably works for a free sandwich and a Dunkin Donuts coupon.

#76 Chainsaw318

• 1,402 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

So, that's an adjective now? :c070:

It should be.

I actually couldn't make myself stop listening after Johnson had gone to the splits for Pedroia and Youk for August. I wanted to see if the next time a specific player was brought up, he went right to his August #'s. A caller brought up Varitek, and out came Johnson with the August #'s, like clockwork.

Continuing to listen to Larry Johnson was mentally self-destructive, but at the same time, it was somewhat satisfying that he lived exactly down to expectations.

That, right there, is the essence of a Barone-esque WEEI experience.

Edited by Chainsaw318, 20 August 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#77 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,200 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Barone-ly would be an adverb, folks.

#78 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

Looking forward to BB's spot on the show today.

#79 HomeBrew1901

• 8,382 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

Looking forward to BB's spot on the show today.

Yeah, I probably won't listen today. Not because I'm depressed about Brady's injury, it sucks but it happens. I just don't want to listen to Sheppard and Smerlas.

#80 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,054 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I probably won't listen today. Not because I'm depressed about Brady's injury, it sucks but it happens. I just don't want to listen to Sheppard and Smerlas.

Yesterday, they carefully backed away from their previous apocalyptic vision of what would happen to the team if Brady went down, reasonably saying that they'd be thrilled with 10 and 6 and that the road to a SB looks very tough. Of course, that previous vision had been offered in defense of BB when people called to complain about the quality of the back ups ("The team is screwed if Brady goes down, so why are you wasting your breath and our time?")

Give them a couple successful weeks and this will morph into a campaign to detain at Guantanamo anyone who does not have the team in the very top tier of the AFC.

Edited by dcmissle, 09 September 2008 - 12:45 PM.

#81 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Schilling calling in now talking about Manny....

EDIT: Says that Tito made it work until Manny realized he had to get out of his contract. "Once he signed with Boras, I thought it was his last day here." But he also said that Manny is his own man. "The fact of the matter is...HE NEVER CARED ABOUT ANY OF US." <--Wow. Kind of a bombshell there!

Update: And now he's taking a shot at CHB. It took a while but he went there.

Update: "For the first time in 8 years, the team got to vote. For years Tito was thrown under the bus, for the first time ever Theo & Tito put it to the players and the result was what the players would have voted years ago."

Also: "What you hear and see (about Manny's antics) is 20% of what exists."

Also: "There were times where you didn't know who he was. There were times when he would say 'screw this team, I want out now.'"

Also: "There were players on fire duty, just in case" Manny decided not to play that night.

Edited by ifmanis5, 17 September 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#82 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,918 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Curt in the Car called up to talk about Manny.

"Never knew when he'd be able to play day-to-day." "In spring training, he was fine in his Buddhist state"

On Tito
"He was brought up to play the game the right way and respect the game."

"Manny makes his own decisions. The day he signed with Boras was his last day in uniform for the Red Sox."

Merloni: "In the last year, Manny was impossible to deal with."

"Manny never cared about any of us. I am totally convinced that he was going to play half the games the rest of the way. He brought nothing else to the table besides his bat and we were OK with that"

"The hardest part was to watch it, live it, and then read Shank saying we don't do anything about it. At the end of the day, he still wore the uniform and played"

"Thankfully, Tito finally put it in front of the players(the decision to keep Manny)."

"David saw what was going on and knew we needed a happy Manny but David understands the difference between respect and disrespect"

"What you guys hear and see is 10-20% of what went on."

"I've been the biggest waste of space all year and I'm the last person to tell you who is right and wrong, but I'm a part of this family and I saw it. The guys who played crucial roles on important teams are the worst people. Nothing makes guys like Tito feel worse than putting these type of guys in the lineup when you have guys busting their ass and he has to tell them to sit."

"Jason Bay plays the game the right way. He is a piece of the puzzle going forward not just a stopgap."

#83 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,675 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

Really, what good does it do to spew all this hate now?

#84 Phenom

• 978 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

Are you talking about Manny, or fantasy football? I'm being partially sarcastic...

I mean, how is it entertaining to listen to Pete and Ordway "rag on" some fantasy football writer on WEEI.com for an entire segment! I'm not supporting the fantasy writer, as I've never read him, but honestly, I'd rather listen to Manny bashing 2 months after the fact.

On a side note, I would love to speak to somebody in Pete Sheppard's high school class, to see if he was as "cool" as he describes himself as being. Pete sometimes displays the maturity level of a 10 year old. However, maybe his shtick is to be immature, as Meter's is to be the contrarian.

#85 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Well, it's pretty rare for a player to trash a teammate while they are on the same team so this stuff was bound to come out with Manny is in LA. Curt was just the first to really rip into him publicly, live and on the record like this. I think this is the first salvo of many more to come after the season is over, although I expect the future rips to be more of the 'anonymous teammate' variety. Why he picked today rather than yesterday or tomorrow, I have no idea since the boys weren't talking about Manny any more or less than they normally do this afternoon. There would have been more too if his cell phone hadn't crapped out in the middle.

#86 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

ESPN reported about Schilling's appearance...

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3595012

#87 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,349 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

What the fuck does Lou Merloni know about the team last year? He was on the Sacramento River Cats.

#88 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,847 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

That's just Curt being Curt.

#89 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Stroy even made the front of my Yahoo! page:

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=mlb,108796

We'll see how the boys react to it today...I'm guessing Glenn will crow about how important the show is.

EDIT: Glenn is off today at the Marconi Awards show. I guess it's up to Pete to pat himself on the back.

Edited by ifmanis5, 18 September 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#90 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,054 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

My guess on today's talking points:

1. Red Sox are fucked. (Big Show rule #1 -- when the Pats are bleeding, divert attention to the woes of the Sox).

2. Yesterday's losses by the Broncos and Cowboys prove "there is no dominant team in the League." So the Pats can get into the post-season at 10 and 6, and then "anything can happen." (Big Show rule #2 -- any assessment of the glass half empty is treasonous).

#91 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,339 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

My guess on today's talking points:

1. Red Sox are fucked. (Big Show rule #1 -- when the Pats are bleeding, divert attention to the woes of the Sox).

2. Yesterday's losses by the Broncos and Cowboys prove "there is no dominant team in the League." So the Pats can get into the post-season at 10 and 6, and then "anything can happen." (Big Show rule #2 -- any assessment of the glass half empty is treasonous).

The big show (and the entire station) are pom pom boys now. Beckett injured just means its Lesters turn to shine. They will completely dismiss it and shout down any caller who disagrees.

And your right about the Pats but they'll argue that they'll go either 12-4 or 13-3.

#92 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

The big show (and the entire station) are pom pom boys now. Beckett injured just means its Lesters turn to shine. They will completely dismiss it and shout down any caller who disagrees.

And your right about the Pats but they'll argue that they'll go either 12-4 or 13-3.

They've been arguing 10-6 since Brady went down, but I agree with your other points.

Also thought it fair to mention that Glenn lost out on his Marconi Award to Ryan Seacrest. Yes, Ryan Seacrest.

#93 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,264 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

Well, we were all wrong. They've been talking about the economy all day.
I'd never thought I'd say this, but can they get back to sports?

#94 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• has fancy plans, and pants to match

• 15,295 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

What, you don't want to hear Fred Smerlas, Steve DeOssie, Glen Ordway and Pete Shepperd break down what's going on in the world of politics?

It's like a retarded McLaughlin Group.

#95 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,054 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'd settle for this instead:

http://audio.weei.co...nkey.htm?q=weei

#96 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,339 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

What, you don't want to hear Fred Smerlas, Steve DeOssie, Glen Ordway and Pete Shepperd break down what's going on in the world of politics?

It's like a retarded McLaughlin Group.

I laughed out loud at this. Very funny and completely spot on.

#97 judyb

• 3,369 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

They all pick the Angels to win the series today. It's Ordway, Shepherd, Bradford, and Caron. Arnold picked the Angels, too, I don't know about the rest of the station.

Edited by judyb, 30 September 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#98 dirtynine

• 3,147 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

Smerlas sounds like the old Coach character from Cheers. Except rape-ier.

#99 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,054 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Bingo, a day late but our date with destiny is on. Ordway is being sly about it, but it's there nonetheless.

#100 HomeBrew1901

• 8,382 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

They all pick the Angels to win the series today. It's Ordway, Shepherd, Bradford, and Caron. Arnold picked the Angels, too, I don't know about the rest of the station.

It's the smart pick. With Lowell being 50% at best and with Drew and Beckett as unknowns, the Sox aren't exactly a lock here especially against the Angels line up.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)