Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The Big Show

1238 replies to this topic

#951 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Looking forward to vacation week on WEEI!

It's Dickerson and Grande tomorrow

battle of the benches between WEEI and TSH will be interesting

#952 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

it's Steve Buckley, not Greg Dickerson today

#953 Jackson

• 129 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

it's Steve Buckley, not Greg Dickerson today

I listened to most of the first 2.5 hours today. There was a time when I at times enjoyed Buckley, but today I thought he came off as a sanctimonious douche-bag. He didn't have me longing for the Big Zero, but it was close. Amazing because I think Ordway has become more insufferable than ever.

#954 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

Butch Stearns going solo for a while today...time to switch to F&M...

#955 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,963 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Curran and Buckley whining about Ochocinco not talking to them. What fascinating radio.

#956 Jackson

• 129 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Curran and Buckley whining about Ochocinco not talking to them. What fascinating radio.

I was listening. Your description is not entirely accurate. In fact, it's sustantially inaccurate.

#957 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,963 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Oh?

Curran described a verbal tussle he and Ocho got into after the Oakland game, then he and Buckley basically told war stories about players' (like Corey Dillon) postures toward the press. The entire exchange came off as your run-of-the-mill reporter grousing about how the rich, unproductive athlete(s) weren't extending them the courtesy of answering questions like 'HOW'S IT FEEL FOR THE TEAM TO BE WINNING DESPITE YOUR LACK OF PRODUCTION' and 'DO YOU WISH YOU WERE BACK IN CINCY OR WHAT', etc. Curran all but said 'for a guy getting paid 6M to catch 20 balls, that's a lotta nerve to not oblige me by answering my questions'.

Basically, no one gives a shit. I'm sure it's annoying, but, somehow, there are reporters in this town (Rappaport, Reiss come to mind) who manage to 'do their jobs' (that's of course the implication, that Ocho is preventing Curran from doing his job - and Curran ain't being straight with us on this, because Ocho hasn't been a dick to other Pats reporters, that we know of, and he has actually spoken to Reiss) without Ocho's input. Get over it; bitch in private to your reporter buddies, but don't go thinking for a minute that fans care. It's adversarial and tiresome - I'm not turning on the radio or reading the paper to hear about the adventures and trials of Tom Curran as he is constantly blown off by busy athletes trying to shower or dress or not think about how their fucking knee hurts after or before a practice or game.

The only thing worse than the whiny athlete is the whiny reporter.

EDIT - WEEI actually has part of the segment up -- here.

At best, you could say that Curran tries to say that he isn't trying to make a big deal of it and really likes Ocho, except everything else he says communicates the opposite sentiment.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 23 December 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#958 Jackson

• 129 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Oh?

Curran described a verbal tussle he and Ocho got into after the Oakland game, then he and Buckley basically told war stories about players' (like Corey Dillon) postures toward the press. The entire exchange came off as your run-of-the-mill reporter grousing about how the rich, unproductive athlete(s) weren't extending them the courtesy of answering questions like 'HOW'S IT FEEL FOR THE TEAM TO BE WINNING DESPITE YOUR LACK OF PRODUCTION' and 'DO YOU WISH YOU WERE BACK IN CINCY OR WHAT', etc. Curran all but said 'for a guy getting paid 6M to catch 20 balls, that's a lotta nerve to not oblige me by answering my questions'.

Basically, no one gives a shit. I'm sure it's annoying, but, somehow, there are reporters in this town (Rappaport, Reiss come to mind) who manage to 'do their jobs' (that's of course the implication, that Ocho is preventing Curran from doing his job - and Curran ain't being straight with us on this, because Ocho hasn't been a dick to other Pats reporters, that we know of, and he has actually spoken to Reiss) without Ocho's input. Get over it; bitch in private to your reporter buddies, but don't go thinking for a minute that fans care. It's adversarial and tiresome - I'm not turning on the radio or reading the paper to hear about the adventures and trials of Tom Curran as he is constantly blown off by busy athletes trying to shower or dress or not think about how their fucking knee hurts after or before a practice or game.

The only thing worse than the whiny athlete is the whiny reporter.

EDIT - WEEI actually has part of the segment up -- here.

At best, you could say that Curran tries to say that he isn't trying to make a big deal of it and really likes Ocho, except everything else he says communicates the opposite sentiment.

I need to apologize. My time frame was off. I listened until about 3:30. You're correct, and I was wrong. For what it's worth, I agree with your larger point about media members whining about athletes/coaches/managers not always accommodating them. Once again, mea culpa.

#959 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

I heard the same thing. It was nauseating.

#960 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

whatever happened to Bruschi as the 3rd man in on Patriots Mondays?

#961 Darnell's Son

• 4,560 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

whatever happened to Bruschi as the 3rd man in on Patriots Mondays?

Pretty sure that they addressed this on Bruschi's last show. Ordway said that ESPN wanted to use him more so he probably won't be back during the season but maybe will in the postseason.

#962 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

can't beat Old Tyme Baseball talk with Buckley today!

#963 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Pretty sure that they addressed this on Bruschi's last show. Ordway said that ESPN wanted to use him more so he probably won't be back during the season but maybe will in the postseason.

According to BSMW, reasons are still unknown?

http://www.bostonspo.../year-in-review

This was announced with much fanfare, Bruschi appeared on a few shows, and then stopped appearing. Efforts to find out why have been unsuccessful to date.

#964 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

I feel a bit odd bumping this thread after 3 weeks of crickets, and by no means is this a pro-Big Show post. But there are times when 98.5 doesn't come in clearly here on the Cape, and EEI has a station in Yarmouth that comes in crystal clear.

Anyway, today there was actually an enjoyable segment that involved ridiculing a Baltimore sports talk show host. Drew Forrester of WNST-AM went on an epic rant down there this morning about how for two days he's been hearing Ravens fans bellyache about how their team's in a woeful state, despite the fact (his words) that "for the last 4 years, all they do is win."

Audio of the rant and the Big Show's lampooning is here.

#965 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Seems like Holley is now the WEEI ambassador to the rest of the country:

http://wnst.net/audi...riots with Drew

#966 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,154 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I don't listen to EEI at all anymore but does the Big Show still have DeOssie on all the time?

I'd imagine this won't go over too well with their fans.

#967 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,623 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

He's a floating analyst; he does time with the mid-day show (I listen from 10-2 to avoid the urge to drive into oncoming traffic or to drive to Brighton with a 20-foot sandwich and "I bet you can't eat all of it" sign (the hope being GRESH would choke on it and die).

I heard one extended "in studio" segment with DeOssie and he was remarkably forthright about his rooting interests. "It's my son - of course I root for him and his team. This is my job. I loved playing here, I love the team but it's my SON."

Which should pacify all but the most deranged of our membership. Dude won Super Bowls in New York, played both places and his son plays in New York. It's not news to me that he'd be a Giants "rally".

#968 Rusty13

• 665 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

DeOssie is such a hack.

#969 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,477 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

He's a floating analyst; he does time with the mid-day show (I listen from 10-2 to avoid the urge to drive into oncoming traffic or to drive to Brighton with a 20-foot sandwich and "I bet you can't eat all of it" sign (the hope being GRESH would choke on it and die).

I heard one extended "in studio" segment with DeOssie and he was remarkably forthright about his rooting interests. "It's my son - of course I root for him and his team. This is my job. I loved playing here, I love the team but it's my SON."

Which should pacify all but the most deranged of our membership. Dude won Super Bowls in New York, played both places and his son plays in New York. It's not news to me that he'd be a Giants "rally".

I'm as die-hard a Red Sox fan as I know, but if my son was pitching for the New York Yankees, you'd bet I'd be wearing a big, fat, NY hat. I can't believe anyone would have a problem with DeOssie for that.

#970 Billy Jo Robidoux

• Shoveltowner/Jerkface

• 2,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

DeOssie is one of the dumbest people alive, yet he tries so hard to sound intelligent when he speaks. You can hear him straining through his voice to sound smart. It's embarassing.

#971 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Looks like Ordway is filling in for Dan Patrick yesterday and today

#972 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,423 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

I don't listen to EEI at all anymore but does the Big Show still have DeOssie on all the time?

I'd imagine this won't go over too well with their fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wn5RljRBAQ

I imagine this won't go over well with the Patriots organization as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him removed from 5th Quarter or WEEI. It was completely disingenuous in ripping the Patriots organization. I have no problem him rooting for his son but show a little class.

#973 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,803 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

I imagine this won't go over well with the Patriots organization as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him removed from 5th Quarter or WEEI. It was completely disingenuous in ripping the Patriots organization. I have no problem him rooting for his son but show a little class.

Ordway will try to save his binky today. They'll try to make jokes, but no one is going to want to listen to one word from DeOssie from here on.

#974 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,423 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

WEEI WEEI

Steve DeOssie joins @BigOWEEI and @MichaelSHolley today at 3:35pm. Think they'll bring up this video? Yep!youtu.be/9wn5RljRBAQ

#975 Vinho Tinto

• 3,701 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have no problem him rooting for his son but show a little class.

He spent a decade developing a radio character who would either talk over or yell at callers (Usually with the witty zinger of calling them turds). When it comes to class, we're not talking about Arthur Ashe here.

#976 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5,259 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Agreed, he could have said a lot of positive things about the Giants and there wouldn't have been a problem but saying he was struggling in New England wasn't the wisest thing to say.

Edited by scotian1, 07 February 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#977 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,359 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Agreed, he could have said a lot of positive things about the Giants and there wouldn't have been a problem but saying he was virtually trapped in New England wasn't the wisest thing to say.

I didn't watch the video at home last night because I thought it was a few Patriots getting thier panties in a wad and have a horrible bandwidth here in THE office. What did he say about the Patriots Organization?

#978 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

he is on The Big Show now

edit: I hope they blow him up

Edited by the1andonly3003, 07 February 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#979 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5,259 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

He is backpedalling quite a bit in regards to his "struggling" quote.

#980 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,026 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I couldn't care less about DeOssie struggalinggg

Posted Image

#981 Rusty13

• 665 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I just listened to the clip. He is lying through his teeth in regards to the "struggling" quote. Such a hack. I certainly will not be upset to see and hear less of him on the Boston sports air waves if that happens as a result.

http://audio.weei.co..._medium=twitter

Edited by Rusty13, 07 February 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#982 Gene Conleys Plane Ticket

• 3,189 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I think this is DeOssie's "Jane Fonda on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun" moment. You just can't be seen openly rooting for the bad guys. No matter what the spin, he'll never live this down.

#983 Jinhocho

• SoSH Member

• 8,799 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

And deservedly so. The frikking guy hosts the Pats show w Smerlas and Ordway, has always been their pats guys on eei. Just get rid of him.

#984 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,102 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Ultimately, this is going to hit him where it counts---the wallet. His business interests/steak house and his radio/tv time. He's not good enough to recover from that. Way to get drunk and bite the hand that's fed you. Idiot.

#985 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,154 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Of course he was pulling for the Giants and he should have been. He played there the majority of his career and his son is in NY now. And nobody would care if he said so in a radio interview. What makes him look awful is yelling shit at a fucking pep rally. That environment makes him look like he's mocking the Patriots and that behavior is foolish for a guy who gets paid to analyze New England. Not a bright career decision regardless of whether or not he deserves the shit he's getting.

#986 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

hopefully we start seeing a new trio: Ordway, Smerlas and Troy Brown

#987 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,154 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

hopefully we start seeing a new trio: Ordway, Smerlas and Troy Brown

The only way I would enjoy seeing Ordway or Smerlas is if they were standing in the unemployment line. They're both beyond brutal. It's so nice that EEI has become almost irrelevant.

#988 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

I'll take a drunk, Giants loving DeOssie any day of the week over Pete Sheppard or Craig Mustard.

#989 Judge Mental13

• designated driver

• 4,830 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

I've never seen the words "hopefully" and "Smerlas" without the words "gets attacked by a pack of rabid honey badgers" (or some variation) following them.

#990 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

I've never seen the words "hopefully" and "Smerlas" without the words "gets attacked by a pack of rabid honey badgers" (or some variation) following them.

New England Tailgate with...Ordway, Smerlas and...Ty Law?

#991 HomeBrew1901

• 8,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

If Ordway and Smerlas are involved the third person could be Bill Belichick or one of the Kraft's and I still wouldn't watch. Not even remotely joking about that.

#992 Judge Mental13

• designated driver

• 4,830 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

If Kate Upton's sex tape finally comes out and Fred Smerlas is in it I'd still wack off to it but probably only once.

#993 Darnell's Son

• 4,560 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

If Kate Upton's sex tape finally comes out and Fred Smerlas is in it I'd still wack off to it but probably only once a day.

#994 HomeBrew1901

• 8,359 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

If Kate Upton's sex tape finally comes out and Fred Smerlas is in it I'd still wack off to it but probably only once.

Is Smerlas talking and giving direction to Ms Upton? If so it's a deal breaker, if not I'd agree with you.

#995 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

stock market updates during the sports splash now? hmmm

#996 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

so it sounds like Michael Holley is getting some facetime on ESPN in the mornings now...he is broadcasting from CT right now

I guess ESPN is paying him more for appearances than CSNNE when he does Sports Tonight?

#997 Jackson

• 129 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Jesus Christ, after listening to Ordway yesterday perseverate on how bad the Red Sox will be this season, I wanted to call in and ask him if I should even bother watching any games. I understand there are more than a few question marks, but he made it sound as if they're headed for the cellar in the AL East.

#998 the1andonly3003

• 992 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

so what happened to Ordway today? back on vacation?

#999 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,623 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Moderating Bill Simmons' fantasy life. (go to Grantland)

#1000 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'm guessing that Pete Sheppard is coming back. This is from his Facebook.

Well my friends..MAKE SURE YOU LISTEN TO WEEI TODAY AND ESPECIALLY THE BIG SHOW AROUND 5:30...SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN.....THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY FOR NOW.....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH....PETE

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users