Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

FBI traveling with the Sox after death threats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22494 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

First Manny, now this!

Players warned of threat

When I first heard the story and they hadn't said "Black and Latin" players, I was hoping it was Lugo and Okajima.

I guess it could be Lugo . . .

#2 The Flying Dutchman

• 929 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

Coco is our only African American player, correct? He's got to be one of the individuals named directly. Probably some wacko response to the TB/Sox brawl in which Covelli played a lead role.

#3 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18032 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

You know someone should really get Hank Steinbrenner in line. This is getting a little bit out of control.

#4 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23297 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:59 AM

This is what we get for saying the season has been boring. Curse you all.

#5 TallManinOregon

• 540 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have to say that it seems odd that the Extra Bases blog had what seemed to be so many details...

Police are searching for a suspect believed to be from the Baltimore area but now living near Memphis.

Maybe I watch too much Law & Order, but something just doesn't seem right about this...

Keep an eye on Gabe Gross... Dude was born in Baltimore, works in Tampa and is REALLY into country music, I hear....

#6 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6799 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Police are searching for a suspect believed to originally be from the Baltimore area but now living near Memphis.

Joey Dorsey fits that bill. He must be mad that he didn't get drafted by the Cs.

#7 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6849 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

MLB security released a blurry photo from a nearby ATM machine that shows the suspect mailing the letter. The only distinguishing feature that can be made out in the grainy image is that the suspect is wearing large, fashionable but blocky black glasses and a baseball cap. [/joke]

#8 ThreeIfBaerga

• 2397 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

What confuses me about that article is that is says the person making the threat is doing so to "black and Latin players" and then goes on to say they referred to them by name.

I am wondering if the writer of the threats actually used the terms "black and Latin" or if he simply did something like call out Coco, Manny and Lugo, all of whom happen to be black or Latin. If the writer made no reference to the race of the players and only referred to them by name, it would appear that article has a tinge of sensationalism to it by bringing up race.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much. Only a coward with no plans to actually do something would preface the whole thing with a warning. People with real intent would never telegraph their actions ahead of time.

#9 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20099 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

$100 says that Cora is working up a profile as we speak and providing valuable assistance to the FBI.

#10 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2939 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

I just walked through the lobby of the hotel in St. Pete, and I recognize a number of the guys from Sox security. They're eye-balling everyone.

I guess this means I won't be sneaking up to Sean Casey's room.

#11 Remagellan

• 4191 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

I'm pretty certain I saw this episode. At first everyone believes that the threat is coming from the ghost of Tom Yawkey, but in the end it turns out to be old man Winters who works at the carnival.

#12 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 14970 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

Remy seemed to imply pretty straightforwardly that Coco was removed from the lineup tonight or taken off the field or something as a result of the threat. Did anyone else catch this?

#13 soxfaninyankeeland

• Magic Johnson of Bird AIDS

• 2619 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

Remy seemed to imply pretty straightforwardly that Coco was removed from the lineup tonight or taken off the field or something as a result of the threat. Did anyone else catch this?

Coco began serving his suspension on Saturday and will remain suspended through Wednesday, so he wasn't removed from the lineup. A suspended player isn't allowed in the dugout or pressbox during the course of a game, so he wasn't removed from the field because of the threat. NESN did air video (no audio) of what appeared to be an animated, but not unfriendly, conversation between Francona and Crisp from before the game.