Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2008 MLB Draft Game Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
454 replies to this topic

#451 LondonSox

• 4716 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

With all that said, as it relates to the draft, when looking at the cumulative amount of over-slot money being demanded by the top picks and tough signs, it is a relative pittance. How much does the team have in its initial allocation of draft signing salaries, and how much over that figure would it take to add a few more of the tough signs? $4 million? In these days that's the price of 1, maybe 2 reclamation projects, and how likely is it that one of the guys they sign will produce at least as much as one of the reclamation projects (obviously not in the same year, but once a system like that is in place for a few years, everything will be caught up). And sometimes it might actually save some money. For example, if the team signed Grandahl last year, Scott Boras' bargaining position with Varitek might seem a little weaker than it's going to be, and at what cost? At worst, Grandahl would be a good defensive backup at a cost similar to what Doug Mirabelli made, but with a genuine upside. And how likely is it that the Sox would have been drafting this many catchers in 2008, hoping one might stick? I doubt the team needs to resort to its Ace Tickets connection and in fact further shrink the normally available supply of tickets to accomplish this, and even if they did, then fine, but let's call it what it is.

I'm not going to go further down the prices line. I have my opinion anyone can have their own.

I think this is abit unfair on our system catchers. Brown is a glove first catcher who is starting to produce good numbers, that is far more relevant to the likes of Boras and Tek as he's in AAA and ready than a young project in the low minors. The system actually has a number of potentially interesting catchers, Still, Wagner, Brown, Kotteras and Exposito is a pretty big bunch of possible catching propects. Teams always draft a lot of catchers as you need 2 per team every year, and it's such a position of need for the majors.
That said your general point is very valid, flexability and depth come from the minors. What the minors for the Sox need to do though is produce, via trade or their own talent, real stars. Those MAINLY come from high rated top tier talent, and those top talents who are available at a resonable price don't fall to the Sox. You'll make more money in the long term by having a GREAT farm system than just about any other method of aquiring talent.

#452 AZBlue

• 1547 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Price is warming up for Rice U. in the Superregional against Texas A&M right now (ESPNU).

#453 cannonball 1729

• 1939 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

A super quick proxy of how many late-round signability guys each team took. Simply, if a guy was drafted ninth round or later and has a prospect writeup by BA, I'm counting him. Highly inexact!

9: Oak
8: Ari, Col
7: Bos, Min, Was
6: LAA, Tex, SF
5: NYA, Tor, Cle, Sea, Atl, Fla, Phi, StL, SD
4: Bal, Cin, Htn, LAN
3: TB, ChA, ChN, Mil, Pit
2: Det, KC
1: NYN

Very interesting to see Oakland's name at the top of the list. Oakland's had some pretty bad drafts since the moneyball draft; other than Street and Suzuki, they haven't gotten much of anything, and most of their current prospects came from the Haren and Swisher trades. I guess it was time for them to try something new. Perhaps signability guys are the new undervalued market.

#454 AZBlue

• 1547 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

Gary Henderson, Kentucky's pitching coach, has been named to replace Cohen. This suggests that Alex Meyer will continue to be the ultra tough sign predicted before the draft.

Henderson hired as Kentucky head baseball coach

University of Kentucky baseball head coach John Cohen has resigned as coach of the Wildcats, and associate head coach Gary Henderson has been promoted to the top spot, Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart announced Friday afternoon.

Kentucky pitching coach Gary Henderson was announced as John Cohen's successor.
Henderson, UK's associate head coach and pitching coach for the past five years, becomes the 25th head coach in the 104-year history of Wildcat baseball. Henderson has been a cornerstone in the success of the UK program over the past five years, helping transform the Wildcats into an annual national contender. Henderson's 2008 staff was the best in the Southeastern Conference, pacing the conference with a 3.71 team ERA, ranking as the second-best ERA in school history.

#455 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17315 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

I'm going to lock this thread and direct discussion to the Post-Draft Thread.