Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2008 MLB Draft Game Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
454 replies to this topic

#1 Williams Head Case

• 1679 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

For all of us minor league fanatics, the draft has always been a special if underrated day. Well like Christmas it's here again and the quest to restock the minors continues. So far lots of speculation has centered around South Carolina SS Reese Havens ending up with the Sox but equally as intriguing is the first pick by the Rays. No one candidate seems to be a lock, though Beckham and Posey seem to be the most mentioned. Here is a great primer from our friends at SoxProspects.com:

Red Sox Draft Preview

#2 NDBoston

• 749 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

I know this isn't quite on-topic, but I thought this was an interesting story.

Pedro Alvarez is the player who "got away" in the 2005 draft but it wasn't for a lack of trying. According to a very good source, the Red Sox did the full court press on signing him. In fact, the Red Sox were literally calling him every hour the last few days trying to get him to change his mind before he walked into his first class.

The problem? His father. He actually put Pedro into his cab (yes he's a cab driver but I"m betting not for long) and drove him to Nashville from NYC and walked him to class on his first day at Vanderbilt. The father was adament his son would go to college and wasn't going to take any chances. Pedro is a very big Red Sox fan too and without his father's influence, I think he would have signed.

At least Pedro his in good hands. His coach Tim Corbin is a huge Red Sox fan. They have their own version of the "Green Monster" and the font Vandy uses on the back of their uniforms is the same as the Red Sox .

Let's hope the Red Sox have better luck getting their players in this year's draft.

Edited by NDBoston, 04 June 2008 - 10:52 PM.

#3 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10043 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

Here is an updated link Williams Head Case. The other link is dead.

http://redsoxprospec....com/topic/3044

#4 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1919 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

Quick question on the timing: I know in years past the MLB draft has gone really fast, unlike in other sports, but I seem to recall it slowing down considerably last year due to TV coverage. If it starts at 1:00 PM CDT and I have an exam at 4:30, am I likely to see the Sox pick at #30?

#5 diehard24

• 535 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

I know this isn't quite on-topic, but I thought this was an interesting story.

Pedro Alvarez is the player who "got away" in the 2005 draft but it wasn't for a lack of trying. According to a very good source, the Red Sox did the full court press on signing him. In fact, the Red Sox were literally calling him every hour the last few days trying to get him to change his mind before he walked into his first class.

The problem? His father. He actually put Pedro into his cab (yes he's a cab driver but I"m betting not for long) and drove him to Nashville from NYC and walked him to class on his first day at Vanderbilt. The father was adament his son would go to college and wasn't going to take any chances. Pedro is a very big Red Sox fan too and without his father's influence, I think he would have signed.

At least Pedro his in good hands. His coach Tim Corbin is a huge Red Sox fan. They have their own version of the "Green Monster" and the font Vandy uses on the back of their uniforms is the same as the Red Sox .

Let's hope the Red Sox have better luck getting their players in this year's draft.

The Sox adherence to the wishes of the commissioner's office was also a factor. Being good boys probably cost them Alvarez, Smoak, and/or Havens, though it's hard to argue with what the got in '05. Old friend Jim Callis did a story on this very topic (subscription only). Jim doesn't talk about it here, but that played a factor in the over-slot signings in '06, which go beyond guys like Kalish and Lars. The Sox took 11 players after round 8 that valued themselves at 6 figures, took the summer to watch them closely and get to know them, and signed 5 of them: Kalish, Weeden, Reddick, Anderson, and Lentz.

#6 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17314 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:56 AM

This deserves more coverage... to the Main Board!

#7 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17314 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

Quick question on the timing: I know in years past the MLB draft has gone really fast, unlike in other sports, but I seem to recall it slowing down considerably last year due to TV coverage. If it starts at 1:00 PM CDT and I have an exam at 4:30, am I likely to see the Sox pick at #30?

According to ESPN, there is a 5 minute time limit between 1st round picks and 1 minute between compensations picks. I assume that both limits are for television purposes, so 5 minutes between picks means 12 picks in an hour which means... the first round should end at the latest by 4pm (CDT). So, good possibility assuming you don't have too far to go between TV and exam.

#8 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3857 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

• Heard David Cooper as a fallback option for three teams late in the first round: Colorado, the Yankees and Boston.

Keith Law's 6/4/08 blog

#9 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25333 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Just a tidbit picked up from browsing at 3:30 a.m. EST:

Within the first two rounds, the Brewers pick 16th, 32nd, 35th, 53rd, 54th, and 62nd.

#10 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2614 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

MLB.com will once again be hosting the draft for those of us who can't watch on TV.

Draft Central

Draft Tracker

I believe they will also be streaming as we get closer to the start of the draft.

#11 genoasalami

• 578 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

According to breaking news at stpetetimes.com the Rays will take Griffin (Ga.) High SS Tim Beckham with the top pick in today's draft.

#12 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4144 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

The real interesting part of the draft will be the first couple of picks, as who the Rays go with will have a serious ripple effect throughout the rest of the top 10-12. If the go Posey, Tim Beckham could slide quite a few spots, and the same is true of Posey if they go with Beckham. There’s a consensus top 5 or so, but no clear cut number 1. Really looking forward to seeing how it shakes out, and (of course) who the Sox end up going with at 30.

#13 Williams Head Case

• 1679 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

I suppose if I had to make an edumacated guess, I'd say the Castro falls to the Sox and they don't hesitate to take him. Rare would it be that the best player left on the board would also fill such a big system need at catcher, but (if the stars align), that could very well happen this year. If he's scooped up by then, I'd say its even money between Cooper and Havens.

#14 drtooth

• 2:30

• 9141 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

According to mlb.com, the Rays are picking Beckham

#15 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

Guarantee: The Red Sox will not be taking a college reliever in the first or supplemental round.

#16 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23181 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

who do you guys think is taking Pedro Alvarez?

kind of a proud day here in WH.

Edited by rembrat, 05 June 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#17 BCsMightyJoeYoung

• 2548 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

According to ESPN, there is a 5 minute time limit between 1st round picks and 1 minute between compensations picks. I assume that both limits are for television purposes, so 5 minutes between picks means 12 picks in an hour which means... the first round should end at the latest by 4pm (CDT). So, good possibility assuming you don't have too far to go between TV and exam.

MLB.com is saying the actual draft doesn't start until 2:00pm. They are having a Nergo Leagues draft at 1:00

#18 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2614 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

who do you guys think is taking Pedro Alvarez?

kind of a proud day here in WH.

Pittsburgh, they need to show the fans they are committed (monetarily) to rebuilding the franchise.

#19 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13353 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

MLB.com is saying the actual draft doesn't start until 2:00pm. They are having a Nergo Leagues draft at 1:00

2:00 PM EDT, 1:00PM CDT. The poster lives in central time.

#20 BCsMightyJoeYoung

• 2548 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

2:00 PM EDT, 1:00PM CDT. The poster lives in central time.

oops - but what do I know .. I live in Atlantic Time :)

#21 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20794 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

So I'm gonna be at work untl 4PM EST meaning I have to follow this thing on the net until I leave. Last year there was a javascript window that updated with picks as they were made. Kind of like a gameday window. I'm having trouble finding it this year, can anyone help? I'm at the draft central page, but I'm not seeing anything quite like that.

Closest I've been able to find is the Draft Tracker, but it looks vastly different from what I remember of last year. Am I just missing it? Or is that it?

#22 Fred not Lynn

• Dick Button Jr.

• 3640 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Pedro is a very big Red Sox fan too and without his father's influence, I think he would have signed.

I don't think a player can let his affection for a particular team bear too much weight in a decision whether to sign or go to college. There's just too much chance that you'll be moved to another organization at some point in the player development process. You'd hate to have generally preferred college, and given that up because you got drafted by what was your favorite team growing up - and then be traded away.

Edited by Fred not Lynn, 05 June 2008 - 11:56 AM.

#23 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16130 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:49 AM

Predictions on top 10 and then you get 2 picks at who the Sox will grab

1. Rays--Tim Beckham
2. Pirates--Pedro Alvarez
3. Royals--Eric Hosmer
4. Orioles--Brian Matsuz
5. Giants--Buster Posey
6. Marlins--Justin Smoak
7. Reds--Gordon Beckham
8. White Sox--Brett Wallace
9. Nationals--Yonder Alonso
10. Astros--Aaron Crow

Sox
Reese Havens or Daniel Schlereth(wouldn't be hurt if they picked 1B Ike Davis of Arizona State because of their need of young polished power hitters)

#24 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3143 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

The 2008 draft will be streamed of espn360 from what I can tell.

http://broadband.esp...f?id=0605140001

#25 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20078 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

What is the point of the Negro league draft?

#26 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13972 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

I don't think a player can let his affection for a particular team bear too much weight in a decision whether to sign or go to college. There's just too much chance that you'll be moved to another organization at some point in the player development process. You'd hate to have generally preferred college, and given that up because you got drafted by what was your favorite team growing up - and then be traded away.

Also known as the Tyler Pelland story. He had a free ride to Clemson, but the Red Sox bought him out of that. He was a PTBNL at the next trading deadline.

#27 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16130 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Also known as the Tyler Pelland story. He had a free ride to Clemson, but the Red Sox bought him out of that. He was a PTBNL at the next trading deadline.

Well nobody really has a free ride in college baseball. There aren't enough scholarships to do that.

#28 sibpin

• 2628 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

In the last 10 years, how often do first-round picks get traded quickly? I know there's a limitation that you can't trade picks nor players during their first year in the pros.

A few that I can remember traded during the last offseason: Andrew Miller (2006), Cameron Maybin (2005), Matt Garza (2005), Joey Devine (2005), Phil Humber (2004), Delmon Young (2003), Lastings Milledge (2003), Carlos Quentin (2003). 5 players out of the last 90 first-round picks? Seems like teams really rely on their first-round picks - particularly if they have not made the majors yet.

#29 Green Monster

• 1547 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

In the last 10 years, how often do first-round picks get traded quickly? I know there's a limitation that you can't trade picks nor players during their first year in the pros.

A few that I can remember traded during the last offseason: Andrew Miller (2006), Cameron Maybin (2005), Matt Garza (2005), Joey Devine (2005), Phil Humber (2004), Delmon Young (2003), Lastings Milledge (2003), Carlos Quentin (2003). 5 players out of the last 90 first-round picks? Seems like teams really rely on their first-round picks - particularly if they have not made the majors yet.

David Murphy (2003)

#30 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13353 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

4 years is not "quickly."

#31 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10990 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

It looks like the top 4 picks are set with the Giants' pick at 5 being the one that shapes the whole rest of the round, in that they are choosing between three guys who are reportedly the clear #1 choices of the next three teams. Someone will be disappointed.

5. SF One of:
6. Fla, Posey. If not, Skipworth.
7. Cin, G. Beckham. If not, Lawrie
8. ChA. Smoak. If not, probably Alonso.

At 9 the Nationals reportedly like Alonso, Crow, and maybe Skipworth, and after that the permutations get too complicated.

#32 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18136 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

It looks like the top 4 picks are set with the Giants' pick at 5 being the one that shapes the whole rest of the round, in that they are choosing between three guys who are reportedly the clear #1 choices of the next three teams. Someone will be disappointed.

5. SF One of:
6. Fla, Posey. If not, Skipworth.
7. Cin, G. Beckham. If not, Lawrie
8. ChA. Smoak. If not, probably Alonso.

At 9 the Nationals reportedly like Alonso, Crow, and maybe Skipworth, and after that the permutations get too complicated.

I do hope the Giants go with Posey at 5. An elite athlete for his position, and an excellent bat. Smoak is a real nice player, and will play in the major, but will he have the elite power (35 HR+) to really be special at that position? And an Villinueva ever play anything other than 1B?

#33 BCsMightyJoeYoung

• 2548 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Has the draft started yet? I can't get the baseballchannel link to stream anything.

#34 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23181 posts

omg cowbells and tb ray fans are there

#35 ookami7m

• 4196 posts

mlb.com giving the ESPN2 coverage streaming online for those of us at work today....

#36 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4144 posts

If 360 doesn't work for you (as it doesn't for me) this is streaming live at MLB.com as well.

#37 cannonball 1729

• 1939 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Has the draft started yet? I can't get the baseballchannel link to stream anything.

Rays are on the clock, but no selections yet.

#38 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18136 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Tampa has not picked yet.

ESPN2 went to commercial a few seconds ago with the image of poor Zimmer trying to use a phone. (I have video but no audio here at the office)

#39 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16130 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

Tampa has selected HS SS Tim Beckham of Griffin, Georgia.

#40 Williams Head Case

• 1679 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

Beckham!!! Shocker!

#41 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21401 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

Ravech? Seriously?

"When you (Law) say that he might outgrow the position, what do you mean?"

#42 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13972 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

I understand that televising the draft brings more attention to college baseball and minor league baseball to the average fan, but I really miss the rapid-fire nature of what the draft used to be. They'd be on the Red Sox pick by now.

#43 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21401 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

The current Pirates management has showed signs of competency.

And they select Alvarez - nice.

#44 Razor Shines

• 3486 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Ravech? Seriously?

"When you (Law) say that he might outgrow the position, what do you mean?"

Might be more of a question meant to inform the casual viewer. The whole national TV thing is new to the draft.

#45 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16130 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

1. TB--Tim Beckham HS SS Griffin, GA
2. PIT-Pedro Alvarez 3B-Vanderbilt

#46 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20794 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'm still in awe at how good the Ray's system is and how it could be even better at the start of next year than it was to start this year. (That will largely depend on whether Price gets promoted to the majors this year or next, IMO) I wonder what they're going to do in Tampa when they don't have the first pick in the draft next year? That's gonna be a little weird.

#47 Carmine Hose

• 3483 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

It's a lot easier to build a good minor league system when you only win 60 games a year for 10 years.

#48 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4144 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Alavarez to the Pirates - AKA we shouldn't have picked a #4 starter in the first round last year.

#49 ookami7m

• 4196 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I understand that televising the draft brings more attention to college baseball and minor league baseball to the average fan, but I really miss the rapid-fire nature of what the draft used to be. They'd be on the Red Sox pick by now.

I agree, I remember listening online to the conference call a few years ago. It seems now like MLB has teams taking most of the full 5 minutes to allow for TV time.

#50 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20794 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

It's a lot easier to build a good minor league system when you only win 60 games a year for 10 years.

Oh, I'm not impressed with how they did it, just with the result. They're going to be feeding talent into that major league roster for quite a few years, it seems. The timing of their rise is pretty nice, though. They're a viable playoff threat this year and are bringing the number 1 overall pick into the number 1 system in baseball.

Not a bad time to be one of the 18 Rays fans who existed before the start of the season.