Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Bryan Corey Traded to San Diego

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,369 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

Just got some news from a reliable source that Bryan Corey has been traded to San Diego for the oft-traded PTBNL.

Will update with an official link as soon as one is available.

#2 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3,857 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

FWIW trade is being reported on the Padres pre-game broadcast. Corey for PTBNL or cash considerations.

#3 pedantsoxfan

• 533 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Just got some news from a reliable source that Bryan Corey has been traded to San Diego for the oft-traded PTBNL.

Will update with an official link as soon as one is available.

I wonder if they traded Corey for a couple of reasons 1. To make sure they get something for him because they planned to send him down to Pawtucket when Cora or Colon retun and they did not think he would pass waivers without being scooped up by another team for free. 2. To leave room for Lowrie to stay up when they bring up Cora, because they are losing faith in Lugo.

#4 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,490 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

I wonder if they traded Corey for a couple of reasons 1. To make sure they get something for him because they planned to send him down to Pawtucket when Cora or Colon retun and they did not think he would pass waivers without being scooped up by another team for free. 2. To leave room for Lowrie to stay up when they bring up Cora, because they are losing faith in Lugo.

Corey was already at Pawtucket.

5/1/08 Sent RHP Bryan Corey outright to Triple-A Pawtucket, he had been designated for assignment on April 29.

#5 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,766 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

Good for him. I hope he gets a chance to pitch for their big league team. I hope he does well and PETCO makes him look terrific. And I hope he parlays it all into a contract that makes him enough money to live comfortably.

#6 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4,236 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

Good for him. I hope he gets a chance to pitch for their big league team. I hope he does well and PETCO makes him look terrific. And I hope he parlays it all into a contract that makes him enough money to live comfortably.

...it worked for Rudy Seanez.

#7 amarshal2

• 2,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

Great. Now he'll have a 1.78 ERA in that ballpark/league and we'll have to listen to people complaining about Theo's inability to make favorable trades. I doubt they'll get much in return.

#8 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 4,916 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

...it worked for Rudy Seanez.

and Cla

There's no real upside to this for Theo he just didn't want to keep him on the rosters any more when there is clearly no role for him at the bigs.

Any thoughts anyone on the PTBNL? Likely one of those performance based lists is my thought

#9 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Here's a link: http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...sp&c_id=mlb

#10 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

There's no real upside to this for Theo he just didn't want to keep him on the rosters any more when there is clearly no role for him at the bigs.

Then there's probably not much downside here either, is there?

#11 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,766 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

and Cla

Any thoughts anyone on the PTBNL? Likely one of those performance based lists is my thought

I think there's a possible unseen upside in being regarded as being fair to players. It might never manifest itself in an acquisition or signing happening that wouldn't have. It might never manifest itself in a player staying here and not going to another team. But it can't hurt to be seen as being fair to the guy and giving him a chance as opposed to being the sort of team that tries to invalidate contracts and do things like that.

#12 jtn46

• SoSH Member

• 6,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

This is good news. I think Corey was a decent guy to have around, but his status as "first bullpen arm to get the call" seemed like it wasn't so deserved, as he was getting out-pitched by guys in Pawtucket and was pretty horrible with the big club this season.

#13 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,624 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Then there's probably not much downside here either, is there?

First, it was the right thing to do for Corey, who, with the emergence of Hansen, and with Colon and Schilling coming back later in the season was blocked six ways to Sunday as far as getting a job in the Sox pen. He would have spent the entire season at AAA, in a career that is running out of time. Now, he has a final chance to earn a ML paycheck and see if he can stick with an ML team for a few years.

Second, if Corey is wildly successful, and there's a chance that in that park and league, he could be, Theo can get back (as the PTBNL) a good young player from the Pads. That's a win-win for everyone concerned.

Good move by Theo.

#14 someoneanywhere

• 3,171 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Second, if Corey is wildly successful, and there's a chance that in that park and league, he could be, Theo can get back (as the PTBNL) a good young player from the Pads. That's a win-win for everyone concerned.

Good move by Theo.

It's well known -- Theo himself admitted it when the Cla deal turned out to be a winner for the Padres -- that Towers has a special eye for pitching. So maybe the idea that Corey is going to be decent for them isn't so far-fetched. And if he is,
I would love to be a fly on the wall when the negotiations open for the PTBNL. Do you suppose these performance deals force these GMs into awkward negotiations? As in, say, Towers emphasizing the very things that might help Corey be effective -- the park, the league -- as a way to lessen the value of the PTBNL, and Theo emphasizing Towers's shrewd eye for pitching as a way to heighten it?

#15 cliffintheDR

• 159 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

and Cla

Is it possible that the PTBNL is based on the performance of Corey?

If he stays on the roster and contributes, vs. stinking it up. Both teams get equitable value the trade deserves.

If teams agree to a trade, perhaps there is an 'A' list and a 'B' list; based on the performance of the named player (Corey).

#16 67WasBest

• Concierge

• 1,994 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

Great. Now he'll have a 1.78 ERA in that ballpark/league and we'll have to listen to people complaining about Theo's inability to make favorable trades. I doubt they'll get much in return.

I thought we had something in Corey, but he didn't deliver as I, and many, had hoped. With the Sox having so many ballplayers in the "no option" window we knew we would lose some. Corey at least provides hope for something of value in return.

I learned, and I'm assuming you did also, we can't judge the deals Theo makes strictly by the success players have in their new location. Corey was a lost cause to the Sox and anything of value is worth the price paid. If he has a great career in Petco, we get a decent prospect we can speculate on for the future; if he fails, we get filler for the Pawtucket roster. Worst case, nothing gained, nothing lost; best case, we obtain a piece that may provide value in the future.

#17 sox junky

• 946 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

Don't hold your breath for ANYTHING of value. Corey could have been claimed off waivers twice by the Padres... I think it's more likely that the Sox get cash in return. At best, you're looking at a Sean Danielson type return.

#18 67WasBest

• Concierge

• 1,994 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:57 AM

Don't hold your breath for ANYTHING of value. Corey could have been claimed off waivers twice by the Padres... I think it's more likely that the Sox get cash in return. At best, you're looking at a Sean Danielson type return.

I'm in no danger of suffocation. AAAA begets AAAA, but sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle. No plans to build the 2010 Sox around the return for Corey.

#19 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,624 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:23 AM

It's well known -- Theo himself admitted it when the Cla deal turned out to be a winner for the Padres -- that Towers has a special eye for pitching. So maybe the idea that Corey is going to be decent for them isn't so far-fetched. And if he is,
I would love to be a fly on the wall when the negotiations open for the PTBNL. Do you suppose these performance deals force these GMs into awkward negotiations? As in, say, Towers emphasizing the very things that might help Corey be effective -- the park, the league -- as a way to lessen the value of the PTBNL, and Theo emphasizing Towers's shrewd eye for pitching as a way to heighten it?

I believe that the negotiation happens BEFORE the trade. Levels of performance and matching players are set in place, so the better Corey does, the more likely we get the better player. And if he bombs, we get a few bucks.

#20 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

Trades in May involving a PTBNL may very well be pre-arranged for a draft pick from the previous year, but due to trading regulations those players can't be traded until the subsequent draft (this June). Once the draft passes the player is named and the trade is completed. Or it could be the multiple levels thing. Or a combination of the two.

#21 holden13

• 51 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Bryan is a neighbor, humble and a good guy. My family and I are hopeful for him.