Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Should MLB retire Roberto Clemente's number?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Should MLB retire Roberto Clemente's number for all teams like they did for Jackie Robinson? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MLB retire Roberto Clemente's number for all teams like they did for Jackie Robinson?

1. Hell yes (6 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

2. Heck no (49 votes [73.13%])

Percentage of vote: 73.13%

3. Who cares (9 votes [13.43%])

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

4. I dunno (3 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22487 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

According to this article, Jackie Robinson's daughter is against the idea

I agreed with her before I read the article, Jackie broke barriers for all minorities, Clemente was a great player, but there are lots of great players, and he didn't break any barriers that I'm aware of.

#2 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25528 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

He didn't even break the "died in a plane crash" barrier. Ken Hubbs beat him to that.

No way should his number be retired.

#3 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9295 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

It's appropriate for the Pirates to do so. Period.

If mlb wants to honor him with a charitable foundation or initiative, then fine.

Edited by Nuf Ced, 24 January 2006 - 10:12 AM.

#4 Lose Remerswaal

• 22487 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

He didn't even break the "died in a plane crash" barrier. Ken Hubbs beat him to that.

No way should his number be retired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And then Thurman Munson imitated both of them.

#5 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:40 AM

I really don't care one way or another. I personally think that numbers on all counts should only be retired by teams. There should be no league wide numbers retired, and certainly not Clemente.

#6 Who The Hell is Stan Papi

• I Made My Train!

• 3030 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

And then Thurman Munson imitated both of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh, man, I can just hear Sal from Yonkers of the 'FAN demanding MLB retire his number cuz he died in a plane too.

#7 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18165 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

I don't think major league baseball should globally retire any number, so No I don't think they should retire Clemente's number.

But they are the one's who set the precedent, so I can't really say I care anymore. It was wrong when they did it for Robinson, but once you open the can of worms.

#8 Lose Remerswaal

• 22487 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

If they retire Clemente's, then they have to retire Nomo or Ichiro's, and then Chan Ho Park, and then Eddie Gaedel, and then Kevin Millar (first moron to win a ring) and so on and so on.

#9 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13588 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

There's a good chance the only person who is a bigger fan of his than I on this board is Clemente38. And I say no. In case anyone cares.

#10 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16471 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

No way. He was a great ballplayer, a great man. Which is why we have the Roberto Clemente Award.

But he really didn't break any barriers. I'm not a big fan of retiring Jackie's number, but at least he did break the biggest barrier in sports history. Clemente really wasn't even the first Latin star - that was Minnie Minoso.

#11 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6017 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

He was the man in right field. Period. However, it would be absolutely absurd for any team, other than the Bucs, to retire his number.

However, the Sox need to retire Willie Mays' number 24 as another reminder (Jackie's number 42 is already in right field) of the bigotry of the Yawkey administration.

Edited by jacklamabe65, 25 January 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#12 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7588 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

He was the man in right field.  Period.  However, it would be absolutely absurd for any team, other than the Bucs, to retire his number.

However, the Sox need to retire Willie Mays' number 24 as another reminder (Jackie's number 41 is already in right field) of the bigotry of the Yawkey administration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If what you say is true of most people, I guess Jackie's not enough of a league-wide reminder. It's 42.

Did Rice wear 24?

Personally, no. It cheapens the whole thing when it's expected. There are too many retired numbers as it is.

#13 Plantiers Wart

• 2656 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

Rice wore 14, Dewey 24. And a big "no" on Clemente.

#14 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49118 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

However, the Sox need to retire Willie Mays' number 24 as another reminder (Jackie's number 41 is already in right field) of the bigotry of the Yawkey administration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is idiotic.

Someday, before you die, you need to learn to accept that not every imperfection of mankind can or should to be met with a symbolic, ego-sating act of contrition.

#15 Clemente38

• 1313 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

As much as it pains me to write this, I don't think "21" should be retired by the MLB. Clemente was a god in Puerto Rico and did much for the presence/growth of Latino baseball players in MLB, but I am just not a fan of retiring numbers across baseball and the point of Minnie Minoso being the first Latino is oft sighted even in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure my lack of support for Clemente will mean that the Steelers will be struck down in Detroit, but there you have it. And this from someone who was there for Clemente's 3,000 hit. And I cried when I heard the news of his plane going down - my personal Buddy Holly experience.

Thanks Lose for bringing it up, and I saw your pick of Seattle in the SB.

#16 Lose Remerswaal

• 22487 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

Thanks Lose for bringing it up, and I saw your pick of Seattle in the SB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You saw my pick of who in the what?

I'll be rooting for Matty and baby Moose, but I'm expecting the Steelers to win handily

#17 BTownBeckett

• 484 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

If they ever did retire Clemente's number, think of who other minorities would try to get retired. Who would be the first Asian player who "broke the previously broken barrier?" Maybe we could divide it up into actual countries. Maybe we should retire the numbers of the first Haitian, Cuban and Dominican players? Then we could introduce, what we've all always prayed for, the triple digit jersey!!! Someone could finally don the dreaded 666, or maybe we could pass it from slumping player to slumping player as a kind of kick in the ass that says "get it going, Satan!"

#18 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5358 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

Sounds to me like MasterCard must be at a loss for this year's baseball-related marketing campaign.

Some PR flack somewhere had a brain storm - "Hmm, Hispanic marketing is hot right now... How can we do something there? Hey, there's a lot of baseball players who are Hispanic. Who was the Jackie Robinson of Hispanics?! Get me Mr. Selig!!!"

#19 MarkInLondon

• Texas resident

• 5139 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:12 AM

I think MLB should retire the number '69'. It would just be nice to have it up in every ballpark.