Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2008 BC Football

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
544 replies to this topic

#51 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

If Crane really is the best QB on the roster, and it's not close, then I agree that you have to play him this year. The defense has the potential to be the best one since 1994.

But it just seems like a waste to finally have a really aggressive passing scheme in place with Logan and Jags, and we can't take advantage of it in 2008 or 2009 because we have to break in new quarterbacks both years.

#52 4 6 3 DP

• 1267 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

I dont think Jags and Logan want to run a really aggressive passing scheme. I think they want to run a spread with an athletic QB - Logan's time at ECU really backs this up.

I look at it as they maximized the QB and offense we had last year in a way that the previous admin did not and would not, even though it meant running an offense a bit different than what they preferred.

Look at the QB recruits so far under Jags/Logan - Davis, Johnson, Tuggle. Recruiting Eugene Smith hard this year. These simply aren't the type of kids we've had at QB at this school since Bicknell, I think, and as such I credit the staff last year for working with what they have.

Word I've heard is to expect a much more open playbook Saturday - we'll know a lot more by 3PM or so.

#53 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

At ECU, Logan rewrote the school record books when it came to passing - every one of the top 10 passing seasons in ECU history came during his tenure. I wouldn't say that running a spread offense with an athletic QB means you aren't employing an aggressive passing attack. Spread offenses are throwing the ball all over the place these days, and Logan was ahead of the curve on that. Blake and Garrard were both athletic but also threw the ball downfield frequently; these guys weren't Tommy Frazier. Blake especially; he was one of the best college QBs of the last 20 or so years at throwing the deep ball, and he absolutely thrived under Logan.

I don't expect Logan and Jags to be as pass-oriented as they were last year, but I'm sure they want to throw it a lot more often than TOB did, and more effectively than they were able to do against Kent State.

#54 doldmoose34

• impregnated Melissa Theuriau

• 2876 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

based on the forcasts, i wouldn't bet on too much in the air tomorrow, and the fucking option has given us fits since the dark days of Yukika

that said,

BC 21

GT 10

Hanna 0

Mosi, case of beer, bottle of Jameson's and rain gear for 10am tailgate kickoff

#55 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

Kirk Herbstreit has his big upset watch as GT over BC. I mean, really? It's only a 6.5 spread and could be played in shitty conditions.

I think it is going to be low scoring and close, 14-7 BC.... (so that means BC will win 28-0 :rolling: )

#56 JulE6

• the crying game

• PipPip
  • 3750 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

crane can move a little bit, if jago can learn to implement that a bit more that could be a good weapon

#57 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7189 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Checking in from Barcelona here. I would be following the game live but the Internet is broken in my room so that kinda sucks. Nice to see Apon put three through (when I saw 9-7 I naturally assumed he missed a FG). Looks like Crane is getting some nice yardage on runs and is ¨managing the game¨efficeintly. Hopefully he can keep that up and get them to the V. Big game in terms of setting the tone in the ACC.

#58 4 6 3 DP

• 1267 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

I have admitted many times on this board that I was a buffoon for questioning Matt Ryan - but doubt Im making the same mistake twice (If I do, BCSF will find and hunt me down). The entire offense is a trainwreck and I think Jags has to consider using the bye week to reconsider the QB decision. Even at Quinton Porter's worse there wasn't the amount of overthrown balls, missed receivers, and laying guys out to get killed in the flats.

That said, Paul Johnson is an excellent coach and good for him to get a win in a tough situation. This isn't just a "shoot BC" think, give credit to the opponent as well, they came up big when it counted.

#59 BCSoxFan

• 2482 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

I missed this game and the first game. I'll take your word on Crane.

Tough loss.

#60 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Crane was so bad it was not even funny. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

#61 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

Yeah. Have to agree. Crane looked like he didn't have a clue. And he also didn't manage the game. That safety was unacceptable.

#62 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 13848 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

Just got back from the game a short time ago. I've never seen a QB miss as many open receivers before in my life. Just a bad, bad game. They should have buried GT early, but Crane simply lost the game for them.

#63 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

Just got back from the game a short time ago. I've never seen a QB miss as many open receivers before in my life. Just a bad, bad game. They should have buried GT early, but Crane simply lost the game for them.

It really seemed that way on TV. Lots of head shaking by the WRs. The interception he threw over the middle was actually behind a wide open receiver.

#64 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5191 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

So I'd like to revisit my post from last week at this time...is there a QB other than Crane that we can consider playing? I don't need to see any more of Crane to know that this team isn't going anywhere with him. College seasons move swiftly - after next game, a quarter of the season is gone. This is supposed to be the easy part of the schedule and we already have a loss in the ACC. If Crane keeps playing, we're probably not making a bowl game AND we're doomed to another new QB transition in 2009.

#65 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

So I'd like to revisit my post from last week at this time...is there a QB other than Crane that we can consider playing? I don't need to see any more of Crane to know that this team isn't going anywhere with him. College seasons move swiftly - after next game, a quarter of the season is gone. This is supposed to be the easy part of the schedule and we already have a loss in the ACC. If Crane keeps playing, we're probably not making a bowl game AND we're doomed to another new QB transition in 2009.

My guess is that you won't see an immediate change here but given that there is bye next week, Dominque Davis will begin to see a significant number of snaps at practice so that a change can be made if Crane continues to be ineffective.

#66 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

My guess is that you won't see an immediate change here but given that there is bye next week, Dominque Davis will begin to see a significant number of snaps at practice so that a change can be made if Crane continues to be ineffective.

The scary part is that at the same scrimmages where Crane was mediocre, Davis was downright abysmal, so I'm not holding out much hope with him

Saturday was just such a trainwreck.

Crane was awful, but he wasn;t the only guy who blew it. There were some drops, one critical one of course in Anderson. There was just some horrible crakdowns on defense, where Nesbit made BC defenders just look pathetic. And of course our lack of kicking was critical as Steve A missed a chipshot field goal, and then Jags refused to attempt a game tying field goal at the end

I also completely don't understand Logan's play calling. He went away from everything that was effective in the first half in the second half. And can we get a bleeping screen pass. Good grief, they ran one in the first, it was hugely effective, and then with a struggling QB they refused to call the easiest play in the playbook in the second half

#67 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

The scary part is that at the same scrimmages where Crane was mediocre, Davis was downright abysmal, so I'm not holding out much hope with him

Saturday was just such a trainwreck.

Crane was awful, but he wasn;t the only guy who blew it. There were some drops, one critical one of course in Anderson. There was just some horrible crakdowns on defense, where Nesbit made BC defenders just look pathetic. And of course our lack of kicking was critical as Steve A missed a chipshot field goal, and then Jags refused to attempt a game tying field goal at the end

I also completely don't understand Logan's play calling. He went away from everything that was effective in the first half in the second half. And can we get a bleeping screen pass. Good grief, they ran one in the first, it was hugely effective, and then with a struggling QB they refused to call the easiest play in the playbook in the second half

here is what I just posted over on EA

while Crane was awful, it wasn't all on him, the whole game plan went out the window when a) Hayden went out, b) Crane got dinged up taking away the option threat.

Jet Smith is good in doses, but he's no feature back, change of pace back.

if Hayden's injury is a high sprain, 'starting at Tailback, #16 Brian Toal' why not? LB is one of the places where we are deep

can you ever remember a BC team that could defend the option?

as I said to one of my seatmates, who will remain nameless, anytime when the offensive MVP of the half is Sid, you're in trouble. 4 trips into the red zone and 4 kicks?, not good

the killers were the non catch by BRob in the end zone and the one that hit Anderson between the 8-7, then again Crane threw that BRob ball like he was Pap in the 9th all heat, no touch

someone who was in the stands about a half hour before kickoff (see there is ONE) said that in warm up Crane was putting the ball right where it had to be, while Davis' thrown could be clocked for hang time, he may not be an option

even though they pulled it out, it was a great ride home, listening tothe 3rd qtr of the San Diego State/ Fraudulent French game as the Azteks were taking it to the fruads, shake down the echo's my ass

tough choice this week, root for Rich $4million man Rod or the French? Hail to the victors....

watched the all directional FLA battle UCF vs USF, not to go all Pinhead on you but we could be in trouble. UCF has a ton of speed, and resume not withstanding a hell of a coach in O'Leary that gets everything out of his players. even though they lost in OT they came back from 24-10 down with less then 5 to go to tie it, lot of heart on that team...

I think that we'll know more in a couple weeks, and the weather i'm sure had a lot to do with it, but it sure looked like there were a lot of empty parking spaces around Walsh and what ever they call the Reservoir tower now, will smiling Gene be selling on campus parking on gameday?

Brady out is going to make this a long fall. When you think about it we've been damn lucky that he's played all these years without injury..now comes the knife..I shudder to think that the curtin is starting to come down on the golden era of the big 2 Boston Pro Sports

couple things i ment to say there but didn't, I think Harris 41 could be a player

not to use the traditional TOB excuse, but it was fucking hot and humid in there yesterday, they were rotating in players on D, and GT had the option dive really set up when they broke the long TD it was vs the 2nd linebackers

lets hope this was the traditional 2008 WTF game

Edited by doldmoose34, 07 September 2008 - 10:02 PM.

#68 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

Chris Crane sucks. Tom Brady is out for the year. My only football enjoyment is going to be watching Matt Ryan mature as an NFL QB. He's off to a great start.

#69 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Not a complete excuse but word is that half the team had stomach flu/food poisoning on Saturday (including Crane). It at least seems to show why the D was worn down in the 4th. Given how muggy the weather was on Sat, it does explain a little. We'll have to see how they respond against a pretty good UCF team.

#70 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Any news on Haden? BC desperately needs him out there to avoid needing Crane to throw as much as possible.

#71 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

watched the all directional FLA battle UCF vs USF, not to go all Pinhead on you but we could be in trouble. UCF has a ton of speed, and resume not withstanding a hell of a coach in O'Leary that gets everything out of his players. even though they lost in OT they came back from 24-10 down with less then 5 to go to tie it, lot of heart on that team...

I know its lame quoting you own self, but to paraphrase Ben Crenshaw in '99, I've got a bad feelin about this one...

but I can't go against the Eagles

BC 21

Directional FLA 20

#72 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

Well, this was a pretty similar performance from BC. Once again, the defense was awesome, Crane sucked, and Montel Harris ran the ball well. Unless the offense really improves, I think we're looking at 6 or 7 win season, which would be a travesty given how good the defense is.

#73 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

What year is Harris? I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of the BC team coming into the season but I cannot remember even glazing over his name.

And damn, 4 picks and 253 yards of offense for UCF. Way to go defesne.

#74 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

What year is Harris? I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of the BC team coming into the season but I cannot remember even glazing over his name.

And damn, 4 picks and 253 yards of offense for UCF. Way to go defesne.

Harris is a frosh from Jacksonville, FL. Only got 2 stars from the recruitniks so he's been a bit of a revelation. Harris deserves the leading role with Haden and Smith serving as change-of-pace backs.

#75 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

A win is a win and BC's defense looked good again. I think Crane looked pretty good in the second half. Here's my assessment of what's going on here based on watching the game and reading the game stories.

1. Jags is a first time head coach. He's still learning. Last year was a no brainer because he had Matty to cover up his mistakes but I think we say a significant learning experience yesterday.

2. To point 1, Jags knows he has a fantastic defense and went into the season wanting "not to give games away". As a result, he was playing conservative on offsense. However, this offense is not built to be conservative and what was happening was trying to use a spread offense but hold back the dogs. The result was that Crane was put in bad situations and made some bad decisions and as a result these mistakes were more costly (1st half yesterday and GT game).

3. They decided to open up the offense in the second half on Logan's urging. Crane has skills but is a first year starter. He's going to make mistakes. By opening up the offense they increased the liklihood of error but also increased the liklihood of big plays. I say let Crane do his thing and hope he learns to minimize the errors.

4. This defense is fantastic. Toal seems to be finding his groove, this is the most athletic secondary this team has had in a while, and Brace/Raji are just a force. There is room for error on offense with this group, so the O can take chances.

BC is fortunate the schedule is backloaded. If the defense can avoid injury and Crane settles down, this team can absolutely challenge for the ACC title.

Moose ... perfect win for the Hen huh? Beating a team with a bloated resume so that the fanbase gets pissed when there are 3 or 4 WTF games.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 21 September 2008 - 10:00 AM.

#76 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

I read that Jags used Davis some too in the first half but that he also didn't really do much. How much was Davis on the field for?

Also saw that Albright done for the season (little late but information takes a while to travel to me right now). That really sucks but the rest of the front 7 hopefully should be able to pick it up.

#77 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

I read that Jags used Davis some too in the first half but that he also didn't really do much. How much was Davis on the field for?

Used him for a couple series of the first half. First one was effective, threw a few good passes, ran the option a bit and seemed to do ok. Next series, badly underthrew his receivers. Jags was quoted as saying he would be a bad coach if the first time Davis saw the field was next year.

#78 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Used him for a couple series of the first half. First one was effective, threw a few good passes, ran the option a bit and seemed to do ok. Next series, badly underthrew his receivers. Jags was quoted as saying he would be a bad coach if the first time Davis saw the field was next year.

Davis came in after Crane led the offence to a 3 and out on the first series, they alternated series in the first half, with Davis moving the ball but like someone had told me a couple weeks ago, he throws a weak ball, not much zip while Crane does the opposite

our D is sick, I wonder what suprises they are going to have with ToBie and his sidekick Deepsea Dana in a couple weeks

the 1st half was so boring that Amos Alonzo Stagg was turning over in his grave...

back on the QB shuffle, I think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we hadn't scored right off the bat in th 2nd half, Crane moved the ball so Jags kept him in there

I know it's only 3 games in his career, but while Quigley had boomed the punts the first 2, he had the freshman shanks yesterday

bring on the URI 'jewfffs'

#79 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Will Blackmon is turning into quite the NFL player. He just took the ball from Marion Barber. Won't be many people doing that this year.

#80 4 6 3 DP

• 1267 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

Tough day to throw but QBing is regressing if anything. Offense could not move the ball until they quit throwing and handed off basically every play.

Not even sure a change is the way to go - Davis looks like a guy who was basically a late recruiting add (which he was) - but if he can't get on the field this year, I have trouble seeing him as next years starter. He should be able to beat Crane out. I hear Crane is fine at practice but he pukes all over himself in the games, there isn't an ACC game we can be comfortable in with either of them behind center.

#81 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

days like today are why god invented nike storm-fit rain pants and polo golf gore-tex rain jackets

it was fucking awful weather wise, but the upset of the day was that there wee probally around 25k in the stands, at least in the first half

once again Crane just can't move the team, they seemed to pick it up a couple steps when Davis came in, but again, you have to consider the competition. Sorry Jewf but from up in SS URI looked like a high school team,

lots of PT for the RSF and true frosh as well

I have no idea what Jags was thinking when he had Hayden out there, bad wheel and all, for the first series of downs, thank god they pulled him and ran the Harris/Jet Smith rotation the rest of the way

and since I'm sure that you didn't see it, URI pulled out all the trick plays, like the pooch onside kick on the opening kick of the 2nd half. The URI guy caught it on the fly. great call

Bring on TOBie and Nemo next week!

#82 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

3 passes completed 4 interceptions, ugh

I wonder when was the last time a div 1a team did that?

The running game looks pretty good. The line looks like it is getting it. The defense is awesome. Who knows if the WRs can play. The QBs (both of them) are just awful

#83 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11359 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

Add Matt Ryan to this BC team and we'd be a legit top 10 team. The running game is really starting to show some improvement and the defense is downright nasty so far. The whole "you can't teach talent" saying is certainly true. You could have Bill Belichick coaching Chris Crane 24/7 and you'd still only see moderate improvements. BC is probably going to be a 7-5 team this year and everyone will assume that we just weren't that good, which is unfortunate. An average QB gets this team to 9-10 wins easy. The whole Crane vs. Davis debate is pointless. They're both sub-par.

#84 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9963 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Sorry Jewf but from up in SS URI looked like a high school team,

I'm not going to argue. URI has one of the youngest teams in 1-AA, has a new coach with a new system, and wasn't any good anyway.

URI is 2 years from doing anything in the CAA. BC should make them look like a high school team.

#85 berniecarbo1

• 1050 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

Is it me or is this version of BC football about as exciting as watching paint dry on a summer afternoon? Yes, the D is terrific and will most likely determine how far this team goes this year but for some reason I can't get charged up about this team. They will probably win tomorrow when they face the Hen and Captain Nemo but realistically where will they end up..7-5, 6-6?? The QB position is lame and if you set up an 8 man front, Crane either can't or won't challenge it. A good D coordinator is setting up stunt run defenses and will shut the O down. I don't know what they have for QB's either on the active roster or on verbal commitiments but without a QB that can run AND throw, the offensive scheme is very easily defended. The current crop of QB's are very average, at least at this pint of their development. Look for the balance of the season being much like the GA Tech game, which translates to about a .500 campain from here on out. We were promised that "we're gonna win, and look good doing it"...Yea, they win but who have they beat and when they play a real team,no they don't look good doing it..at least not this year.

#86 4 6 3 DP

• 1267 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

We were promised that, yes, by Jagodzinski.

Look what the Hen left at QB and RB - Crane is the only QB on the roster recruited by TOB, although they did let Ross Applegate go (I believe he's playing intramurals at Alabama), at RB there was AJ Brooks, McCluskey, and Jeff Smith.

BC probably has the best offensive coordinator in the conference, one who took Matt Ryan from a guy platooning with Quinton Porter to the #3 overall pick last season, who developed Jeff Blake and David Garrard into NFL QB's, he can't do anything with what he has been given. Crane, a good physical specimen who seems to vomit on himself in games, and Davis, who was a late add right before signing day in Jags' first class who really hasn't shown much either.

The best case scenario right now is that 2008 recruit Tuggle redshirts this year and can start next year.

They're 4-0 if Crane isn't an embarrassment against GT. I think they're getting as much out of what they have been left. Jags needs to fill the roster with legitimate skill position talent, and we'll see in a couple years if he can do it. If not, yes, then his words were just talk.

I'll take that over what we had.

#87 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

So just goign by the Play-by-Play charts Chris Crane looks like he...isn't sucking. Can anyone with eyes actually confirm this? Looks like lots of work so far for Gunnell and BRob. Surprised I haven't seen more of Purvis as he was Matty Ice's favorite target last year and is one of the top TEs in the ACC. Looks like the kickoffs still suck though (no distance, poor coverage).

I really, really hope they send Tobie back to his office with his tail between his legs.

Edit: Great, a kickoff return for a TD right after I post this.

Edited by kenneycb, 04 October 2008 - 12:01 PM.

#88 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

So just goign by the Play-by-Play charts Chris Crane looks like he...isn't sucking. Can anyone with eyes actually confirm this? Looks like lots of work so far for Gunnell and BRob. Surprised I haven't seen more of Purvis as he was Matty Ice's favorite target last year and is one of the top TEs in the ACC. Looks like the kickoffs still suck though (no distance, poor coverage).

I really, really hope they send Tobie back to his office with his tail between his legs.

Edit: Great, a kickoff return for a TD right after I post this.

Except for failing to put two hands on the ball during a scramble, Crane is playing a great game. His throws have zip and touch. Sure he's missed a couple of throws but overall if he plays like this we can expect quite a bit this year.

If not for the turnover by Megwa and the awful KO coverage, this game wouldn't even be close. If BC avoids mistakes in the 2nd half it shouldn't be a game. That's a big IF.

#89 4 6 3 DP

• 1267 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Crane has been much much better. As soon as I rip a guy on these boards it appears he becomes a solid QB. We need to put this a-hole away. He still squats by himself and picks grass with the best of them.

#90 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41528 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

That's a terrible decision. You clearly punt there, up by 7.

#91 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

That's a terrible decision. You clearly punt there, up by 7.

I don't hate that decision. D should be able to stop them from getting into the end zone from the 35 .... and they didn't,

#92 gtg807y

• 2493 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Didn't really look like he snuck it in. Count it, though. I've only seen a few minutes of this game, looks like Crane's having a day.

#93 axx

• 4890 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, I know, but having the ball at the one is better. Run out the clock and kick a chip shot. Now NC State has a chance.

#94 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41528 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

I don't hate that decision. D should be able to stop them from getting into the end zone from the 35 .... and they didn't,

Yeah, they should, but if you're up by 7 with 3:30 left I think you have to try to pin them inside the 20. If it's 4th and 3 maybe, but 4th and 10?

Awesome drive by Crane there.

#95 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, they should, but if you're up by 7 with 3:30 left I think you have to try to pin them inside the 20. If it's 4th and 3 maybe, but 4th and 10?

Awesome drive by Crane there.

Fair enough. BTW ... the holding call was bogus all he did was grab the front of the shirt inside the pads which is allowed.

I am satisfied with this win. D had some brain farts and special teams kept NC St in the game in the first half but Crane was a monster. If this is BC's QB for the rest of the season then BC will be right in the thick of things. I think a road game was just what the doctor ordered for him. Now he can come back home with all of the confidence and no need to look over his shoulder.

Oh ... and we learned two other things about the future, Montel Harris is going to be a quality back for this team for a long time and Lars Anderson is going to be a good one.

One other thing ... this NC St. D is a good group and the OL made them look foolish. I think we're starting to see the emergence of the Jags/Logan scheme here.

#96 4 6 3 DP

• 1267 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

I loved going for it on 4th down. This was part of the gutless nature of the Hen a lot of us railed against for years. Though interestingly he and Nemo have opened it up in Raleigh.

But a fake punt? Going for the throat on fourth down late? I love it.

The problem with the fourth down call was throwing to a guy who wasn't across the first down marker, another mark of the Hen years.

Jags is a real honest guy - in that postgame saying "this is what we thought we had, but it took him a while"- no coach-speak, just straight forward. I like it.

Lastly, this was the best game Steve Logan has called since he was at BC. I mean, he was completely on with just about every call all day. He earned his money today bigtime.

Edited by 4 6 3 DP, 04 October 2008 - 03:13 PM.

#97 kenneycb

• 7189 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Wow. I did not expect to check back and see that Chris Crane led a GW drive with 3:33 left in the game. Nice game by him. Hopefully he's starting to live up to the 2nd day Draft potential that I read all about in the preseason. I'm happy that he didn't leave it up to the foot of Apon. That would've been bad.

Just looking stats-wise, Gunnell had himself a game. IMO he's really separated himself from the other since the second half of last year when he became Matty's second favorite target.

Looks like NC St dominated KOs. Not a good sign especially with some good ones in the ACC (I can only think of Clemson but I'm pretty sure there are others). Don't like that the D gave up so many points but it's hard to tell how they played when you don't see the game.

I like the fact that there are two promising Lars Anderson prospects in Boston.

#98 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

whew just watched the tape, was on the golf course yesterday

1st half was classic Tobie/Nemo ball I wonder if Wilson was calling his own umber more in the second half as a way of getting out from Nemo's classsic, 2 and 9 off tackle call

nice to see we did learn to kick it away from #6

Crane was solid, few of the extra zip and overthrows that we've seen in other games
we may have a thunder lighting tandem in Hayden & Harris

I'm going to say something I dont think I ever have, the Zebras had a good game, other then that questionable holding call, every other callwa backed up by replay

Week off cant hurt, get healthy then the strech run

#99 doldmoose34

• 2876 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

VT game 8pm, at TV ESPN or the duce

#100 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

VT game 8pm, at TV ESPN or the duce

Moose, you goin to the game? Looks like a perfect day if the weather cooperates. Sox are supposed to play at 4:30 so the misses and I could either tailgate or head to a local establishment to watch the game and then head to Alumni. I would suspect a tailgate or 2 would have the game one.