Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

So... who backs up Cash tonight?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,418 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

I figured it might be Drew or Youks, but according to Extra Bases:

Had Beckett not come down with the stiff neck, the roster move would have been made for a catcher, which still might happen tomorrow (with the Sox sending Pauley back down to Triple A). But with the two players who have offered to be the emergency catcher both on the disabled list (Alex Cora and Lowell), Francona was in a bind.

Guess who offered?

That's right. Dustin Pedroia.

So, in a pinch, the second baseman will be heading behind the plate.

Not that I don't trust Dustin and his Napoleonic Nads, but I'm praying we don't see him waiting on a relay throw as Vlady or Gary Matthews Jr. are barrel-assing down the 3rd base line with a head of steam.

Edited by mabrowndog, 22 April 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#2 tailwind

• too poor to be SoSH Member

• 2,102 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Not that I don't trust Dustin and his Napoleonic Nads, but I'm praying we don't see him waiting on a relay throw as Vlady or Gary Mathews Jr. are barrel-assing down the 3rd base line with a head of steam.

You know, I'd actually love to see that, because if he survives, the celebration, shit-talking, and postgame commentary would be worth it.

#3 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,160 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

Not that I don't trust Dustin and his Napoleonic Nads, but I'm praying we don't see him waiting on a relay throw as Vlady or Gary Mathews Jr. are barrel-assing down the 3rd base line with a head of steam.

I'd welcome the "F' Yeah!" after every strike thrown to him.

#4 mabrowndog

• 38,418 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

On the other hand, the positional flexibility would do wonders for his fantasy value. Similar to the Mets sticking Roger Cedeno and his 66 steals at 2B for one game back in '99.

#5 Razor Shines

• 3,486 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

I would have figured it to be Lowrie. With his SS arm, he might be able to keep runners somewhat honest.

Either way, it wouldn't be pretty. They might be better off just sticking Varitek and his 104 degree fever behind the plate.

#6 mabrowndog

• 38,418 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image

#7 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,581 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

On a serious note, with the Angels being a somewhat running team if Pedroia does in fact get to play ctacher we might see a situation similar to the Yankee game where every base was being stolen without a throw. Yes, I know that Posada simply could not throw at all, but would there be any confidence in Pedroia´s arm should the need to throw a runner out arise?

BTW I think that in no way shape or form will Tito PH for Cash. This is something we have seen Torre do (one game he actually made Josh Phelps play catcher which is a position he had played before but not for about 3 years).

#8 mabrowndog

• 38,418 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

On the other hand, the positional flexibility would do wonders for his fantasy value. Similar to the Mets sticking Roger Cedeno and his 66 steals at 2B for one game back in '99.

In an ironic follow-up to this, Albert Pujols was forced to play 2nd base this afternoon for the first time in his career.

#9 Redkluzu

• tortures mice

• 1,631 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Not that I don't trust Dustin and his Napoleonic Nads, but I'm praying we don't see him waiting on a relay throw as Vlady or Gary Matthews Jr. are barrel-assing down the 3rd base line with a head of steam.

Amalie Benjamin was just on NESN with this info too and she cracked me up, said something like Dustin might be able to catch the ball although he hadn't caught since high school -

#10 Kevin Youkulele

• wishes Claude Makelele was a Red Sox

• 1,672 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

Was there anything on the postgame about a roster move? Pauley has no need to be on the roster, and if Tek's situation is not improving, they should probably call up Brown or Kottaras until he's better.

#11 Ryo Sen

• 438 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Was there anything on the postgame about a roster move? Pauley has no need to be on the roster, and if Tek's situation is not improving, they should probably call up Brown or Kottaras until he's better.

Tito said they'd make a move tomorrow after re-evaluating, and implied that he wanted to see how Tek was first.

#12 DavidWellsAteNelson

• 536 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

I'd really like to see Kottaras called up if Tek takes a few days. He's got to be better than Cash.

He's hitting .254 so far in Pawtucket, but with a .900 OPS, and he's batting .367 away from McCoy stadium. ...Or maybe the youth movement is infecting my brain.

#13 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8,601 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:41 AM

I'd really like to see Kottaras called up if Tek takes a few days. He's got to be better than Cash.

He's hitting .254 so far in Pawtucket, but with a .900 OPS, and he's batting .367 away from McCoy stadium. ...Or maybe the youth movement is infecting my brain.

Even if Varitek is out a few more days, Kottaras won't be coming up. He'll only join the team if Varitek's going to be out for a significant period of time.

Honestly, there's a better chance that, if Varitek's going to miss another day or two, Dusty Brown'll be brought up over Kottaras.

#14 Razor Shines

• 3,486 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

WEEI is reporting that Dusty Brown is indeed expected to be called up for tonight's game.

Can't find a link yet.