Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Bryan Corey to be DFA'd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

Bryan Corey will be designated for assignment prior to tonightís game to create a spot on the active roster for Mike Timlin [stats]ís activation from the disabled list.

Source: http://bostonherald....e...&position=2

#2 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Bullpen
Papelbon; Okajima; Delcarmen; Timlin; Tavarez; Aardsma; Lopez

AAA Bullpen Possibilities?
RHP Craig Hansen
LHP Abe Alvarez
RHP Lee Gronkiewicz
RHP Dan Kolb
RHP Lincoln Holdzkom
LHP Jon Switzer
RHP Edgar Martinez

Other Possibilities--Extended Spring Training?
RHP Eric Hull
RHP Matt Miller
RHP Terumasa Matsuo
RHP Bryce Cox

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 11 April 2008 - 02:02 PM.

#3 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5162 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

Hansen has pitched pretty well in PAW. I know it's early, but I'm also intrigued by this line from Dan Bard, who apparently has been shifted to the pen in Greenville:

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
GRE SAL 0 0 0.00 3 0 0 0 0 5.0 4 0 0 0 1 7 .235

With his 98 mph heat, he could move fast.

#4 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9958 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

Masterson, the answer is Justin Masterson:

YTD:
IP: 9.0
H: 5
ER: 0
BB: 0
SO: 10
GB/FB: 15/1

It wouldn't shock me to see him in Boston's pen this summer.

#5 LahoudOrBillyC

• Indian name is Massages Ellsbury

• 3855 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

Masterson, the answer is Justin Masterson:
It wouldn't shock me to see him in Boston's pen this summer.

I would prefer to see him on track for the rotation.

#6 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

I know it's early, but I'm also intrigued by this line from Dan Bard, who apparently has been shifted to the pen in Greenville:
Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
GRE SAL 0 0 0.00 3 0 0 0 0 5.0 4 0 0 0 1 7 .235

With his 98 mph heat, he could move fast.

Bard took well to a bullpen role in the Hawaii League in 2007, and was converted to a reliever in 2008. He reportedly changed his delivery to come over the top a bit more prior to the 2008 season, adding a little bit of life to his fastball.

http://www.soxprospe...bard-daniel.htm

I was surprised that the Sox "gave up on him" as a starter. Any reasons for this move?

#7 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

http://www.soxprospe...bard-daniel.htm

I was surprised that the Sox "gave up on him" as a starter. Any reasons for this move?

He was absolutely dreadful, almost to the point of being a poor man's (or rich man's depending on how you look at it) Jason Neighborgal. He couldn't throw the ball over the plate and his blazing fastball was being crushed by hitters.

#8 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1934 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Any reasons for this move?

Hazen talked about how Bard's aggressive demeanor and approach and it fit well in the bullpen in Hawaii. This will also allow him to work on his power curveball.

Edited by TheGoldenGreek33, 11 April 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#9 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38303 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Corey re-signed with the Sox today, per Don Orsillo on tonight's broadcast. Assigned to Pawtucket.

#10 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22487 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Corey re-signed with the Sox today, per Don Orsillo on tonight's broadcast. Assigned to Pawtucket.

I guess you can go home again.

Surprising that no one else wanted him for nothing, not even needing to put him on a 40 man roster.

#11 Green Monster

• 1547 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

After todayís game, the Red Sox optioned pitcher Justin Masterson back to Double-A Portland.

The Sox will purchase the contract of Bryan Corey from Triple-A Pawtucket to replace Masterson on the active roster, effective tomorrow.

So if the Sox need to continue the minor league shuffle to get them through the flu, and Corey needs to be sent back to AAA, does he need to be put on waivers again???

#12 Bowlerman9

• bitchslapped by Keith Law

• 5032 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

So if the Sox need to continue the minor league shuffle to get them through the flu, and Corey needs to be sent back to AAA, does he need to be put on waivers again???

Yes

#13 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:30 PM

After todayís game, the Red Sox optioned pitcher Justin Masterson back to Double-A Portland.

The Sox will purchase the contract of Bryan Corey from Triple-A Pawtucket to replace Masterson on the active roster, effective tomorrow.

Am I missing something here? Corey was DFA'ed, and nobody else in MLB wanted him afterward, even for free. Yet now he is getting another shot with a first place club? Is he really a better choice than anyone else available in the minors who isn't caught in the 10 day optioning limbo (i.e. Hansen)? Or are they just bringing him up because they'd rather that Corey risk getting the flu instead of someone else? ;)

#14 tailwind

• too poor to be SoSH Member

• 2102 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

Am I missing something here? Corey was DFA'ed, and nobody else in MLB wanted him afterward, even for free. Yet now he is getting another shot with a first place club? Is he really a better choice than anyone else available in the minors who isn't caught in the 10 day optioning limbo (i.e. Hansen)? Or are they just bringing him up because they'd rather that Corey risk getting the flu instead of someone else? ;)

Past Hansen with his restriction, who would you yank out of Pawtucket instead of Corey? Snyder and Kolb are worse than him. Gronk may deserve a chance, but being a lefty, if he ever does get a shot, it'll be as a replacement for Lopez. Switzer can't pitch to righties. You don't want to leave the spot to a valued prospect that still needs development, either.

If Corey does better than the he did the first time around (he couldn't be a whole lot worse,) he may provide a little stability in a pretty stretched and tired bullpen, that's more than you'd get from the rest of those guys.

Edited by tailwind, 25 April 2008 - 03:50 AM.