Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Yam Bag's team A.D.--After Donovan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1202 replies to this topic

#1101 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 12817 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

I completely agree Yammer. Andy Reid is likely the consensus #2 coach in the NFL, although some might argue Tomlin. If it weren't for Reid's clock management and a few draft busts here and there, he might give BB a run for his money. I assume you watch games and just passively assume that Reid is going to make punt/FG/go-for-it decisions correctly, game plan well, and so on, right?

The Vick and McNabb thing was a masterstroke, although I don't know much of that was Reid vs his boss vs general luck/fate.

#1102 cgori

• 1430 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

I mentioned it like 20 pages ago in this thread, but having a lot of these guys on my fantasy team(s) has made me watch a lot of the Eagles games this year. They're really fun to watch, and are comfortably my #2 team now behind the Pats (yea bandwagon, whatever).

The offense is just breathtaking at times (hello Vick to Jackson!) and the D has definitely gotten better (they were raving about the young CB play on the broadcast last night and you can really see it).

#1103 Oil Can Dan

• 4800 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Yeah. This has Jerome McDougal written all over it.

If it weren't for the fact that Parker is playing great, we have caught fire with Dixon and Laws and Trent Cole keeps getting better with each season I would be incredibly bummed out. I am just "bummed out" right now.

This offseason is going to be important. We need to get some LBs and we probably need a CB, and of course we need to reload on OL......but it really feels like we are getting close to having something really cool.

Do you really think CB is an area of need? Patterson has exceeded my wildest expectations so far. I feel really comfortable with him as the 2nd CB when Asante's in there. Yeah, they need a nickel and overall depth, but at this point CB is well below OL, DE and LB on the wish list.

And you mentioned Dixon - I can't really explain it but man he may be my favorite story of the 2010 Eagles. Maybe because it's like found money or something, I don't know...I'm just a big, big fan.

I think this defense can grow in to something special. They're not there yet, and to your point a page or so back they really need Asante on the field, but I admit that I'm ascared of watching them vs say Drew Brees. I don't know if they're blitzing less because Asante's not there or what, but without being able to generate a pass rush with the front four this defense is mediocre vs the pass. They've really done well vs the run, though. My how times have changed...

#1104 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 13019 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

I completely agree Yammer. Andy Reid is likely the consensus #2 coach in the NFL, although some might argue Tomlin.

That's really my only quibble; it's kind of hard to say that he's very under-appreciated, since as you note he's pretty much the consensus #2 coach in the league.

But he is a really, really good coach.

#1105 RFDA2000

• 208 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

That's really my only quibble; it's kind of hard to say that he's very under-appreciated, since as you note he's pretty much the consensus #2 coach in the league.

But he is a really, really good coach.

Except that there are the constant media boners for guys like Gruden and Cowher who aren't in the league, and lots of talk about Shanahan saving the 'skins before the season. I'd rather have Reid than all of those guys, but he doesn't have the same "sexiness" to the media as some of the other "name" coaches it seems. It probably has a lot to do with not having a ring, and that's not the best way to value a coach, I'd say.

Yes, using sex appeal and Reid in the same sentence was intentional.

#1106 Jimy Hendrix

• 2587 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Except that there are the constant media boners for guys like Gruden and Cowher who aren't in the league, and lots of talk about Shanahan saving the 'skins before the season. I'd rather have Reid than all of those guys, but he doesn't have the same "sexiness" to the media as some of the other "name" coaches it seems. It probably has a lot to do with not having a ring, and that's not the best way to value a coach, I'd say.

Yes, using sex appeal and Reid in the same sentence was intentional.

In addition to the ring thing, I wonder how much of it has to do with the fact that his big weakness is well known and discussed (clock management), while his skills (with QBs, creating a championship contending offense out of McNabb, Westbrook and the flotsam bunch early last decade, drafting well, etc.) are somehow more subtle and less remarked upon.

#1107 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 13019 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

I'd guess it has more to do with those coaches being (potential) moving parts; the media likes to speculate about coaching changes, and they're unlikely to throw Reid's name out there in those situations. Discussing who's going to ride into town on a white horse and what the new guy brings to the table is always sexier than talking about a pairing that's been around for years.

#1108 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 24803 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

The Cowher comparison for Reid strikes me as a pretty good one. Cowher's record is 149-90-1 (.623 winning %); Reid's is 117-71-1 (.622). Cowher went 21-12 in the playoffs (.571); Reid is at 18-10 (.556).

Reid's taken some heat for never winning the Big One and losing in the NFCCG multiple times, but I remember that Cowher's reputation was pretty much the same for many years; he had a habit of losing playoff games at home, including four AFCCG in PGH (to SD in '94, to Denver in '98, to NE in '02, to NE in '05). Like Reid, Cowher never really had a huge poor stretch (he had a three year dip of 7-9, 6-10, and 9-7 seasons).

Cowher's reputation of course was hugely enhanced by winning a SB; no one today cares about the fluky nature of the win against Indy, or the horrible officiating in the SB against Seattle. They just know he won the Big One. Reid's reputation will be similarly enhanced from its already high position if he wins the SB as well; no one will remember his clock management issues or dropping NFCCGs, they'll just remember him, like Cowher, as a champ. He's a damn good coach; I'd rather have him over Tomlin or pretty much anyone else save Belichick.

#1109 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4607 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

The Cowher comparison for Reid strikes me as a pretty good one. Cowher's record is 149-90-1 (.623 winning %); Reid's is 117-71-1 (.622). Cowher went 21-12 in the playoffs (.571); Reid is at 18-10 (.556).

Reid's taken some heat for never winning the Big One and losing in the NFCCG multiple times, but I remember that Cowher's reputation was pretty much the same for many years; he had a habit of losing playoff games at home, including four AFCCG in PGH (to SD in '94, to Denver in '98, to NE in '02, to NE in '05). Like Reid, Cowher never really had a huge poor stretch (he had a three year dip of 7-9, 6-10, and 9-7 seasons).

Cowher's reputation of course was hugely enhanced by winning a SB; no one today cares about the fluky nature of the win against Indy, or the horrible officiating in the SB against Seattle. They just know he won the Big One. Reid's reputation will be similarly enhanced from its already high position if he wins the SB as well; no one will remember his clock management issues or dropping NFCCGs, they'll just remember him, like Cowher, as a champ. He's a damn good coach; I'd rather have him over Tomlin or pretty much anyone else save Belichick.

Good post SJH. I'll be the first to admit forgetting how questionable Cowher's coaching ability was.The media has the Clockwork Orange thing down. Jam it down your throat enough and you'll believe it's true.

#1110 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8031 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Andy Reid has also done a really good job over the years in personnel decisions, which is not easy to do. Compare him in that respect to guys like Holmgren or Shanahan.

I'm not sure Mike Tomlin is anything special as a coach. The Steelers have a stellar front office and the best defensive coordinator in football. Lebeau seems to really manage that side of the team, which happens to be the side that makes them elite, and Tomlin is a defensive guy so I don't how much input he has on the offensive side of the ball either. His role seems to consist of running a smooth operation in the locker room, making a handful of on-field decisions every Sunday, and looking cool in press conferences. He does a great job of that but he's not exactly doing what Andy Reid is doing.

#1111 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9642 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

AdamSchefter

To help replace injured first-round pick Brandon Graham, the Eagles will sign former Patriots LB Derrick Burgess today.

#1112 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Another Eagle recycled.

I will say this for Andy, guys who leave seem pretty cool about coming back.

#1113 Dehere

• 2342 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Andy Reid is a hell of a coach, but I think the current holders of the Lombardi trophy might have something to say about who is the second-best coach in the league.

#1114 Chemistry Schmemistry

• has been programmed to get funky/cry human tears

• 7386 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

One of those odd and stupid facts that no one should care about: the Eagles are the only team in the NFL that can either exceed its 2009 record or fall short (9-4 through week 13, 11-5 last year). This season has seen more change than any I can remember. The Pats are the only 2009 division-winner currently leading their division, and four of the eight from last year are already eliminated from the playoffs.

#1115 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Do you really think CB is an area of need? Patterson has exceeded my wildest expectations so far. I feel really comfortable with him as the 2nd CB when Asante's in there. Yeah, they need a nickel and overall depth, but at this point CB is well below OL, DE and LB on the wish list.

And you mentioned Dixon - I can't really explain it but man he may be my favorite story of the 2010 Eagles. Maybe because it's like found money or something, I don't know...I'm just a big, big fan.

I think this defense can grow in to something special. They're not there yet, and to your point a page or so back they really need Asante on the field, but I admit that I'm ascared of watching them vs say Drew Brees. I don't know if they're blitzing less because Asante's not there or what, but without being able to generate a pass rush with the front four this defense is mediocre vs the pass. They've really done well vs the run, though. My how times have changed...

Yeah, I still feel like we need to upgrade the secondary. Lindley may be the guy though, I like what I see from him. I think this comes from being spoiled by Vincent/Taylor, Sheppard/Brown secondaries my desire for another stud corner, and the fear that Asante may lose a step soon.

But yeah, LB is the key need quickly followed by OL. As far as DE, I am sick of them drafting first round DEs. Maybe the next guy will be the one, but this is feeling a lot like our quest for a WR in the draft until DeSean and Maclin.

This weekend's game is gigunderonous. I am pretty excited.

#1116 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5537 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

This weekend's game is gigunderonous. I am pretty excited.

Ready for a whippin'? I'm disappointed about losing Steve Smith for the year. Manning has to play well. The Giant's current losing streak to the Eagles is the longest since the 12 game losing they had during my prime years as a youthful Giant's fan. Those weren't the good old days.

If you want to up the bet by $25 it'll make it $50 on the game with me already owing you $25 plus the other $25 on whether Manning or Vick has a higher passer rating Sunday. That'll give you the chance to be up $100 which is 1/4 of the price of a Winston Boron IIX fly rod. It's a discontinued model that was $705 last year. Picking one up for $400 is a steal but having the chance to get me to chip in would be even better for you. IMO it's one of the top 3 rods on the market and is only being discontinued because of slight upgrades to a newer model to try to get past the Orvis Helios rod. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, the Giants are going to take care of business at home on Sunday.

#1117 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:26 AM

Ready for a whippin'? I'm disappointed about losing Steve Smith for the year. Manning has to play well. The Giant's current losing streak to the Eagles is the longest since the 12 game losing they had during my prime years as a youthful Giant's fan. Those weren't the good old days.

If you want to up the bet by $25 it'll make it $50 on the game with me already owing you $25 plus the other $25 on whether Manning or Vick has a higher passer rating Sunday. That'll give you the chance to be up $100 which is 1/4 of the price of a Winston Boron IIX fly rod. It's a discontinued model that was $705 last year. Picking one up for $400 is a steal but having the chance to get me to chip in would be even better for you. IMO it's one of the top 3 rods on the market and is only being discontinued because of slight upgrades to a newer model to try to get past the Orvis Helios rod. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, the Giants are going to take care of business at home on Sunday.

Sounds like a plan, I accept the bet. I am going to be doing a lot of business in Utah over the next year or so, so I figure it is finally time to learn how to fly fish.

We have alot of injuries to starting players right now. So from that angle, it is a good time to get us.

On the flip, we are coming off a nationally televised win over the Cowboys on the road and we are pretty pumped up. So from that aspect it is a terrible time to get us.

We'll see how things go. I think whoever loses still has a decent shot at the playoffs (although watch out for Tampa) but it is still a very high stakes match up.

#1118 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5537 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Thought you'd like to see this if you missed it.

The only way to make sense of it is to think that the NFL just can't upstage the NBA when it comes to absurdity, so Gilbert Arenas to the Orlando Magic just had to happen. It can't be a coincidence that this long-rumored move became official the day after Michael Vick stole the spotlight from the Lakers' visit to the 76ers by entering the arena to a standing ovation during the third quarter.

Link

#1119 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4607 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

aaaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Posted Image

#1120 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10574 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

Sounds like a plan, I accept the bet. I am going to be doing a lot of business in Utah over the next year or so, so I figure it is finally time to learn how to fly fish.

We have alot of injuries to starting players right now. So from that angle, it is a good time to get us.

On the flip, we are coming off a nationally televised win over the Cowboys on the road and we are pretty pumped up. So from that aspect it is a terrible time to get us.

We'll see how things go. I think whoever loses still has a decent shot at the playoffs (although watch out for Tampa) but it is still a very high stakes match up.

I assume you will be in SLC for your business travels which means you are roughly 500 miles from where we (Montana and I) are. If you are interested in fly fishing I can't think of a better teacher than Montana. If you make it up this way, count me in.

#1121 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5537 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

I assume you will be in SLC for your business travels which means you are roughly 500 miles from where we (Montana and I) are. If you are interested in fly fishing I can't think of a better teacher than Montana. If you make it up this way, count me in.

Hell, we can meet him halfway on the S. Fork of the Snake or the Henry's Fork. This thread is finally getting good...though it should be even better in about 4 hours.

#1122 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10574 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hell, we can meet him halfway on the S. Fork of the Snake or the Henry's Fork. This thread is finally getting good...though it should be even better in about 4 hours.

I am versatile.

#1123 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21057 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

Might as well give Yammer his money now on the QB rating bet.

#1124 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5537 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

OMFG. I'm fucking Charlie Brown and you're Lucy. Mudder fucker!

#1125 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5537 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

4 TD's in 7:28. Is it fucking 1978 again? Am I 14? Cheeeerist!

#1126 LondonSox

• 4312 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Wow Just wow being a giants fan must suck right now.
I think the Vick as qb as it throw first, second and third run last does take something away.
I think the secondary for Philly is a huge issue still. But seriously this team offensively when in rhythm is terrifying. Lock up desean already this team bar the Kline is set for years.
The Allen injury looked bad too which is a real shame I've liked what we've seen from him.

#1127 abty

• PipPip
  • 2149 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

Worst ever. You have no idea. 2 games we handed them this year. One ends on an Eli belly flop when trying to tie it late in the game and then this shit. Well, the Eagles deserved it though. They aren't bitches like my team. Enjoy it and, like us in 2007, do something with it. Otherwise, it won't mean jack shit.

#1128 Oil Can Dan

• 4800 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Just got back from the game, and I still don't believe what I saw. Wow.

#1129 octoberaroma

• 303 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

That was the best game I've watched this year. Vick was phenomenal.

#1130 Worst Trade Evah

• SoSH Member

• 10833 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Jackson is a great return guy but that was a pretty d-bag maneuver at the end. Lol@giants

#1131 Jimy Hendrix

• 2587 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Jackson is a great return guy but that was a pretty d-bag maneuver at the end. Lol@giants

I've only seen the highlights, not full Eagles games, but it looks to me like Jackson's habit of starting his celebrations at the 1 is the sort of thing that could bite him and the Eagles in the ass at some point.

He does seem to be looking around for guys as he's doing it, so at least he's not stupid about being stupid, but is it really that much trouble to save the celebration for once the points are on the board?

I'm probably overreacting to a few highlights, but I feel like if I was an Eagles fan that would make me super paranoid.

#1132 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9182 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

I've only seen the highlights, not full Eagles games, but it looks to me like Jackson's habit of starting his celebrations at the 1 is the sort of thing that could bite him and the Eagles in the ass at some point.

He does seem to be looking around for guys as he's doing it, so at least he's not stupid about being stupid, but is it really that much trouble to save the celebration for once the points are on the board?

I'm probably overreacting to a few highlights, but I feel like if I was an Eagles fan that would make me super paranoid.

What, like this?
http://video.google....78509140128247#

Or, like this?

#1133 Zombie Wakefield

• 75 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

What did he do that was so d-bag? I only remember him stopping just short of the endzone and running parallel to the line for a few seconds before running in. I thought he was just making sure that the game clock ticked down to zero so that the Giants wouldn't get the ball back and that it was just smart football. Did I miss something on that play?

#1134 CSteinhardt

• "Steiny"

• 1612 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

I'm an Eagles fan, and I'm worried about it, since he's cost us points before. I will say that in this case, I wasn't so sure it was a celebration rather than trying to make sure the clock hit zero before he went in. Last week? Definitely a celebration.

Although I also have to say that I don't think last week actually justified a 15-yard penalty for celebration. Unsportsmanlike conduct? Sure, I can see that. But the explanation was "going to the ground in celebration". He didn't. He started to go to the ground before he scored. By the time the ball crossed the plane, he no longer had any choice about whether he would end up on the ground. And, you *are* allowed to dive into the end zone. So I don't see a "going to the ground in celebration" penalty. Am I missing something here? Doesn't mean he's not being a bitch, doesn't mean I'd whine if they flagged him for taunting instead, just talking about the way it was called on the field.

I do have to say though, it's one thing to consider the arrogance involved in somebody like Ochocinco pre-planning touchdown celebrations, but Jackson takes it to yet another level -- he pre-plans celebrations for what he's going to do when he's blown by everybody and has extra time BEFORE scoring.

#1135 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 12817 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

What did he do that was so d-bag? I only remember him stopping just short of the endzone and running parallel to the line for a few seconds before running in. I thought he was just making sure that the game clock ticked down to zero so that the Giants wouldn't get the ball back and that it was just smart football. Did I miss something on that play?

This was my initial interpretation, and what you'd assume for most smart NFL players, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Basically, you'd assume he was being smart like the Westbrook "kneel on the 1 yard line" thing, absent proof otherwise, right?

An obsessive Eagles fan (and ESPN employee) then told me at dinner last night that if you watch the postgame press conference, Jackson comes and actually admits he was just screwing with the Giants, that it was all for fun, that he wasn't watching the clock. A real facepalm moment. I haven't verified it by watching the press conference but it sounds plausible.

#1136 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6419 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

Desean is not savvy enough to do something like that strategically. He is fast though. Really, really fast.

#1137 Dgilpin

• 3350 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

Plus when you watch the replay the clock was at zero when he hit the five yard line.

#1138 JerBear

• 761 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Plus when you watch the replay the clock was at zero when he hit the five yard line.

It hit zero at the 25 yard line.

#1139 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16158 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

Why are all color guys idiots? Merill Reese is describing the play of the season and all I hear is Mike Quick yelling over him. STFU dude.

#1140 sass a thon

• 2110 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Worst ever. You have no idea. 2 games we handed them this year. One ends on an Eli belly flop when trying to tie it late in the game and then this shit. Well, the Eagles deserved it though. They aren't bitches like my team. Enjoy it and, like us in 2007, do something with it. Otherwise, it won't mean jack shit.

I don't know, dude. I think this game will always mean something. Whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

#1141 Oil Can Dan

• 4800 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

This was my initial interpretation, and what you'd assume for most smart NFL players, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Basically, you'd assume he was being smart like the Westbrook "kneel on the 1 yard line" thing, absent proof otherwise, right?

An obsessive Eagles fan (and ESPN employee) then told me at dinner last night that if you watch the postgame press conference, Jackson comes and actually admits he was just screwing with the Giants, that it was all for fun, that he wasn't watching the clock. A real facepalm moment. I haven't verified it by watching the press conference but it sounds plausible.

Not exactly. Here's the transcript of what was asked/said:

Q: Why did you stroll along the goal line at the end of the game?
A: I try to always do something out of the ordinary. I probably wouldíve dove in from the 12-yard line if I could. I donít know, I knew there was 14 seconds left in the game and I didnít know if there was time still left on the clock so I just wanted to run along the goal line and I knew nobody was going to catch me. Like I said, I like to do some things for excitement. Thatís what the fans and all the crowd pay for, so I like to bring that out.

Regardless, I don't like him screwing around even if there were good intentions. Who knows what could happen between the time he could have scored and actually did score? I'm from the John Riggins/Barry Sanders school, which is to say you act like you've been there before. But, that's not how he (and most of todays players) roll.

I was in the bowels of the Meadowlands Stadium after the game and almost got run over by a golf cart that was carrying DeSean and what looked to be some of his posse/family members. He was dressed in street clothes but holding up his #10 jersey off the side of the cart yelling 'EAGLES BABY - EAGLES BABY' over and over again. Never have I seen something like that there before...

Edited by Oil Can Dan, 20 December 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#1142 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Regardless, I don't like him screwing around even if there were good intentions. Who knows what could happen between the time he could have scored and actually did score? I'm from the John Riggins/Barry Sanders school, which is to say you act like you've been there before. But, that's not how he (and most of todays players) roll.

I was in the bowels of the Meadowlands Stadium after the game and almost got run over by a golf cart that was carrying DeSean and what looked to be some of his posse/family members. He was dressed in street clothes but holding up his #10 jersey off the side of the cart yelling 'EAGLES BABY - EAGLES BABY' over and over again. Never have I seen something like that there before...

I love this unabashedly.

Let me be clear; there are times for hot dogging and there are times for humility, but when you have just broken the backs of a hated division foe in their building (which describes the touchdowns this week AND last week) you have earned the right to do whatever you want in my eyes.

Lsat week in Dallas he made one of the most incredible plays I have ever seen. He was hurt - you could see him favoring his foot - and he exploded from a standing start for an incredible touchdown. The Eagles won by three.

And it would have been the most impressive Desean Jackson play of all time other than the "we're going to the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!" catch against Arizona......had it not been for this week. This week was unreal. It was an entire team playing to stop one thing....and he would not allow them to stop it (with some unreal help from Jason Avant). He was looking for the game clock as he ran parallel to the end zone, he was doing the right thing, and frankly he is so quick - not just fast, quick - I have no fear of anyone coming and snagging him when he runs free 12 inches from the goal line.

If he was doing this when the Eagles were losing, or when they were playing in Seattle with a 21 point lead I would agree; bush league. But in back to back games he has won the game for the Igs and he has let his emotions show. I don't see anything about what he does as being "all about him" as opposed to "all about the team." He loves his QB, he loves his line, he loves the blocks he gets from Maclin and he does his best to block for Maclin when it is his turn.

Maybe I will change my tune some day, but I am missing why people get up in arms about DeSean Jackson. He is a guy with a 3-4 year window because of his size and speed, enjoy it while you can. I am.

#1143 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5537 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

Maybe I will change my tune some day, but I am missing why people get up in arms about DeSean Jackson. He is a guy with a 3-4 year window because of his size and speed, enjoy it while you can. I am.

I felt the same way even as I cried my eyes out and officially became a Patriots fan. My brother hates Jackson's guts but I view him as I did Deion or even Ali. He was showboating at the right time, after an incredible play and an incredible comeback. The speed of Jackson and Vick is unbelievable.

A devastating loss but to hear the Giants talk they'll come back next week. We'll see how much heart they have over the next 2-3 weeks.

Send me a message with your address. I got lucky with the QB rating thing but it's small consolation.

#1144 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:47 AM

I felt the same way even as I cried my eyes out and officially became a Patriots fan. My brother hates Jackson's guts but I view him as I did Deion or even Ali. He was showboating at the right time, after an incredible play and an incredible comeback. The speed of Jackson and Vick is unbelievable.

A devastating loss but to hear the Giants talk they'll come back next week. We'll see how much heart they have over the next 2-3 weeks.

Send me a message with your address. I got lucky with the QB rating thing but it's small consolation.

EXACTLY! Don't showboat when you tackle a guy after a 5 yard gain. Don't showboat when you have just scored a 4 yard touchdown to make the score 7-10 in the second quarter. Don't showboat when all you have done is "your job." But when you do something that people will talk about all day on Monday and probably for a few years later, you can showboat. You just put my emotional level through the ceiling, go ahead and express yours.

But for the record, I really don't think he was showboating when he ran across the line, I think he was trying to milk the clock. I just don't think he knew how much time was left.

The Giants will make the playoffs. They have the matchups and the talent to do it.

I am sick of hearing Tom Coughlin throw everyone but himself under the bus though. Be a man. Don't tell us how you told your special teams that they should watch for the onside kick, tell us how you screwed up by not sending out the hands team. Tell us how you didn't make the defensive adjustments quickly enough to stop the tsunami. Tell us how, even though your kicker made a bad kick the men you coached failed to tackle a guy who was dead to rights.

#1145 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8597 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

I am sick of hearing Tom Coughlin throw everyone but himself under the bus though. Be a man. Don't tell us how you told your special teams that they should watch for the onside kick, tell us how you screwed up by not sending out the hands team. Tell us how you didn't make the defensive adjustments quickly enough to stop the tsunami. Tell us how, even though your kicker made a bad kick the men you coached failed to tackle a guy who was dead to rights.

I love how he pretended to take responsibility before pointing the finger every which way but at himself. What's he trying to say-Dodge should have tried to kick it out of bounds even if he thought it was going to get blocked?

"Iíll take full responsibility for that last play. The punter, the young punter, was told to punt it out of bounds and he got a high snap and didnít feel like he could, and we all learned the hard way again,Ē said Coughlin. ďAt that point in the game with [Jackson] back there, you donít punt into that."

#1146 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:31 AM

I love how he pretended to take responsibility before pointing the finger every which way but at himself. What's he trying to say-Dodge should have tried to kick it out of bounds even if he thought it was going to get blocked?

"Iíll take full responsibility for that last play. The punter, the young punter, was told to punt it out of bounds and he got a high snap and didnít feel like he could, and we all learned the hard way again,Ē said Coughlin. ďAt that point in the game with [Jackson] back there, you donít punt into that."

Yeah, the snap was atrocious, he did a good job holding on to it. Didn't hear anything about that. The tackling was atrocious, didn't hear anything about that. Coughlin is a punk, he really is. He drew up one incredible game plan in his life and has done nothing else but blame everyone around him for his own mediocrity for the remainder of his career.

#1147 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11179 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Even worse was Coughlin's defense that he warned them to be wary of the on side kick. Well if that's the damn case, it's Coughlin's job to ORDER that the hands team be sent out there. The division is on the line; the HC cannot deflect this responsibility.

#1148 LondonSox

• 4312 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Remember when you go out there, watch out for the lion.
What the fuck? What am I supposed to do about a lion if it comes, can I have a gun?
No just get out there, but remember if the lion comes it's your fault, I warned you.

Rarrrrrrrrr

See I told him, they never listen.

#1149 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24803 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, the snap was atrocious, he did a good job holding on to it. Didn't hear anything about that. The tackling was atrocious, didn't hear anything about that. Coughlin is a punk, he really is. He drew up one incredible game plan in his life and has done nothing else but blame everyone around him for his own mediocrity for the remainder of his career.

It's seemingly very important to Coughlin to show everyone how angry he was and how "I told you to kick the ball out of bounds" by screaming at his rookie punter ON THE FIELD after the last play. I can't think of any other coach in the league that would do such a thing. The rookie punter fucked up, we all know it, hell Matt Dodge knows it. He panicked after receiving the high snap (this is a guy who's had trouble with snaps this year) and rushed his kick. Score was already tied at that point; Coughlin's actions are really nauseating to see in the wake of the game.

He's a bully, plain and simple.

#1150 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24803 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

Even worse was Coughlin's defense that he warned them to be wary of the on side kick. Well if that's the damn case, it's Coughlin's job to ORDER that the hands team be sent out there. The division is on the line; the HC cannot deflect this responsibility.

If he wanted them to be wary of the onside kick and told them so, why was the entire front line of the return team running backwards at the moment of the kick? I'm home sick today and thus Sportscenter's been on most of the morning at my house; they've showed the replay over and over and it's clear the return team wasn't expecting an onsides kick. They were lined up 15 yards from the ball fer crissakes.

Coughlin's lying. He didn't tell them to watch for it because their actions don't bear out those orders. Disgraceful to pass along the buck.