The only reason I see Boston being the team holding this deal up (assuming this is legit--and I am not questioning CET here, just seems too good to be true) is that they realize that they also have to deal Wells and then they have to hope Paps can last a full season and that Beckett and Schilling are healthy. Gambles I would take to get a guy like Milledge, but gambles nonetheless.
Maybe this is a big reason Theo wants to talk to Wells as mentioned in the Globe Article
, hopefully to convince him to stay here. If Theo can do that he likely pulls the trigger (assuming there is even a deal on the table).
It is plausible for all parties:Mets:
going all in since Pedro and Glavine ain't getting any younger. Vidro replaces Matsui to boost the offense. Bergmann is another piece in the long line of new bullpen arms. But Livan has to be the linchpin in this deal. No way Minaya gives up his top prospect unless it nets him a solid reliable piece for the 06 campaign (you would think). Plus, at the risk of profiling, Vidro and Hernandez fit a particular trend in Minaya's offseason pursuits.Nationals:
This team is in a holding pattern that could get ugly. The sale of the team has been delayed as MLB negotiates a stadium deal. They've got to stay competitive and have some appeal for that elusive buyer while at the same time pare payroll. Taking a declining Vidro off the books has to be appealing but replacing Livan with Clement is a head scratcher. Cora is probably a good throw-in because anything is an upgrade over Guzman and if the Nats trade Soriano at the deadline like they should, Cora could take over 2B. In the end though, they would have to be getting something more than just the freedom from Vidro's contract you would think.Boston:Pros:
Great prospect that fits within the philosophy of stacking the farm with talent, getting younger etc.
Decent 4th OF that can back up CF.
Potentially risky pitcher off the books, making room for Arroyo or Papelbon in rotation. Cons:
Thinning the rotation.
Question marks with Wells wanting to be traded.
Already have a very good CF in the minors and 4 years of a darn good CF in the bigs.
Already have a decent 4th OF in Mohr with good splits against lefties and is a much better defensive player than Nady.
The hesitation is justified in my book. Till the Wells thing is resolved at least. Obviously a very tempting deal if its out there.