Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Revisiting the 2000 World Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5149 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

If I were a Mets fan, the Mitchell report would have me steaming mad. Consider:

Game 1 of 2000 World Series: Yankees 4, Mets 3

- 2 Yankee RBIs from Dave Justice
- 1 RBI from Chuck Knoblauch
- Winning pitcher is Mike Stanton, with 2 scoreless innings
- Andy Pettitte pitches 6.2 innings and gives up 3 runs.

Game 2: Yankees 6, Mets 5

-Clemens pitches 8 shutout innings for win
-Dave Justice scores 1 run

Game 4: Yankees 3, Mets 2

-Mike Stanton pitches 2/3 of a inning, 0 runs, 2 Ks
-Denny Neagle gives up 2 runs in 5 innings, in start

Game 5: Yankees 4, Mets 2

-Andy Pettitte gives up 2 runs (0 earned) over 7 innings
-Stanton pitches 1 inning of scoreless relief

Edited by xjack, 13 December 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#2 boggartlaura

• 211 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

Meh. There are probably a bunch of Mets from that season that didn't get mentioned.

#3 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5149 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

Meh. There are probably a bunch of Mets from that season that didn't get mentioned.

If there is one team that should have been effectively investigated by Mitchell, it's the Mets. Radomsky was Mitchell's best source.

#4 Yankees

• 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:55 PM

- 1 RBI from Chuck Knoblauch
- Winning pitcher is Mike Stanton, with 2 scoreless innings
- Andy Pettitte pitches 6.2 innings and gives up 3 runs.

-Clemens pitches 8 shutout innings for win

Game 4: Yankees 3, Mets 2

-Mike Stanton pitches 2/3 of a inning, 0 runs, 2 Ks
-Denny Neagle gives up 2 runs in 5 innings, in start

Game 5: Yankees 4, Mets 2

-Stanton pitches 1 inning of scoreless relief

Yep, because I bet there wasn't at least one Met player on something during that series riiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Edited by Yankees, 13 December 2007 - 05:58 PM.

#5 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5149 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

Yep, because I bet there wasn't at least one Met player on something during that series riiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Actually, there was one, according to Mitchell.

Matt Franco.

He struck out in his only at-bat.

#6 Yankees

• 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

Actually, there was one, according to Mitchell.

Matt Franco.

He struck out in his only at-bat.

Key words here...

#7 PooNani

• 862 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

and herein lies the problem with this report

#8 xjack

• Futbol Crazed

• 5149 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

I don't believe any of it either. It's a gigantic conspiracy. Sort of like 9/11 and Big Foot. :c070:

#9 PooNani

• 862 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

almost as stupid as believing that the only steroid users in baseball are the ones named in this report.

i know the next response is: "where did i say that?". the implications of this thread are that the players involved in this report, are the only ones who played in that world series who cheated, and thats a load of horseshit.

If there is one team that should have been effectively investigated by Mitchell, it's the Mets. Radomsky was Mitchell's best source.

He was the clubhouse attendant until just 1995, and as you saw in the report, he was more likely to finger those outside the organization than within. There's reason to trust those accusations that are backed up by a paper trail, but whats keeping him from hiding names of those he are still close with? Keep in mind that the only evidence linking most of these players to performance enhancers is the word of a clubhouse attendant who rolled when faced with jail-time. If this were to take place in a real court, Radomsky and McNamee (along with the checks) would be absolutely torn apart on cross-examination

Just read this article, and now look how quickly he turned when his buddy was facing prison

http://sportsillustr...iner/index.html

this is from november of last year

Edited by PooNani, 13 December 2007 - 06:28 PM.

#10 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6418 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

Yikes. Interesting thread XJack. Tough day for Yankee fans. They took a big hit today.

#11 Yankees

• 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

I haven't read the unbiased report yet but doesn't it state that most of those players weren't using in 2000? (from what I have heard)

#12 Pandemonium67

• 3165 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

I think we can also blame steroids for Knoblauch's phantom tag. Made his arm look six feet long.

#13 dnramo

• 3669 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

PooNani, you realize that under the terms of these guys' deals if they lied to Mitchell they'd face more jail time than if they didn't talk with him at all? Lying to Mitchell would defeat the purpose of talking with him.

#14 PooNani

• 862 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

PooNani, you realize that under the terms of these guys' deals if they lied to Mitchell they'd face more jail time than if they didn't talk with him at all? Lying to Mitchell would defeat the purpose of talking with him.

http://yankees.lhblo...itchell-report/

Brian McNamee, a former trainer who worked with Clemens on the Toronto Blue Jays and the New York Yankees, has repeatedly denied these current claims, including in June of this year when he was first contacted by federal investigators. According to McNamee, after a day of repeated denials to federal investigators, he changed his story under the threat of federal criminal prosecution. He says he was then forced by those federal prosecutorial authorities to tell the same story for inclusion in the Mitchell report.

I am at a total loss to understand how it is proper for federal prosecutorial authorities to use the threat of criminal prosecution to help in a private business investigation, Hardin said.

Considering there is zero paper trail connecting Clemens/Pettitte to performance-enhancers, only the accusations of McNamee, i'm guessing we havent seen the end of this.

#15 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 3935 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

and herein lies the problem with this report

Just say what you mean, which is that the problem with this report is that there are too many championship era Yankees on the list, and that you suspect George Mitchell of pro-Boston bias. Seriously, that's what you are suggesting, there is no shame in admitting it.

#16 PooNani

• 862 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Just say what you mean, which is that the problem with this report is that there are too many championship era Yankees on the list, and that you suspect George Mitchell of pro-Boston bias. Seriously, that's what you are suggesting, there is no shame in admitting it.

Sorry, i'm not going to feed into the pissing and moaning about Yankee fans that i'm sure would be enjoyed today. The Yankees are in a bad place because the two people they got to talk have a New York connection and as a result there is a greater number of Yankees than any other team. That says nothing about the team, only the scant amount of evidence Mitchell was able to gather. If they had gotten turncoats from another baseball market, it would have been the same story there. It's acknowledged that it is a widespread problem, but if you want to pretend that the Yankees are the biggest villains in baseball's steroid problem based off this report, you're free to... But i think that's completely asinine.

#17 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 32419 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:48 PM

PooNani... don't feed the trolls.

And "Powe" I just reread the thread very very closely and nowhere di he even suggest that. Take a timeout asshole, thanks for ruining the thread.

#18 Mourning Woodward Jr

• 734 posts

Seriously, the Subway Series was the first thing I thought about when Clemens was named -- the bat-splinter-throwing and screaming at Piazza moment was so surreal and looks, especially in hindsight, like a textbook moment of roid rage for Rocket Roger.

Edit: Immature asteriskery.

Edited by Mourning Woodward Jr, 13 December 2007 - 06:53 PM.

#19 dnramo

• 3669 posts

Considering there is zero paper trail connecting Clemens/Pettitte to performance-enhancers, only the accusations of McNamee, i'm guessing we havent seen the end of this.

They do have a paper trail to McNamee, though. Why would he risk obstruction of justice charges in addition to drug trafficking charges by lying about who he gave them to? Doesn't it make more sense that he'd lie to the press (where there's no penalty) than lie to federal prosecutors?

You also have to be a pretty wacky conspiracy theorist to believe that Mitchell set this up to libel Clemens.

So who, exactly, do you think made up what and what, exactly, was their motivation?

#20 Yankees

• 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Seriously, the Subway Series was the first thing I thought about when Clemens was named -- the bat-splinter-throwing and screaming at Piazza moment was so surreal and looks, especially in hindsight, like a textbook moment of roid rage for Rocket Roger.

Edit: Immature asteriskery.

I knew you would back out of those asterisks.

#21 NJ Sox

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

Sorry, i'm not going to feed into the pissing and moaning about Yankee fans that i'm sure would be enjoyed today. The Yankees are in a bad place because the two people they got to talk have a New York connection and as a result there is a greater number of Yankees than any other team. That says nothing about the team, only the scant amount of evidence Mitchell was able to gather. If they had gotten turncoats from another baseball market, it would have been the same story there. It's acknowledged that it is a widespread problem, but if you want to pretend that the Yankees are the biggest villains in baseball's steroid problem based off this report, you're free to... But i think that's completely asinine.

Bottom line is this.... Yankees so called "Dynasty" = *

#22 Yankees

• 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

Bottom line is this.... Yankees so called "Dynasty" = *

Can't be any older then 11 :c070:

#23 jarules1185

• 124 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

If the premise of this thread is using the Mitchell report as truth, then I think we might as well mention what the report actually said: Justice didn't use until AFTER the 2000 World Series and Pettitte didn't use until 2001-2002

Edited by jarules1185, 13 December 2007 - 07:09 PM.

#24 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 32419 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

jesus christ