Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Week 12 - Eagles at the Blade: Pats vs the World, cont.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1753 replies to this topic

#1 Sille Skrub

• 3846 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:10 AM

A rematch of Super Bowl XXXIX.

The 22 point spread seems to indicate that the Donofro will not be making an appearance in this one. A.J. Feeley, anyone? Speaking of Feeleys, I invited Yammer to this game but he couldn't make it up. For this reason and this reason alone, Bosoxen got my vote in the P&G "Roto Chase" poll.

More Faith Hill for everyone. If I weren't a Pats fan, I'd be so sick of them by now.

Thankfully, I'm am one.

Go Pats.

#2 Asterisk

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

45-6

#3 Havok

• 444 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:38 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Repeat the Dream.

#4 Phil Nevin 23

• DFA

• PipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

63-3

#5 tailwind

• too poor to be SoSH Member

• 2102 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

Early spread is at 20+.

Just a little ridiculous that the Pats could end up playing a great game, winning by three TDs, and potentially not cover.

#6 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 4759 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

I am tempted to lay the 22.

LAY THE 22? Jesus.

#7 bluefenderstrat

• 848 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:26 PM

The Patriots may not cover the spread (in the first half).

#8 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

Livng in Eagles country, I *really* enjoy sporting a Flying Elvis pin on the lapel of my suit when I go to court, especially this week. After getting many dirty looks and snide comments from judges and prosecutors, I thought it might not be in my clients' best interests and considered taking it off...

for about a millisecond! Damn, I can't wait for this one! It's going to get ugly early.

#9 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9638 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

Expect either Bam Childress or CJ Jones to play a big part in this gameplan as the players that will likely simulate Brian Westbrook in practice.

#10 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5536 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

I'm not that familiar with the Eagles DB's but typically they have good DB's. If they have plus defenders in the defensive backfield I would definitely take the Eagles & 22. The Patriots truly are a great team and I think they'll win the game but it wouldn't surprise me if it were close (within 7) early in the 4th quarter.

#11 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11176 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Remember McNabb's graceless comments, forget Andy Reid's graceful ones, and "unleash hell." I don't care what the score is, so long as the message is conveyed and the game won:

http://www.moviesoun...r/entertain.wav

Maximus:"Are you not entertained! Are you not entertained! Is this not why you are here!"

#12 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10154 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

Expect either Bam Childress or CJ Jones to play a big part in this gameplan as the players that will likely simulate Brian Westbrook in practice.

I wonder who on the practice squad will simulate McNabb's puking.

#13 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11176 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

This picture is priceless:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/

Edited by dcmissle, 21 November 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#14 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19276 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

"The difference between being realistic and having faith."

H7CG5RQPbgY

uuuuuummmmmmmm... a possible rejoinder?

lIKLwo8CJAo

It's so much better not to have to choose.

"What a game."

Edited by Reverend, 22 November 2007 - 01:45 PM.

#15 nazz45

• 2459 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

I'm not that familiar with the Eagles DB's but typically they have good DB's. If they have plus defenders in the defensive backfield I would definitely take the Eagles & 22. The Patriots truly are a great team and I think they'll win the game but it wouldn't surprise me if it were close (within 7) early in the 4th quarter.

It's a pretty good but banged up secondary. They likely will be on their third-string free safety after Quintin Mikell suffered an MCL sprain. And Dawkins and Shepherd have missed large chunks of the season due to nagging injuries, though they are back now.

Jim Johnson bringing blitz package after blitz package tends to place a lot of pressure on the Eagles defensive backfield if they don't hurry the QB.

With the way the Patriots' offensive line has been playing, I think heavy blitzing plays in their favor (as long as they don't miss their assignments in protection, of course). Perhaps Brady won't have as much time or opportunity to stretch the field, but you're going to have a ton of one-on-one matchups in the secondary, a lot of room underneath (if you are running Watson, Moss, or Stallworth on deep middle routes as a pseudo-decoy), and the ability to pull off some well-timed screens for big plays (as the Patriots did in SB XXXIX).

The Bills tried to bring a lot of pressure, a lot exotic fronts and blitzes -- basically how the Eagles operate on D -- but the NE offensive line kept Brady clean all game, allowing him to pick and choose down the field. Eagles have better personnel, but you're just asking for big plays when you only drop 5 or 6 in the secondary against the Patriots 3-wide, 1-TE, 1 RB set.

41-20, NE. Because of Westbrook, the Eagles cover.

Edited by nazz45, 21 November 2007 - 03:53 PM.

#16 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9638 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

It's a pretty good but banged up secondary. They likely will be on their third-string free safety after Quintin Mikell suffered an MCL sprain. And Dawkins and Shepherd have missed large chunks of the season due to nagging injuries, though they are back now.

Jim Johnson bringing blitz package after blitz package tends to place a lot of pressure on the Eagles defensive backfield if they don't hurry the QB.

With the way the Patriots' offensive line has been playing, I think heavy blitzing plays in their favor (as long as they don't miss their assignments in protection, of course). Perhaps Brady won't have as much time or opportunity to stretch the field, but you're going to have a ton of one-on-one matchups in the secondary, a lot of room underneath (if you are running Watson, Moss, or Stallworth on deep middle routes as a pseudo-decoy), and the ability to pull off some well-timed screens for big plays (as the Patriots did in SB XXXIX).

The Bills tried to bring a lot of pressure, a lot exotic fronts and blitzes -- basically how the Eagles operate on D -- but the NE offensive line kept Brady clean all game, allowing him to pick and choose down the field. Eagles have better personnel, but you're just asking for big plays when you only drop 5 or 6 in the secondary against the Patriots 3-wide, 1-TE, 1 RB set.

38-20, NE. Because of Westbrook, the Eagles cover.

BB will completely take Westbrook out of this game. Thats his MO. The Eagles have zero elite WR's or TE's and they will likely have AJ Feely throwing to him. As good as Westbrook is I see the Patriots chipping him before 5 yards and physically pounding him into the ground.

#17 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

BB will completely take Westbrook out of this game. Thats his MO. The Eagles have zero elite WR's or TE's and they will likely have AJ Feely throwing to him. As good as Westbrook is I see the Patriots chipping him before 5 yards and physically pounding him into the ground.

Which is, I think, the real reason the spread is so high. BB likes to attack the opponent's strength and Eagles just don't don't have anyone else that a defense like the Pats' actually has to worry about. I think we'll see a good bit of the 4-3 and Philly getting absolutely stuffed offensively.

45-6.

#18 941827

• 3302 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Replace "Westbrook" with "Addai" and delete "and they will likely have AJ Feely throwing to him" and this is just what I would have predicted before the Colts game. We all saw how that worked out.

I think the Eagles will score points, but the Pats will score more -- lots more.

#19 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9638 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

Replace "Westbrook" with "Addai" and delete "and they will likely have AJ Feely throwing to him" and this is just what I would have predicted before the Colts game. We all saw how that worked out.

I think the Eagles will score points, but the Pats will score more -- lots more.

If Feely is back there they won't score more than 14 points. Westbrook is good but everyone knows the Pats will take away the teams best player. The Eagles are just another middling .500 team and shouldn't even be put in the same sentence as the Colts.

#20 CWiggum

• 1496 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Maybe it is what you would have predicted, but the Pats game plan on defense in the Colt game was clearly not in any way aimed at containing Addai, at least not in the first half. Up until that point, the Colts were having a great year offensively, and they still had Manning throwing to Wayne and Clark, in addition to Addai. Plus, Harrison was questionable the whole week, meaning the Pats probably prepared for an offense that had all of those weapons in it. I don't think they went into that game thinking that the primary objective should be to take away Addai.

This weekend, I am comfortable saying they will try to take away Westbrook, and let the other vaunted members of the Eagles offense beat them, if they can.

#21 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 12798 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

The thing is, in the Colts game, the primary thing the Pats had to worry about was the passing game to Clark and Wayne - not the running game with Addai. Addai killed us because we were defending the pass first, all game long.

There's a lot less to defend vs the Eagles. I don't see how this is a good comparison.

#22 941827

• 3302 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

The thing is, in the Colts game, the primary thing the Pats had to worry about was the passing game to Clark and Wayne - not the running game with Addai. Addai killed us because we were defending the pass first, all game long.

There's a lot less to defend vs the Eagles. I don't see how this is a good comparison.

I made a mistake -- I thought Dallas Clark was hurt coming into that game. I think he was injured during the game.

I disagree with CWiggum on Harrison -- it was widely reported that Harrison was seriously injured. There was no way anyone was expecting him to be 100% coming into the game.

But that's of minor consequence -- with Wayne and Clark healthy coming into the game, I agree that the Colts had more weapons than the Eagles do. I stand corrected.

#23 CodPiece XL

• 804 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

Remember McNabb's graceless comments, forget Andy Reid's graceful ones, and "unleash hell." I don't care what the score is, so long as the message is conveyed and the game won:

Maximus:"Are you not entertained! Are you not entertained! Is this not why you are here!"

Just a short article I read, it continues along the Gladiator theme:

"These Sunday night games featuring the Patriots are starting to make me think of the Christians and the Lions in the Roman Coliseum. First, it was the Bills thrown to the Patriots in front of a national television audience. Now, it's the Eagles who are designated for slaughter this Sunday night."

http://www.thebullet...e...76361&rfi=6

Expectations don't appear to be err....too high.

#24 Trotsky

• 763 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

Seems that most viewers tune out after the second half of Patriots games. Blowouts aren't big viewer draws.

#25 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 12798 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

This has been the basis of my avatar for a few weeks. They had a whole big thread on this over at Patsfans.com, it was pretty funny.

#26 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17253 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

There's a huge difference....Manning/Addai are a lot better than Feely/WestbrookIn that game they decided to take away Manning, not Addai. If they take away Westbrook, does Feely scare you?

#27 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9182 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:35 AM

This has been the basis of my avatar for a few weeks. They had a whole big thread on this over at Patsfans.com, it was pretty funny.

Scott Van Pelt actually did a Russel Crowe impression during his recap of the Pats last week on sportscenter. Classic.

#28 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 7739 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

For what it's worth, Sunday night's game looks like a tough one for the on-line brokers and other scalpers.

E-mailable tix in the low rows in sections 333 and 334 (sidelines upstais) are obtainable for $125 or so apiece (after the "hidden" fees). TicketsNow is the site I was looking at (and have used before).

Those same tix were anywhere from $50-100 more on Wednesday.

Edited by TheoShmeo, 23 November 2007 - 08:22 AM.

#29 Rico

• 1441 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

A rematch of Super Bowl XXXIX. .....
If I weren't a Pats fan, I'd be so sick of them by now.

Thankfully, I'm am one.

Go Pats.

As any Eagles fan will tell you the Eagles actually own that game....I'm a Pats fan sick of them being on at 8:30 PM. As long as they are unbeaten I suspect all games will start no earlier than 4 PM including the Miami game which I have tickets for.

About 47-10... The Pats elect to use Gostkowki rather than Eckel to run it up. But I'll be in bed when they do.

#30 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Injury reports... wow.

Probable
QB Tom Brady (right shoulder)

Doubtful
QB Donovan McNabb (ankle/thumb)
S Quintin Mikell (knee)

Questionable
OT William Thomas (illness)

Probable
WR Jason Avant (groin)
WR Kevin Curtis (thigh)
FS Brian Dawkins (thigh)
G Todd Herremans (knee)
CB William James (foot)
LB Takeo Spikes (hamstring)

#31 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:31 PM

Injury reports... wow.

Shit Tom has a shoulder injury!!!

#32 XNOUGHT

• Patriots Fan

• 3497 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

Hope Tom is ok.

This shoulder injury has really held his career back.

#33 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19276 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:58 AM

Another new first: The Eff You Injury Report.

2 points for the reversal...

#34 caesarbear

• 78 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

"These Sunday night games featuring the Patriots are starting to make me think of the Christians and the Lions in the Roman Coliseum. First, it was the Bills thrown to the Patriots in front of a national television audience. Now, it's the Eagles who are designated for slaughter this Sunday night."

I've been picturing it more like Spartans.
Posted Image

#35 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

Quarterback Donovan McNabb will miss the Philadelphia Eagles' game Sunday against New England because of a sprained ankle and injured thumb.

McNabb hurt the thumb on his throwing hand early against Miami last Sunday and left after injuring his ankle in the second quarter. He has not practiced all week.

A.J. Feeley, who led the Eagles to a pair of touchdowns in a 17-7 win over the Dolphins, gets the start for underdog Philadelphia.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3125457

#36 Havok

• 444 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

A.J. Feeley getting the start gives the Iggles some hot girlfriend mojo, but Tom still has him beat:

Posted Image Posted Image
MS. BRADY VS. MS. FEELEY

#37 Doza

• 1135 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

What did Addai do in the second half?

#38 DavidWellsAteNelson

• 536 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

What did Addai do in the second half?

He had 11 rushes for 32 yards and 1 catch for 7.

There was this series in the 3rd quarter, where Indy, leading 13 to 7, tried to use the Addai to dictate the rest of the game:

1st and 10 at IND 20 (11:27) J.Addai right end to IND 31 for 11 yards (J.Green, R.Harrison).
1st and 10 at IND 31 (10:41) J.Addai right end to IND 30 for -1 yards (T.Warren, T.Bruschi).
2nd and 11 at IND 30 (10:01) J.Addai left end to IND 21 for -9 yards (J.Green).
3rd and 20 at IND 21 (9:18) (Shotgun) J.Addai up the middle to IND 32 for 11 yards (R.Baker).
4th and 9 at IND 32 (8:40) H.Smith punts 52 yards to NE 16,

Didn't work.

#39 Asterisk

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

Just found out that Chris Hansen doesn't have enough punts to qualify for any punting stats. Thought that was funny and didn't really know where else to put it. Here's to that fact remaining factual.

#40 Euclis20

• 2427 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

One of the more remarkable stats I can find is that the Pats have allowed a total of 22 yards on 3 punt returns so far this season. I'm having difficulty comprehending that. 10 games into the season, and only 3 punts have been returned.

#41 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 4759 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

I am headed to the game tonight for a massive tailgate. Skrub, I will be calling you to meet up for a brew. We're going to be in P10 I think?

#42 Trotsky

• 763 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hmm.... Pats red zone D is tied for last in the AFC. I had no idea.

#43 gtg807y

• 2455 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

AFC EAST CHAMPS

Woot.

Posted Image

Go crazy folks. Go crazy.

#44 Havok

• 444 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

Weather.com has the temperature in Foxboro tonight to be in the mid-30's with snow and/or sleet falling overnight.

Meanwhile, it's mid-80s and sunny here in Tampa. :bravo:

#45 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5536 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

I took the Eagles and 24 for a 1/2 dozen fishing flies against my brother. I'm thinking 38-16 Pats.

#46 neil

• 664 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

Why can't this game be on earlier? Perfect opportunity to watch it right now with my g/f being asleep from working a nightshift.

She'll wake up just in time to bitch non-stop about the Pats game being on at 8.

#47 Havok

• 444 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

Why can't this game be on earlier? Perfect opportunity to watch it right now with my g/f being asleep from working a nightshift.

She'll wake up just in time to bitch non-stop about the Pats game being on at 8.

I hear it. Mine is doing some stats homework right now and will surely start bitching about how she's going to miss the Kardashians reality show because of the Patriots, even though she has two more TVs in her dorm suite. She'll also complain that I've had too many High Lifes and that I'm most likely going to sleep past my 11 AM accounting class. I guess this is what I deserve for dating a girl from New York. :bravo:

I can't wait for the game to start. I'm really hoping they show a XXXIX montage.

#48 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 3933 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:45 PM

No kidding. It was bad enough that the baseball playoff games started so late.

#49 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9638 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

Inactive players for the Patriots tonight:

QB Matt Gutierrez (third quarterback)
WR Chad Jackson
S Mel Mitchell
S Eugene Wilson
OT Wesley Britt
C/G Billy Yates
DL Le Kevin Smith
DL Kareem Brown

#50 John Dopson

• 1358 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

That's interesting that Wilson and Mitchell are both inactive in that both returned to practice this week.