Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox Sign Dennis Blackmon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 PrimusSucks626

• 413 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Sorta related to the Daniel Nava thread. Sox signed C Dennis Blackmon from the Northern League Joliet Jackhammers:

Second top independent player inked
Posted ImageThe Red Sox have signed their second independent player in as many days, purchasing the contract of catcher Dennis Blackmon of the Joliet Jackhammers of the Northern League. Blackmon, a 24-year-old right-handed hitter, was ranked as the #5 independent league prospect by Baseball America, and grades out above average defensively, with a very strong throwing arm. He hit .289/.352/.426 (.778 OPS) with 10 doubles, one triple and nine HR in 289 AB (37 K/28 BB) over 81 games with Joliet in 2007.

Seems to me like we got the same thing we already have in Mark Wagner, with Blackmon being a year older. I don't how independent prospects compare with those in the minor leagues, so I won't comment on proximity to the majors.

I'm just a tad bit skeptical of the offensive numbers Wagner put up this year (Lancaster effect FTL), despite what he showed in the lower levels. So basically, we now have two catching prospects who are very good defensively with offensive potential.

Anything to see?

#2 SouthPaw21

• 1,220 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

Here is Baseball America's Report on Blackmon from the Independent Leagues Top 10 Prospects list.

5. DENNIS BLACKMON, C
Joliet (Northern)

You donít often find catchers in independent baseball who grade out as above-average defensively. Major league clubs hang onto catching prospects for years because every team needs at least two backstops who can handle quality pitching, no matter what they hit. But the Northern League was blessed with a pair of catching prospects this year in Alen and Blackmon.

Blackmon rattled off 1.8-second pop times during a Northern League tryout and has consistently rung up similar times in games, better than many catchers around the affiliated minor leagues. He blocked pitches in the dirt well, showed the ability to frame pitches and had two errors in 98 games. Blackmon has a slightly stronger arm than Alenís, although Alenís is more accurate, which explains why Blackmon threw out 28 percent of baserunners compared to Alenís 31 percent.

Blackmon also showed an improved bat this season. The 24-year-old hit .289/.352/.426 with gap power while proving difficult to strikeout (37 Ks in 289 at-bats).

#3 Tito's Pullover

• Lol boo ALS

• 1,353 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

The Sox are just snatching up all this Independent talent. It can't durt, so I approve.

Where do these guys report? They seem advanced enough to begin at least in Lancaster, if not Portland.

#4 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Sorta related to the Daniel Nava thread. Sox signed C Dennis Blackmon from the Northern League Joliet Jackhammers:
Seems to me like we got the same thing we already have in Mark Wagner, with Blackmon being a year older. I don't how independent prospects compare with those in the minor leagues, so I won't comment on proximity to the majors.

I'm just a tad bit skeptical of the offensive numbers Wagner put up this year (Lancaster effect FTL), despite what he showed in the lower levels. So basically, we now have two catching prospects who are very good defensively with offensive potential.

Anything to see?

He's not necessarily being signed as a catching prospect but perhaps just as a catcher. It would be nice if he developed as a hitter but they do need second and third catchers throughout their minor league system.

#5 January

• PipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

He's not necessarily being signed as a catching prospect but perhaps just as a catcher. It would be nice if he developed as a hitter but they do need second and third catchers throughout their minor league system.

Give where the Sox tend to end up in the draft, we're unlikely to get decent catching prospects. The more we have, the better the chance that one of them pans out into a usable major leaguer.

#6 cleanfloor

• Fredo Corleone

• 1,552 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:07 AM

And he was released.

3 of 32 caught stealing. Ouch. For how highly his defensive abilities were touted when he was signed, it's too bad. .286/.365/.418/.783 with a 14::27 bb::k ratio won't cut it in single A