Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo
* * * * - 9 votes

Joe Posnanski: your new Senior Writer for SI (Not No More, He Ain't)

1182 replies to this topic

#1151 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

It is fun to talk about Gwynn’s value, his production, his advanced numbers (WAR and OPS+). But it was transcendent just watching him hit, watching him devise a way to slip the baseball through.       

Bingo.

#1152 JimD

• 4,793 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

You can't make this stuff up.

#1153 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,848 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Damn...

Right? This in particular got me:

One of my favorite fatherhood experiences was when Elizabeth rode in the front seat of the car for the first time, and we turned on the radio and some super fun song came on — I think it was “Call Me Maybe” — and we sang along, and she did this funny little dance, and it was so fantastic, even if it doesn’t translate to anyone else.

I have a 4 year old daughter, and on a whim this week I taught her "Funkytown," only substituting silly things for "Funky" whenever we wanted. And she made up this silly little dance to it, and it's great. And Joe's description here kinda matches my own experience. Amazing.

#1154 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 15,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

As I watched her, all I could think was how grown up she has become, how deeply I already miss the 4- and 5- and 6-year old versions of her, but also how fantastic the 9-year-old version is. No, I don’t want to start singing “Sunrise, Sunset” here … fathers understand.

This part got me.  I already miss the 12 month and 18 month versions of my kids.  Yes, they are more interesting and fun at 2, but they'll never be that cuddly and sweet again.  And, like, that's it, it's over.  Gone.  Just like that.

Edited by drleather2001, 18 June 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#1155 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 6,352 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I'm severely disappointed that he hasn't written about LeBron coming home yet.

#1156 PBDWake

• 2,846 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

http://probasketball...lander/related/

#1157 drleather2001

• 15,396 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

His blog post on Ted Williams and the Boudreau Shift is classic Pos, though, with his unique blend of youthful, amused, fascination and down to earth explanation.

#1158 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 6,352 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Awesome thank you. I always forget to check the NBC site. He has a very weird consistency about which posts make it over to his page. 

#1159 JimD

• 4,793 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Pos will usually tweet a link to new columns

#1160 Brianish

• 4,355 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Per his Twitter, Joe was apparently at Harry Potter world with his kids today.

Hilarious. 

#1161 Number45forever

• 1,558 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hilarious. 

Not for the first time...if you haven't read this yet, do it:

http://joeposnanski....ie-the-prefect/

#1162 PC Drunken Friar

• 3,735 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Not for the first time...if you haven't read this yet, do it:

http://joeposnanski....ie-the-prefect/

Easily one of my favorite blog posts of anyone, anytime, and I dint even have kids and have never read our seen Harry potter.

#1163 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 13,048 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Hilarious. 

How long is this damn vacation anyways?  He's posted all of three things in August.

#1164 JimD

• 4,793 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Joe's new NBC Sports venture is up - SportsWorld  http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/

There’s a beautiful scene in the movie “Heaven Can Wait” where the Warren Beatty character tries to convince his best friend that he didn’t really die. He explains and explains, sounding crazier with every sentence, until finally Mr. Jordan, his guardian angel, makes a suggestion.

“Try a little music,” Mr. Jordan says as he points to the saxophone that Warren Beatty’s character used to play. “That’s a great persuader.”

It is when I heard the music for the old Saturday Afternoon show NBC’s “SportsWorld” that everything rushed back. I loved everything about “SportsWorld.”

Sports television was different then … mostly because there just wasn’t very much of it. The baseball game of the week was exactly what it claimed to be – the only baseball game on television that week. There was no Sunday night NFL game, no 18-hole coverage of golf events, and even NBA playoff games were sometimes tape delayed.

And so we craved anything that resembled sports. And that’s precisely what “SportsWorld” was: Anything that resembled sports. Bowling? Yes. Pro wrestling? Yes. Horse races you had never heard of? Yes. Two guys racing down the side of a mountain? Yes.

That music would kick in, and this amazing feeling of expectation bubbled over. You had absolutely no idea what kind of athletic event you were about to see. I vividly remember one “SportsWorld” that featured the Bucketeers – a basketball team that Meadowlark Lemon had formed after he left the Harlem Globetrotters. I remember they played outside, on the beach, and it was brilliantly sunny, and a 44-year-old Wilt Chamberlain played for the Bucketeers. It was absolutely fantastic.

That feeling is what we’re hoping to recreate here as we reach into the past and revive NBC’s “SportsWorld.” The world has changed, and the media landscape has changed, and there are a lot of ways to tell a good sports story. We want to tell those stories in every way we can.

The guts of the new SportsWorld will be the writing. We will feature in-depth stories from the great writers we have throughout NBC – writers from the SportsTalks and the Golf Channel and Rotoworld and the regional sports networks.

Beyond that, SportsWorld will feature piercing and innovative video content from across the NBC Sports family. And, yes, we will have a few surprises lined up too because surprises were the essence of the old show.

Joe's first contributions are a column about Dale Earnhardt Jr. (http://sportsworld.n...com/this-is-40/) and a piece (not surprisingly) on Ned Yost and the Royals (http://sportsworld.n...better-off-ned/).

Edited by JimD, 15 October 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#1165 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,518 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

I never heard of SportsWorld on NBC. It sounds like a ripoff of ABC's Wide World of Sports, which was very famous and had a very memorable opening theme. Everything he wrote there would make way more sense (to me anyway) if you switch out SportsWorld with Wide World of Sports. 

But since it's NBC's website he can't do that I guess.

Sounds like the site is going to try to be like Grantland. I hope it's good.

#1166 Domer

• 2,134 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

I never heard of SportsWorld on NBC.

Well, it has only existed for fewer than 24 hours at this point.

#1167 SuperManny

• 293 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

I would assume this relates to the old NBC show Sportsworld that was mentioned in the article. 

#1168 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,518 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, I said I never heard of SportsWorld on NBC, not sportsworld.nbcsports.com. I was talking about the TV show Joe wrote four paragraphs about, that were posted right above my comment. Which is why I also talked about Wide World of Sports, which was also a TV show, not a website.

#1169 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,833 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Posnanski on Bill James: Vanguard After The Revolution

http://sportsworld.n...cal-revolution/

#1170 Laser Show

• 3,527 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

An article on the beginning of the NBA season in Cleveland and the hope the city has. Great great stuff.

http://sportsworld.n...-an-anticlimax/

#1171 Skeesix

• 378 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

JoePos nailing it again. I think a few months ago I said he's got his fastball back and I don't think it's wavered at all.

http://joeposnanski....ng-and-defense/

I was thinking about this when looking hard at two pitchers with very similar records: Curt Schilling and Kevin Brown.

By some statistics, Schilling’s career and Brown’s career are freakishly similar. They pitched almost the exact same number of innings:

Schilling: 3,261 innings
Brown: 3,256 innings

They had very similar won-loss records.

Schilling: 216-146
Brown: 211-144

They have ERAs that are close, and their ERA+ —which compares them against league average and considers park factors — is identical:

Schilling: 3.46 ERA, 127 ERA+
Brown: 3.28 ERA, 127 ERA+.

And yet most people — including me — think Schilling was a noticeably better pitcher (For instance: I annually vote Schilling for the Hall of Fame, and did not vote Kevin Brown). Why? Well, there are some clear reasons. Brown was mediocre in the postseason, Schilling was legendary. Schilling had more good seasons. Schilling has the greatest strikeout-to-walk ratio in baseball history.*

Now, you consider the ballparks they played in, the leagues, and so on — look, Kevin Brown was a superb pitcher. But, in reality, he wasn’t as good as Schilling at preventing runs. His ERA is, at least in part, an illusion.

This is when some people will say: No! Not an illusion! You can’t blame Kevin Brown for those unearned runs.

I want to talk about this word “blame” in a minute.

Really good stuff, which gets you thinking about how one applies statistics to baseball.

#1172 Bergs

• 3,239 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

An article on the beginning of the NBA season in Cleveland and the hope the city has. Great great stuff.

Man, he is a great fucking writer.

#1173 Bergs

• 3,239 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just wow.

http://sportsworld.n...-joe-posnanski/

#1174 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,813 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

I could tell you stories about Buck (check my avatar), but Joe's are better.

#1175 JimD

• 4,793 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Love this:

We were in Houston, at a ballgame, and I saw a man steal a foul ball from a boy. It was flagrant – the man just took the ball right away from the boy, and he held it up high like it was the head of Medusa, and I said: “Would you look at this jerk?”

“What’s that?” Buck said.

“That guy down there, he just took that ball away from that kid.”

Buck considered the situation. He said: “Don’t be so hard on him. He might have a kid of his own at home.”

Yes, that was Buck O’Neil – he just saw the best in people, even people who took foul balls away from little kids. Maybe he’s got a kid at home. That was a good one; I had to give Buck credit, only then something occurred to me.

“Wait a minute,” I said to Buck. “If he’s got a kid, why didn’t he bring him to ballgame?”

I smiled triumphantly. But Buck did not hesitate.

“Maybe,” he said, “the kid is sick.”

#1176 Orel Miraculous

• 1,533 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

A perfectly fine article until the cringe-inducing last line. Poz walks a fine line between emotional and maudlin.

#1177 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 15,308 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, I said I never heard of SportsWorld on NBC, not sportsworld.nbcsports.com. I was talking about the TV show Joe wrote four paragraphs about, that were posted right above my comment. Which is why I also talked about Wide World of Sports, which was also a TV show, not a website.

Agreed, I have zero recollection of the program he was gushing about. It's like he grew up in this alternate universe where "Wide World of Sports" never existed.

#1178 drleather2001

• 15,396 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

A perfectly fine article until the cringe-inducing last line. Poz walks a fine line between emotional and maudlin.

Ya. My only criticism of Pos is that sometimes he tries too hard to connect on an emotional level. I think it's inseparable from who he is as a person (see how he approached Paterno and how it translated in his coverage), but he's such a personal and insightful writer he doesn't need that extra, explicit, push. It comes off as gilding the lily.

#1179 Trlicek's Whip

• 3,089 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

This piece that Joe filed on Belichick is freaking outstanding

#1180 Laser Show

• 3,527 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

Was just coming here to post that. Absolutely fantastic. Loved the Tony Gonzalez story.

#1181 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,228 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

So we have, at most, 7 years left. Savor them. That's nothing. The almost perfect season was 7 years ago.

Gates and Buffet were asked, independently, for the single greatest factor in their success. Same answer: focus.

That's why he no time for meaningless bullshit. It takes away from focus.

#1182 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,574 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

the Tony Gonzalez story made me laugh out loud. what a great piece.

#1183 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 8,137 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

This piece that Joe filed on Belichick is freaking outstanding

It's fine, it's well-written, but ...

1) He's written that Tony Gonzalez story at least three or four times before

2) I don't think he really scratched the surface as far as who Belichick is. If you read Halberstam's book on Belichick or Holley's books, you see different sides of Belichick than those portrayed by the media: the teacher, the mentor to coaches, the funny, sarcastic guy behind closed doors, the guy who had Lenny Clarke perform in front of the team, the guy who told Josh McDaniels after he got fired from Denver that he needed to call his wife because his family would worry. Posnanski doesn't seem to get any of these facets of Belichick's personality: he's writing about the dour, calculating guy that the media usually sees. It's a disappointingly shallow take from a writer who typically goes deeper.

Reply to this topic

52 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 52 guests, 0 anonymous users