Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo
* * * * - 9 votes

Joe Posnanski: your new Senior Writer for SI (Not No More, He Ain't)

1121 replies to this topic

#1101 JimD

• 4413 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Pos's posts on the HoF discussions have been phenomenal.  He really does bridge the sportswriters, the sabermetricians and the casual fans in a way that is fun to read and informative without being preachy or condescending.

#1102 richgedman'sghost

• 375 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

He's in a rut. It's not just that his stuff us hard to find. His work is way off from where it was 3-5 years ago. I don't know if it's a hangover from the Paterno criticism or the move away from KC or that he's become rich and complacent or what.

How do you like his Hall of Fame articles? I personally think it's some of his best writing in years. Although he is a good writer overall, it is very easy to tell that his heart and soul is in baseball. The time and effort he put into each piece clearly shows.

#1103 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3496 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

I've loved his HoF stuff, and I feel like he has his fastball back - I don't really read anything other than his blog anymore, but that's the way it used to be and I'm fine with it. 

Even the farmers' dating service ad piece he did recently felt like his old silly self. 

He's back in my rotation after being out for more than a year. 

#1104 Dehere

• 2342 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

How do you like his Hall of Fame articles? I personally think it's some of his best writing in years. Although he is a good writer overall, it is very easy to tell that his heart and soul is in baseball. The time and effort he put into each piece clearly shows.

Oh, he's been great. He's all the way back. His 100 greatest players countdown has been incredible. I do think he was in a sustained rut for some time but right now he's as good as ever. His blog is back to being a daily check-in for me.

#1105 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 11630 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Joe just dismantled 60 Minutes and MLB today: http://joeposnanski....minutes-report/

The 60 Minutes report (Part I and Part II), in case you have not seen it yet, will make you dislike everyone more. Everyone. No matter how much you may dislike Alex Rodriguez, Tony Bosch, Bud Selig or Rob Manfred, it is guaranteed that by the end of this thing your opinions of them will have dropped substantially. You will like your dog less after seeing this thing.

Is it worth the trip?

Baseball decided: Yes. Absolutely it’s worth it. Why? Well, for an answer to that, you have to wait all the way to the end of the 60 Minutes report.

I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Edit: fcuk it

Mod. edit:  I fixed the formatting so people would know Jimbo is the one who enjoyed Pos's article, not that Pos's article ends with him saying he enjoyed the payoff - smas

Edited by smastroyin, 13 January 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#1106 joe dokes

• 2471 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Law talk alert:

I get all the hand-wringing about the scummy people that MLB is relying on to support its case, and even the scummy people that are MLB itself.  Such screams of scumminess resonate with the public, but, for better or worse, that's how people are prosecuted every day.   The person who takes the the deal from the prosecutors first testifies against the others. The plurality, if not the majority, of evidence against accused drug people comes from other drug people.

I assume that all of the scummy facts about Bosch were laid out in front of the arbitrator. He found Bosch credible enough. Obviously I dont have the benefit of a transcript to see if any of the testimony was just patently unbelievable -- "we travelled to a rest area on the planet Jupiter. .  ." or he came up with dates where ARod was indisputably elsewhere.  But otherwise, in courts, its a pretty rare credibility determination that gets overturned on appeal.  In an arbitration proceeding its even less likely.

All the whining about scumbags and hearsay is Arod and his lawyers capitalizing on the fact that baseball fans also watch TV.  It is not legal talk, of which he and his team have very little to talk about. and Arod post-decisional whine about a "jury" is patently bullshit. He surrendered his right to a jury when he signed (by proxy) the CBA. (Obviously he gets a jury if a Govt charges him criminally.)

As for the non-law stuff....yeah, MLB is seemingly out to get him, and is punishing him for being an obstinate dickhead.

But ultimately, the final decision in this case will be something along the lines of, "The arbitrator was entitled to rely on the evidence presented at the hearing, and his conclusion was supportable in light of that evidence."

#1107 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 11630 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

Except buried in the 'non-law stuff' is that exactly the same type of 'scummy' behavior on A-Rod's part (of which there was plenty) is a big chunk of the justification for the size of the suspension.  It adds an extra layer of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocrisy on top of the scummy lawyer stuff.  MLB used every dirty trick they could to get A-Rod and then double-dinged him for using dirty tricks to defend himself.  A filthy rigged process can still render and objectively right decision, sure, but that 60 Minutes outro played like a punch line.

#1108 joe dokes

• 2471 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

Except buried in the 'non-law stuff' is that exactly the same type of 'scummy' behavior on A-Rod's part (of which there was plenty) is a big chunk of the justification for the size of the suspension.  It adds an extra layer of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocrisy on top of the scummy lawyer stuff.  MLB used every dirty trick they could to get A-Rod and then double-dinged him for using dirty tricks to defend himself.  A filthy rigged process can still render and objectively right decision, sure, but that 60 Minutes outro played like a punch line.

I dont know if I would call the process "rigged," where the arbitrator is at least facially neutral. I guess in the context of prosecutions, I dont see MLB as having engaged in "dirty tricks." 

Compensating (through money, legal protection, etc) a witness to testify (which is what MLB did in spades with Bosch) is information that comes out at the hearing and can be weighed in a credibiltiy determination.  Trying to compensate a witness to stay home or withhold evidence (which I understand ARod did or tried to do) is something different.  And this wasn't a courtroom.

There are a lot of people in prison for a really long time based on evidence from witnesses and tactics much scummier than Bosch and MLB. Arod and his mediawhore lawyer can go cry me a river. 

#1109 cromulence

• 1361 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

I dont know if I would call the process "rigged," where the arbitrator is at least facially neutral. I guess in the context of prosecutions, I dont see MLB as having engaged in "dirty tricks." 

Compensating (through money, legal protection, etc) a witness to testify (which is what MLB did in spades with Bosch) is information that comes out at the hearing and can be weighed in a credibiltiy determination.  Trying to compensate a witness to stay home or withhold evidence (which I understand ARod did or tried to do) is something different.  And this wasn't a courtroom.

There are a lot of people in prison for a really long time based on evidence from witnesses and tactics much scummier than Bosch and MLB. Arod and his mediawhore lawyer can go cry me a river. 

Come on. They purchased documents they knew were stolen. You can't say with a straight face that you "don't see MLB as having engaged in 'dirty tricks'."

#1110 joe dokes

• 2471 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Come on. They purchased documents they knew were stolen. You can't say with a straight face that you "don't see MLB as having engaged in 'dirty tricks'."

I can and I did.

"Dirty tricks"  (IMO) would be paying the guys *to* steal the documents; or creating fake documents. All of these things are/were relevant to the credibility issue. But they apparently weren't enough to undermine the arbitrator's belief in their authenticity.

If this were a government prosecution, the holder of the stolen documents would have little choice but to turn them over or probably face some sort of ancillary prosecution.  In this context, however (if you follow along with the narrative that ARod is a  baseball "criminal" and that MLB has the right to "prosecute") MLB has no subpoena power (as far as I know), it can't threaten anyone with an obstruction charge. It cant get tap Bosch's phone or get him to wear a wire. When someone says "I've got the evidence, you're gonna have to pay for it," MLB has only two choices....pay for it or drop the case.

I think this is basically how it *has* to go in any case *not* involving a failed test. (Whether such cases are fair or appropriate is another issue). I suppose its the non-criminal version of flipping a dealer and getting him to set up a deal with *his* dealer. Govt informants get all sorts of remuneration. 

#1111 shlincoln

• 528 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Oh, he's been great. He's all the way back. His 100 greatest players countdown has been incredible. I do think he was in a sustained rut for some time but right now he's as good as ever. His blog is back to being a daily check-in for me.

His Brooks Robinson piece was amazing. Does he have the Top 100 posts tagged? I've missed a few and it would be nice to just deal with a list of them instead of poking through the complete blog archive.

Edit: to answer my own question, yes they are. I was just blind and didn't see the "100 Greatest" tag at the bottom of a post.

Edited by shlincoln, 21 January 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#1112 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7315 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

What a great piece of writing.   Dusty in the room, too.

#1113 LogansDad

• 4868 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

I know none of us really want to talk about it, but his piece on Belichick was really good: http://www.nbcsports...en-loss-broncos

#1114 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 3496 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Damn that's a good piece.

#1115 EvilEmpire

• 3695 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I know none of us really want to talk about it, but his piece on Belichick was really good: http://www.nbcsports...en-loss-broncos

Good article. I hate the Patriots with a passion, but I love Belichick -- what he gets out of his players, how he doesn't let emotion get in the way of hard choices, and the stoic way he handles both victory and defeat. Wish he was coaching my team.

#1116 Dehere

• 2342 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

I wish I worked for Bill Belichick. I really do. I think the people who rip him just haven't taken the time to read anything thoughtful about him, and I'm not a Pats fan. Strong piece.

#1117 Oil Can Dan

• 4799 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

That was a great read. I already liked BB, but I like him even more now.

#1118 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13046 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's a good piece.

I just wish Joe was a little more descriptive about what, exactly, the Patriots were punished for in 2007 (it wasn't simply for "taping the other team's signals", it was for violating a memo that said not to tape signals in the spectator area.).  It's a subtle but crucial difference, and Joe is far from the only one that glosses over it, but I hoped he would clarify it better.

#1119 Number45forever

• 1484 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Roy Hobbs!  LOVED this.  Joe has the 99 mph gas working at the moment, incredible volume of stuff he's been putting out.

http://joeposnanski....o-57-roy-hobbs/

#1120 johnmd20

• King of the Avatards

• 15029 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Roy Hobbs!  LOVED this.  Joe has the 99 mph gas working at the moment, incredible volume of stuff he's been putting out.

http://joeposnanski....o-57-roy-hobbs/

Yeah, that was awesome.

#1121 Domer

• 1762 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I loved this discussion on the differences between how bWAR and fWAR are calculated for pitchers using Pedro's 1999 and 2000 seasons as a jumping off point.
http://joeposnanski....war-with-pedro/

Edited by Domer, 28 March 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#1122 Big Papa Smurph

• 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Joe Posnanski is just such a gifted storyteller. The story of Joe Bauman's 1954 minor league season.

http://joeposnanski....n-summer-of-54/

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)