Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Offday Sermon 11/14: Optimism!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tito's Pullover

• Lol boo ALS

• 1350 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:45 AM

I'm sorry Sprowl, not to encroach on your domain, but we need this and we need it now...

Posted Image
Here's some simple math:
1-1 = .500
0-2 = .000

Which is the better record to have right now? I like the first one.

I need your help in composing today's sermon. All of you. This thread shall be a thread of OPTIMISM. Post positive thoughts. Leave negative thoughts elsewhere. This shall be a thread of peace and tranquility.

I expect some or all of the following things to happen in the next three to five games:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ONLY SEVEN WINS LEFT.

Edited by Tito's Pullover, 14 October 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#2 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23255 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

But but but.. we need 7!

#3 Tito's Pullover

• Lol boo ALS

• 1350 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:35 AM

But but but.. we need 7!

Ah, but you see? I was being optimistic that it will not be long before the day that we need six.

...Or something like that.

#4 OrlandoMerced

• 187 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

Yes, Tito, and except for the Kitch-style date I fully approve of this thread of optimism for these reasons and more:

1. Gagne will not see any meaningful time.

2. Canada Thanksgiving is long behind us.

3. Our Red Sox are Awesome and Resiliant.

Posted Image

#5 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20935 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

I'm sorry Sprowl, not to encroach on your domain, but we need this and we need it now...

Here's some simple math:
1-1 = .500
0-2 = .000

Which is the better record to have right now? I like the first one.

I need your help in composing today's sermon. All of you. This thread shall be a thread of OPTIMISM. Post positive thoughts. Leave negative thoughts elsewhere. This shall be a thread of peace and tranquility.

I'm Sprowl, I approve this thread, and my shattered psyche has been pieced back together by resolute optimists. I'm not territorial and I claim no domain: my job is not to give a sermon every offday, just to make sure there is one. Welcome Tito to the pastors' guild!

And for the record, I wasn't even that upset when we lost last night. We had good chances last night, but Coco's shoulda-been HR ball went to the deepest RF corral, and Youk's liner with Jacoby Ellsbury on second just happened to be at a fielder. We're playing the second best team in baseball, and I expect them to put up a fight. Schilling vs. Carmona was always going to be a struggle, not a gimme. We weathered their 1-2 pitching tandem, and now we're into the soft underbrook and underbyrd of the Cleveland staff.

Don't get me wrong -- I was very distressed when I realized that our bullpen last night got down to Perdu, Lopez and don't-call-me-a-reliever Lester. Lopez is not a great LOOGY, and while he is pretty good at getting grounders, Hoolian is just as good at that, and better at everything else. Where was Batshit when we needed him? Playoff roster construction error.

I expect we'll take 2 out of 3 in Cleveland, and game 6 in Boston. That's realistic optimism.

Posted Image

#6 RedSoxTarheel38

• 363 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

A) We're still playing baseball.

B) I might get to come to Boston for games 6 and 7.

C) I'm wearing my lucky Dice-K jersey tomorrow.

#7 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11510 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:41 AM

I am so glad that I was forced to miss last night's game on accounta my band had a gig. I knew something strange was going on when I had to drive past Fenway on my way home at 12:45am and the place was still packed. Only later did I find out how much dyspepsia and cushion-hurling I had escaped.

This good fortune fills me with OPTIMISM.

Dice-K is about to get his chance to show the world why we spent the bucks on him. He is going to get to play stopper.
  • His fastball will tail fiercely through the upper reaches of the zone.
  • His slider will grind southward and puree unwitting lefty bats.
  • His splitter will disappear from radar screens worldwide, nearly causing World War III.
  • His changeup will be a GYROBALL!!!!!!!
Do we want to be down 2-1 with 2 more games to play at the Jake? Hell no. Therefore, we won't be.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. --Julian of Norwich

Edited by Savin Hillbilly, 14 October 2007 - 11:50 AM.

#8 Dusty Petra

• 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Dice-K is about to get his chance to show the world why we spent the bucks on him. He is going to get to play stopper.

• His fastball will tail fiercely through the upper reaches of the zone.
  • His slider will grind southward and puree unwitting lefty bats.
  • His splitter will disappear from radar screens worldwide, nearly causing World War III.
  • His changeup will be a GYROBALL!!!!!!!

I think DiceK is ready for his big moment on the stage. He's well rested, the long, dull grind of the regular season is over, and the Japanese media corps has returned to serve as entourage. He hasn't lost velocity, so I don't think he's hurt or has a tired arm or any of the common complaints. With him, everything hinges on his command: can he put the fastball in the right spot when he needs a strikeout?

My optimistic answer: YES!!!

#9 LiveAndDieWithTheSox

• 37 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities; an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.
-Reginald B. Mansell

I became an optimist when I discovered that I wasn't going to win any more games by being anything else.
- Earl Weaver

And for the very resistant:

The basis for optimism is sheer terror.
- Oscar Wilde

If the Sox play well they should take the next 3. Cleveland's hitters are stubborn, but none are truly great. Their next 2 starters *should* be easy prey for Sox hitters, and they've already beaten up on sabathia.

Edited by LiveAndDieWithTheSox, 14 October 2007 - 01:09 PM.

#10 JayeBrady

• 189 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

Posted Image

This little guy on the right below, I believe that is you TP...

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I was telling a pissed off friend last night, it is unrealistic to think they will sweep every series. At some point, a loss or two will need to be properly digested and accepted in order to reach the BIG WIN....not that it excuses shitty bullpen outings, but still.

#11 Sprowl

• 20935 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

It's time for a hymn: the Red Sox have Found a Job

#12 Dusty Petra

• 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

I'm optimistic that the Red Sox will WIN with the elan and presence of mind of this guy

Posted Image

Theodore Gericault 1812

#13 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11510 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

As I was telling a pissed off friend last night, it is unrealistic to think they will sweep every series. At some point, a loss or two will need to be properly digested and accepted in order to reach the BIG WIN....not that it excuses shitty bullpen outings, but still.

Actually it's good news that the bullpen had problems last night, because this occurred in the same game that one of our starting pitchers struggled. Both of these things were likely to happen at some point in this series; if they had happened in two different games, that might have led to two losses instead of one.

How's that for glass-half-full thinking? Do I get a gold star? :lol:

#14 LiveAndDieWithTheSox

• 37 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

Actually it's good news that the bullpen had problems last night, because this occurred in the same game that one of our starting pitchers struggled. Both of these things were likely to happen at some point in this series; if they had happened in two different games, that might have led to two losses instead of one.

Posted Image

#15 Dusty Petra

• 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:47 PM

But if we're doomed to give up 13 runs in a game, couldn't we save the 6 for a game when the Indians score 5?

I could live with 10-3, 0-13, 6-5, 5-4, 4-3. Very, very efficient.

#16 Sprowl

• 20935 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

A song of 70s optimism: I can see clearly now

#17 Effa

• 112 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

This I believe: we will not SWEEP this Series, but we will WIN this series...

Note to self: No complaining, predicting a negative outcome, screaming, yelling, throwing things, scaring pets and other loved ones.
Instead of freaking out, harness the abundant energy in a strong, calm, non-doubting way. Send out strong winning thoughts. Pray. And stock up on Roll-Aids.

This is war: Re-group, make adjustments, and WIN.

The Ethics of War
The best soldier fights
Without vengeance,
Without anger
And without hate.

-Lao Tzu

#18 ClutchBOS

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

I have made an oath to not jerk off until the Sox make it to the world series.

So, for the love of all thats holy, please FUCKING WIN!

Oh Gagne fuck you.

#19 January

• PipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

+
+
+++++
+
+
_linenums:0'> + ++++++ + +

Here is what I would like to see tomorrow.

1)I would like to see a huge lead
2)I would like to see Gagne pitch two perfect innings to close it out.

Edited by January, 14 October 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#20 unholycow

• 64 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

Okay the Rockies are really freaking me out. They need to be stopped.

The Sox have hit CC. They have hit Carmona. They have hit Perez. 3 out of the top 4. That gives me some confidence going into the rest of the series. But the Rockies? Damn.

#21 LiveAndDieWithTheSox

• 37 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

Okay the Rockies are really freaking me out. They need to be stopped.

The Sox have hit CC. They have hit Carmona. They have hit Perez. 3 out of the top 4. That gives me some confidence going into the rest of the series. But the Rockies? Damn.

Posted Image
Grasshopper, why are you frightened?
If you plant rice, rice will grow. If you plant fear, fear will grow.
Do not fear what you need not confront.
The time may come when the Nation will be threatened by an enemy from the mountains, but until that time, focus on the enemy at hand.
;)