Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

MLB Offseason News Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
397 replies to this topic

#201 KJD189

• 127 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:02 AM

Guillen, Royals reportedly agree to 3 year, $36 million dollar deal

[post="Link"]http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3140604[/post]

Theyd be better off trying to get Andruw Jones of Fukudome then this malcontent

#202 HighHeat

• smokes polls

• 3797 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

Guillen, Royals reportedly agree to 3 year, $36 million dollar deal

[post="Link"]http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3140604[/post]

This move is puzzling, to say the least.

Guillen has been with five teams in as many years, despite posting very respectable numbers along the way. He has had problems with teammates, managers or coaches at every stop, and the vast improvement in his offensive numbers coincides with his first known purchase of HGH in 2002.

I understand that the Royals generally have to overpay to sign FA's, but how is this guy worth a three year commitment at that kind of money? Really, what are the Royals thinking here?

No way this ends well for KC.

#203 Lukiewerle

• 267 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:26 PM

What's up with all the "Cliff Lee +" rumors floating around? First Lee + Shoppach for Bay, now this...
Link...

The Indians are discussing a deal in which they would obtain outfielder Alex Rios from the Blue Jays for outfielder Franklin Gutierrez and pitcher Cliff Lee. The addition of Lee could further motivate Toronto to consider dealing A.J. Burnett. . . .

This seems ridiculous.

Edited by Lukiewerle, 04 December 2007 - 12:26 PM.

#204 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

attempting to sum up the moves that are scattered throughout various threads:

in the winter meetings thread:
Elijah Dukes is traded from Tampa Bay to the Nationals for LHP Glen Gibson.
Nationals have traded RHP Jonathan Albaladejo to the Yankees for RHP Tyler Clippard.
Braves acquired LHP Will Ohman and IF Omar Infante from the Cubs for RHP Jose Ascanio.
Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis are headed to Detroit in exchange for Andrew Miller, Cameron Maybin, Mike Rabelo, Dallas Trahern, Blake Badenhop, and Eulogio de la Cruz.

Also, Jake Peavy's extension will net him $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and $17 million in 2012, with a $22 million option for 2013 or a $4 million buyout. (link)

Aki Iwamura will play 2nd base next season. (link)

Tigers traded Jose Cappellan to the Rockies for Denny Bautista. (link)

Braves designated old friend Willie Harris for assignment.
Twins outrighted Chris Basak to AAA Rochester (creating another spot on the 40-man roster...)
(link)

INF Chris Gomez signs a 1-year deal (worth $1 million) with the Pirates. (link)

Andy Pettitte will not only pitch next year; he actually wants to pitch in 09 as well (and perhaps another 8 years after that?)
"...after playing with the Astros and pitching with my elbow the way it was when I needed the surgery, I realize now I could go out and probably pitch until I'm 45 years old, because I was throwing 82, 83 miles an hour and still being able to compete" (link)
(As a Red Sox fan, I look forward to seeing his age 45 season.)

And of course, Miguel Cabrera actually lost 15 lbs. (link)

On a more serious note, Juan Lara has recovered from a lung injury after his car accident a week ago. However, he remains in critical condition with a fractured spine and severe brain trauma. (link)

Edited by cwright, 04 December 2007 - 08:42 PM.

#205 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 13388 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

The Rockies were selected as "Organization of the Year" by Baseball America:

"It's hard to imagine an organization having a year much better than what the Rockies just had," said Will Lingo, editor of Baseball America. "We knew they were bringing great talent through their farm system, but we certainly didn't expect it to pay off with big-league success so quickly. They won with homegrown players, have more talent on the way and have maintained stability in their front office, so they had pretty much everything we look for in an organization."

And the Rockies did it with a World Series roster that included 16 homegrown players, including rookie pitchers Ubaldo Jimenez and Franklin Morales - midseason call-ups the Rockies had turned to instead of bringing in veteran journeymen when rotation needs arose.

"We don't have any hired guns," first baseman Todd Helton said.

What an odd comment coming from Helton, recipient of one of the most lucrative contracts in the history of sport.

LINK

#206 Sea Dog

• 2126 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

I understand that the Royals generally have to overpay to sign FA's, but how is this guy worth a three year commitment at that kind of money? Really, what are the Royals thinking here?

No way this ends well for KC.

The Royals missed on a five-year, $70 million offer to Torii Hunter when the Angels came along, so they've been hunting for some OF hunt from the start. I love how GM Dayton Moore is not content with progress, he wants to win now. And he's convinced David Glass to spend money to do so.

Last year, the Meche signing looked downright miserable. But then the season began and it wasn't near the disaster everyone predicted. Here's hoping for the same luck with Guillen, who brings some power to a lineup that desperately needed it.

#207 Awesome Fossum

• 855 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

According to the Washington Post's Nationals Journal, it appears that the Nationals have identified the following targets to address their catching deficiency. In order:

Plan A: Trade for Arizona's Miguel Montero
Plan B: Sign Paul Lo Duca to a one-year deal
Plan C: Sign Damian Miller

The Nationals believe they are truly in the running for Paul Lo Duca.

Read the story - which says the first option is to trade for a left-handed hitting long-term project, Arizona's Miguel Montero - and then scroll down. Lo Duca would still be Plan B - a free agent signing that would only help in the short-term - but he would certainly be sexier than Damian Miller, who folks told me yesterday appeared to be the fall-back.

Lo Duca is an accomplished hitter and, as one official told me last night, "a gamer." Though his defensive skills have dwindled - or were never that good - he would add some punch to the lineup with quality at-bats.

The key here, as with all free agent dealings concerning the Nationals, is that they won't overpay. The thought is a one-year deal, and though my story says he could get $5 million a year - apparently the number Lo Duca's side was throwing around - officials from some teams were skeptical he would cost that much.

I can't imagine that Lo Duca wouldn't be able to land a multi-year contract. The Nationals like Montero because he bats left-handed, which would allow them to pair Montero with Jesus Flores, and let the two push each other.

Edited by Awesome Fossum, 05 December 2007 - 12:02 PM.

#208 JodyReedFan

• 320 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:59 PM

Tim Naehring joins the Yankees as a scout

This news would've hurt more in 1998. Figures the Yanks pick up Naehring, they've got Tony Pena already. All they need to do is sign Jody Reed, Carlos Quintana and Mike Boddicker to stab me in the heart even more..

edit: im an idiot.

Edited by JodyReedFan, 05 December 2007 - 03:00 PM.

#209 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

OF Buck Coats traded to Toronto from Cincinnati for PTBNL or cash. (speed and some IF experience; likely bench option)
(link)

Brewers designated OF Laynce Nix for assignment.
(link)

Phillies' ideas of re-signing Tad Iguchi to play 3B are complicated by the fact that he can't play for them until May (since they released him in November) without Iguchi's agent obtaining a waiver from MLB. Iguchi reportedly doesn't want to sit out the first month of the season. (link)

An update in the Salty saga: Jarrod will play all of 2008 as a catcher, but may begin at AAA (with Laird catching in the majors). (link)

David Riske signs 3-year, $13 million deal with Milwaukee. (The deal also includes incentives for closing games and a $4.75 million option for 2011, making it worth up to $20 million.) (link)

LHP Dave Williams (2 games with the Mets in 2007) will pitch for Yokohama in Japan next year. (link)

D'Backs manager Doug Melvin said that 2006 1st rounder pitcher Max Scherzer could win a rotation spot coming out of spring training and that Micah Owings may play some 1st base next year. (link)

Julian Tavarez is hoping to be traded to an NL team so he can start. (link)

Astros' pitching prospect Brad James has a fractured right foot and will undergo surgery; should be ready for spring training. (link)

#210 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

Detroit will send former slugging first baseman Chris Shelton to Texas in exchange for outfielder Freddy Guzman. The trade won't be formally announced until after Thursday's Rule 5 Draft due to 40-man roster considerations…

Shelton, 27, spent the entire 2007 season at Triple-A Toledo, where he batted .269 with 14 home runs and 65 RBIs. He was designated for assignment last week to help make room for Kenny Rogers and reliever Francisco Cruceta on the 40-man roster. Detroit had 10 days to trade, release or outright him to the Minors if he had passed through waivers.

Guzman, who will turn 27 next month, is a speedy center fielder who spent parts of three different seasons in the big leagues with San Diego and Texas. He batted .269 in 133 games this past season with 22 doubles, four home runs, 34 RBIs and 56 stolen bases for Triple-A Oklahoma, leading the Pacific Coast League in steals.
http://detroit.tiger...e...sp&c_id=det

#211 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:36 AM

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times believes the Mariners may have upped their offer to Hiroki Kuroda from three years to four years on Wednesday.

If the Mariners went to four years on Kuroda -- it was rumored that they were at $44 million for four years a couple of days ago, but that's now believed to be untrue -- then the Dodgers are likely to follow suit. Those two are the favorites for the Japanese right-hander.

http://www.rotoworld...t/home_MLB.aspx

#212 Sea Dog

• 2126 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

Re: Tigers, looks like the D-Train might leave Detroit before the season begins. Apparently the Marlins insisted the Tigers, who didn't necessarily want him because of salary limitations, take him. So now they could flip him and add some prospects to help with the loss of six from the trade to get Cabrera and Willis.

http://www.fannation...mors/view/29431

#213 Awesome Fossum

• 855 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

Despite having Ryan Zimmerman playing everyday at third, and Dmitri Young and Nick Johnson to play first, the Nationals have signed Aaron Boone, according to The Washington Post's Nationals Journal:

I fell down on pursuing this one, but the Nationals signed infielder Aaron Boone to a one-year, $1 million contract that includes incentives.

Boone can still hit, I just don't understand where he's going to find at-bats. Bob Boone is the Nationals assistant GM, which undoubtedly had something to do with it.

Edited by Awesome Fossum, 06 December 2007 - 12:32 PM.

#214 LoweSox

• Welches on Fantasy Baseball Dues

• 1680 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Not nearly the guy he was in Cleveland before Tommy John, but cough:

Nationals released LHP Billy Traber.

#215 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Jay Gibbons admitted to using HGH and was suspended 15 games in 2008. (link)
Jose Guillen was suspended 15 games in 2008 for violating the league's drug policy. However, MLB announced that Scott Schoeneweis, Troy Glaus, Gary Mathews, Jr., and Rick Ankiel will NOT be suspended due to insufficient evidence. (link)

Milton Bradley agreed to a 1-year deal with the Padres for $3.5-4 million. (link)

RP Matt Kinney (Giants in 2007) agreed to a 1-year deal with the Seibu Lions. (link)
3B Scott Seabol (32, Marlins' AAA team in 2007: .300/.366/.577) will play for the Hiroshima Carp. (link)

Jay Marshall heads back to the A's: claimed off waivers by the A's, who had lost him to the Red Sox last month in a waiver claim. (link)

Augie Ojeda (DBacks' 2nd baseman subbing for Orlando Hudson) agreed to a 1-year deal for $550,000. (link)

Ryan Langerhans signed a minor league deal with the Nationals.
Chan Ho Park signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers. (link)

A's designated RHP Jose Garcia for assignment. (link)

SP Justin Jones was released by the Nationals: apparently he blew out his knee playing basketball this winter. (link)

Phillies released RHP Julio Mateo.
Royals released RHP Colby Lewis.
Reds released infielder Jorge Cantu.
Cards released OF So Taguchi.
Pirates released second baseman Jose Castillo.
Blue Jays released Ryan Houston. (link)

Finally, some exciting news:
Agent Jeff Borris said free agent Barry Bonds is still aiming to play in 2008. (link)

#216 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6256 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

Pirates trade Salomon Torres to Brewers for a pair of pitching prospects, Marino Salas and Kevin Roberts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...7&fext=.jsp

#217 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

The Rockies, clearing payroll as they try to sign Tadahito Iguchi, are on the verge of trading infielder Jamey Carroll to the Indians for a minor-leaguer, according to major-league sources.

Carroll will fill the Indians' need for a utility infielder. He is due to receive $2.15 million in 2008. Last season he batted .225 with two home runs and 22 RBIs in 108 games for Colorado.

http://msn.foxsports...b/story/7538008

In a trade that will be announced Saturday, the Indians have picked up Jamey Carroll from the Rockies for a player to be named.

Despite frequent mentions, pitcher Sean Smith will not be the player going the other way. Carroll will serve in a utility role in Cleveland. Josh Barfield could open the season in Triple-A unless dealt.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 07 December 2007 - 11:09 PM.

#218 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

Unable to come to terms with the Rays, Michael Barrett is accepting the Padres' offer of arbitration.

Barrett still could be traded to the Rays, Pirates or another team. The Padres aren't excited about the possibility of paying him $4 million-$5 million to split time with Josh Bard, but they were hoping to get two draft picks for him.

#219 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

LHP Ron Mahay declined the Braves' offer of arbitration.

The Braves will get a supplemental first-round pick when Mahay signs elsewhere. The Yankees, Royals, Rays, Giants and Astros are believe to have submitted bids.

#220 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

"Jamey Carroll to Indians for PTBNL" will be announced Saturday. (PTBNL will not be Sean Smith, but no word yet on who is being sent to the Rockies.) (link)

Braves waived Lance Cormier to give him unconditional release. (link)

Mike Timlin officially signed with the Sox for $3 million. (link)

Royals designated C Paul Phillips for assignment. (link)

Tigers outrighted Timo Perez to AAA. (link)

OF Larry Bigbie and RHP Travis Hughes (in addition to the previously mentioned LHP Dave Williams) have agreed to contracts with the Yokohama BayStars. (link)

Andy Phillips outrighted to AAA; Phillips rejected the assignment and is a free agent. (link)

Jose Guillen announced he will fight his 15-game suspension. (link)

RHP Justin James (27 years old; 3.79 ERA at AAA) was traded from Toronto to Cincinnati to complete the Buck Coats trade. (link)

Shawn Estes has reportedly agreed to a 2008 contract with the Padres. (link)

Coco Crisp "expects to start" in 2008, according to his agent. (link)

#221 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

HOUSTON -- Infielder Mark Loretta said Friday he will accept salary arbitration and return to the Houston Astros next season, while pitcher Trever Miller declined the offer because he wants at least a two-year deal.

http://sports.espn.g...o...&id=3146151

#222 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

Accepted arbitration:
Andy Pettitte, Mark Loretta, Michael Barrett

Declined arbitration:
Eric Gagne, Alex Rodriguez, Mike Cameron, Pedro Feliz, Ron Mahay, Livan Hernandez, LHP Trever Miller, Mike Piazza, Aaron Rowand, Shannon Stewart, Luis Vizcaino
(rotoworld)

Brandon Inge has asked to be traded. (link)

Yankees designated Bronson Sardinha for assignment (clearing a roster space for Pettitte).
Indians designated J.D. Martin for assignment. (link)

Eric Gagne has reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with Milwaukee worth "upwards of $10 million". (link)

Edited by cwright, 08 December 2007 - 10:47 PM.

#223 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 11650 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:10 AM

ESPN confirms the Gagne signing. 10 million, fucking unbelievable.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3146990

#224 LoweSox

• Welches on Fantasy Baseball Dues

• 1680 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:31 AM

Guess he really wanted to close.

That gives the Brewers a 7-8-9 of Linebrink/Riske-Torres-Gagne. They have McClung, too, I see, who was a former closing prospect before going through the gauntlet of sucktitude in Tampa. Not bad.

(Edit: Oh, and I guess Derrick Turnbow should be included in that mix somewhere, even though he's pretty blah.)

Edited by LoweSox, 09 December 2007 - 03:34 AM.

#225 SinCitySoxFan1973

• 324 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:50 AM

Guess he really wanted to close.

That gives the Brewers a 7-8-9 of Linebrink/Riske-Torres-Gagne. They have McClung, too, I see, who was a former closing prospect before going through the gauntlet of sucktitude in Tampa. Not bad.

(Edit: Oh, and I guess Derrick Turnbow should be included in that mix somewhere, even though he's pretty blah.)

Linebrink signed a 4/19mm deal with the CWS

#226 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9650 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

Unbelievable yes but at least he didn't accept arbitration from us. Now we can get our draft pick for him.

#227 Caspir

• 3291 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

I don't really see why this is an "unbelievable" signing. Two things can happen here. One is that he sucks. If so, he's gone at season's end and all it cost was money. If he has a good year he'll probably become a Type A, the Brewers will offer him arbitration and get two draft picks for him. Seems to me that this is precisely the type of move a team like Milwaukee should be making. Short term commitments for players who were previously successful to see if they can produce. I could understand the ire if it was a three year deal or something, but really, this is a solid move by a smaller market team.

#228 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20552 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:26 PM

Bradley to be a Ranger..

Rangers manager Ron Washington was asked at last week's Winter Meetings if he would be interested in free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley.

"I would be very comfortable with Milton Bradley," Washington said on Wednesday.

The manager is getting his wish. The Rangers have reached an agreement with Bradley on a one-year contract worth approximately $5 million plus incentives, according to Major League officials Sunday.

Link

#229 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

LaTroy Hawkins has agreed to a 1-year, $3.75 million contract with the Yankees (pending a physical). (link)

Brewers designated Kevin Mench for assignment. (link)

Trey Hillman's lineup will have DeJesus leading off, Guillen batting 4th, and Alex Gordon hitting 7th. (link)

Posted Image
Craig Hansen underwent a procedure for sleep apnea following the Arizona Fall League season. (link)

Jeff Fassero is planning a comeback at age 45, after announcing his retirement last spring. (He was last seen in the majors with the Giants, who cut him in May 2006.) (link)

Yankees will release Carl Pavano and re-sign him to a minor league deal. (link)

Padres, who had considered changing the dimensions at Petco Park, will NOT make any changes for 2008. (link)

#230 HCMarvel

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

Paul Lo Duca and the Nationals agree to a one year deal Link

#231 cwright

• 2294 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

Raul Padron has been suspended for 50 games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy. (Apparently it didn't help much: he batted .223/.269/.409 in Single A last year.) (link)

MLBPA has officially filed a grievance on behalf of Jose Guillen (for the 15-game suspension). Gibbons has chosen not to appeal. (link)

LoDuca's deal with the Nats is worth $5 million. (link)

Salomon Torres, who had been considering retirement after being traded, has told GM Bob Melvin that he will report to spring training. (link)

Kosuke Fukudome FINALLY confirmed that he'll play in the US next season. (link)

Tigers signed Timo Perez to a 1-year deal ($150,000 plus incentives making it worth up to $525,000). (link)

Brandon Donnelly will start throwing in a month, and hopes to pitch the last two months of next season. (link)

Brewers outrighted Laynce Nix to AAA and designated Matt Wise for assignment.
Brewers signed Eric Munson to a 1-year deal worth $525,000. (link)

Rockies signed Aaron Cook to a 3-year, $30 million extension (after next year's $4.5 million salary) plus a mutual option for 2012. (link)

Twins agreed to terms with Craig Monroe on a 1-year deal. (link)

A's outrighted Jay Marshall to AAA. (link)

#232 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

Free agent Hiroki Kuroda could decide between the Dodgers and Mariners as soon as Wednesday, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

Reports out of Japan suggest he's strongly leaning towards Los Angeles, though it apparently won't be a four-year deal. A club source told the Daily News that the Dodgers have stuck with their three-year offer worth about $30 million. Neither the Mariners nor Diamondbacks have gone to four years. However, the Mariners are believed to be offering a higher salary than the Dodgers. Dec. 11 - 10:07 pm et

#233 Fiskian Pole Shot

• 386 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

Fukudome to the Cubbies.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3151060

#234 Matthew M.

• 192 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

Padres sign Iguchi to a one year deal:

http://www.signonsan...me_to_cubs.html

#235 Jack Sox

• 3294 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:44 AM

Kuroda to the Dodgers.

Hiroki Kuroda reportedly informed the Hiroshima Carp on Tuesday night that he planned to sign with the Dodgers.
He's expected to leave for the U.S. as soon as Wednesday to take his physical and sign the contract, which is probably worth about $30 million for three years. At that price, he's no worse of a gamble than Carlos Silva or Kyle Lohse. Still, he's not a great bet to be more than a fourth starter and he could always turn out to be a Kaz Ishii or maybe even a Kei Igawa. Dec. 12 - 2:37 am et

http://www.rotoworld...g...506&id=4809

#236 joewoodfan

• 778 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

Kuroda to the Dodgers.

Some recent stats from the baseball cube

Kuroda

Yr Team Age Rec ERA G GS CG SH Sv IP HR9 BB9 K9 WHIP
2004 Hiroshima 29 7-9 4.65 21 14 7 1 0 147.0 1.04 1.78 8.45 1.47
2005 Hiroshima 30 15-12 3.17 29 11 1 0 0 212.2 0.72 1.78 6.98 1.06
2006 Hiroshima 31 13-6 1.85 26 18 7 2 1 189.1 0.57 1.00 6.85 1.00
2007** Hiroshima 32 12-8 3.56 26 7 179.2 1.00 6.18

And for comparison, here's Dice-K

Dice-K
Yr Team Age Rec ERA G GS CG SH Sv IP HR9 BB9 K9 WHIP
2004 Seibu 23 10-6 2.90 23 9 10 5 0 146.0 0.43 2.59 7.83 1.16
2005 Seibu 24 14-13 2.30 28 15 3 0 215.0 0.54 2.05 9.46 1.03
2006 Seibu 25 17-5 2.13 25 12 13 2 0 186.1 0.63 1.64 9.66 0.92

(Not sure why CG > GS in some instances, but there you go.)

** Taken from baseball-reference's bullpen page and japaneseballplayers.com I'll update if I can find more '07 stats.

Edited by joewoodfan, 12 December 2007 - 10:17 AM.

#237 UNCSoxFan5

• 842 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Olney's blog says the Cubs may non-tender Mark Prior today. http://insider.espn....me=olney_buster

#238 twoBshorty

• Has friends with cellos

• 1855 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

O's trade Tejada to Astros: http://www.baltimore...,0,378258.story

#239 JohnnyK

• 976 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

Yankees will release Carl Pavano and re-sign him to a minor league deal. (link)

Or not:
http://yankees.lhblo...chute/#comments

Here is what Pavano told The Hartford Courant: “I’d be giving up a lot of options if I signed a minor league deal.”

#240 pedro1918

• 2435 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

The Giants have acquired a new center fielder, and he will be in San Francisco for a long time. The team will announce this afternoon it has signed Aaron Rowand to a five-year contract.

SF Chronicle Link

#241 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

Crasnick: Cliff Floyd and Rays close to deal

#242 Mike in CT

• 2125 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:44 AM

Rangers non-tender Otsuka

http://www.rotoworld...g...7582&spln=1

#243 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20552 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:39 AM

The Rockies for some reason give Kip Wells a job..

Banking on their ability to turn a pitcher's career around, the Rockies agreed to a one-year deal with former Cardinals right-hander Kip Wells today, according to a source close to the situation. The deal is for around $3 million and should be officially announced Thursday or Friday.

Link

#244 Shawn O'Leary

• 697 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

Didn't see this elsewhere. The State of Illinois is considering purchasing Wrigley Field from the Cubs/Tribune Co.

http://www.chicagotr...0,2369448.story

#245 hescores21

• 692 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

ESPN reporting that Gammons says that the Twins have agreed to terms with SS Adam Everett.

#246 Awesome Fossum

• 855 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

The Nationals sign Rob Mackowiak and Red Sox legend Willie Harris. Press release:

The Washington Nationals today agreed to terms on one-year contacts with free agent left-handed hitting infielders/outfielders Rob Mackowiak and Willie Harris. Nationals Vice President/General Manager Jim Bowden made the announcements.

"With the additions of Mackowiak and Harris, I feel we will have one of the deepest and most balanced benches in the National League," said Bowden.

#247 Rico Brogna's Fan

• 44 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Shortstop David Eckstein agreed to terms with the Toronto Blue Jays on a one-year, $4.5 million contract on Thursday

ESPN

#248 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

This is not exactly the best thread for this, but it is news...and it shows how lucky RSN is to have Theo + running the Red Sox.

A few weeks after anointing Hunter Pence his No. 3 hitter, Astros manager Cecil Cooper indicated that Miguel Tejada would hit in that spot after being acquired from the Orioles.

What a mess the Astros' lineup is going to be at the start of the year. Lance Berkman, who is far and away the favorite to have the best OBP on the team, is getting knocked down to the cleanup spot. $100 million man Carlos Lee will hit fifth, and Pence, who was second on the team in OBP last year, gets dropped to sixth. Consider that if everyone were to play 162 games, those three would combine to get about 180 fewer plate appearances than Michael Bourn, Kaz Matsui and Tejada. How anyone can think it's a good idea to have the best players hitting below the worst baffles us.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 13 December 2007 - 10:23 PM.

#249 Rico Brogna's Fan

• 44 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

Rangers agree to deal with Japanese reliever Kazuo Fukumori

Stark: Floyd, Rays deal done

#250 pockmeister

• 262 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:56 AM

ESPN reporting that Gammons says that the Twins have agreed to terms with SS Adam Everett.

Everett deal done according to MLB.com - 1 year, $2.8m + incentives

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0...7&fext=.jsp