Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

MLB Offseason News Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
397 replies to this topic

#101 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 3935 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

I'd assume that Philly's aware of this and the signing's more to placate the fan base... I don't know, signings like these make me really really glad to root for a team that's too smart to make those type of deals.

Phillies' fans were clamoring for the club to resign JC Romero? Has it really gotten that bad over there?

#102 Asterisk

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

Todd Jones re-signs with Detroit.

1 year, $7 million.

http://www.sportingn...ic.php?t=303829

Man, if I'm the Sox I just offer Paps 5/50 and be done with it. This is ridiculous.

Phillies' fans were clamoring for the club to resign JC Romero? Has it really gotten that bad over there?

To be fair, he did put up good numbers with them in 70+ appearances. That being said, I wouldn't want him for any more than one year.

Edited by Asterisk, 12 November 2007 - 07:46 PM.

#103 ChipperBo

• 96 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

They're bullpen was an absolute disaster all season before they acquired him and he was an absolute rock for them down the stretch. They wouldn't even have come CLOSE to making the postseason if it weren't for his outstanding work out of the bullpen. This is what he gave the Phillies after they acquired him at the very end of June:

36.3 IP, 1.24 ERA, 31 K, 25 BB, 1 HR, 1.101 WHIP, 373 ERA+ in 51 Games.

I recognize that this is an extremely small sample size and I agree that they overpaid to re-sign him but one can understand why people in Philly wanted him re-signed. He also appeared in 24 of their last 33 games, and all three playoff games they played. He allowed 0 runs and 4 hits (7 walks though) in his final 20 regular season appearances.

Edit: He appeared in 51 total regular season games for the Phillies, Asterisk, he had 74 appearances total, 23 with the Sox.

Edited by ChipperBo, 12 November 2007 - 08:09 PM.

#104 Trotsky

• 763 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

Did you see his BABIP?
http://www.fangraphs...e...7&type=full

A reliever that walks almost a batter per inning and doesn't have an ERA above 5 is a freak anomaly.

#105 January

• PipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Wow. I mean, I suppose we can't talk to much, as Lester did pretty much the same thing, although Jon Lester is younger and there's more reason to expect improvement.

Check it out: Holy Peripherals Batman

The definition of 'Productively Wild' will have a picture of J.C. Romero.

#106 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6809 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

I wonder what'll happen when the time comes. Granted, it's a ways off, but I'd assume that the Sox take Paps to arbitration every year instead of giving him a 4-5 year deal to buy those out and delay his free agency.

We should find out this year. I don't think there's any chance that Paps isn't Super-2 arb elligible.

#107 iheartpetey

• 50 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

I agree with the other posters; I think there'll be people in Philly who look at Romero as a guy who they know gave them good results and put up good stats using measures like ERA. I can't imagine Philly's front office trying to use something like BABIP to try and justify the move to more casual fans (it sucks, but I think it's reality). If they sign him they get some good press, maybe get a marginal uptick in things like ticket sales, and maybe in their minds that's a partial justification (I'd assume they expect him to at least pitch decently going forward, though given his other numbers I wouldn't).

#108 CoolPapaBellhorn

• 933 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

We should find out this year. I don't think there's any chance that Paps isn't Super-2 arb elligible.

Really? According to this, he was at one year and sixty-four days of service coming into 2007, which would put him at 2 and 64 right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to be into the 120's after your second year before you could be considered for Super 2 status (it fluctuates every year, but I don't see how someone below 100 could qualify).

#109 swany

• 166 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

Twins get Craig Monroe from the Cubs for a PTBNL.
Link

Not really sure what this does for the Twins, Monroe was a non-tender cadidate and has a career .303 OBP so this seems like they are treading water here.

#110 January

• PipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

Twins get Craig Monroe from the Cubs for a PTBNL.
Link

Not really sure what this does for the Twins, Monroe was a non-tender cadidate and has a career .303 OBP so this seems like they are treading water here.

He hits well in the Metrodome, but that's about it. The trade is a no-brainer for the Cubbies, as they were probalby gonna non-tender him anyway, so the get SOMETHING this way. He's up for arbitration this year and made 4.8 last year. Did the twins really think he would get more than that as a FA in a market already full of outfielders? Good luck to Hinske if that is the case.

#111 swany

• 166 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

He hits well in the Metrodome, but that's about it. The trade is a no-brainer for the Cubbies, as they were probalby gonna non-tender him anyway, so the get SOMETHING this way. He's up for arbitration this year and made 4.8 last year. Did the twins really think he would get more than that as a FA in a market already full of outfielders? Good luck to Hinske if that is the case.

Last year he put up a .972 OPS in 13 AB in the Dome, but over the last three years he has a .721 OPS in 84 AB under the teflon sky. The only thing I can think of in the Twins defense is that they really need RH power if/when Torii Hunter signs elsewhere, but this is a really ineffecient way to go about it.
I also wonder what this means for the future of Jason Kubel who looked like he was going to get the starting job in LF after a great second half.

#112 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6809 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

Really? According to this, he was at one year and sixty-four days of service coming into 2007, which would put him at 2 and 64 right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to be into the 120's after your second year before you could be considered for Super 2 status (it fluctuates every year, but I don't see how someone below 100 could qualify).

If that's the case, then I'm wrong; I thought that the player needed 2 full years of ML service time and needed to be in the top 20% of players at his position. I was not aware that the time requirement included 2 yrs + an extra amont of time, I thought that the key point was performance in those first two seasons plus the extra. From this I can't even say how said performance is measured, except that I can't imagine a ratings system that doesn't have Paps as in the top 20% of relief pitchers.

Frankly, It's hard to sort out past service time; Cots only has Coco as having 3.158 yrs of ML service time, so even allowing for time on the DL or some other adjustment I don't think you can backtrack so easily to figure out how many yrs of service he had when the Sox got him (and he had just finished a year as a super 2). At the very least, Coco and Pap's first 3 yrs don't look horribly different on BR (allowing for Paps pitching and Coco being a position player)...

Edited by OCD SS, 13 November 2007 - 07:38 PM.

#113 Crazy Puppy

• 1762 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

If that's the case, then I'm wrong; I thought that the player needed 2 full years of ML service time and needed to be in the top 20% of players at his position. I was not aware that the time requirement included 2 yrs + an extra amont of time, I thought that the key point was performance in those first two seasons plus the extra. From this I can't even say how said performance is measured, except that I can't imagine a ratings system that doesn't have Paps as in the top 20% of relief pitchers.

Frankly, It's hard to sort out past service time; Cots only has Coco as having 3.158 yrs of ML service time, so even allowing for time on the DL or some other adjustment I don't think you can backtrack so easily to figure out how many yrs of service he had when the Sox got him (and he had just finished a year as a super 2). At the very least, Coco and Pap's first 3 yrs don't look horribly different on BR (allowing for Paps pitching and Coco being a position player)...

Super Two status has nothing do with performance. The pool of potential Super Twos is all the players with more than two years of service time but less than 3 full years. From that group, the top 1/6th (in terms of most service time) get the extra year of arb.

Crisp was a Super Two because he had 2 years and 158 days of ML service -- which is just shy of 3 years (172 days of service is considered a full year). With two years and 64 days, Papelbon has a shot but it's not that likely. Guys like Cano and Wang, who were brought up early in 2005 and never sent down, are shoo-ins to get the extra year of arb as Super Twos.

#114 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6809 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thanks CP.

#115 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

Royals send LH pitcher Danny Christensen to Detroit to complete the deal for Roman Colon. (Christensen is 24 years old, and spent last year in AA Wichita.)

2007 season stats: (you may want to avert your eyes)
140 2/3 IP, 3-15 record, 6.21 ERA
link

#116 mbsnmisc

• 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:45 AM

This is a pretty good breakdown of this years free agents by Keith Law. It is an ESPN Insider (free for a limited time) link so it will not last forever.

http://insider.espn..../...&id=3104954

#117 mcq0823

• 73 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

This is a pretty good breakdown of this years free agents by Keith Law. It is an ESPN Insider (free for a limited time) link so it will not last forever.

http://insider.espn..../...&id=3104954

I am a huge fan of Keith Law (and if you click under comments and post something he will actually join in the conversation). He is usually spot on and was last off-season

He seems to endorce Jorge at 3-4 yrs, while only saying Lowell is a good investment for 2 years. I have to think Jorge is going to be playing DH, and declining by the 3rd year of this contract. He is a good 2 yrs older then Lowell

#118 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

Rays exercised Al Reyes' option for 2008 ($2.3 million) and declined Greg Norton's $1 million option.
(link)

The Twins will only owe the Cubs a PTBNL for Craig Monroe if they sign him for less than he made in 07 ($4.8 million).
(link)

Royals designated Joe Nelson for assignment.
Blue Jays released outfielder John-Ford Griffin.
(link)

#119 CoolPapaBellhorn

• 933 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

And the first free agent to switch teams is... Randy Choate! Who had him in your office pool?

#120 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

some minor moves:
Padres signed OF Chip Ambres and RHP Adam Bass to minor league deals.
link

#121 kefkafloyd

• 111 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

I am a huge fan of Keith Law (and if you click under comments and post something he will actually join in the conversation). He is usually spot on and was last off-season

Keith Law lost all credibility with me this year with regards to his statements about Pedroia. I used to read him a lot though.

#122 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17253 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

EDIT: Nevermind.

Edited by DJnVa, 18 November 2007 - 12:07 AM.

#123 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2580 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

Keith Law lost all credibility with me this year with regards to his statements about Pedroia. I used to read him a lot though.

This is pretty dense. Prospects are hard to gauge. There are many outlets that give opinions on hundreds of prospects. They are all going to be wrong a lot. Ignoring a guy for being wrong on one player shows a complete lack of understanding of how hard it is to tell how a minor league players career is going to project. Baseball america didn't list Pedroia among the top 100 prospects in all of baseball before the season started, so Law was hardly alone. Are you going to ignore them too?

#124 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

Cesar Izturis's $5.45 million option for 2008 was declined by the Pirates ($300,000 buyout).
link
Hector Luna designated for assignment by Toronto.
link!
Peavy's Cy Young Award raises the price of his 2009 option from $8 million to $11 million.
linky
and as noted in another thread, Tadahito Iguchi has been released by Philadelphia.
linx
EDIT: more news...
Astros signed OF Yordany Ramirez to a 1-year contract. (23-year-old spent time last year in Padres' organization at A and AAA)
link
RHP Oscar Villareal was traded from Atlanta to Houston in exchange for OF Josh Anderson.
Villareal: 2006: 92.1 IP, 93 H, 37 ER, 27 BB, 55 K, 3.61 ERA, 1.30 WHIP
Anderson: 2006 stats: MLB: .358/.413/.403 in 67 at-bats; AAA: .273/.325/.340 (age 25, speedy LH hitter)
obligatory link

Edited by cwright, 16 November 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#125 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

as the conveyor of minor news, i offer today's installment:

Geoff Blum and the Astros have reportedly agreed on a contract. link
Toronto claimed OF Cody Haerther off waivers from St. Louis (age 24, LHH; good hitter with limited defensive skills) link
Twins waived catcher Chris Heintz. link
Tyler Walker signed a 1-year deal with the Giants (to avoid arbitration) for $750,000. link
Eric Chavez underwent yet another surgical procedure on Friday (3rd in 3 months) to remove damaged tissue from left shoulder; should be ready by spring training. link
Kenny Rogers fired his agent Scott Boras (who tried to involve other teams despite Rogers' instructions); is negotiating his own deal with the Tigers. link

#126 PrimusSucks626

• 412 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

Agent: Torrealba to the Mets

EDIT: Yes, I know this is in the Mets forum too, but this thread is a nice catch-all.

MLB Trade Rumors says that the deal broke down.

Yes, this is already in the Mets forum as well.

#127 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20319 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

Mariano Rivera’s arch nemesis creeps into the AL East.

Per Rotoworld

Blue Jays acquired infielder Marco Scutato from the A's for RHP Graham Godfrey and RHP Kristian Bell.

[no link yet]

EDIT: Update

Edited by rembrat, 18 November 2007 - 01:24 PM.

#128 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16316 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

After reading that first line I thought you were going to tell us that Bill Mueller was making a comeback.
Bill Mueller's kryptonite. Marco Scutaro's just some trick Brainiac or Luthor came up with on the spur of the moment.

#129 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

Here is a link with the official word on the A's--Jays deal.

Toronto traded for the veteran Marco Scutaro to fill one of its most pressing offseason needs. "This is a guy we've always liked and think is a major upgrade from what we've had in the past," Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said.

In order to acquire Scutaro, who is eligible for arbitration, Toronto sent 23-year-old right-handers Graham Godfrey and Kristian Bell to Oakland. Knowing the A's were ready to hand the utility job to Donnie Murphy, the Jays could've waited to see if Scutaro was non-tendered by Oakland, which would've made him a free agent.

Ricciardi said he preferred to trade for Scutaro at this point and that the Jays would try to negotiate a new contract for the utility infielder before reaching arbitration. Scutaro, who is now under Toronto's control through the 2009 season, made $1.55 million last year and could make roughly $2 million in 2008.

The addition of Scutaro likely brings an end to Toronto's search for help off its bench. Ricciardi said any other reserve players added to the Jays would probably be in-house solutions. Now, Toronto can turn its attention to finding a backup catcher and possibly adding some pitching depth.

Last season, Godfrey -- picked up by the Jays in the 34th round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft -- went 6-7 with a 3.98 ERA in 21 starts for Class A Lansing. He allowed 132 hits in 110 2/3 innings, striking out 74 and walking 36. Bell, who was selected in the 11th round of the 2004 Draft, spent last season with Class A Dunedin. In 22 appearances, including 11 starts, he went 3-7 with a 5.33 ERA, 46 strikeouts and 28 walks over 77 2 /3 innings.

"We needed to upgrade our talent in the Minor Leagues, and this was an opportunity to do that," Forst said.

Also on Sunday, the Jays sent infielder Hector Luna and Pedro Lopez outright to Triple-A Syrcause. Toronto also claimed outfielder Cody Haerther off waivers from St. Louis. Haerther, 24, spent most of '07 at Double-A, where he hit .289 with five homers and 28 RBIs in 37 games with Springfield.

http://toronto.bluej...c...sp&c_id=tor

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 18 November 2007 - 10:55 PM.

#130 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20319 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:48 AM

The Mets, overcoming stiff competition, reached a preliminary agreement Sunday night on a $25 million, four-year contract with Luis Castillo.

Mets re-sign Castillo

Edited by rembrat, 19 November 2007 - 12:49 AM.

#131 ScubaSteveAvery

• the goats! think of the goats!

• 6623 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:39 AM

Haven't seen this yet:

Glavine and the Braves have struck a deal (Link):

The 303-game winner returned to the Atlanta Braves on Sunday, agreeing to an $8 million, one-year contract.

#132 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6256 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

Just heard on WFAN - Angels trade Orlando Cabrera and cash to the ChiSox for Jon Garland.

Edit: to include link http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3118872

Edited by NYCSox, 19 November 2007 - 12:24 PM.

#133 MartyBarrettMVP

• 2134 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

Just heard on WFAN - Angels trade Orlando Cabrera and cash to the ChiSox for Jon Garland.

Linky

#134 amfox1

• 3272 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3118872

Linky goodness for the Cabrera-Garland trade.

#135 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14694 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

not sure I really understand that from either side, unless it's in preparation for a Tejada deal for the the Angels. who is going to be in the White Sox rotation next year?

#136 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16316 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

Agreed. Very weird. Cabrera was clearly their second best hitter last season, which says a lot about the crappy Angels offense as he should be about the 6th or 7th best on a championship team. Maybe this means Brandon Wood is going to get his shot. But this could also mean that another Cabrera will go to the Angels, Miguel.

#137 Tito's Pullover

• Lol boo ALS

• 1297 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Blue Jays acquired infielder Marco Scutato from the A's for RHP Graham Godfrey and RHP Kristian Bell.

Posted Image AND Posted Image ?

#138 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10048 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Phillies added infielder Brad Harman and catcher Jason Jaramillo to their major league roster on Monday.

The 22-year-old Harman hit .281 with 13 home runs, 26 doubles and 62 RBIs in 122 games for Class A Clearwater last season. He played 111 games at second base and 11 at shortstop. Signed as an amateur free agent in 2003, Harman played for Australia in the World Cup and hit .357 (10-for-28) with four doubles and two RBIs.

The 25-year-old Jaramillo hit .271 with six homers and 56 RBIs in 118 games for Triple-A Ottawa last season. The switch-hitting Jaramillo was a second-round draft pick by the Phillies in 2004.

http://sports.espn.g...o...&id=3119580

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 19 November 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#139 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Rangers purchased the contracts of LHP Matt Harrison, RHP Thomas Diamond, OF Brandon Boggs, and C Max Ramirez. (Rotoworld notes the lack of inclusion of P Jesse Ingram, a possible Rule 5 draft pick, who had 70 K, 43 hits in 62 IP at AA). Rangers also designated OF Victor Diaz for assignment.

Indians purchased the contracts of RHP Adam Miller, LHP Scott Lewis, LHP Reid Santos, C Wyatt Toregas, and LHP Tony Sipp.
Braves purchased the contracts of C Lou Palmisano, RHP Tim Dillard, INF Alcides Escobar and RHP Luis Pena.
Phillies purchased the contracts of C Jason Jaramillo and 2B Brad Harman.
link for above

Mariano Rivera accepts 3-year, $45 million offer from the Yankees. link

Catcher Jason LaRue signs with St. Louis on a one-year, $750,000 deal.
Dewon Brazelton and John Wasdin sign minor league deals with St. Louis. link

In a weird twist, RHP Warner Madrigal signed with the Rangers after being placed on the Angels' 40-man roster last month. Apparently the deadline for the Angels had already passed when they added him. link

#140 CoolPapaBellhorn

• 933 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

Looks like Kaz Matsui is the Astros' choice to replace Craig Biggio...

Link.

EDIT: Or not, according to Rosenthal.

Tadahito Iguchi, a free agent, is on the Astros' wish list. Kaz Matsui, another free agent, is more likely to stay with the Rockies or sign with the Cubs than join the Astros.

Edited by CoolPapaBellhorn, 20 November 2007 - 11:51 AM.

#141 OrvilleOverall

• 49 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Indians Sign Kobayashi to two year contract with a player option

CLEVELAND -- The Indians are scouring baseball's open market for pitchers who can bolster their bullpen, and they went all the way across the Pacific to find one.

Japanese free-agent right-hander Masahide Kobayashi was signed to a two-year Major League contract with an option for 2010 on Tuesday, adding back-end depth to the Tribe's bullpen.

Not that Kobayashi, your hot dogs are still safe.

Edited by OrvilleOverall, 20 November 2007 - 02:00 PM.

#142 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Mets acquired Johnny Estrada from the Brewers for Guillermo Mota.
Phillies acquired Chris Snelling from Devil Rays for cash considerations. (By my count, that makes 5 teams in 12 months.)
Pirates claimed Jimmy Barthmaier off waivers from the Astros.
Astros signed Geoff Blum for $1.1 million with a 2009 option.
Cardinals released RHP Andy Cavazos and RHP Brian Falkenborg
Tigers sent LHP Danny Christensen outright to AAA
White Sox designated Scott Podsednik for assignment
Blue Jays designated OF Cody Haerther for assignment
Braves designated Pete Orr for assignment
Yankees signed RHP Scott Patterson to a one-year contract
linky goodness

contracts purchased (i.e. players added to 40-man rosters): (link)
Twins: INF Matt Tolbert, INF Matt Macri, RHP Bobby Korecky
Red Sox: 1B/OF Chris Carter, SS Argenis Diaz
Cardinals: RHP Mark Worrell, RHP Kyle McClellan, RHP Jason Motte, RHP Mike Parisi, INF Jarrett Hoffpauir
Braves: RHP Charlie Morton, RHP Zach Schreiber, RHP Jairo Cuevas
Marlins: OF Jai Miller, RHP Scott Nestor
Athletics: INF Gregorio Petit, RHP Jeff Gray, C Landon Powell, OF Richie Robnett, RHP Henry Rodriguez
Yankees: C Francisco Cervelli, RHP Jeffrey Marquez, RHP Steven White
White Sox: RHP Jack Egbert, RHP Lucas Harrell, RHP Adam Russell, C Cole Armstrong
Blue Jays: LHP David Purcey
Astros: RHP Brad James, RHP Samuel Gervacio, RHP Chad Reineke.

#143 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7487 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Boy, I know Estrada had fallen from grace as it were, but straight up for Guillermo Mota? They couldn't get more than that for a competent catcher with a little bit of pop?

Interesting. What am I not seeing?

#144 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

Jason Kendall agrees to terms with the Brewers (pending physical). link

White Sox re-signed 2B/OF Jason Bourgeois (minor league free agent). (link)

more 40-man roster additions:
Diamondbacks: 1B Javier Brito, C Wilkin Castillo RHP Esmerling Vasquez
Reds: LHP Tyler Pelland, RHP Richie Gardner, RHP Daryl Thompson, RHP Ramon Ramirez, SS Paul Janish, C Craig Tatum
Rockies: RHP Pedro Strop, RHP Esmil Rogers
Giants: 2B Travis Denker, OF John Bowker, OF Clay Timpner, RHP Kelvin Pichardo (NOT LH reliever Jesse English)
Mariners: 2B Yung-Chi Chen, RHP Joseph Woerman
Pirates: SS Brian Bixler, RHP Olivo Astacio and RHP Ronald Belisario
Devil Rays: OF Jason Pridie, C John Jaso, LHP James Houser, OF Fernando Perez
Royals: C Matt Tupman, INF Mario Lisson, LHP Tyler Lumsden and RHP Julio Pimentel (NOT Chris Lubanski)
link

Dodgers sent LHP Michael Megrew to AAA.
Padres signed Marshall McDougall and Edgar Gonzalez to minor league contracts.
Tigers signed Dane Sardinha to a minor league deal.
Pirates designated Josh Phelps and Josh Sharpless for assignment.
(as noted in another thread) Devil Rays designated Brian Stokes and Jon Switzer for assignment.
Royals designate 1B Craig Brazell, 1B Wes Bankston and LHP Paul Mildren for assignment; sent Roman Colon to AAA and signed him to a minor league deal.
(same link

#145 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:33 PM

Boy, I know Estrada had fallen from grace as it were, but straight up for Guillermo Mota? They couldn't get more than that for a competent catcher with a little bit of pop?

Interesting. What am I not seeing?

Apparently his defense (specifically his arm) is bad, and his .278/.296/.403 line isn't anything special, but it seems like the Brewers got fleeced: they took on the $3.2 million Mota is owed as well. (Reportedly the Mets may non-tender Estrada if they pick up a better catcher before next month!) I think I'm missing something too...

#146 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14451 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Seattle has made its pitch to Japanese ace Hiroki Kuroda and will wait to see what his decision is.

Link

Edited by RedOctober3829, 21 November 2007 - 06:23 PM.

#147 Chicago Blue

• 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

I think Estrada had something like the lowest percentage of baserunners thrown out of any regular catcher.

#148 cwright

• 2293 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

minor league signings:
Yankees: OF CJ Henry
Rangers: 3B Ryan Roberts

Cardinals claimed outfielder Cody Haerther off waivers from Toronto.
Rangers re-signed infielder Ramon Vazquez to a one-year contract worth $810,000.
link

#149 RedSoxinIsrael

• 1150 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

Wood reoprtedly back to Cubs:

According to ESPN Radio 1000, the Cubs have signed Kerry Wood to a one-year contract worth $4 million.

If true, Wood may have turned down multi-year offers from other teams to remain in Chicago. General manager Jim Hendry said previously that he was only interested in retaining Wood as a reliever, so he could get a chance to close.

#150 HCMarvel

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

Wood reoprtedly back to Cubs:

I would have taken Wood at 4 million for one year but what the hell. If he is going to have a bounce-back / comeback year, the Cubs kinda deserve to be the beneficiaries I suppose.