Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

10/12 ALCS Game 1 -- Beckett vs. Sabathia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1360 replies to this topic

#51 Jim Ed Rice in HOF

• Red-headed Skrub child

• 1294 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Good God, except for Eric Byrnes, who does AZ have that's fun to watch?

The only time I'd have fun watching Eric Byrnes is if he was getting run over by the Green Line.

#52 BigPapiLumber Co.

• 616 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

The only time I'd have fun watching Eric Byrnes is if he was getting run over by the Green Line.

Oh, I've had a great time watching Byrnes ... run right past home plate!

Oh ... and hit the ball, throw the ball, catch the ball, don't be lolligaggers ... WIN!

#53 PayrodsFirstClutchHit

• 2929 posts

I am already in "The skankess lost, this is all gravy" mode for the remainder of the post season.

No stress. No worries. No problem.

Bring it on!

#54 jpesky6

• Respects All Penises

• Pip
  • 94 posts

I'm totally psyched about this game! IMO, it'll come down to which starting pitcher can go the longest. As long as Beckett brings his A game and we scrape a couple of runs off CC Turkishbathia, a victory is well within our grasp.

#55 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9481 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

I am already in "The skankess lost, this is all gravy" mode for the remainder of the post season.
Bring it on!

Fuck you guys. Where's the fire?

I want to win and I don't care if it costs blood.

#56 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

I know he has some history with the Red Sox, but he busts his ass on every play, makes some incredible catches, even finishes his HRs something like Manny. I like a guy that runs out everything (hello Julio Lugo).

#57 BigPapiLumber Co.

• 616 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

Bring it on!

Wait for it ... it's coming! Oh am looking forward to responses to this ... good fun!

#58 Rangerrob

• 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

Oh, I've had a great time watching Byrnes ... run right past home plate!

I always thought that play as Varitek making a hell of a kick save.

Been calling Byrnes "ChowdahHead" ever since he stumbled about behind the plate.

#59 Barbara

• 3128 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

One game at a time. One win at a time. Powerful I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery from Sprowl. We are rested, relaxed and ready to rumble.

Thoughts from the mistake on the lake Cleveland Plain Dealer.

'October is a month when lore and legend are written in baseball. It's a time when heroes are exalted and the unfortunate few (Bill Buckner) are burdened with unshakeable infamy.

Game 1 is understandably viewed as a duel between the American League's two best pitchers, C.C. Sabathia of the Indians and Josh Beckett of the Red Sox. Tonight's outcome rests heavily on their multi-million dollar arms.

Yet who else will step into the limelight?

One of the admirable qualities of this Indians team is its lack of star power. Whether it was created by accident or design, it's a lineup that is well-balanced. The key hit can -- and has -- come as easily from the bottom of the order as it can from the top.'

I want the whole enchildada!

Posted Image

Let's

W I N !!

#60 Andrew

• 9481 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

#61 Andrew

• 9481 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:10 PM

One of the admirable qualities of this Indians team is its lack of star power. [/b]

People keep saying this... but, I dunno, maybe it's the fantasy manager in me but Hafner, Sizemore, and Martinez are all first rounders in any fantasy draft. Sabathia was a top tier pitcher going into this year who only solidified that reputation, and everyone and their mother knew Carmona was a stud sleeper pick.

I just don't buy that they don't have stars.

#62 hunter05

• 4774 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

The Indians don't lack star power, at all. It kind of boils down to what Andrew said, their stars are a product of smart trades/steals/solid drafting and a good farm system. Sabathia, Carmona, Sizemore, Hafner, Martinez and Betancourt are all big time players, whether they get their due or not. The whole Names vs No names is a very easy story for the media and casual fan to latch onto, but its just simply not true. If anything, this whole storyline will put a chip on their shoulders, which makes me uneasy.

#63 hunter05

• 4774 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

http://www.theclevel...opic.php?t=4147

And this is absolutely hilarious.

#64 hunter05

• 4774 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Also apparently someone on that message board thought that Sons of Sam Horn was a reference to the Son of Sam killer and was a stab at NY and Yankee fans. Enjoyable

#65 Andrew

• 9481 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Evidently jose's humor is over their head.

#66 LiveAndDieWithTheSox

• 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

The Sons of the Sons of Sam Horn:

Posted Image

WIN!

#67 FoulketoMinky

• 798 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

People keep saying this... but, I dunno, maybe it's the fantasy manager in me but Hafner, Sizemore, and Martinez are all first rounders in any fantasy draft. Sabathia was a top tier pitcher going into this year who only solidified that reputation, and everyone and their mother knew Carmona was a stud sleeper pick.

I just don't buy that they don't have stars.

Depends on your definition of "stars". They are great ball players, but I don't think they would be "household" baseball names like a Jeter or Ortiz. None of their players "transcend" the game.

Wow, there's a lot of quotation marks in that post.

#68 TeddyBallgame9

• 188 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

Depends on your definition of "stars". They are great ball players, but I don't think they would be "household" baseball names like a Jeter or Ortiz. None of their players "transcend" the game.

Wow, there's a lot of quotation marks in that post.

Guys, it's not the PLAYERS, it's the CITY. Cleveland is a shithole that nobody in America cares about. Put those same no-names into a city that people actually visit once in a while and they'd have plenty of star power.

#69 patman

• 466 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

The Sons of the Sons of Sam Horn:

Posted Image

WIN!

Rufus is ROFL:
Posted Image

He is also licking his lips in anticipation of tonight's ass kicking of the Indians at the hands of the Boston Red Sox
Posted Image

#70 Rangerrob

• 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

More I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery for tonights game. My wife wrote an article for the playoffs to the Maine Sunday Telegram, it will be run in the Maine Voices of this Sunday's paper. Yes I realize how Lucky I am to have a spouse that loves baseball. :c070:

-------------------------------------------------------
A Literary Gal's Love of Baseball

I love baseball for the same reasons I love Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare's plays for the writing, the poetry, the passion, the pathos in them. In Shakespeare's plays there are characters that make you laugh, cry, or wrinkle your nose in disgust or contempt. Mostly though, I love Shakespeare because he makes me believe in the possibility that things might be different. Every time I watch Romeo and Juliet or King Lear, despite myself, some part of me wants to believe that maybe this time the story will end differently. It is the ability to take the viewer down this path again and again that is part of Shakespeare's genius. So it is with baseball fans, especially for long-suffering fans (and to be clear, that is anyone but New York Yankee fans), who believe in the poetry and the passion of the game, and above all, believe in the possibility of success, despite a history of past failures.

It is October now, so we are in the most dramatic part of the season: the playoffs. The drama and possibilities are bigger now, more consequential. But what I love about baseball isn't the big drama, the heady possibility of winning the pennant or the World Series. I am in love with the fact that there are possibilities in every single play in baseball. Every match up between a pitcher and batter is rife with possibility. Will he hit a home run? Will he strike out? Will someone steal a base? Will the batter bunt? What if someone makes an error? The possibilities for joy and sorrow are endless. An at bat can be as short as one pitch, or as long as 10. It is a mini-drama dozens of times a game.

Everything is possible in baseball – no hitters, shut outs, come from behind victories. It doesn't matter if you know what any of those words mean – what matters is that some of those things are damn near impossible, if not just plain old improbable – yet they happen, and when they do we are inspired, awed, and thrilled. Baseball embodies the American ethic. It is Horatio Alger's "Rags to Riches" story – not just for individual players, but for teams as well. Because anything is possible in baseball – even the most unlikely of teams can come out on top, the Davids can beat the Goliaths, miracles can happen. This leads me to the conclusion that the experience of being a baseball fan is 50% "nationalism" and 50% faith. Nationalism, it can be argued, is the root of all war, strife and bad behavior – that is the dark side of being a fan. It is what makes Red Sox fans yell things like "Yankees suck," and otherwise kind and level-headed people act like vindictive lunatics. Faith in possibility, however, is the part of being a fan that lifts us up and makes us better people.

Then there are the players themselves: like a great performance by an actor or musician, or a favorite piece of work by artist or writer, watching an amazing athlete can be as inspiring. I love watching outfielders make graceful dives or incredible leaps. When they make the play you are in awe; when they don't, you can allow that they're only human. The crack of the bat, the beauty of a homerun swing, speed on the base path – it is all there – skill, strategy, drama, nuance – possibility. Baseball is a brainy game, a game for unapologetic skeptics, for wanna-be believers.

And yet, it is only baseball, a game, a past time. It's not more important than world peace, or solving important social problems, but when it is played well, and you allow yourself to get caught up in the drama, the nuance, the possibility of it all – like a good Shakespeare play, you leave the experience richer for it.

-----------------------------------

Edit: Font/Size issues

Edited by Rangerrob, 12 October 2007 - 03:13 PM.

#71 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3133 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

TOKEN PINKY BOOTY SHORTS GIRL

Posted Image

#72 Barbara

• 3128 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

More I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery for tonights game. My wife wrote an article for the playoffs to the Maine Sunday Telegram, it will be run in the Maine Voices of this Sunday's paper. Yes I realize how Lucky I am to have a spouse that loves baseball. :c070:

A Literary Gal's Love of Baseball[/font]
And yet, it is only baseball, a game, a past time. It's not more important than world peace, or solving important social problems, but when it is played well, and you allow yourself to get caught up in the drama, the nuance, the possibility of it all – like a good Shakespeare play, you leave the experience richer for it.

-----------------------------------

Edit: Font/Size issues

Well done Mrs Ranger! ... Rob you ought to get her to post in here on a regular basis.

#73 January

• PipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

It's not like the slackers even HAVE a game thread.

#74 patman

• 466 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

More I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery for tonights game. My wife wrote an article for the playoffs to the Maine Sunday Telegram, it will be run in the Maine Voices of this Sunday's paper. Yes I realize how Lucky I am to have a spouse that loves baseball. :)

A Literary Gal's Love of Baseball

...Every match up between a pitcher and batter is rife with possibility. Will he hit a home run? Will he strike out? Will someone steal a base? Will the batter bunt? What if someone makes an error? The possibilities for joy and sorrow are endless. An at bat can be as short as one pitch, or as long as 10. It is a mini-drama dozens of times a game...

Very nice - summed up all that is beautiful about baseball. :)

FOX needs to read the paragraph I excerpted there a few times and maybe realize that the real drama is on the field and just let the game tell the story for a change :c070:

---

One more Puppy Post I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery posting:p

Cleveland trying to score runs off of Beckett is going to be like you trying to get a rawhide chew away from Rufus:

#75 doc

• 2599 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

It's not like the slackers even HAVE a game thread.

That's not even a real board.

#76 franklgl

• 347 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

What time exactly is the first pitch scheduled for? 7:37 or something?

#77 Pork Fried Jim Rice

• 593 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

7:07

#78 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7525 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

I am thrilled for this game. It promises to be outstanding.

I know this is a sports board, but while awaiting the first pitch, I invite you to check out the Layer Tennis match going on today. Harrington versus Anderson, at layertennis.com. It's a fascinating game.

I liked week one the best.

Anyway, win behind Beckett.

#79 January

• PipPip
  • 2158 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

7:07
This:

Posted Image
NOT
Posted Image

See, big diff.
Edit:Dang, scooped.

Edited by January, 12 October 2007 - 04:15 PM.

#80 patman

• 466 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Edit:Dang, scooped.

Yes, but yours has more style :c070:

#81 redsoxfan1776

• 77 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

WIN!

Sis is married off (only she would choose a date in the middle of the ALDS), so I'm back now and able to concentrate on my real true love, the Red Sox!

#82 doc

• 2599 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

SonOfSAMHORN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys/gals...

Just wanted to let you all know real Red Sox fans are not talking as if your racists. Thats just plain stupid. Thats like you saying our town is racist which I'm sure any town has racists in it not just Boston.

This series is going to be a sweet series. I expect a 6 or 7 game series back and forth. Both of our teams has great pitching. The only place that we prevail in is our Offense and Home field. I was acc one of the Red Sox fans rooting for you guys to beat NY so we can face the best to get into the WS. Wouldnt want it any other way. Congrads on beating the Spankees. It was great to watch

(P.S. It was the knats fault) LOL I love hearing that from Yanks fans.

By the way I do not post on SonsofSamHorn.com even though I wish I could. They have a waiting list that Ive been on for a long time now.

This is Imgran I know it it has to be

#83 trotsplits

• 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

My thoughts exactly. Ugh.

#84 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

TOKEN PINKY BOOTY SHORTS GIRL

Posted Image

Thank you opes. One booty trumps three dogs. This computer I'm on now is retarded with respect to posting pictures. No toolmap at all. I even have to "import" smilies from Patsfans.com. But, yeah, no disrespect to dogs, but booty got us this far! Well, I think it did anyway, although Josh, David, Paps, and the rest might have had something to do with it too. :c070:

#85 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

I'd say no. Imgran uses better grammar and spelling than that.

#86 doc

• 2599 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'd say no. Imgran uses better grammar and spelling than that.

I don't know I've seen alot of posts by him as I'm over at RSN as well. It's the Hi Guys/Gals thing...

#87 Yazdog8

• 3895 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me." "That's Crom, strong on his mountain."

CONAN I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery!

BECKETT WILL IMPRESS EVEN CROM WITH HIS OUTING!

WIN!!!

#88 LiveAndDieWithTheSox

• 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Not to belabor this, but at this point it’s too tough to call as to which way it’s gonna go. There’s
a good team over there in the visitor’s clubhouse and they didn’t come here to go home.
They’re gonna put it all on the line.

When you look back on the year, when it’s all said and done, what it comes down to is right now.
The Sox have come together as a team, and they seem to be peaking at just at the right time.
They’ve worked hard on their skills, and they’ve beaten some tough teams to get to where they
are. It all comes down to this.

The Sox have come to play, they’ve come to win, and they know what they need to do. A homer
scores a run, so they need to get fired up and stay calm under pressure. Just break it down,
focus on the basics and do what they do to put the most runs on the scoreboard. If they can do
that they have a good chance of coming away with the win.

We, the fans, will be willing them to victory, channeling our I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery to help the Sox play to the best
of their abilities. We know what this team is capable of, so let’s all focus, stay in the moment, and

WIN!

Get 'im, Rufus!
Posted Image

Edited by LiveAndDieWithTheSox, 12 October 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#89 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3133 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

Fox pregame is super exciting. Everytime I see Youks in an interview, I cant imagine him not being asskickers anonymous. Guy always looks like he wants to bite someone in the face.

#90 Doooweeeey!

• 917 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Win at bats.
Win innings.
Win the game.
Win the series.

WIN.

#91 doc

• 2599 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

More Conan I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery

Tito: We won again this is good but what is best in baseball?
Kielty: The roar of the crowds and the smells of Fenway in October
Tito: Wrong, Papi what is best in baseball
Papi: To crush their pitches, to burn their bullpen and to hear the lamentation of their fans.
Tito: That is Good! That is Good.

#92 ColoradoJack

• 403 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

we'll know if it is imgran if he gets his post count to 500 by games end....

#93 Yazdog8

• 3895 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

More Conan I am unoriginal and unfunny. Please put me out of my misery
Tito: We won again this is good but what is best in baseball?
Kielty: The roar of the crowds and the smells of Fenway in October
Tito: Wrong, Papi what is best in baseball
Papi: To crush their pitches, to burn their bullpen and to hear the lamentation of their fans.
Tito: That is Good! That is Good.

Crom would be pleased.

#94 YouLookAdopted

• 999 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

Say it best, with a Venn diagram...

Posted Image

#95 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9274 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

Back to square 1. Beckett for 9. Grind down Sabathia.

Do not, however, grind down the server.

Posted Image

WIN.

#96 opes

• Doctor Tongue

• 3133 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

Random weird baseball fact for the day:

Rickey Henderson constantly spoke in the 3rd person.
Also, teammates have reported seeing Henderson standing naked in front of a mirror before a game, practicing his swing, and declaring, "Rickey's the best! Rickey's the best!"

Now you know.

#97 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7525 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

from theclevelandfan

Man, we really need to take advantage of Varitek, Crisp, Keilty and Lugo.

They're not exactly the same caliber as the yankees bottom four.

Ouch. Still, I would wager that these four will outperform the line of .231/.322/.365 put up by the guys who took those at bats for the Yanks. Basically, Cano had a good series and no one else did.

I expect, from our bottom four, something more like .250/.350/.400, or basically Varitek's season.

#98 njingles3

• 853 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hey guys. Since I'm five hours ahead of EST, I've already had the pleasure of watching tonight's game.

Don't worry - we win, and Manny will make his early case for ALCS MVP. You'll see.

#99 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22678 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

I'd take off my pants but it has gotten cold in the last 24 hours...

#100 acf69

• 118 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Haven't been this excited for a playoff game since 2004