Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Unsigned Draft Pick Compensation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 SouthPaw21

• 1,220 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Below is a portion of an article over at Baseball America. Based on what this is saying it sounds like the Red Sox should be getting some type of compensation for not signing second round pick Hunter Morris. Is this true? and if so, what type of compensation do the Red Sox receive?

The new draft rules, which included a signing deadline and improved compensation for unsigned picks in the first two rounds, were designed to drive down bonuses, and bonus recommendations were down 10 percent this year. We’re still sorting through all the numbers in the first 10 rounds, but with the flurry of late signings that were above the recommended slot, despite the new rules and all of MLB’s posturing and memos . . . the average first-round bonus went up.

LINK

#2 JoeyBelle

• 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Below is a portion of an article over at Baseball America. Based on what this is saying it sounds like the Red Sox should be getting some type of compensation for not signing second round pick Hunter Morris. Is this true? and if so, what type of compensation do the Red Sox receive?

LINK

Also from BA:

If a team doesn't sign a pick in the first or second round, it gets a pick in essentially the same slot in the next draft. Previously, unsigned first-rounders merited a pick at the end of the supplemental first round. Unsigned picks beyond that drew no compensation. So if the Pirates didn't sign the No. 4 pick this year, they would get a pick just after No. 4 next year (which would be labeled as 4-A).

Other link

#3 zapo

• 151 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

Sorry to hijack here, but to me this makes the Brackman signing by the Yankees even more questionable. Rather than give a huge major-league contract to a player who may end up not pitching anywhere for two years, they could have passed and gotten pick 30a next year. Surely there would be another player around at that point who would likely slip due to 'signability.'

#4 Sea Dog

• 2,128 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

One thing I would change about the draft is not being able to trade picks. If teams are scared to sign guys like Porcello because Boris' price tag is too high and he slips all the way to the Tigers, Yankees or Red Sox, then where's the advantage of drafting that high? Let those teams draft the best players available, then trade them to whoever wants to meet the price. Because otherwise, the rich get richer and the poor ... you know.

#5 JoeyBelle

• 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

Sorry to hijack here, but to me this makes the Brackman signing by the Yankees even more questionable. Rather than give a huge major-league contract to a player who may end up not pitching anywhere for two years, they could have passed and gotten pick 30a next year. Surely there would be another player around at that point who would likely slip due to 'signability.'

And the Yankees will draft that guy too, with pick 30 instead of 30A!

#6 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,246 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Clearly they think he is the real deal. TJ surgery is not that frightening to teams now.

I think they made a bad decision, but we really won't know for 2-4 years, and if they are right, and he ends up being an elite starter or closer, than it was a great gamble.

Back to the topic of draft compensation. I believ Morris was something like the 20th pick in the second round, and number 84 overall.

So what pick will the Sox get next year.

Do they get a pick right after pick #84.

Or Do they get a pick right after pick 20 in the second round, wherever that pick turns out to be.

I assume it is the pick after #20 in the second round. In theory you might move forward 20 picks in such s swap, as that pick could easily be in the 60-65 range

#7 Crazy Puppy

• 1,780 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

Back to the topic of draft compensation. I believ Morris was something like the 20th pick in the second round, and number 84 overall.

Or Do they get a pick right after pick 20 in the second round, wherever that pick turns out to be.

According to this link, it's the former:

Because they did not sign Morris, the Sox will get a compensatory pick immediately after the 84th pick in next year’s draft.

#8 Caspir

• 3,471 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

Clearly they think he is the real deal. TJ surgery is not that frightening to teams now.

I think they made a bad decision, but we really won't know for 2-4 years, and if they are right, and he ends up being an elite starter or closer, than it was a great gamble.

I assume it is the pick after #20 in the second round. In theory you might move forward 20 picks in such s swap, as that pick could easily be in the 60-65 range

From what I have read, they will have pick 84a next season, but not the 20a pick in the second round.

Edited by Caspir, 21 August 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#9 JoeyBelle

• 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

From what I have read, they will have pick 84a next season, but not the 20a pick in the second round.

That's what I have read, too. And if they don't sign the person they draft at 84A next year, they don't get another compensation pick for it in 2009.

#10 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8,863 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

That's what I have read, too. And if they don't sign the person they draft at 84A next year, they don't get another compensation pick for it in 2009.

I suppose, then, that the Sox strategy in 2008 should be to draft a slot/signability guy with pick 84A, while using their real second round choice to grab a tough sign type, if they want one.

#11 Caspir

• 3,471 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

From the Callis chat:

Lou (Boulder, CO): Jim, thanks again for the chats. Am I understanding this correctly that the compensation picks (#69a and #84a) come before 69th and 84 picks? So you'll have 69a, then 69......84a, then 84?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:39 PM ET ) Glad you asked this . . . Last year, we confirmed that teams with unsigned second-round picks (the Braves at 69 and the Red Sox at 84) would choose after the corresponding picks this year (i.e., 69a and 84a). But I had an Ask BA reader insist I was wrong, double-checked with MLB and found that the Braves and Red Sox choose after the comparable pick in the second round (the Braves had the fifth pick in round last year, the Red Sox 20th). So instead of 69a., the Braves will choose 54th, and instead of 84a, the Red Sox will pick 79th, because the sandwich round is shorter this year.

#12 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9,748 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

From the Callis chat:

Lou (Boulder, CO): Jim, thanks again for the chats. Am I understanding this correctly that the compensation picks (#69a and #84a) come before 69th and 84 picks? So you'll have 69a, then 69......84a, then 84?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:39 PM ET ) Glad you asked this . . . Last year, we confirmed that teams with unsigned second-round picks (the Braves at 69 and the Red Sox at 84) would choose after the corresponding picks this year (i.e., 69a and 84a). But I had an Ask BA reader insist I was wrong, double-checked with MLB and found that the Braves and Red Sox choose after the comparable pick in the second round (the Braves had the fifth pick in round last year, the Red Sox 20th). So instead of 69a., the Braves will choose 54th, and instead of 84a, the Red Sox will pick 79th, because the sandwich round is shorter this year.

Ha!

I was not the AskBA reader, but just based on logic that's what I've always assumed would be the case. It didn't make sense that MLB would give 2nd rd compensation via a 3rd rd pick which is what would have been the case if the Sox were at #84a. MLB would be much more likely to maintain continuity to the round instead of to the slot.

The compensation is for Rd 2, pick #20 and that floats depending on the size of the comp rd.

And with all due respect to Jim and BA, this is the kind of little detail that they might get wrong. Not because they're inattentive to the details, but because their sources with MLB would be because they didn't much care about this kind of detail. Hell, it wouldn't have surprised me if they didn't even make a final decision until right before the draft. I think the order of comp picks was also something like this - BA used to do it one way based on bad info and then had to change it once MLB finally corrected it.

#13 samuelLsamson

• 962 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

According to Jim Callis over at Baseball America MLB has now said the Braves will get the No. 70 choice (for not signing Joshua Fields) and Boston will get the No. 85 pick (for not signing Hunter Morris.) They had seemed to be saying that the teams would get picks corresponding to the ones immediately following their place in the second round last June. That would have given Atlanta the sixth pick in the second round (No. 52 overall) and the Red Sox the 21st pick in the round (No. 67 overall). Very confusing.