Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox Playing Waiting Game?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 SouthPaw21

• 1218 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

There is a good article over at PGCrosschecker.com about the 2007 Draft. The article delves into signing bonuses, slot values and the idea that teams like the Red Sox & Yankees are waiting to announce their “above slot value” signings until another team announces something. Some of the sections regarding the Red Sox are shown below.

But not everyone has complied in the past—or is expected to do so again this year. The teams that deviated the most from MLB’s slot recommendations a year ago were the Yankees and Red Sox, and to a lesser degree the Tigers. Those same teams are primed again to ignore any efforts to reign in bonuses, and sources say both the Yankees and Red Sox have already agreed to terms with a number of players on over-slot bonuses—but won’t announce any signings until another team breaks rank or the new signing deadline adds a sense of urgency.

There are rumblings that the Red Sox also have a number of deals in place, including a $750,000 bonus with Florida high school catcher Yasmani Grandal, their 27th-round pick. The Red Sox took more speculation picks (potential early-round selections that fell because of signability reasons) than any other team in the draft by a considerable margin, and were expected to make a serious run at several of the selections.

Almost every player the Red Sox drafted that remains unsigned through 28 rounds was projected to go higher in the draft than he was taken; accordingly, the players would be in line to command bonuses significantly above slot if they were to sign.

#2 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10113 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

Yasmani is definitely not signed. I have pretty good knowledge of this.

#3 samuelLsamson

• 962 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

Yasmani is definitely not signed. I have pretty good knowledge of this.

Is that knowledge good enough to suggest odds whether he will or not?

#4 PooNani

• 862 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

this is not meant as a derail, just more sourcing regarding this "wait"

http://www.ledger-en...tory/83157.html

He's had a lot of down time since being selected by the New York Yankees in the sixth round of the Major League Baseball amateur draft on June 8. But that will likely change in the next few weeks.

Weems has been told from people in the Yankees organization that he'll be able sign sometime between Sunday and Aug. 15.

"I'm getting anxious," said Weems, who had a school-record 15 home runs and a .542 batting average this spring. "I am just waiting for the call to let me know that I can sign."

With Weems expected to receive a signing bonus more than MLB's recommended amount, the contract must be approved by the commissioner's office of MLB. After it is approved, the contract will be sent to Weems for him to sign.

Weems isn't the only player drafted by the Yankees still waiting to sign. Six of New York's top 10 selections haven't signed, including first-round pick Andrew Brackman, a North Carolina State pitcher.

Fellow high school catcher Austin Romine, who went to El Toro in Lake Forest, Calif., hasn't signed either, according to Baseball America. Romine was chosen in the second round, 94th overall.

"I guess they are wanting to send us all at the same time," Weems said. "I am ready to get started."

Weems and all the other players selected in June's draft have until Aug. 15 to sign with the team that selected them. Despite only having 33 days left to sign, Weems isn't worried.

"We are 99 percent sure that we will sign with the Yankees before the deadline," said Rick Weems, Chase's father. "It was expected to take some time to work everything out."

Weems is one of the players mentioned in the PG article as having deals in place far above slot. The question is what exactly are the teams (specifically Yankees/Sox) waiting for to have these deals signed and sealed? Major league baseball cant do anything to stop these deals, only condemn them.

With the amount of high ceiling signability guys the Yanks/Sox have taken this year, they're both going to make out like major bandits

#5 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10113 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

Is that knowledge good enough to suggest odds whether he will or not?

It is and I say the odds of him signing may be pretty good.

#6 Caspir

• 3386 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

The question is what exactly are the teams (specifically Yankees/Sox) waiting for to have these deals signed and sealed? Major league baseball cant do anything to stop these deals, only condemn them.

I've always wondered about this as well.

*Phone Rings*

Selig "I don't want you to sign these guys for over slot."

Sox/Yanks "Well we are."

Selig "I strongly urge you to not sign these players."

Sox/Yanks "But we are."

Selig "I must once again tell you, we discourage the signing of these players."

Sox/Yanks "You have a fax."

They can't do anything. I understand not wanting to get on anyone's bad side in the MLB offices, but if they're going to be upset anyways, why not just get it over with? It's not like it's a big secret that the Sox, Yanks, and Tigers are going to be dishing out heavy dollars to these players. They're not drafting them with the hopes of singing them for $30k.

#7 amarshal2

• 2702 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

I've always wondered about this as well.

*Phone Rings*

Selig "I don't want you to sign these guys for over slot."

Sox/Yanks "Well we are."

Selig "I strongly urge you to not sign these players."

Sox/Yanks "But we are."

Selig "I must once again tell you, we discourage the signing of these players."

Sox/Yanks "You have a fax."

They can't do anything. I understand not wanting to get on anyone's bad side in the MLB offices, but if they're going to be upset anyways, why not just get it over with? It's not like it's a big secret that the Sox, Yanks, and Tigers are going to be dishing out heavy dollars to these players. They're not drafting them with the hopes of singing them for $30k.

I think it's more like this...

Selig: If you sign this player you will inflate bonuses and salaries given to players across baseball and you will make less money. Remember when all you owners came crying to me in '97 about how broke you were and about how you needed me to fix it? Well I did, and now you're f#cking yourself and all the other owners in the game.

Henry: You think this is about money? Not only do I own a Hedge fund, but the Red Sox have sold out for 4 straight years. The money is irrelevant. This is about winning. I don't feel that bad for the owners who are stuffing our revenue sharing dollars in their pockets. I will, however, do my best to keep bonuses in-line with where we think the player should have gone in the draft and we will delay the announcement until whenever you're ready. That way the impact on inflation should be minimized and we'll still get our player. But don't think I'm going to let a player walk over a couple hundred grand.