Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Who Scouted the 2007 Draft Picks?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

Every scouting report about these recently drafted kids includes the anonymous opinions of some scout or another. But very little is known about any specific scout including the scout who will be credited signing the kid. Over the last year or so I’ve been interested in seeing if building a database of players signed by specific scouts over the years could help shed light on the quality of specific scouts. Unfortunately, I’m not convinced the answer is “yes”, but it’s been interesting nonetheless.

In this post we’ll look at the Sox scouts who are responsible for the Sox 2007 draft. I’ll go through the Sox scouting director and crosscheckers, link an area scout with each drafted player and then run through each scout by the importance of players drafted this year and I’ll include a signing table (if I’ve got one) for every scout.

Jason McLeod – Director of Amateur Scouting, 2005-2007

McLeod is, I think, quite young to be a scouting director. He washed out of minor league baseball in the early 1990s and worked his way up from an intern position through various jobs of increasing responsibility in the Padres player development department. His only official scouting job was as a California area scout in 2002-2003.

Table
Player Team Year Round School Pos State
Paul McAnulty SD 2002 12 C 1B/OF CA
Joe Lima SD 2002 UFA C 2B CA
Peter Stonard SD 2003 4 C SS CA
Justin Smyres SD 2003 11 C SS CA
Ryan Klatt SD 2003 38 C RHP CA

McLeod only signed a handful of players. McAnulty, who seems to be caught between the end of the Padres bench and the dreaded 4A label, is the best player that McLeod officially signed, but the sample is naturally quite small and nearly devoid of high picks.

Peter Stonard was a controversial draft pick. He headed into the 2003 season as a potential 1st rd pick despite some off-field incidents that lead to him leaving Alabama for San Diego State. Right before the draft he was kicked off the SDSU team as well. A quick Google search only gives the cause as “breaking team rules”, but my recollection is that he failed a couple drug tests in his collegiate career. And yes I mostly remember that because his name is Stonard. He never did anything as a professional and, well, who cares. But if you really, really wanted to go waaaaaay out on a limb, you might say that McLeod as an area scout going to bat for Stonard and his questionable past foreshadowed his willingness to overlook Clay Buchholz’s “youthful indiscretions” as a scouting director. Or not.

Here’s a nice interview with McLeod from soxprospect.com.

link

Btw, this kind of a thin track record doesn’t appear to be too unusual, at least for a Sox scouting director. David Chadd’s and Wayne Birtton’s signing tables don’t look much different. Clearly, the area scouts with the best signing records don’t necessarily get bumped into the big chair.

The Crosscheckers

The Sox employ six crosscheckers – one national, four regional and one for pitching. I don’t think the number is unusual. Most teams seem to be set up similarly. The pitching crosschecker position does, however, seem to be unique.

Here are the Sox crosscheckers with their years of service with the Sox and regions of responsibility. (note: that’s total years of service with the Sox, not just their time as crosscheckers)

Table
Scout Tenure Title
Dave Finley 2002-2007 National Crosschecker
Mike Rikard 2005-2007 East Crosschecker
Danny Haas 2002-2007 Midwest Crosschecker
Marc Wasinger 2003-2007 South Crosschecker
Fred Petersen 2005-2007 West Crosschecker
Daryl Milne 2003-2007 Pitching Crosschecker

Crosscheckers are not officially credited with signing individual players – that designation goes to the area scout – but each of these scouts has worked as an area scout and has signing tables.

Dave Finley – 2002-2007; National Crosschecker

Table
Brad Gennaro SD 1992 6 C OF CA
Mike Stadler SD 1992 35 HS C CA
Britton Scheibe SD 1992 41 JC OF CA
Matt Lachappa SD 1993 2 HS LHP CA
Jarman Leach SD 1994 38 C LHP CA
Gordon Amerson SD 1994 4 HS OF CA
DJ Drewien SD
Aaron Roques SD
Richard Talbott SD
Brent Billingsley FL 1996 5 C LHP CA
Mark Kotsay FL 1996 1 C OF CA
Brian Reed FL 1997 6 HS OF NV
Scott Goodman FL 1999 10 C OF AZ
Dennis Anderson FL 1999 25 C C AZ
James Close FL 1999 22 C OF NV
Jacob Laidlaw FL 1999 7 HS SS NV
Kevin Perkins FL 1999 19 C 2B CA
Barry Schell FL 1999 15 JC OF CA
Adrian Gonzalez FL 2000 1 HS 1B CA
Will Smith FL 2000 6 HS OF AZ
Jeff Stevens FL 2000 45 C OF CA
Lincoln Holdzkom FL 2001 7 CC RHP AZ
Dustin Kupper FL 2001 9 CC RHP AZ
Michael Eason FL

The Sox front office under the Henry/Lucchino ownership is a melding of the Marlins and Padres and as it turns out Finley was an area scout for both organizations. Finley’s time in SD pre-dates Epstein and I doubt he would have had much contact with Luchino, but he certainly was a colleague of some of the other Padres scouts who have gone on to work for the Sox. He moved to the Marlins in the mid-1990s and did a nice job there primarily because he nailed both of his 1st round picks, Kotsay and Gonzalez. He moved to the Sox in 2002 as part of the ownership change and was bumped up to a crosschecker at that time.

Mike Rikard – 2005-2007; East Crosschecker

Table
Doc Brooks SD 2001 7 C OF GA
Joseph Hastings SD 2001 24 C 1B NC
Khalil Greene SD 2002 1 C SS SC
Michael Johnson SD 2002 2 C 1B SC
Brian Whitaker SD 2002 27 C RHP NC
Daniel Moore SD 2003 2 C RHP NC
Colt Morton SD 2003 3 C C NC
Matt Lauderdale SD 2003 9 C C SC
Ryan Johnson SD 2003 13 C OF NC
Ronnie Robinson SD 2003 24 C RHP GA

Rikard was the Carolinas area scout for the Padres in the early 2000s. His only 1st rd pick, Khalil Greene, has been a success although he also had a couple 2nds and a 3rd that never went anywhere. He joined the Sox as a crosschecker in 2005.

Danny Hass – 2002-2007; Midwest Crosschecker

Table
Robert Smith Bos 2002 18 C RHP MO
Zachary Borowiak Bos 2003 14 C SS MO
Michael Bowden Bos 2005 1s HS RHP IL
Christopher Jones Bos 2005 29 C RHP IN

The Haas last name may be familiar to some. Eddie Haas, presumably his father, was a longtime colleague of Dan Duquette’s. Eddie was a high ranking scout (crosschecker, advance scout, etc) with the Expos when Duquette was there and he later joined Duquette in Boston. Considering his anonymous job in Boston as a crosschecker Eddie received a surprising amount of press in Boston, almost all negative. He was referred to as the only scout Duquette would listen to and there were stories that Duquette would have Haas watch kids on tape and then take Haas’s opinion over the area scouts who had actually watched the kid play. Nobody seemed to like Eddie or his role with the Sox very much.

However, Eddie had the Sox draft his son Danny in the 18th rd (pretty damn high for nepotism pick) of the 1997 draft. He was a lousy minor leaguer for a few years and then was hired as a young area scout in 2002 prior to the ownership change. He kept his area scout position for a few years under the new ownership group and was promoted to a crosschecker in 2006. In his brief time as an area scout he officially signed one high draft pick and right now Bowden looks like a very good pick.

Incidentally, a second young Haas named Matt – a brother perhaps? – worked for the Sox from 1999-2005. He signed Kevin Youkilis. So the Haas family did end up contributing one, and perhaps two, good players to the Sox.

Mark Wasinger – 2003-2007; South Crosschecker

Wasinger scouted Louisiana and Alabama for the Padres in the late 1990s and early 2000s. His two notable signs are both late drafted pitchers - Brian Lawrence a workhorse innings eater from the 17th round and his coup Cy Young candidate Jake Peavy in the 15th rd. Peavy was considered more of a 4th rd talent, but fell because he was expected to go to college. Wasinger convinced his bosses that Peavy was signable and worth 4th rd money and that’s worked out pretty well.

He was initially hired by the Sox as a major league scout in 2003. He moved back to the amateur level as a crosschecker in 2004.

Table
Ben Howard SD 1997 2 HS RHP TN
Tony Lawrence SD 1997 4 C C LA
Dustin Viator SD 1997 36 C RHP LA
Ryan Hawkins SD 1998 14 JC RHP AL
Brian Lawrence SD 1998 17 C RHP LA
Todd Shiyuk SD 1999 10 C LHP AL
Jake Peavy SD 1999 15 HS RHP AL
Mewelde Moore SD 2000 4 HS OF LA
Jake Gautreau SD 2001 1 C 3B LA

Fred Petersen – 2005-2007; West Crosschecker

Petersen has the longest career of the crosscheckers and surprisingly no connections to the Padres or Marlins. He’s moved around organizations and areas which I think is unusual. It seems like most scouts stick to the same area even as they move from organization to organization. Petersen went from a Texas scout with Seattle to a Midwest scout with Baltimore to a California scout with the Cubs. I have a record of a lot of players that he signed, but no particular successes. He joined the Sox as West Crosschecker in 2005.

Table
Shane Ziegler Sea 1991 65 JC RHP TX
Kyle Yeske Bal 1992 39 C OF MN
Kenny Reed Bal 1993 18 C 1B IN
Edwon Simmons Bal 1993 9 HS SS IL
Mike Trimarco Bal 1993 31 C RHP IL
Chris Sauritch Bal 1994 31 C 2B IL
Rick Short Bal 1994 33 C 3B IL
Rachaad Stewart Bal 1994 16 JC LHP IL
Matt Achilles Bal 1995 23 JC RHP IL
Scott Eibey Bal 1995 8 C LHP IA
Tim Olszewski Bal 1995 15 JC RHP IL
Jerry Hairston Bal 1997 11 C SS IL
Matt Schwager Bal 1997 34 CC RHP IA
Jayson Werth Bal 1997 1 HS C IL
Dustin Brewer Bal 1998 22 HS RHP IL
Marc Houle Bal 1998 39 CC RHP IA
Ronald De Mato Bal
Joaquin Serra Bal
David Zwirchitz Bal
Jandin Thornton-Murray Cub 1999 14 HS SS HI
Rick Devinney Cub 2001 29 HS C CA
Segio Mitre Cub 2001 7 CC RHP CA
Matt Clanton Cub 2002 1s JC RHP CA
Chris Miller Cub 2002 11 C C CA
Kyle Boyer Cub 2003 7 C OF CA
Matt Lincon Cub 2003 8 JC LHP CA

Darryl Milne – 2003-2007; Pitching Crosschecker

Milne covered Colorado for at least 12 years with the Padres. He joined the Sox in the same capacity in 2003 and was bumped up to the newly created position of Pitching Crosschecker in 2007. He hasn’t really signed anybody of note, but it’s also true that in his long career he’s never signed anybody higher than the 5th round. He probably recommended that the Sox acquire David Pauley in the Dave Roberts deal.

Table
James Elliott SD 1990 23 C C CO
Junior Herndon SD 1997 9 HS RHP CO
Geoffrey Jones SD 1998 32 JC LHP UT
Mike Thompson SD 1999 5 HS RHP CO
Jake Huff SD 1999 19 C C CO
Jeremy Webster SD 1999 32 CC LHP UT
Joel Klatt SD 2000 11 HS 3B CO
David Pauley SD 2001 8 HS RHP CO
Ben Fox SD 2001 10 JC LHP UT
Sean Thompson SD 2002 5 HS LHP CO
Mark Dobson SD
Kent Ervin SD
Seth King SD
Tim Perry SD
John Wilson Bos 2003 9 JC RHP CO
Curt Borland Bos 2003 UFA C RHP CO
Patrick Perry Bos 2004 7 C C CO
Matthew Ciaramella Bos 2004 13 C CF UT
Cooper Eddy Bos 2004 36 C RHP NM
Reid Engel Bos 2005 5 HS CF CO
Levi Tapia Bos 2005 38 CC C CO

It’s interesting to note that Milne who signed no pitchers of note was made the pitching crosschecker and not Wasinger.

Is there anything notable about the Sox crosscheckers? As area scouts they did seem to do a very good job with first round picks and for the most part the best Sox prospects have also been very high picks. I think Moneyball promoted the unfortunate idea that finding undervalued sleepers is the key to good drafting, but the odds of any amateur player out of the consensus top 100 making much of a mark are so long that chasing diamonds in the rough can’t be the primary route to draft success. The most important decisions in the draft will be focused on trying to get the right players out of the consensus top 100 (or whatever).

On the other hand, as well as these scouts did with first round picks they didn’t do a whole hell of a lot with 2nd and 3rd round picks which are pretty important too. Who knows. These types of reports are always really constrained by small samples.

#2 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

Anyway, let’s move on to the 2007 draft. In the following table I’ve listed the standard information for each pick – round, slot, player, position, school and state. And then I’ve added the likely area scout (and most are very straightforward) and the crosschecker in charge of that region. Now I’m not sure how the Sox actually define their regions, but BA uses the same designations for their draft coverage. That’s probably based on how most teams set things up so we’ll just assume the Sox do it this way.

I originally included a couple more columns for the pitching crosschecker (yes, for each pitcher) and the national crosschecker, but the extra columns screwed up the formatting. Those columns aren’t specifically needed, but I do want to convey the idea that there is significant scouting structure in place above and beyond the area scouts.

I assume the late round, very low bonus players may only be seen by an area scout, but any player who gets six figures I’m sure has been seen by at least one crosschecker and as the bonuses escalate you have more and more scouts getting involved up through the national crosschecker, the scouting director and Theo Epstein himself for the most important signs. And this process does not end with the draft itself. All of the significant tough sign players are still playing summer ball or coming in for workouts and that provides all of the key decision makers additional opportunities to scout the player. (note: McLeod describes this process a bit with respect to Chris Province in the interview I linked to earlier)

Notes:
- signed players (19 so far) are listed in green
- unsigned players in bold are the key remaining tough signs
- a bold named scout means I’m a little uncertain about that scout
- it’s reasonably safe to assume the Sox will sign the rest of the top 10 picks and probably 2-4 others.

I very loosely sorted the area scouts into tiers of importance based on the drafted players. I only assumed the top 10 rounds will sign so as tough signs come in that will change things. Probably the best way to do a sort like this is on the basis of bonus money allocations and I’ll do that after the August 15 signing deadline. I have done that for the 2003-2006 drafts and will post that separately.

2007 DRAFT

Table
Rd Slot Player Pos School State Area Scout Regional Crosschecker
1s 55 Nick Hagadone LHP C WA John Booher Fred Petersen
1s 62 Ryan Dent SS HS So CA Madsen/Woodward Fred Petersen
2 84 Hunter Morris 1B HS AL Danny Watkins Mark Wasinger
3 114 Brock Huntzinger RHP HS IN Josh Loggins Mike Rikard
4 144 Chris Province RHP C LA Danny Watkins Mark Wasinger
5 174 Will Middlebrooks 3B HS TX Jim Robinson Danny Haas
6 204 Anthony Rizzo 1B HS FL Laz Gutierrez Mark Wasinger
7 234 David Mailman 1B HS NC Quincy Boyd Mark Wasinger
8 264 Adam Mills RHP C NC Quincy Boyd Mark Wasinger
9 294 Kade Keowan OF JC LA Danny Watkins Mark Wasinger
10 324 Kenneth Roque SS HS PR Edgar Perez Mark Wasinger
11 354 Thomas Pressley RHP HS TX Jim Robinson Danny Haas
12 384 Eammon Portice RHP C NC Quincy Boyd Mark Wasinger
13 414 Justin Grimm RHP HS VA Tony Guzzo Mark Wasinger
14 443 Jake Cowan RHP HS GA Rob English Mark Wasinger
15 474 Scott Green RHP C KY Duane Gustavson Mark Wasinger
16 504 Austin Bailey RHP HS AL Danny Watkins Mark Wasinger
17 534 Jaren Matthews 1B/OF HS NJ Ray Fagnant Mike Rikard
18 564 Hunter Strickland RHP HS GA Rob English Mark Wasinger
19 594 David Marks OF CC WA John Booher Fred Petersen
20 624 Daniel Milano C C RI Ray Fagnant Mike Rikard
21 654 Aaron Reza SS C OK Ernie Jacobs Danny Haas
22 684 William Latimer LHP JC CO Jon Lukens Fred Petersen
23 714 Drake Britton LHP HS TX Jim Robinson Danny Haas
24 744 Matt Presley 3B HS CO Jon Lukens Fred Petersen
25 774 Seth Garrison RHP C TX Jim Robinson Danny Haas
26 804 Deshaun Brooks 3B C SC Quincy Boyd Mark Wasinger
27 834 Yasmani Grandal C HS FL Laz Gutierrez Mark Wasinger
28 864 Nick Tepesch RHP HS MO Josh Loggins Danny Haas
29 894 Juan Carlin LHP HS FL Anthony Turco Mark Wasinger
30 924 Wil Vazquez C C OH Duane Gustavson Mike Rikard
31 954 Daniel Buller LHP CC No CA Blair Henry Fred Petersen
32 983 Ridge Carpenter RF HS HI Wally Komatsubara Fred Petersen
33 1012 Garrett Larsen RHP CC TX Jim Robinson Danny Haas
34 1041 Anthony Bajoczky RHP C NC Quincy Boyd Mark Wasinger
35 1070 Sean Tierney LHP HS VA Tony Guzzo Mark Wasinger
36 1099 Scott Lyons SS JC So CA Madsen/Woodward Fred Petersen
37 1127 Scott Lonergen RHP C TX Jim Robinson Danny Haas
38 1155 Derrick Stultz RHP HS FL Anthony Turco Mark Wasinger
39 1183 Jonathan Roof SS HS KY Duane Gustavson Mark Wasinger
40 1211 Ryan Fischer RHP HS No CA Blair Henry Fred Petersen
41 1237 Michael Bourdon C HS CT Ray Fagnant Mike Rikard
42 1263 Chad Povich RHP C MS Danny Watkins Mark Wasinger
43 1288 Scott Cure LHP HS CO Jon Lukens Fred Petersen
44 1315 Emmanuel Solano SS CC FL Laz Gutierrez Mark Wasinger
45 1340 Peter Gilardo C C NY Ray Fagnant Mike Rikard
46 1364 Garret Young OF C VA Tony Guzzo Mark Wasinger

#3 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

Tier 1 – Most High Picks and Best Pick

For the most part the Sox spread their picks around this year so that no one area scout dominates the way Rob English did in 2002. The one name that did jump out at me a bit is Danny Watkins.

Danny Watkins – 2005-2007; AL, LA, MS

Watkins was hired prior to the 2005 draft so his track record with the Sox is pretty thin. He actually has a bit of a tough act to follow because he replaced Joe Mason who drafted Jonathon Papelbon in 2004 from this area. Watkins previously worked for the Astros although I don’t have a very extensive signing table for his time there either.

Table
Rd Slot Player Pos School State Area Scout
2 84 Hunter Morris 1B HS AL Danny Watkins
4 144 Chris Province RHP C LA Danny Watkins
9 294 Kade Keowan OF JC LA Danny Watkins
16 504 Austin Bailey RHP HS AL Danny Watkins
42 1263 Chad Povich RHP C MS Danny Watkins

Two picks in the first four rounds (and a third in the top 10) is pretty good and some reports have suggested that Bailey may be a signable tough sign player. If that happens then the Sox will have made a sizable commitment to Watkins scouted players.

Watkins only significant Sox signing to date is Caleb Clay who is just starting his pro career. His only semi-notable player with Houston is Chris Burke whose career has really stagnated in the face of Biggio’s pursuit of 3000 hits.

Table
Chris Burke Hou 2001 1 C 2B TN
Cameron Likely Hou 2001 24 C OF AL
Seth Bobbitt Hou 2001 28 C RHP AL
Ryan McGrath Hou
Mark Obradovich Hou
Carl Lipsey Bos 2005 23 C 2B MS
Billy Bell Bos 2005 39 C OF LA
Terry Large Bos 2005 46 C RHP AL
Caleb Clay Bos 2006 1s HS RHP AL
Ryne Lawson Bos 2006 30 C RHP AL

Jim Robinson – 1999-2007; Texas

The most highly regarded player the Sox drafted was Will Middlebrooks in the 5th round from Jim Robinson’s Texas area. The rest of Robinson’s picks aren’t highly regarded, but I think it’s worth putting the scout who will sign the best player in the top tier.

Table
5 174 Will Middlebrooks 3B HS TX Jim Robinson
11 354 Thomas Pressley RHP HS TX Jim Robinson
23 714 Drake Britton LHP HS TX Jim Robinson
25 774 Seth Garrison RHP C TX Jim Robinson
33 1012 Garrett Larsen RHP CC TX Jim Robinson
37 1127 Scott Lonergen RHP C TX Jim Robinson

You can see that Pressley has already signed, but it’s not clear that any of the other late round picks will.

Robinson has scouted Texas, one of the big three producers of drafted players, for the Sox since 1999. As a result I have an extensive signing table for him that even stretches back a bit earlier to a stint scouting Texas for the Orioles.

Table
Ricky Casteel Bal 1997 7 CC RHP TX
Mamon Tucker Bal 1998 1s HS OF TX
Sonny Garcia Bal 1998 47 C RHP TX
Brock Rumfield Bal
Casey Fossum Bos 1999 1s C LHP TX
Jason Bottenfield Bos 1999 19 C RHP TX
Lew Ford Bos 1999 12 C CF TX
Kelly Shoppach Bos 2001 2 C C TX
Kristopher Coffey Bos 2001 25 C CF TX
Ken Trapp Bos 2001 26 C RHP TX
Bryan Kent Bos 2001 27 C 2B TX
Luis Villarreal Bos 2002 20 C LHP TX
Jose Vaquedano Bos 2002 35 JC RHP TX
William Durazo Bos 2002 UFA C 1B TX
Jeff Ontiveros Bos 2002 UFA C 1B TX
David Murphy Bos 2003 1 C OF TX
Chris Durbin Bos 2003 10 C CF TX
Chris Turner Bos 2003 15 JC CF TX
Ignacia Suarez Bos 2003 24 C SS TX
Kevin Jordan Bos 2003 33 C LF TX
Matthew Goodson Bos 2004 23 C RHP TX
Clay Buchholz Bos 2005 1s JC RHP TX
Dominic Ramos Bos 2005 17 C SS TX
Ryan Colvin Bos 2005 30 JC RHP TX
Bryce Cox Bos 2006 3 C RHP TX
Dustin Richardson Bos 2006 5 C LHP TX
Jordan Craft Bos 2006 13 C RHP TX
Brian Steinocher Bos 2006 21 C RHP TX
Steve Minus Bos

Robinson’s record with the Sox is notable for the lack of out and out busts amongst his round picks. All of his players from the first 3 rounds made it into the high minors as at least decent prospects and most will make the majors. The downside is that players like Fossum, Shoppach and Murphy stalled in the high minors for one reason or another (injuries for Fossum, stuck behind All Star catchers for Shoppach and just apparently not much better than a 4th OF for Murphy). The inability of one of his players to get over that hump and be a quality regular, much less a star, has somewhat tarnished Robinson’s track record to date. At least from a prospect perspective, Buchholz’ great season has polished that deficiency quite nicely.

#4 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

Tier 2 – At least one high pick

It turned out that the other picks in the first three rounds all went to separate scouts whose only other pick was in the late rounds.

John Booher – 2003-2007; WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, W Can

Booher came to the Sox from the Marlins, but he did not arrive as part of the initial wave in the spring of 2002. His first draft with the Sox was 2003.

Table
1s 55 Nick Hagadone LHP C WA John Booher
19 594 David Marks OF CC WA John Booher

Marks has already signed and is at this point just an organization player. Hagadone was the Sox highest selection, but probably will not end up with the highest bonus.

Table
Shane Smuin FL 1999 20 JC RHP UT
Matt Massingale FL 2000 8 C RHP WA
Marc Rittenhouse FL 2001 35 C 2B WA
Mitch Stachowsky Bos 2003 50 JC C ID
John Otness Bos 2004 UFA C C WA
Jacoby Ellsbury Bos 2005 1 C CF OR
James Zink Bos 2005 8 CC RHP WA
Richard Lentz Bos 2006 19 C RHP WA
Jason Blackley Bos 2006 UFA RHP Can

As is typical of area scouts who cover third tier areas Booher has mostly signed mid to late round organization players. His only draft pick higher than the 8th round was a very good one though.

Dan Madsen – 2003-2007; So CA, So Nevada

There are two scouts who cover southern California so I listed both with the two southern California players.

Table
1s 62 Ryan Dent SS HS So CA Madsen/Woodward
36 1099 Scott Lyons SS JC So CA Madsen/Woodward

Dent was the Sox second selection and obviously is a very important part of the draft class. However, California did not play much of a role in the rest of the draft. The Sox only took three other players from the state and the next player after Dent was taken in the 31st round.

Dan Madsen joined the Sox in 2003. I don’t have any record of previous scouting experience. He’s covered southern Califonia and Arizona for the Sox. Arizona is an important second tier state that is usually considered to be on par with Georgia or the Carolinas, but in addition to the relatively few players drafted from California the Sox did not take anybody from Arizona this year. According to BA the overall talent in Arizona was low this year (2 stars out of 5) so that’s perhaps not a surprise.

Table
Beau Vaughan Bos 2003 3 C RHP AZ
Dustin Pedroia Bos 2004 2 C SS AZ
Ryan Schroyer Bos 2004 5 C RHP CA
Michael Jones Bos 2004 25 JC OF AZ
Tom Caple Bos 2004 46 C OF CA
Scott Shoemaker Bos 2004 UFA C RHP CA
Kevin Guyette Bos 2005 10 C RHP AZ
Justin Masterson Bos 2006 2 C RHP CA
Paul Smyth Bos 2006 27 C OF CA

Madsen has signed three players from the first 3 rounds. Pedroia is a big success. Masterson is realling coming on in a difficult first full season assignment in Lancaster. Vaughan flamed out very quickly as a starter and is still kicking around as a reliever.

Note that Madsen no longer covers Arizona. That state was moved to the area scout covering the Rocky Mountain region.

Jim Woodward – 2002-2007; So CA

Jim Woodward has a much longer track record as a scout. He scouted from the Mets in the late 1980s into the mid-90s. He worked with the Padres in the early 2000s before joining the Sox in 2002.

Table
Player Team Year Round School Pos
Tim Howard NYM 1988 5 JC 2B
Mason Rudolph NYM 1988 17 HS C
Alan Zinter NYM 1989 1 C C
Chris Butterfield NYM 1989 14 C OF
Fernando Vina NYM 1990 9 C 2B
Tom Allison NYM 1990 48 JC 2B
Todd Douma NYM 1990 14 C LHP
Demond Smith NYM 1990 6 HS OF
Marc Kroon NYM 1991 2 HS RHP
Randy Curtis NYM 1991 8 CC OF
Jason Jacome NYM 1991 12 CC LHP
Andrew Trumpour NYM 1992 9 JC RHP
James Popoff NYM 1992 27 C RHP
Benny Agbayani NYM 1993 30 C OF
Craig Jelsovsky NYM 1994 20 HS SS
Ryan Miller NYM 1994 30 C SS
Grant Roberts NYM 1995 11 HS RHP
Ryan Jaroncyk NYM 1995 1 HS SS
Dan Murray NYM 1995 10 C RHP
Justin Germano SD 2000 13 HS RHP
John DiBetta SD 2000 15 CC SS
Andre Gomez SD 2000 40 C C
Jon Brandt SD 2001 16 C RHP
Jordan Pickens SD 2001 12 JC 1B
Abe Alvarez Bos 2003 2 C LHP
Dustin Kelly Bos 2004 15 C SS
William Blue Bos 2005 4 HS RHP
Jorge Jimenez Bos 2006 15 CC 3B

Woodward’s best signing is Fernando Vina all the way back in 1990. And actually, as a fast 2B Vina’s career would be a pretty good mid-range hope for Dent. If Dent becomes a Vina-type player that would be a fantastic outcome, but that may be a bit more realistic than the Rafael Furcal comparisons that he came out of the draft with.

Ryan Jaroncyk is a somewhat infamous 1990s first round bust. Iirc, after his first summer of pro ball he just up and quit. Didn’t go to play football or anything like that, just took his signing bonus and went home. One of the main responsibilities of an area scout is to interact with the player and get a good read on his makeup. Having your first round pick up and quit on the game cannot be good for your career. And as it turns out Woodward was not part of the 1996 Mets scouting staff. Jaroncyk may have cost him his job.

Woodward eventually moved to San Diego by the early 2000s where he must have caught Epstein’s eye. I don’t have a record of any top picks for SD and these players all looked like flotsam until Justin Germano got off the waiver wire merry go round back in SD and put together a nice run of starts. Teams often will put in a waiver claim in players previously signed by their scouts. Once that signing scout is in your corner he stays there I guess. It’s possible the Sox put in claim on Germano this spring.

Woodward has not had a good run with the Sox. It turned out that Alverez’s 85 mph fastball was not actually a plus pitch. And his other high pick Scott Blue turned up lame before he even signed his contract.

Josh Loggins – 2006-2007; IL, IN, MO, WI, MN

Loggins has scouted the Midwest for the Sox for two years. I don’t have a record of any previous scouting stints with other organizations.

Table
3 114 Brock Huntzinger RHP HS IN Josh Loggins
28 864 Nick Tepesch RHP HS MO Josh Loggins

Huntzinger has a bit of an underwhelming scouting report – a HS pitcher with a modest upside. That scouting report immediately reminded me of Josh Garrett. Garrett was a 1st round pick in 1996 out of Indiana and the last player the Sox drafted from Indiana in a single digit round. If Huntzinger ever has a league average k rate in full season ball he will have dramatically outproduced Garrett.

Tepesch is considered a very unlikely sign, but would be a great get for Loggins and the Sox.

#5 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

Third Tier – At least one single digit pick

Quincy Boyd – 2006-2007; NC, SC

Boyd joined the Sox in 2006 and covered the upper Midwest which is the area he had covered for the Mets since the late 1990s. The Sox longtime Carolinas scout Jeff Zona left this past off-season to join his 1990s colleague Mike Rizzo in Washington and the Sox slid Boyd into the vacant and important Carolina area.

Table
7 234 David Mailman 1B HS NC Quincy Boyd
8 264 Adam Mills RHP C NC Quincy Boyd
12 384 Eammon Portice RHP C NC Quincy Boyd
26 804 Deshaun Brooks 3B C SC Quincy Boyd
34 1041 Anthony Bajoczky RHP C NC Quincy Boyd

Boyd didn’t sign any Sox picks last year so these are his first Sox signings. The Sox will probably sign 25-28 players from the draft so in terms of quantity Boyd, with at least four and likely five players, will have been a key scout for the 2007 draft class. The expected value of the picks in the 7th and 8th rounds is very low, but you can say that Mailman and perhaps Mills are right at the end of what we’d call the middle rounds. Portice, Brooks and Bajoczky are pretty typical late round, low ceiling, early sign NYPL filler. This is definitely more of a quantity than high upside quality group of players.

Boyd’s track record with the Mets does not include any notable players, but again he didn’t sign any high round players.

Table
Alex Stoffels NYM 1998 30 CC C IA
Kevin Ciarrachi NYM 1999 17 C C IA
Orlando Roman NYM 1999 31 CC RHP IA
Jeff Duncan NYM 2000 7 C OF AZ
Chris Basak NYM 2000 6 C SS IL
Tim Flannigan NYM 2000 30 C 3B IL
Joe Hietpas NYM 2001 16 C C IL
Todd Dulaney NYM 2002 32 JC 2B IL
Ivan Maldonado NYM 2002 18 CC RHP IA
Blake Whealy NYM 2002 13 C 2B IL
Dante Brinkley NYM 2003 23 C OF MO
Anthony Piazza NYM 2003 12 C C MO
Andy Sides NYM 2003 11 HS RHP MO
Matthew Sawvell NYM

Laz Gutierrez – 2007; SE Florida

Gutierrez was hired this past off-season to cover southeast Florida. I don’t have any record of previous scouting positions.

Table
6 204 Anthony Rizzo 1B HS FL Laz Gutierrez
27 834 Yasmani Grandal C HS FL Laz Gutierrez
44 1315 Emmanuel Solano SS CC FL Laz Gutierrez

Over the last 15-20 years the Sox have not spent many high round draft picks in Florida and that trend continued this year. I expect Rizzo will be signed. My first impression was that Grandal was very unlikely to sign, but that may not be the case. If he signs for supplemental round money than this becomes a pretty good haul for Gutierrez. Solano is an organization signing, but I’m sure one Gutierrez will fondly remember as his first ever signed draft pick.

#6 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

Fourth Tier – Everybody else

Some of these scouts may end up signing some tough sign players and therefore may rank higher on a bonus payout scale, but for now just based on the rounds these players were taken the players are mostly afterthoughts.

Anthony Turco – 2005-2007; W, NW Florida

Turco is another very young area scout. I believe this is his first job scouting. Turco scouts the non-Miami rest of the state.

Table
29 894 Juan Carlin LHP HS FL Anthony Turco
38 1155 Derrick Stultz RHP HS FL Anthony Turco

Late round HS picks rarely sign. In previous years these might be DFE candidates if the Sox could convince them to go the JuCo route. If either has a big summer or the Sox have a hole to fill, they might get signed, but probably not.

Turco’s only previous sign is Josh Papelbon.

Table
Josh Papelbon Bos 2006 48 C RHP FL

Blair Henry – 2006-2007; Northern CA

I believe this is also Henry’s first scouting job. This year he only drafted a couple late players one of whom has already quietly signed.

Table
31 954 Daniel Buller LHP CC No CA Blair Henry
40 1211 Ryan Fischer RHP HS No CA Blair Henry

Last year Henry had a much more high profile draft.

Table
Kris Negron Bos 2006 7 JC SS CA
Lars Anderson Bos 2006 18 HS 1B CA

Henry has been given some credit for correctly gauging Anderson’s signability as “projected slot” and not impossible.

Duane Gustavson – 2007; KY, MI, OH, TN

This was Gustavson’s first draft with the Sox. He came to Boston with at least ten years of experience scouting this region with the Pirates.

Table
15 474 Scott Green RHP C KY Duane Gustavson
30 924 Wil Vazquez C C OH Duane Gustavson
39 1183 Jonathan Roof SS HS KY Duane Gustavson

Vazquez is his first sign with the Sox and is a classic late round collegiate organizational player. Every minor league squad needs a couple catchers so every team drafts a few in the later rounds. I don’t know much about Roof, but he’s an unlikely sign.

Green is recovering from Tommy John surgery. If he remains in college he may be a high round pick next year so he will require a sizable bonus to forgo that possibility. If Green signs, then Gustavson will have had an important draft.

I have a fairly extensive signing table for Gustavson’s time with Pittsburgh.

Table
Jason Hardebeck Pitt 1997 16 JC LHP IL
Chris Luttig Pitt 1997 17 C LHP IN
Sam McConnell Pitt 1997 11 C LHP IN
Jason Biddlestone Pitt 1999 32 CC RHP OH
Patrick O'Brien Pitt 1999 39 HS RHP OH
Aaron Weston Pitt 1999 3 HS OF OH
Chris Bass Pitt 2000 9 HS SS IN
David Beigh Pitt 2000 2 HS RHP IN
Tim Keyser Pitt 2000 12 HS RHP KY
Nate McLouth Pitt 2000 25 HS OF MI
John Van Benschoten Pitt 2001 1 C RHP OH
Mike Arbinger Pitt 2002 UFA C OF OH
Bryan Bullington Pitt 2002 1 C RHP IN
John Hummel Pitt 2002 16 HS LHP IL
Michael Carlin Pitt 2003 UFA C 1B OH
Brian Bixler Pitt 2004 2 C SS MI
Kevin Hall Pitt
Justin Wallace Pitt

One of the main draft patterns that the Prates have become known for lately is a terrible run of first round pitchers who subsequently suffer significant arm problems. Gustavson contributed to that with Van Benschoten and Bullington. Perhaps the Green pick was his way to change his luck – draft them after they’ve already been hurt.

Edgar Perez – 2007; Puerto Rico

Perez was hired this past winter from the Indians although I don’t have a record of him as their scout in Puerto Rico though. Perez is the first full time Sox scout in PR since 2004.

Table
10 324 Kenneth Roque SS HS PR Edgar Perez

Roque is the first player the Sox drafted from PR since Angel Santos in the 4th round of the 1998 draft.

Ernie Jacobs – 1998-2007; KS, OK, SD, ND, NE

Jacobs has been with the Sox for a long time and has an extensive signing table.

Table
21 654 Aaron Reza SS C OK Ernie Jacobs

Reza is a pretty typical later round collegiate pick to fill out a short season roster. Of course, the same was said about Freddie Sanchez who was also signed by Jacobs.

Table
Matthew Cooper Bos 2000 3 HS 1B OK
Freddie Sanchez Bos 2000 11 C SS OK
Ian Cronkhite Bos 2002 15 HS CF OK
Gregory Stone Bos 2002 10 C SS OK
Michael Dennison Bos 2003 21 C RHP KS
Jarrett Gardner Bos 2003 19 C RHP AR
David Sanders Bos 2003 30 C LHP KS
Lance Schartz Bos 2003 41 CC C KS
Thomas Hottovoy Bos 2004 4 C LHP KS
Ryan Phillips Bos 2004 11 CC LHP KS
Logan Sorensen Bos 2004 19 C 1B KS
Matt Vanderbosch Bos 2004 9 C CF OK
Ismael Casillas Bos 2005 11 C RHP KS
Matthew Hancock Bos 2005 27 C LHP OK
Kris Johnson Bos 2006 1s C LHP KS
Zach Daeges Bos 2006 6 C OF
Ty Weeden Bos 2006 16 HS C/1B OK
Chad Rhoades Bos 2006 UFA C RHP TX

Sanchez is the only significant player signed by Jacobs to date. Last year was a very active year with a high pick to Johnson and a sizable bonus to Weeden.

Jon Lukens – 2005-2007; UT, CO, AZ, NM

Lukens joined the Sox in 2005 with no prior scouting record that I’ve found. He was based in Florida his first two years with the Sox. Last year he was shifted to the Rocky Mountain region to replace Milne who was promoted to a crosschecker position.

Interestingly, this is the first time that Arizona, an important secondary state and that had previously been scouted by one of the Southern California scouts or briefly its own scout in 2006, was added to the responsibilities of the Rocky Mountain area scout. That decision represents a small reorganization of the department.

Table
22 684 William Latimer LHP JC CO Jon Lukens
24 744 Matt Presley 3B HS CO Jon Lukens
43 1288 Scott Cure LHP HS CO Jon Lukens

Presley is a highly regarded player. If he signs, then this will be a much more interesting group.

Table
[td=*]FL [/td][td=*]Ricardo [/td][td=*]Sanchez [/td][td=*]Bos [/td][td=*]2005 [/td][td=*]25 [/td][td=*]C [/td][td=*]C [/td][td=*]FL [/td][td=*]Luis [/td][td=*]Exposito [/td][td=*]Bos [/td][td=*]2005 [/td][td=*]31 [/td][td=*]JC [/td][td=*]C [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]FL[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Matt[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Sheely[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]48[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]JC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]FL[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]William[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Mann[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]FL[/color] [/td]
Jeff Corsaletti Bos 2005 6 C OF FL
Yahmed Yema Bos 2005 7 C OF FL
Matthew Mercurio Bos 2005 16 C 2B

As I mentioned the Sox have not used very many high picks on players from Florida recently so it’s not too much of a surprise that Lukens hasn’t signed a notable player to date.

Ray Fagnant – 1993-2007; CT, MA, NH, NJ, NY, VT, E Can

Fagnant is the last area scout holdover from Lou Gorman’s tenure although by 1993 the department was already starting to change significantly under new scouting director Wayne Britton. Fagnant has signed a lot of late round picks under Epstein and had signed a lot of high round picks under Duquette.

Table
[td=*][color="#000000"]Rd[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Slot[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Area Scout[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]17[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]534[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jaren Matthews[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1B/OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ray Fagnant[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]20[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]624[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]Daniel Milano[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]RI[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]Ray Fagnant[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]41[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1237[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Michael Bourdon[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ray Fagnant[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]45[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]1340[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]Peter Gilardo[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]Ray Fagnant[/color] [/td]

Matthews is semi-interesting, but the two players that have signed are standard issue late round filler.

The Sox have leaned towards local filler so Fagnant’s table is quite extensive.

Table
[td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Team[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Year[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Round[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]John[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Graham[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1993[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]21[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]James[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Larkin[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1993[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]30[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Brian[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rose*[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Joseph[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Mamott*[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]6[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Carl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pavano*[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]13[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]John[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Raifstanger[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]33[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]INF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Christopher[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kurek[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]46[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Adam[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kurek[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]46[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Andrew[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Noffke[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]13[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kevan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Cannon[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]15[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ben[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Stallings[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]19[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]KY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Matt[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jones[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]25[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]James[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Farrell[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]40[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Eric[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Glaser[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1997[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]KY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Marty[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]McLeary[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1997[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]10[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tom[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Miller[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1997[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]11[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Danny[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Haas[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1997[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]18[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]KY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Joseph[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Thomas[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1997[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]21[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Carlos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rodriguez[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]11[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]KY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Joseph[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Adeeb[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]25[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]TN[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rick[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Asadoorian[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Greg[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Montalbano[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]5[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kregg[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jarvais[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]11[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]ME[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jeffrey[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Waldron[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]18[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Dan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Generelli[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]20[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Brad[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Baker[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1s[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Manny[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Delcarmen[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2000[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Brian[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Esposito[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2000[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]5[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Christopher[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Farley[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]14[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jed[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rogers[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]22[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kyle[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jackson[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]32[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tyler[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pellend[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]9[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]VT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Peter[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ciofrone[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]16[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]SS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]David[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pahucki[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]23[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Patrick[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Boran[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]24[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]SS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]James[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Buckley[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]25[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Angus[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Roy[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]IN[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Barry[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hertzler[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]11[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kevin[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ool[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]16[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Douglas[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Fink[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]29[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]JC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]FL[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jason[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Smith[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]49[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Matt[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Elfeldt[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Michael[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]James[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2004[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]28[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Caig[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hansen[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kyle[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Fernandes[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]12[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jason[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Twomley[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]24[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jeff[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Natale[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]33[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Zak[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Farkes[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]MA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Felix[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ventura[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rafael[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Cabreja[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]8[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ryan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kalish[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]9[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Michael[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Chambers[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]32[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NH[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jeff[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Vincent[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]43[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]NY[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jeff[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Farrell[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CT[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Clarke[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Caudill[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Virgil[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Chevalier[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ethan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Merrill[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jay[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Murphy[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Maximo[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Nunez[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Andrew[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Riepe[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Paul[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Seybt[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Corey[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Spencer[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td]

Sprinkled amongst the filler though, there’s a who’s who of high profile Duquette era New Englanders – Rose, Pavano, Asadoorian, Baker, Delcarmen. He has also signed two significant bonus players – Craig Hansen and Ryan Kalish - under Epstein. The 4M guaranteed MLB contract to Hansen is by far the biggest contract the Sox have ever given an amateur player. It hasn’t worked out very well to date and, of course, at that magnitude just about every important scout in the organization must have signed off on the pick.

Rob English – 2002-2007; Georgia

I’ve already written about English before. Briefly, he was a longtime Georgia area scout with the Braves who was hired by Duquette/Britton in the winter of 2002. His first Sox draft was also the Sox new ownership’s first draft and as it turned out an unusual number of players were picked from Georgia. As a result he become somewhat of a poster boy for the new ownership’s draft efforts.

This was a relatively light draft for English with only two picks both outside of the first 10 rounds. The only previous draft that did not include an English pick in the first three rounds was 2004 which made up for that with a seven figure bonus to Mike Rozier as a late round signability pick.

Table
[td=*][color="#000000"]Rd[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Slot[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Area Scout[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]14[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]443[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jake Cowan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rob English[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]18[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]564[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]Hunter Strickland[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#339966"]Rob English[/color] [/td]

Cowan is an interesting signability player although unlikely to command a seven figure bonus.

Both of the teams that English has worked for have been active in Georgia so his signing table is quite large.

Table
[td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Team[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Year[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Round[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Eric[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Lairsey[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1991[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]15[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]John[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rocker[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1993[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]18[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]George[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Lombard[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]William[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Wise[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1994[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]13[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ben[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Fowler[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]19[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pooh[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hines[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]47[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]JC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]SS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jason[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Shiell[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1995[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]48[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Aaron[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Taylor[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1996[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]11[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Galen[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Reeder[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1996[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]29[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]JC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Richard[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Thieme[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1997[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]17[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Johnny[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]McGinnis[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]4[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Yankosky[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]11[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tommy[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Clark[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]15[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Zach[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Frachiseur[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]19[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Shaun[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Harper[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]50[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rodney[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Dickinson[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Nick[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Green[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1999[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]32[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]JC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Adam[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Wainwright[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2000[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bryan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Digby[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2000[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Blaine[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Boyer[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2000[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ahmad[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Woods[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2000[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]9[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Josh[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Burrus[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Macay[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]McBride[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Richard[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Lewis[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1s[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kyle[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Davies[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]4[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Dexter[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Cooper[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]15[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Dominique[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Partridge[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2001[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]28[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Kevin[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hopper[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tony[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pierce[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]TJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Reese[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Atl[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Scott[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]White[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Chad[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Spann[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]5[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Brandon[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Moss[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2002[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]8[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]SS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Robert[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Cochrane[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]18[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]David[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Coffey[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]23[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Matt[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Murton[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1s[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Mickey[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hall[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jeremy[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]West[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2003[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]7[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]CF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]AZ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Michael[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Rozier[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2004[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]12[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RJ[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Swindle[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2004[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]14[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]SC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]John[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Burgess[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2004[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]22[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Andrew[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pinckney[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2004[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]34[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]3B[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jonathon[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Egan[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jason[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hurst[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2005[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]UFA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Jason[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Place[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]SC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Josh[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Reddick[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]2006[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]17[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]JC[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]GA[/color] [/td]

English signed a lot of players in the 1990s, but they were almost exclusively from the later rounds. His last two drafts with the Braves featured a number of very high picks the best of whom, Wainwright and Davies, are still trying to establish themselves as successful major leaguers.

English’s signings with the Sox have been somewhat underwhelming to date with solid prospects Moss, Murton and Place as the cream of the crop. Josh Reddick is off to a nice start in lo-A and may be an interesting sleeper prospect though.

Tony Guzzo – 2007; DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV

This is the first year that Guzzo has worked for the Sox and I don’t have any record of his having previously worked for another organization as a scout.

Table
[td=*][color="#000000"]Rd[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Slot[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Area Scout[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]13[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]414[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Justin Grimm[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]VA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tony Guzzo[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]35[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1070[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Sean Tierney[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]LHP[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]VA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tony Guzzo[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]46[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1364[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Garret Young[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]OF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]C[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]VA[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Tony Guzzo[/color] [/td]

Grimm is another interesting player that slipped due to signability issues.

Wally Komatsubara – 1997-2007; Hawaii

Komatsubarara is a Duquette administration holdover who has worked the grueling Hawaii and Pacific rim beat. He’s actually more a Ray Poitevint guy than a Duquette guy. He had previously worked for Poitevint with the Angels and for a time was officially under Poitevint in the international scouting department.

Table
[td=*][color="#000000"]Rd[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Slot[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Area Scout[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]32[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]983[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ridge Carpenter[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]RF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HI[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Wally Komatsubara[/color] [/td]

It’s pretty rare that the Sox draft a player from Hawaii. The last player the Sox signed from Hawaii is the great Mike Dekneef from 1990.

Now Guam on the other hand, the Sox have practically cornered the Guam market.

Table
[td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Player[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Team[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Year[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Round[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]School[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Pos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]State[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Arthur[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Davis[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ana[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Keith[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hattig[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ana[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Augustine[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Leger[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Ana[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]John[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Hattig[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]1998[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]25[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]HS[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]INF[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Guam[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Allen[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Mundon[/color] [/td][td=*][color="#000000"]Bos[/color] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td][td=*] [/td]

Summary

Since the Sox did spread the picks around that’s the background and signing table for all eighteen of the Sox area scouts. Not all of them will end up signing players, but they at least had somebody from their areas drafted. For scouts in lesser regions I’m sure there are years where none of your players get taken which has to royally suck.

#7 diehard24

• 535 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

Sorry for a post that only serves as a compliment, but, seriously, what an unbelievable effort here, Philly.
There's nothing like this anywhere. Fantastic! Thank you!

#8 XNOUGHT

• Patriots Fan

• 3497 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

This is what makes SoSH fantastic. Unbelievable effort Philly. The time and work you put into this is far more then expected, and inspires other posters to reach father and contribute more to this excellent main board.

#9 redinchicago

• 3872 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:53 AM

What a great resource to have. Thanks! And I thought Danny Watkins' area was more busy this year.

#10 RetractableRoof

• 803 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

This is an immense body of work... thanks for putting it together.

In the absence of the scouting reports by an individual scout in total, I find it hard to evaluate the scouts merely on picks that were made on their behalf, or the signings. For example, if the scout identifies player x as the pick to make with the Sox 3rd round choice, and one pick before, the team above picks the player. The Sox move on and pick a player from another region, because as the grading goes, that is where the next highest player on the list is. We as fans can't know that the scout was right about player x who may go on to do great things. We do know that player y was signed in the 12 round, but he was filler... we also don't know that the scout may have steered clear of a player the front office was hot and heavy for, because he knows the guy has a reputation for doing xyz things.

I guess those are crappy examples, but it would appear with scouts there is more we don't know than what we do know (through heavy lifting on your part). If we could see the scouting reports filed on players who made it, or didn't make it and then compare the total effort to other scouts who evaluated similar players then the sort of analysis you are producing starts to be incredibly interesting to me. Perhaps you have an idea for extending the analysis in ways I can't envision (that wouldn't be hard)... I look forward to reading more of this work, I just struggle to see how us as fans can make something of it, other than being addicts for Sox information.

#11 dnramo

• 3669 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

Good stuff

Fred Petersen – 2005-2007; West Crosschecker

Petersen has the longest career of the crosscheckers and surprisingly no connections to the Padres or Marlins. He’s moved around organizations and areas which I think is unusual. It seems like most scouts stick to the same area even as they move from organization to organization. Petersen went from a Texas scout with Seattle to a Midwest scout with Baltimore to a California scout with the Cubs. I have a record of a lot of players that he signed, but no particular successes. He joined the Sox as West Crosschecker in 2005.

Mitre and Hairston were reasonably successful given where they were drafted. I don't know their signing bonuses, but if the Sox got a Mitre or a Hairston out of the 7th or 8th round I'd be happy.