Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox land Josh Beckett (Official)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
761 replies to this topic

#151 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

My question now is: Will the Sox still meet with Burnett, and make an offer? As well, does the fact Beckett is now in Boston add anything in terms on Burnett's interest in signing here, beyond highest bidder.

This is something I was interested in. I wouldn't expect A.J. to take less per year to come here, but what if we offered him something like 4/44 as opposed to the 5 year deals he is being offered. Schilling, Beckett, Burnett, Clement, Papelbon. That's a lot of up and in right-handed heat.

#152 RedSoxNation

• 127 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

My question now is:  Will the Sox still meet with Burnett, and make an offer?  As well, does the fact Beckett is now in Boston add anything in terms on Burnett's interest in signing here, beyond highest bidder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think that we just got the starter we wanted for 2006 and Burnett is off the table. Next year looks like:

Schilling
Beckett
Clement (?)
Wake
Paplebon

The wild card remains what we do with Lowell. We took a lot of salary with him. Financially this limits the role of Youk and ties our hands with Johhny. But what a great problem to work with!

#153 BGrif21125

• 4,605 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

A few thoughts:

I like the idea of a 2007 rotation with Beckett-Papelbon-Lester. Our version of the Big 3?

I highly doubt Beckett will be wearing #21.

Pitching prospects are highly volatile. Beckett carries risk, but the combined risk of Beckett-Lester is less than Lester-Sanchez. And if we can indeed get rid of Lowell the negative financial aspect of the deal is mollified.

#154 67WasBest

• Concierge

• 1,995 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:40 PM

What a great day!

We needed this after this offseason and keeping Lester just makes it that much better,

Woot Woot!

Lowell at 3rd, Youks to first.

#155 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

I'm sorry if I missed this, but is there any word on who has been spearheading the negotiatons for the Sox.  Just curious who amongst the Gang of Four might have been the point person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Gammo said Hoyer and Shipley were the key players, which means Woodfork and Cherington were instrumental in bringing Beckett here.

#156 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,628 posts

Source: http://www.twincitie...ss/13214471.htm

Lowell may not be here very long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, THAT's pretty attractive too. If we can pick up those pitchers from the Twins for Lowell and cash, this Florida trade certainly deals with a lot of our pitching issues in one swell foop!

#157 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3,684 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:44 PM

ESPN  report:  Gammons:  Josh Beckett traded to Red Sox with Mike Lowell.  For prospects Anibel Sanchez, Hanley and one other not named.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But all of our Minor leaguers are named, unless they're referring to one of the Dominican name changers like Edgar Rodriguez;).

I wonder if this is the type of "raid the farm" deal Theo and LL reportedly disagred upon?

That said, if you can keep Lester, Papelbon and Hansen it's a good deal. Potential, Potential, Potential doesn't get you as far as Beckett's "done that." As long as you get proven ML talent (i.e. not Larry Anderson), the minor leaguers should be dealt. No sense holding on to the highly touted kids until they show they can't and lose value.

#158 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels held a conference call around 6:15 p.m. ET confirming that the Marlins were moving in another direction.

It is widely speculated that the Marlins are close to a deal that would package Beckett and Lowell to the Red Sox. In exchange Boston would part with prized shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez and Minor League pitching prospect Anibal Sanchez.

ESPN's Peter Gammons has reported the deal as being done, pending physicals.

sox-mlb

#159 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

According to Gammons, the deal done pending physicals and the player to be named later will be a Red Sox minor leaguer who is not currently on the 40-man roster.

#160 Dalton Jones

• 1,368 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

Like the deal as long as Lester isn't included. Hanley is at his peek right now. Don't think he'll amount to an all-star. If Becket is healthy, and Lester we keep, it's a great deal.

#161 DJnVa

• Yes

• PipPipPipPip
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

Happy brithday to me.

Nice.

This no GM thing ain't so bad.

#162 67WasBest

• Concierge

• 1,995 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

Never could we have theorized getting Beckett without being forced to give up our SoSH membership, and now he's ours, absolutely fantastic.

Can someone detail the two pitchers being discussed with Minnesota?

#163 FungosWithJimy

• 1,861 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

Boston.com reporting it as well...albeit with Gammons as the only source:

http://www.boston.co...as/extra_bases/

#164 redsoxstiff

• hip-tossed Yogi in a bar fight

• 6,659 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

[QUOTE]So, who's going to start the "I Love Lucky" thread? biggrin.gif
[QUOTE]

His Mother...but she could be jivin' too...

#165 The Big Red Kahuna

• 2,421 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

Happy brithday to me.

Nice.

This no GM thing ain't so bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Happy BDay to me too (literally...not sure if DJ was being serious).

Tremendous.

I'm holding off a bit until I see a press conference w. Beckett in a Sox jersey.

#166 rph22

• 127 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:56 PM

This is a wonderful trade. The Boston Red Sox just got a lot, lot better today if it is confirmed.

Josh Beckett is exactly the type of talent that this FO has built a farm system to acquire if and when the opportunity presented itself.

I could not be happier about this deal.

#167 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:56 PM

Florida would include cash in the trade to offset some of the $18 million owed to Lowell over the next two seasons. In return, the Red Sox would give up Ramirez, their much-ballyhooed shortstop prospect and Sanchez. The Marlins originally had targeted left-hander Jon Lester, but Boston balked at including him in the trade, so the Red Sox agreed to add a second minor leaguer if Florida took Sanchez instead.

ESPN

#168 g0wave

• 198 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2232211

This deal IS NOT DONE YET per espn:

"The deal is contingent on the finalization of paperwork and all players passing physicals, sources outside the Red Sox organization have told ESPN's Peter Gammons. An official announcement is not expected for a day or two, which leaves open the possibility that it could still fall apart.

Only some last-minute haggling over dollars appeared to be holding up the deal, a baseball official with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Florida would include cash in the trade to offset some of the $18 million owed to Lowell over the next two seasons. In return, the Red Sox would give up Ramirez, their much-ballyhooed shortstop prospect and Sanchez. The Marlins originally had targeted left-hander Jon Lester, but Boston balked at including him in the trade, so the Red Sox agreed to add a second minor leaguer if Florida took Sanchez instead."

#169 FungosWithJimy

• 1,861 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

And the question is: Will Beckett pass his physical?

#170 Andy Tomberlin

• 2,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Holy crap. Lohse, Romero, and BAKER? For Lowell and $$?

Anibal, Hanley, X, $$$ for Beckett, Lohse, Romero, and Baker??!?! IN A HEARTBEAT!!

I've seen Baker pitch, and he's the haul in that deal. Lohse wouldn't even have to be included. Wow.

#171 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2232211

This deal IS NOT DONE YET per espn:

"The deal is contingent on the finalization of paperwork and all players passing physicals, sources outside the Red Sox organization have told ESPN's Peter Gammons. An official announcement is not expected for a day or two, which leaves open the possibility that it could still fall apart.

Only some last-minute haggling over dollars appeared to be holding up the deal, a baseball official with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Florida would include cash in the trade to offset some of the $18 million owed to Lowell over the next two seasons. In return, the Red Sox would give up Ramirez, their much-ballyhooed shortstop prospect and Sanchez. The Marlins originally had targeted left-hander Jon Lester, but Boston balked at including him in the trade, so the Red Sox agreed to add a second minor leaguer if Florida took Sanchez instead."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't done yet, but it is hinging on formalities. I really hope that there is some reward in pulling off a trade like this for Hoyer and Shipley. Like perhaps a promotion for each as co-GM's? This is a great day, although I will really miss Hanley and Anibal.

#172 Walt Droopo

• 578 posts

Burkett AND we get to keep Lester (sorry Han-Ram, it's all about pitching))?! Will be a VERY nice turkey day if true.

#173 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:02 PM

I like the idea of a 2007 rotation with Beckett-Papelbon-Lester.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sox57 is very happy--Pitching rules!

#174 Walt Droopo

• 578 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

Burkett? Oops! Just giddy as all @#$# aboiut this!

#175 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,606 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

I would think that we just got the starter we wanted for 2006 and Burnett is off the table. Next year looks like:

Schilling
Beckett
Clement (?)
Wake
Paplebon

The wild card remains what we do with Lowell. We took a lot of salary with him. Financially this limits the role of Youk and ties our hands with Johhny. But what a great problem to work with!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So . . . Bronson's the PTBNL? :D

#176 WayneHousieHOF

• wants you to hate boston teams like him

• 612 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:04 PM

The question is: Will any team jump into the mix in the next 24 hours and put out a deal the fish just can't refuse.

While I like this deal, there is plenty of time for this to fall apart so it's hard to get too excited right now.

#177 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,852 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

And we get some cash? Happy day.

As long as we don't wind up waiting around endlessly under some tree outside of town for the deal to be finalized...

Edited by OCD SS, 21 November 2005 - 08:22 PM.

#178 Planet Manny

• 57 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

I love this trade.

Remember what your eyes tell you. I remember being completely devastated after Boone's Home run in game 7. One of the few things that made me happy after that was watching Josh Becket completely shut down the Yankees. This kid has a big future up here. He's from Texas so perhaps Foulke can treat him to some deer hunting and fishing, and get him happy in the North.

I can handle losing Hanley. I thought he was a little overated and won't play SS anytime soon as long as Renteria's Corpse resides on the left side of the infield. If indeed they lose Sancez instead of Lester I'm even happier.

Lowell's contract is hard to swallow and hopefully we won't have another Mike Lansing for a few more years. Honestly I pay big $ for tix and many $5.50 beers, There cutting payroll with the loss of Wells, Millar and "Damon" this team can afford it.

#179 redinchicago

• 3,873 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

The Angels and Tigers also were involved in the bidding on Beckett at one point

I wonder who they offered. Angels: Santana and Erick Aybar?

#180 boxos

• 1,187 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

gammons just on espnews saying deal is done pending physical. he also said that marlins wanted hanley very badly and had to trade one of their 3 best pitchers. he likes the rotation in Boston for the next 5 years considering they now have 3 of the best young pitchers in baseball on their staff.

he also said he wouldn't be surprised to see Theo back in Boston

Edited by boxos, 21 November 2005 - 08:15 PM.

#181 WayneHousieHOF

• wants you to hate boston teams like him

• 612 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

Sorry for lengthy post but I can't find link, but AP just moved this ...
DALLAS (AP) -- The Texas Rangers' pursuit of Florida ace Josh Beckett ended Monday, despite the team's apparent willingness to trade All-Star third baseman Hank Blalock and a top pitching prospect.
New Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he received a call Monday afternoon from Marlins GM Larry Beinfest, who told him "the Marlins are going to go in another direction with their trade."
Officials of two other major league teams, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Boston Red Sox were deep in discussions to acquire Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell from the Marlins for top shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez and one or two other prospects.
Another person familiar with the talks said Boston might include pitching prospects Anibel Sanchez and Jesus Delgado.
"The longer this went on, and the more time between when we indicated we'd meet what was ultimately their asking price, it was clear that other teams were involved," Daniels said.
While Daniels wouldn't be specific about what the Rangers offered, he didn't dispute several reports that he was prepared to give up Blalock along with John Danks or Thomas Diamond, both pitchers who were recent No. 1 picks.
"This was a chance to address a need," said Daniels, the 28-year-old who last month became the youngest GM in baseball history when he replaced John Hart. "If there are bold moves available that give us an opportunity to take big steps, we'll take them. I'm not sure what this signals other than the fact that we're looking to get better."
The Rangers are desperate to find a No. 1 starter this offseason.
All-Star pitcher Kenny Rogers is eligible for free agency and the Rangers have already said they don't plan to offer the 41-year-old left-hander a new contract. The only returning pitcher who made more than 10 starts last season is Chris Young, who was 12-7 with a 4.26 ERA in 31 starts as a rookie.
Daniels said he had spoken to Blalock, and made it clear that the two-time All-Star who has averaged 32 home runs and 97 RBIs over the last three seasons isn't on the trading block.
Blalock, who turned 25 on Monday, hit .263 with 25 homers and 92 RBIs last season and led AL third basemen in fielding. He was a third-round pick by the Rangers in 1999, and last year signed a contract through 2008, with a club option for 2009.
"This is a deal that would have hurt, would have left a scar," Daniels said. "We were willing to take a risk. Now, we move on."

#182 CrouchingTonyHiddenPena

• Dr. Bluetooth

• 2,393 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

Wow...definitely a surprising return from work. I would say that even if Hanley and Anibel live up to expectations, with a choice between "if" and Josh Beckett I take the 25 (26 on OD) year old stud in the now everyday of the week. This is an unbelievable deal for us right now. Great job in keeping Lester. That is the one very key piece that makes this a good deal at all.

Edited by CrouchingTonyHiddenPena, 21 November 2005 - 08:17 PM.

#183 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

From WayneHousie's story..

Officials of two other major league teams, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Boston Red Sox were deep in discussions to acquire Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell from the Marlins for top shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez and one or two other prospects.
Another person familiar with the talks said Boston might include pitching prospects Anibel Sanchez and Jesus Delgado.

#184 jah317

• 534 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

The question is: Will any team jump into the mix in the next 24 hours and put out a deal the fish just can't refuse.

While I like this deal, there is plenty of time for this to fall apart so it's hard to get too excited right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gammons was just on ESPNews saying that the player the Marlins had targeted in trade talk was Hanley, that is the player they want the most not any of Texas's players. He also said that the Red Sox did a lot of research into Lowell and will probably keep him as they think that he will rebound, plays great defense, and is a high character guy (Millar replacement?). I would highly doubt that another team would come in while players are taking physicals though so I wouldn't worry about that possiblity.

Edit: Damn it boxos beat me to it! That what I get for typing slower than usual.

Edited by jah317, 21 November 2005 - 08:17 PM.

#185 soxfaninyankeeland

• Magic Johnson of Bird AIDS

• 2,621 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

I love acquiring a pitcher of Beckett's talent, but the guy has been on the disabled list 9 times since 2002, twice in 2005. Caveat emptor.

#186 Fenway Frank

• 2,503 posts

Sox open on the road against Texas in '06, right?

#187 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Lowell has absolutely sucked post-All Star break for the last four years. This year was the only one of the four when he posted a higher OPS after the All Star break than he did before, and that was a rousing .693. From 2002 through 2004, he had very good first-half numbers, but those dropped about .200 points in the second-half each year. The less said about his performance in 2005, the better.
****************Pre-All Star************ | **********Post-All Star***********

Year  AB   HR  RBI    AVG/ OBP/ SLG/ OPS   AB   HR  RBI    AVG/ OBP/ SLG/ OPS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002  338  14   58   .311/.380/.527/.901   259  10   34   .232/.314/.398/.706

2003  353  28   76   .275/.354/.586/.937   139   4   29   .281/.355/.388/.736

2004  331  20   55   .305/.387/.571/.955   267   7   30   .277/.341/.423/.764

2005  288   4   36   .226/.285/.351/.633   212   4   22   .250/.326/.373/.693

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tot  1310  66  225   .281/.354/.515/.870   877  25  115   .258/.332/.398/.730

#188 Arock78

• 1,953 posts

he likes the rotation in Boston for the 5 years considering they 3 of the best young pitchers in baseball on their staff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"the 5 years?" Which 5 years? The next five years? The rotation could look dramatically different 5 years from now.

#189 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

Holy crap. Lohse, Romero, and BAKER? For Lowell and $$?

I've seen Baker pitch, and he's the haul in that deal. Lohse wouldn't even have to be included. Wow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't believe this. Tell me MORE.

Can we package Lowell, ? and $$ for Baker and Romero?

#190 redinchicago

• 3,873 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

What happens if the player to be named is Shoppach? Maybe Florida is waiting to see if they can trade LoDuca.

Why couldn't Florida include Josh Willingham. :D I'd like to see him play 1B.

#191 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,826 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still time for Lucky to piss somebody off.

#192 Fenway Frank

• 2,503 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:21 PM

Confirmation from Fox

Red Sox would get Beckett, Lowell

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 minutes ago   

The Red Sox have fired the first shot in their annual off-season battle with the Yankees, reaching a tentative agreement to acquire right-hander Josh Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell from the Marlins for top shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez, pitching prospect Anibal Sanchez and a third minor leaguer, FOXSports.com has confirmed.

The Red Sox outbid both the Rangers and Dodgers for Beckett, who will join right-hander Curt Schilling to give Boston two pitchers who have been World Series MVPs. Lowell will take over at third base for the Red Sox, who will not re-sign third baseman Bill Mueller as a free agent.

The Marlins will install Ramirez, one of the game's top prospects, as the replacement for departing free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez. Sanchez is projected as a No. 3 starter.

The deal is contingent on all of the players involved passing physicals.

source: http://msn.foxsports...b/story/5103292

#193 Country Sinker

• 881 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:21 PM

Is there any reason to believe Beckett won't keep #21?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, if Papa Jack tells that snot nosed kid that he can't have HIS # :D

#194 NomarsFool

• 2,727 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

"the 5 years?"  Which 5 years?  The next five years?  The rotation could look dramatically different 5 years from now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beckett is arb eligible this year, and then he's a free agent after 2006. Is that correct? So, I wouldn't go penciling his name in the rotation for the next 5 years just yet. Also, who are the other two he's referring to? There are a lot of talented young pitchers in baseball who have actually proven themselves. We all love Papelbon, but I don't think you can consider on par with those guys yet.

#195 rprociuk

• 72 posts

Gammo was just on ESPN radio's Game night, saying that Marlin's wanted Hanley all along, no confirmation on the third RS player though.

There was discussion on how the MFY's would react, Gammon felt that they would go after Damon hard, and try to get him down to 4 years.

#196 Murray Rude

• 788 posts

Fantatsic job keeping Lester. You gotta love this, provided the PTBNL (who undoubtedly is not Lester).

Gotta wonder who in the FO engineered this deal, and if their stock as a GM candidate didn't just rise. Likely a team effort but still.

Also, the Gammo Theo rumor.....things have been awful quiet on that front.

Just a good day for the Sox. We're (hopefully) talking about a guy that can anchor a staff for the next decade...an actual young power-arm, front of the rotation, starter. Great pick-up.

I'm giddy. Now if we only had someone for SS in a couple years....

#197 Senorec

• 859 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

BIG TIME SPECULATION ALERT!!

So, lets assume this deal is done and that we do ship off Lowell for the Twins Triplets. This seemingly puts the Sox in a Win Now not Later mode. (actually this is a move that puts us in a win now AND win later since Beckett is so young AND damn good).

Especially considering this is g38 final year, how would this affect the manny dealings?

#198 sox311

• 1,082 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

I am happy with the deal. If you have the chance to get a 26 year old proven stud you do it if it costs you prospects.

I still hope that Hanley becomes an all star and I really like the left side of the Marlins infield for years to come. Cabrerra and Hanley have the chance to be top notch, MC is already there and Hanley will be the starter next season.

it was written or quoted that the PTBNL is not on the 40 man.

Edited by sox311, 21 November 2005 - 08:24 PM.

#199 Pandemonium67

• 3,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

What a double-edged coup. With Beckett's talent right now, the Sox are positioned to make a serious run in 06. With his youth, the Sox are serious players a few years ahead when Paps, MDC, Lester, and Hansen are ready. The Sox have found a way to go for it now without jeopardizing the future.

That loud squish you just heard was the sound of expensive trousers being shat in all over yankee nation.

#200 jah317

• 534 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

Beckett is arb eligible this year, and then he's a free agent after 2006. Is that correct? So, I wouldn't go penciling his name in the rotation for the next 5 years just yet. Also, who are the other two he's referring to? There are a lot of talented young pitchers in baseball who have actually proven themselves. We all love Papelbon, but I don't think you can consider on par with those guys yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I keep hearing that he is 4-year arb eligible, that would mean two more years and then a free agent.