Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Dixie Youth All Stars 11-12 tourney starts tonight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,218 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

Sub distict tournament. 5 team double elimination, 2 teams advance to District.

I'm an assistant coach, I'll have the first base bag. Starting a beast of a kid pitcher, just turned 13 but 12 for the league rules, throws upwards of 70. Zack, of board fame, goes in the second game, or tonight if the beast has trouble (doubtful), or if we happen to be up a bunch after 2 innings.

Game is at 8:00, update late tonight.

Surfside Beach v. Andrews at the East Bay fields in Georgetown, SC. I know we have some board members down there.

#2 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,218 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:21 AM

So far so good, 14 K's from the big guy and we win 6-0, although it was much closer.

Got some help in the first and second by the Andrews starter, who threw real hard but walked 5 in the first two. A 2-0 lead going into the 6th, and we get 4 in the top of the 6th with a few hits and a few errors by them.

Clean game by our team, a few walks and a few errors by them was the difference. Our bats pretty much didn't show up. Chalk it up to opening night jitters.

Next game Monday night.

#3 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,218 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

Bad news from the tournament commish. Seems as if Trey, our stud pitcher/shortstop/powerhitter is going to be ineligible from here on out.

He "practiced" with his travel ball team today, that apparently violates the no dual participation rule that Dixie Youth has. Once tournament play starts you must cease participation from any other team of any kind until your team is eliminated. We knew he'd be leaving us July 7th if we were still alive, but never for a second thought practicing with another team would make him ineligible. Didn't know about that practice until I got a call this afternoon, but had I known I wouldn't have known it was a violation.

Busted by another coach with a kid doing the same thing. Not directed at us, but that other Dixie team is probably the best in the district, they hate the travel ball coach for some shit that happened a few years ago, and went to the travel ball practice hoping their kid was practicing so they could kick him off their squad (their guy is a bit player, ours is our stud). They called the commish to inform him they had kicked their kid off their team. Since the sub-district tournaments are going on they need approval to play on with 11. The commish, who is a friend of mine, called me to give me a heads up. Had we played him inadvertently we would be eliminated from the tournament if someone filed a protest, and since he already knew we couldn't just sit around and hope no one else found out.

This sucks for us, we go from probable to advance out of the sub-district to 50/50 at best. We lose basically the 7 shutout innings we have left from him, plus his bat. Good kid, he feels bad, no one knew the rule, the word "practice" is not anywhere in the rules about dual participation.

Already talked to the state commish, so we can't chance it. No Trey.

Last ditch effort is to find out if he quits that team right now, can he stay on our squad. Basically say his mother took him to practice for the purpose of telling that coach he was done. We've got a call in, but its a longshot.

#4 SoxFanSince57

• Carrie Nation

• 10,048 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

Sorry to hear the tough news. That sucks.

A continuing part of youth baseball is that a lot of the rules, regulations and red tape are set up for the benefit of the coaches/league heads and not for the benefit of the kids. The guiding framework behind all rules/policies should be whether they 1) enhance opportunities for kids and 2) if they are designed to protect the health and wellbeing of the players.

When my daughter was in HS the varsity softball coach tried to impose a "rule" that players could not play for their travel teams on the weekends (eventhough there were no HS games or practices set). This unofficial/unwritten rule was practiced by all the Fairfax HS coaches that I knew of. Such BS. While the HS coaches had no sanctioned authority for imposing the rule, they frequently threatened benching if any of their players were "caught" playing on the weekend. And like your situation, we had parents coming to the travel team practices/games from other HSs and they would call up our head coach to "rat out" any player that they saw in uniform.

Edited by SoxFanSince57, 26 June 2007 - 09:06 PM.

#5 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,218 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:49 PM

Lost tonight 11-10, in a very wierd game.

Down early because the starter had too much time to psych himself out prior to the game. We played Friday, had the bye Saturday, off Sunday, and played tonight. Zack was the pitcher and he didn't have it, no location which led to easing up to throw strikes which led to some hard hit balls. Total deer in the headlights look in his eyes.

Gave up 4 in the first, 3 in the second before the coach pulled him and then a hit allowed two more to score, charged to Zack. So down 9-0 in the second fighting off the 10 run rule and we end up going into the sixth down 11-4.

Georgetown screwed up their pitching with a big lead. They usually go 2-2-2 with three pretty good pitchers, they go 2-1-1-1-1 with the third inning and sixth inning guy being the normal rotation, so they threw their 4th and 5th starters ahead of the closer. As you'll soon see, you don't want to be out of pitching at this age level.

Here's how the 6th started for us. K, BB, seeing eye single, HBP, HBP, HBP in the head, dribble hit to pitcher where everyone was safe, BB.

So we've got the bases loaded, down 11-8, and our next kid hits a double play ball. Force at second, late at first. The kid out on the force is jogging back to the third base dugout from second and the first baseman thinks the kid is a live runner, throws to the shortstop who promptly runs the kid to third as if he's a live runner. The kid is our catcher, slow, tired and doesn't really want to be in a rundown, so he's being chased giving half effort while saying "Dude, I'm already out!" Meanwhile the runner at third goes home, where a bang bang play has him safe while the runner at first goes to second.

So its 11-10 and the parents are getting noisy. The next kid, who led off the inning with a K, (and happened to be the relief pitcher that stopped the floodgates and settled the team down in the 2nd) flies out to middle center field. The only drama there was would the kid catch it, which he did and we lose 11-10.

But that closer will never throw another strike to our team. We own that kid.

Due to the quirky byes and 5 team double elimination bracket, we've got a rematch tomorrow night. Same field, Surfside v. Georgetown.

#6 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,218 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Well, I've got my summer back.

7-4, we lose, battle OK, but come up short. Came from behind to take a 4-3 lead into the fifth only to see a kid hit a two run jack in the 5th and another kid hit one in the 6th.

The kid we owned from last night, pitched a 1-2-3 5th and 6th. The joy of being 11. We got the bad end of the pairings, but no big deal really, this team wasn't going to advance far without Trey. Not enough pitching and a few kids that couldn't care less. I won't miss coaching those few.

This is the age where serious and fuck off start to seperate themselves.

Hope a few of you enjoyed this short run.

#7 loshjott

• 3,829 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the story. My 11-yr old is an alternate for two tourneys this year. He's not playing in one that starts tonight, but I'll be taking him to watch his teammates. He's playing in another in mid-July (Bowie, MD). He's in a rec league, and from your description sounds like we'd lose 15-0 against your guys.

#8 PaulinMyrBch

• 5,218 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:24 AM

What seperates good and average teams at this level is the pitching. Most all of these kids abuse pitching in the 50-60 range, the good ones don't have much dropoff as speed goes 60+, but only a few, and I'm talking about elite 12 year olds with a ton of ball under their belt have a chance against a 70+ fastball from 46'.

We had one kid that could throw that hard and once he was gone we were a real average team in a hurry.

I'm glad to hear your son is doing well. Main thing for a hitters, especially at that age, goes back to Ted Williams, get a good pitch to hit. 11 year old kids have no chance at outside corner heat. Once he sees one middle or in, he's got to hit that one. Make sure he's looking for a strike early, he may only get 1 good pitch. Don't help out the pitcher.

Don't be fooled by the HR story, the field we played on was about 180-185' with a high fence. Those HR's were glorified popups. Our home field fence is 210 and I honestly think we advance if we played that tourney at home. It was Georgetown's field and those kids had swings where you could tell they were just looking to pop it up hard. When we hit it, it was usually liners that got to the gap, they hit pop ups that would get out.