Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jimmy Fund-raiser is now over (noon update)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:26 AM

Almost topped $50k last year... we've got the guns and the numbers to take that hill this year.

Here's some of the prizes we'll be giving away to participants:

-- SoSH T-shirts
-- Autographed Bruins Jersey from Mike O'Malley, worn during the ESPN "Rick" shoots directed by Christopher Guest
-- One seat at Gabe Kapler's Charity Texas Hold'em Tourney on December 7th (see sonsofsamhorn.com for details)
-- Copies of SoSH's book "Win It For"
-- Bat autographed by Gabe Kapler

and per Sox owner John W Henry...

The participant with the biggest donation will become an Honorary GM and spend the day in baseball ops at the trading deadline.

some other great prizes are forthcoming... winners will be drawn next week. Everyone who donates -- both members and lurkers/non-members -- are eligible for the prizes.

The time is now -- lets get it done.

click here to donate

#2 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:39 AM

So how much will it take to win those box seats with Theo this year? :D

#3 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:33 AM

:D

who knows... perhaps that will be a prize again.

#4 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:05 PM

I'd like to thank all the lurkers who have given so generously to the Jimmy Fund as well... substantial donations last year and coming in well so far today.
Kudos.

#5 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

updated the original post to include some of the prizes... there's more to come!

Let's get those donations rolling, folks

#6 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:59 PM

Beckett coming to the Red Sox was supposed to be the big prize for everyone... don't forget to donate -- that one took a lot of work!

#7 JohnWHenry

• Owner, Boston Red Sox

• 47 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:20 PM

I am proud to join you in this effort to raise money through SoSH. In my position you see a lot unpleasant things that children go through. We are blessed in this community to have the finest doctors in the world committed to research and to ending suffering. Great strides are being made and this is a critical time in medicine because so many advances are being made in so many areas. Every dollar committed by SoSHers has the potential to make a difference in a child’s life and for our children’s children in the future.

The Jimmy Fund, as you know, continues to be the central component of Boston Red Sox community activities. That you have taken up this cause as your central charitable activity further binds us together. We hope to provide you with a fund-raising item that almost all of you should be interested in:

The biggest donation from a fundraiser participant will become an Honorary GM and spend the day in baseball ops at the trading deadline.

#8 Pandemonium67

• 3,236 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:07 AM

I'm calling it right now: Manny's gonna drop a million bucks on the Jimmy Fund (he just has to clean out his glove compartment and check the sofa cushions) and on deadline day he'll trade himself to the Mets.

#9 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:55 AM

The biggest donation from a fundraiser participant will become an Honorary GM and spend the day in baseball ops at the trading deadline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could get dangerous! I know they won't want me hanging around while the work the phones to move Manny! :D

#10 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11,086 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

Can we post while were in the "war room"?

#11 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:07 AM

Jimmy Fund-raiser game thread

Keep the rally going!

#12 William Robertson

• 3,468 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

I am proud to join you in this effort to raise money through SoSH.  In my position you see a lot unpleasant things that children go through.  We are blessed in this community to have the finest doctors in the world committed to research and to ending suffering.  Great strides are being made and this is a critical time in medicine because so many advances are being made in so many areas.  Every dollar committed by SoSHers has the potential to make a difference in a child’s life and for our children’s children in the future. 

The Jimmy Fund, as you know, continues to be the central component of Boston Red Sox community activities.  That you have taken up this cause as your central charitable activity further binds us together.  We hope to provide you with a fund-raising item that almost all of you should be interested in:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great prize, JH, but you've been around long enough to know that there are a few nuts here that you might not want in the room with you.

#13 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7,435 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:00 PM

Can guests be brought into the war room? May want to team up with another SoSHer or two on the donation.

#14 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:05 PM

Can guests be brought into the war room?  May want to team up with another SoSHer  or two on the donation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would presume no but I'll submit an inquiry so we know for sure.

#15 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7,435 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

I would presume no but I'll submit an inquiry so we know for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, LJ. I believe Theo let the winner and three guests into the GM box last year.

#16 rskelley75

• has a hot wife

• 953 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

in the game thread, what's the difference between a single, double, triple and homer? is a single a $100 donation, double $200 and so on? it's the only rational thing i can think of...

additionally, my corporation's matching donation should go towards our total does it not?

#17 ctsoxfan5

• 759 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

Is there any way to see how much the total is up to?

#18 Curt S Loew

• SoSH Member

• 1,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:42 PM

in the game thread, what's the difference between a single, double, triple and homer? is a single a $100 donation, double $200 and so on? it's the only rational thing i can think of...

additionally, my corporation's matching donation should go towards our total does it not?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Click on the donation link and it explains it.

#19 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:53 PM

Is there any way to see how much the total is up to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I post updates whenever I get them from Caitlin at the Jimmy Fund.

#20 kevlog

• 2,396 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:23 PM

I post this every year so here goes again...when I was first dating my wife in the late 80's, her cousin was featured in the Jimmy Fund film they'd show before the main features at Boston area theaters. She had leukemia, and thanks to the Jimmy Fund and the awesome doctors at Dana Farber, she had a successful bone marrow transplant and is grown, healthy, and happily married today. Great, great cause and thanks to SoSH for doing this every year.

#21 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:55 PM

I've also mentioned this in the past, but my boss's goofy 17 year old son would be dead but for Dana Farber. They've always had a warm spot in my heart since my dad took me to my first Sox game in 1972 and I asked what that big sign in right field was all about, but this sealed the deal for me. I work at a university that has a world class medical school/hospital associated with it, and my boss was just totally blown away by the difference in the quality of treatment his son received at Dana Farber versus the local research hospital. Pretty astonishing stuff

#22 shoebox91

• 465 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:36 AM

The wife and I had a talk last night about Christmas and what to do for gifts for the kids, each other, etc. Making a donation no matter how big or small is a GREAT gift! So, when making out your wish list for the upcoming holiday season take some time to include those truely in need.

I am so proud of SoSH for this great work that they are doing and I am so proud to be a part of it. As sad as it can be to read the stories from member's personal experiences, it is also uplifting to know that a group of people who are here simply because they share a love for a baseball team can rally together for such a worthwhile cause.

Keep up the good work everyone!

For what it's worth the bases are now loaded in the Jimmy Fund Game Thread. Grand Slam anyone?.......

#23 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,608 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:05 AM

Quick note: remember many companies offer matching donation programs. Check in with them even if you've already donated, a lot of times the 'match' is a check sent independent of yours once you've shown them a copy of your check of the receipt.

#24 ookami7m

• 4,234 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:37 AM

Any luck on a total update for today?

#25 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

I got an update... $13,742.00 as of 12:38pm this afternoon.

We're going to keep the fundraiser going through Monday next week in case we missed folks due to the holiday.

There's a few high rollers waiting in the lurches with whopper donations in hopes of getting the "GM for a day" prize... that should be exciting.

#26 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,396 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:22 PM

LJ, can we get a regular update on the largest donation challenge? Or is it going to be blind until the end?

#27 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:05 PM

LJ, can we get a regular update on the largest donation challenge? Or is it going to be blind until the end?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to our Jimmy Fund contact, Caitlin, as of 7:30pm today the highest donation was $2000. Due to such a sluggish initial run, we're going to continue the fundraiser until Wednesday at 8pm. Here's hoping everyone who didn't have a chance to donate this past week will have a chance to kick in a few dollars next week.

Every dollar counts, folks... step up to the plate.

We can still raise $50k if one out of every 10 people who've registered at the site contributed with a single.

#28 FanOfLaMancha

• 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:10 PM

Okay, I've done my tiny bit.

Meryl

#29 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,797 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:20 AM

Please help in any way you can, folks. Thanks!

#30 Charley Weir

• Pip
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:30 PM

Due to such a sluggish initial run, we're going to continue the fundraiser until Wednesday at 8pm. Here's hoping everyone who didn't have a chance to donate this past week will have a chance to kick in a few dollars next week.

Every dollar counts, folks... step up to the plate.

We can still raise $50k if one out of every 10 people who've registered at the site contributed with a single.

Go to the game thread - it's fun! (I'm on first- but I'm as fast as Donnie Sadler - knock me in!

P.S> If I can donate- you can! Get off your wallet, pull out that plastic, and just DO IT!

Edited by Charley Weir, 27 November 2005 - 08:31 PM.

#31 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:47 PM

Go to the game thread - it's fun! (I'm on first- but I'm as fast as Donnie Sadler - knock me in!
P.S> If I can donate- you can! Get off your wallet, pull out that plastic, and just DO IT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As of 4:30 this afternoon we had raised $19,000+ and the top donation was $2000.

GM for a day at the trading deadline for only $2000 -- what a steal!

C'mon you high rollers... take a shot for charity.

I'll be on at 7pm tomorrow to try to generate a bidding war!

only 24 more hours in the fundraiser, folks...

#32 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8,396 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Is there an update on the total and the largest donation?

#33 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:40 PM

Sorry I'm late...

Total as of 4:15pm = $23,842.00
Highest Bid = $3,500.00

Congrats -- we topped our 2003 total of $23,600.00

I have no idea how many late donations there have been, or if the $3,500 donation is still the top dog.

We'll extend this until tomorrow morning, when I get the final report from Caitlin.

Terrific late effort, folks... and G38 may be chiming in if I can get his account working.

#34 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

Last chance -- the fundraiser ends at noon et.

Totals of 10:49am is $32,874.00! Terrific late push, folks!!!

The top donation is $5406, so we have a new leader for the GM prize.

Less than an hour to go...

#35 visalia oak

• 394 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

LJ - Thanks for all you are doing for the fund. We all appreciate it, as well as the kind folks with the Jimmy Fund.

#36 Lanternjaw

• SoSH Founder

• 5,189 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

The SoSH 3rd annual Jimmy Fund-raiser has officially ended. The link will remain active for anyone who still wishes to donate.

Final total is $33,999! Terrific job, folks!

I will try to announce the prize-winners this evening.

Thanks to everyone who had the ability to donate this year... its efforts like these that keep the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in the miracle-wroking business.

The GM for a Day prize went to someone who prefers to remain anonymous -- a $5406 donation brought home the biggie. Kudos!

Thanks again everyone -- prizes to be announced later.

#37 William Robertson

• 3,468 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:46 PM

I salute LJ and all the donors.

#38 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7,435 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

The GM for a Day prize went to someone who prefers to an anonymous participant with a $5406 donation. Kudos

Theo?

#39 Georgia_soxfan

• 118 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:21 PM

Theo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

G38?

#40 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,408 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

I'll toss in the extra buck to get us to $34,000 even.

Thanks again, Eric, for organizing this and letting us be a part of it.

#41 Catch Me Bruno

• fancy boy

• 2,928 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

Thanks LJ for doing this.

#42 Maalox

• full of shit, and proud of it

• 49,118 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:15 PM

It's over already? That was fast.

I hadn't donated yet. Any way I can donate late (prize-exempt of course)?

#43 ent5

• 1,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

thanks LJ for doing this..
I donated for the DFCI for the first time this year, and although I live far away from NE, I truely appreciate the impact that institution has had on many lives.
keep the good work

#44 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,906 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:30 PM

Theo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Manny?

#45 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7,843 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:04 PM