Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Nicholas Hagadone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

Posted Image

Name: Nicholas Hagadone
Born: 1/1/86
School: Washington
Height: 6'5
Weight: 230
Throws: Left
Drafted: 55th overall (Red Sox first pick) in 2007

Hagadone was a big-bodied lefthander with a low- to mid-80s fastball and solid breaking ball his first two seasons at Washington, and he entered the 2007 season as the Huskies' Friday starter despite having made just five career starts. He has dramatically increased his arm strength and velocity, as his physical ability and improved mechanics came together perfectly. Coach Ken Knudson moved Hagadone back to the bullpen after two starts, and his velocity jumped, as did his performance (1.88 ERA, 10 saves). Hagadone was throwing in the 90-93 mph range and had several outings when he hit 94-95 mph repeatedly. He also features a power slider that's at least an average pitch. While his delivery isn't textbook and his fastball tends to flatten out, he's deceptive, keeps the ball down (one home run allowed) and has some feel for pitching. His changeup also has average potential, and Hagadone likely will be given a chance to start in pro ball.

http://www.baseballa...res/264008.html

Big lefty closer whose fastball sits in the low 90s and tops out around 95 mph with good movement. Also mixes in a plus biting slider that he uses as his out pitch, a work-in-progress changeup, and is working on developing a splitter. Good control. Team leader and a hard worker. Could work as a starter if he can improve his changeup. Not a lot of miles on his arm.

http://soxprospects....gadone-nick.htm

Edited by Lucen, 08 June 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#2 Razor Shines

• 3,486 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

There is no such thing as a Fake Edit, I am just an idiot who can't figure out how to put a secondary thought into my posts without this crutch: With a .148 AVG and a .210 SLG in Pawtucket, I feel justified in cutting bait with Jimenez. :unsure:

Plus, I think the Sox released him a couple of weeks ago. So, don't feel bad about dropping "Little Papi". It was a miscarriage, not an abortion.

#3 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 8,051 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

Plus, I think the Sox released him a couple of weeks ago. So, don't feel bad about dropping "Little Papi". It was a miscarriage, not an abortion.

Yup. Brought in Mighty Michael Tucker to fill his steaming pileness. Tucker is hitting a full 35 points higher than Anti Papi...183.

#4 wildeman

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...p..._free&_mp=1

Hopefully this will be a link to a working MLB prospect video (instead of Joseph Hage) if not, just change hage_joseph to hagadone_nicholas in the URL

#5 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

AZBlue posted this about an hour ago in the post draft thread.

http://sports.espn.g...tats/parkfactor

The Sox’ first pick in this year’s draft, Washington left-hander Nick Hagadone, has agreed to a signing bonus of $571,000 and will report to the Lowell Spinners when the deal is completed.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this kid can do against pro hitters.

#6 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Thought I'd add some of the work TGE did int he draft forum on Hagadone. This is all stuff he dug up and posted there originally. You can find that thread here: http://sonsofsamhorn...showtopic=19533

From a Seattle Paper before he signed.

"A day earlier, he had spoken with an area scout from the Boston Red Sox, who told him if he were still on the board when the 55th pick they owned came up, he would be the team's likely selection.

"I couldn't pay attention to anything else," Hagadone said. "I was nervous. I really wanted to get picked by the Red Sox, and I couldn't do anything but sit around hoping it would happen." "I'm signing, for sure," Hagadone said. "No way I'm coming back. I mean, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my time at UW, but I definitely want to get my professional career started. Especially going into a situation like Boston, which is the best-run organization in baseball."

http://seattlepi.nws...4_locals08.html

And from the Herald.

Just got off the phone with Red Sox top pick Nick Hagadone. Here are some highlights:

* The 6-5, 230-pound left-hander went 6-1 with a 2.77 ERA and 11 saves in 25 appearances. He began the year as a starter, shifted to closer, and never looked back.“The coaches felt it would help the team more if I was closer and could just shut the door when we were ahead,” Hagadone said. “There was no hesitation, but I was definitely disappointed, because I had worked so hard to be a starter. Once I made it, though, it worked out really well. It was a fun job, pitching in all of the bigger situations. I wouldn’t change anything.”

* He found out he had been drafted by seeing it on the MLB draft tracker before getting the call from scout John Booher.

* Washington hired a new trainer this year and he switched his workout routine from bench pressing (he put up over 300 pounds) to do more squats, back and core exercises. Part of his inspiration was Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum, who generates most of his velocity because of flexibility, not strength.

* College teammate and RHP Richie Lentz was drafted by the Sox in the 19th round last year. He plans on calling him shortly.

* Hagadone was only a marginal draft prospect when last year ended, throwing in the mid-80s with a slow, slurvy slider. His altered fitness regimen upped the fastball to the mid-90s and his slider to 81 mph with bite.

“At the beginning of the year I wasn’t even on anyone’s radar,” Hagadone said. “I’m just happy to get the opportunity, and I’m really happy that I was picked as high as I was. Boston’s one of the best organizations in major league baseball and it’s a privilege to be selected by them.”

* Hagadone enters the farm system from a section of the draft where the Sox have struck gold in recent years, be it Rookie of the Year candidate Dustin Pedroia (65th, 2004), or top pitching prospects Clay Buchholz (42nd, 2005) and Michael Bowden (47th, 2005).

* If there’s a question about Hagadone, it’s his delivery. Washington coaches eschew the traditional teachings of balance point and staying back in favor of being quick to the plate. While Hagadone’s arm action is fairly long and fluid, the rest of his delivery will likely need to be lengthened.

“Whatever they think will get me to Boston is what I’m willing to do,” he said. “I have no preference. I just want an opportunity to make it to the big leagues.”

http://www.bostonher.../redSox/?p=1304

Thanks TGE.

#7 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Got my daily prospect report from BA (great newsletter for anyone interested in prospects, and it's free... I highly recommend it.)

BOS P Hagadone, Nick ............. 1.1 IP 6 H 5 R 5 ER 1 BB 1 K 33.75 ERA - L (0-1)

Ugly debut for our top pick this year.

Edited by Lucen, 19 July 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#8 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

In his second game Nick pitched 2 innings and gave up zero hits and zero runs while walking 1 and striking out 3. That brings his overall ERA to 13.50 in two appearances. A nice little bounce back appearance.

#9 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

Nick has had two appearances since my last update.

7/29/07 2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K

8/03/07 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 3 K

Since getting rocked in his first appearance back on July 18th, he's thrown 6 innings of 3 hit ball with 0 ER, 2 BB, and 8 K. It's a nice recovery from a dreadful first game. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Edited by Lucen, 06 August 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#10 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

8/8/07 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.

Total season line looks like this:

5 G, 9.33 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 12 K, 1.50 GB/FB, .250 AGVA, 4.82 ERA.

Without the abortion of a first appearance:

4 G, 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 11 K, 0.00 ERA.

#11 Trotsky

• 822 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

8/8/07 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K.

Total season line looks like this:

5 G, 9.33 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 12 K, 1.50 GB/FB, .250 AGVA, 4.82 ERA.

Without the abortion of a first appearance:

4 G, 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 11 K, 0.00 ERA.

Is there any feelings about Hagadone in where he'll end up? Last season there was all sorts of speculation on different prospects and whether they'd end up in the BP (Masterson... ha!) or the rotation (Bard... ha!). I had chances to see all these guys and came to my own conclusions after reading reports, checking stats, and my own feelings... but I haven't been able to see Hagadone. Masterson was pitching 3 innings in Lowell, Hagadone's only going 2

#12 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,701 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Is there any feelings about Hagadone in where he'll end up? Last season there was all sorts of speculation on different prospects and whether they'd end up in the BP (Masterson... ha!) or the rotation (Bard... ha!). I had chances to see all these guys and came to my own conclusions after reading reports, checking stats, and my own feelings... but I haven't been able to see Hagadone. Masterson was pitching 3 innings in Lowell, Hagadone's only going 2

He will most likely be a starter. Its not uncommon for them to keep the innings down. When Buchholz was in Lowell he did 2 inning stints as well I believe. Its the FO philosophy to keep innings down for college draftees.

#13 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:01 AM

Everything I've read (which is nothing but speculation, unfortunately) suggests they want to see how he does as a starter. So I expect that next season they'll see how he handles that role and build their development plan for him accordingly. For now, these 2 inning stints may be all we see.

#14 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

Nick hasn't pitched since August 8th. Up until that day, he had pitched every 5 days. No reason has been given through the Spinners' website.

#15 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,701 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

Nick hasn't pitched since August 8th. Up until that day, he had pitched every 5 days. No reason has been given through the Spinners' website.

They had the all-star break. He pitches tonight in Lowell.

#16 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

They had the all-star break. He pitches tonight in Lowell.

Thanks for the update.

#17 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

8/16/07

3 IP, 3 K, 0 BB, 0 ER, 0 R

Season ERA down to 3.65.

#18 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

8/21/07

3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 SO, 0 R, 0 ER.

Season ERA is 2.93, his GO/FO ratio is 1.70 and opposing hitters are only hitting .179 off of him.

Most of his innings thus far have been wracked up against righty hitters, but lefties are hitting him to the tune of a 9.82 ERA over 3 and 2/3 innings. That includes 5 hits and 4 ER. Way to small a sample size to be concerning just yet, but worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by Lucen, 23 August 2007 - 01:32 PM.

#19 Pork Fried Jim Rice

• 593 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

8/21/07

3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 SO, 0 R, 0 ER.

Season ERA is 2.93, his GO/FO ratio is 1.70 and opposing hitters are only hitting .179 off of him.

Most of his innings thus far have been wracked up against righty hitters, but lefties are hitting him to the tune of a 9.82 ERA over 3 and 2/3 innings. That includes 5 hits and 4 ER. Way to small a sample size to be concerning just yet, but worth keeping an eye on.

Did you really just use ERA against LHH? How does one even calculate that? ERA is a measure of both people on base, so I high number of RHH could get on base and one LHH could get a hit to get him in, it wouldn't indicate at all how well lefties are hitting him. For that why not use BAA, OBP against, Slugging Against or OPS against. The only way I'd ever want to calculate ERA vs LHH is if he faced a lineup completely of lefties.

#20 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

Did you really just use ERA against LHH? How does one even calculate that? ERA is a measure of both people on base, so I high number of RHH could get on base and one LHH could get a hit to get him in, it wouldn't indicate at all how well lefties are hitting him. For that why not use BAA, OBP against, Slugging Against or OPS against. The only way I'd ever want to calculate ERA vs LHH is if he faced a lineup completely of lefties.

ERA against lefties is a stat they had sitting on his milb.com page, so I posted it. I'm guessing that only runs driven in by lefties would count, and as I said, it's crazy small sample size, so it likely means nothing. Just thought it was interesting, as it stood out to me.

#21 Crazy Puppy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

Left-handed hitters are 5-16 (.313) with 1 HR against Hagadone so far. He has 1 BB and 5 Ks vs. lefties.

#22 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 3,018 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Hagadone may have solved his lefty problem...they are now only batting .226 off him, to go along with a 13-3 K/BB.

He's reeled off 23 straight scoreless innings since his rough introduction to pro ball. I assume he'll be penciled in at Portland to start next season?

#23 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,701 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hagadone may have solved his lefty problem...they are now only batting .226 off him, to go along with a 13-3 K/BB.

He's reeled off 23 straight scoreless innings since his rough introduction to pro ball. I assume he'll be penciled in at Portland to start next season?

Likely it will be Lancaster to start the year.

#24 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 3,018 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

Likely it will be Lancaster to start the year.

You're probably right, although he'll be 22 to start the season, and has been dominant in low A. I guess Lancaster is good to test his mental strength and stretch him out to getting some starter innings, especially because they'll probably limit him to 100-150 IP next season. Definately like to see him get a bulk of innings in AA though.

Nice start with this season.

#25 GreyisGone

• 1,134 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:15 PM

You're probably right, although he'll be 22 to start the season, and has been dominant in low A. I guess Lancaster is good to test his mental strength and stretch him out to getting some starter innings, especially because they'll probably limit him to 100-150 IP next season. Definately like to see him get a bulk of innings in AA though.

Nice start with this season.

Well he's been dominating short season A, I wouldn't call it "low A". If he had been dominating Greeenville he might start in Portland, but you can't leap 2 leagues.

#26 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,389 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

Well he's been dominating short season A, I wouldn't call it "low A". If he had been dominating Greeenville he might start in Portland, but you can't leap 2 leagues.

It is not unprecedented to do so, however. Abe Alvarez went from Lowell to Portland (and there was no ill effect for him doing so.)

#27 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Work has kept me from doing much besides... well... work. :angry:

Anyway, here's the final season line for Nick.

10 G, 24.1 IP, 14 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 HR, 8 BB, 33 K, 1.53 GO/AO, .163 BAA, 1.85 ERA.

That gives him a 2.96 BB/9 and a 12.21 K/9 rate.

If you ignore the first appearance those numbers end up at 2.66 and 12.17 respectively.

All in all, an impressive introduction to professional baseball.

#28 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

It is not unprecedented to do so, however. Abe Alvarez went from Lowell to Portland (and there was no ill effect for him doing so.)

Put it this way:

It is developmentally unwise to leap 2 leagues unless you're very sure of what you've got and jumping to AA is a move you make if you think you'll need the guy this year.

We've got deep starting pitching as it is -- there's no need to do anything other than guide Hagadone along gently and take our time with him. So I don't think he'll start higher than Lancaster -- and considering the distinct lack of urgency in bringing him up they might even start him in Greenville with an eye towards a Bowden-style quick promotion within the first month or so if they're satisfied with what they see.

Edited by Imgran, 09 September 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#29 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

Put it this way:

It is developmentally unwise to leap 2 leagues unless you're very sure of what you've got and jumping to AA is a move you make if you think you'll need the guy this year.

We've got deep starting pitching as it is -- there's no need to do anything other than guide Hagadone along gently and take our time with him. So I don't think he'll start higher than Lancaster -- and considering the distinct lack of urgency in bringing him up they might even start him in Greenville with an eye towards a Bowden-style quick promotion within the first month or so if they're satisfied with what they see.

He is starting in Lancaster next year. You can basically stamp it. He is a polished college pitcher who doesn't need to waste his time in Greenville against weaker competition.

#30 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1,713 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

He is starting in Lancaster next year. You can basically stamp it.

I think there's a good chance that he begins the season in Lancaster, but I'd stop well short of saying it's a given. Players earn their opportunities, and what happens in spring training will go a long way toward determining Hagadone's assignment. We've arguably been a little too aggressive with a few college signs recently, and the organization is assuredly taking a long look at that.

#31 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,701 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

I think there's a good chance that he begins the season in Lancaster, but I'd stop well short of saying it's a given. Players earn their opportunities, and what happens in spring training will go a long way toward determining Hagadone's assignment. We've arguably been a little too aggressive with a few college signs recently, and the organization is assuredly taking a long look at that.

He's earned his chance at better competition with his Lowell showing and he will continue to show in spring training. He will be best served starting in Lancaster much like Masterson did this past season.

#32 Imgran

• 1,966 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:12 AM

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it turned out exactly that way. But I wouldn't rule out Portland entirely (maybe a 1% chance or less but still, leave that door ajar) and similarly for Greenville. After all the sample size with Hagadone is not exactly vast which means a greater than usual spread of possibilities.

Edited by Imgran, 10 September 2007 - 10:12 AM.

#33 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

Lefthander Nick Hagadone, the Red Sox' top 2007 draft pick, had a tremendous summer in the short-season New York-Penn League. How does he project as a major leaguer? Is he capable of being a No. 2 or 3 starter, is he a bottom-of-the-rotation pitcher or is he destined to eventually return to the bullpen?

Kevin Morrison
Boston

The 55th overall pick in June, Hagadone already is looking like a steal. After allowing five runs in his first pro game, he pitched scoreless ball over 23 innings for the rest of the summer. He's a 6-foot-5, 230-pound lefthander with a 92-94 mph fastball and an 82-84 mph slider. His changeup has had its moments, and if he can refine it, he'll be a starter. If not, he can be a nasty reliever.

Hagadone's upside is as a No. 2 starter, but it's early and I'm conservative when it comes to projecting starters, so I wouldn't expect more than a No. 3 at this point. But his potential is certainly intriguing, and he may not need much time in the minors before he can contribute in Boston.

In the Ask BA

Edited by Again2004, 09 November 2007 - 10:47 AM.

#34 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,755 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

Like most young arms, their fate lies in developing secondary stuff..

Left-hander Nick Hagadone, the Sox's No. 1 pick in the 2007 Draft (55th overall), continues to work on his changeup this spring. "He's pitched a couple of innings in camp games so far," Hazen said. "He went 1-2-3 in the first inning with a couple of strikeouts, and had a walk in the second. He's developing a good feel for the changeup, which he worked on in instructional league. It's progressing well and he continues to refine it."

Link

#35 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

It appears as though Hagadone will start the season in Single-A Greenville. Not surprising since he obviously needs to prove he's ready for AA before anyone even thinks the word Portland and he's early enough in his development that putting him in the launching pad that is Lancaster could retard his progress.

It's going to be interesting seeing him against more advanced hitters this season, as he absolutely dominated during his short season after being drafted. Maybe he'll continue his dominance and get a shot at AA hitters by the end of the season... hey, we can hope, right?

#36 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hagadone final line: 2 2/3 IP, 3 R (0 earned), 2 H, 2 K(one swinging, one looking)/4 BB, 4 GO/2 AO, 65 pitches (36 strikes, 29 balls)

PBP announcer had him hitting 98.

A lot of bad luck for the kid on his debut. The ump seemed to be squeezing him and the defense committed four errors.

Edited by TheGoldenGreek33, 05 April 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#37 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hagadone final line: 2 2/3 IP, 3 R (0 earned), 2 H, 2 K(one swinging, one looking)/4 BB, 4 GO/2 AO, 65 pitches (36 strikes, 29 balls)

PBP announcer had him hitting 98.

A lot of bad luck for the kid on his debut. The ump seemed to be squeezing him and the defense committed four errors.

TGG, were you at the game? I don't think you could draw that kind of impression from his line alone, so I'm guessing either you were there or you watched it on mlb.tv. Either way, assuming you actually saw the game, was he hitting his spots? And was he working in his secondary pitches or mostly just the fastball?

That's good news that he was apparently hitting 98 (even if it's a ramped up gun and really was 95 or something).

#38 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:54 AM

TGG, were you at the game? I don't think you could draw that kind of impression from his line alone, so I'm guessing either you were there or you watched it on mlb.tv. Either way, assuming you actually saw the game, was he hitting his spots? And was he working in his secondary pitches or mostly just the fastball?

That's good news that he was apparently hitting 98 (even if it's a ramped up gun and really was 95 or something).

I wasn't. I listened through the broadcast and I agree that I can't, for a fact, say that the ump was squeezing him. It was just an assumption, and more than likely false. I apologize for that. The announcer said multiple times that Hagadone had 'just missed', so I took that is he was squeezing him (since he normally has pretty decent control), when in fact, Nick could've been just missing.

On the other hand, I did watch his start tonight on milb.tv. Final line for Hagadone read:

5 IP, 2 H, 7 K/0 BB, 5 GB/4 FB through 69 pitches (49 strikes, 20 balls).

He was simply overpowering tonight. The original reading of 98 mph by the stadium gun was off the other night, he was actually hitting 92-93 on the Sox gun. Very reliable reports had him sitting at 94-95 tonight, possessing very good control of both sides of the plate. It was clearly too much for the hitters. I thought his slider showed good and sometimes great movement. He got a lot of called strikes there. He only threw two change-ups that I saw. The first one, to me, looked like he slowed his arm speed down on it, though I'd take that with a grain of salt because I could be wrong. He still got the hitter to swing and miss, nonetheless. A couple innings later he threw one to end the inning that showed much better arm action and the hitter was a mile out in front of it. I know he didn't need to throw it but I think he should start working on improving it. He left the ball up his last inning a bit but was still consistantly hitting 94-95.

Above all, he doesn't need to be wasting his time in A-ball. The only way he'll start implementing the change up more is by facing tougher hitters in a tougher park.

Edited by TheGoldenGreek33, 11 April 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#39 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

I wasn't. I listened through the broadcast and I agree that I can't, for a fact, say that the ump was squeezing him. It was just an assumption, and more than likely false. I apologize for that. The announcer said multiple times that Hagadone had 'just missed', so I took that is he was squeezing him (since he normally has pretty decent control), when in fact, Nick could've been just missing.

On the other hand, I did watch his start tonight on milb.tv. Final line for Hagadone read:

5 IP, 2 H, 7 K/0 BB, 5 GB/4 FB through 69 pitches (49 strikes, 20 balls).

He was simply overpowering tonight. The original reading of 98 mph by the stadium gun was off the other night, he was actually hitting 92-93 on the Sox gun. Very reliable reports had him sitting at 94-95 tonight, possessing very good control of both sides of the plate. It was clearly too much for the hitters. I thought his slider showed good and sometimes great movement. He got a lot of called strikes there. He only threw two change-ups that I saw. The first one, to me, looked like he slowed his arm speed down on it, though I'd take that with a grain of salt because I could be wrong. He still got the hitter to swing and miss, nonetheless. A couple innings later he threw one to end the inning that showed much better arm action and the hitter was a mile out in front of it. I know he didn't need to throw it but I think he should start working on improving it. He left the ball up his last inning a bit but was still consistantly hitting 94-95.

Above all, he doesn't need to be wasting his time in A-ball. The only way he'll start implementing the change up more is by facing tougher hitters in a tougher park.

Thanks for the update. You keep beating me to it, heh. I'm really hoping to see him get to AA this season. Of course, with the state of our bullpen, we might need him in the major league pen by the end of the year, heh.

#40 Quintanariffic

• 4,418 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

amfox1 over at SoxProspects is reporting that Hagadone left today's start against Greensboro in the 3rd inning and was pointing to his elbow when the trainer visited the mound. Obviously doesn't sound great, but that's all there is right now.

#41 amfox1

• 3,377 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

According to a source in Greenville, Hagadone felt some tightness in the lower portion of the arm and was taken out for precautionary measures. Good news, hopefully.

#42 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

According to a source in Greenville, Hagadone felt some tightness in the lower portion of the arm and was taken out for precautionary measures. Good news, hopefully.

We'll keep our fingers crossed. Thanks for the update.

#43 Crazy Puppy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Although starting pitcher Nick Hagadone left the game with one out in the third inning with an arm injury, Greenville manager Kevin Boles believes the ailment is minor.

"He just had a little tightness (in his throwing arm, a little below the elbow)," said Boles. "That’s it. It was just precautionary at this point. It looks like he is going to be fine."

Link

#44 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Link

It's been 6 days since this update and I haven't seen any new news. Greenville's site has no updates and milb.com has nothing either. Has anyone heard anything?

#45 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3,688 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

It's been 6 days since this update and I haven't seen any new news. Greenville's site has no updates and milb.com has nothing either. Has anyone heard anything?

From Soxprospects.com

Nick Hagadone
SP, Greenville (DL) 22 2007
1st 1-1 0.00 12 6 7-9
● Placed on the DL with lingering arm stiffness; not considered serious

#46 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3,688 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

http://redsoxprospec....com/topic/2792
:(

#47 Pxer

• 412 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

http://redsoxprospec....com/topic/2792
:(

Please let it be a mistake.

This really comes as a surprise because I never thought of him as much of a TJ candidate at this point of his career.  Let's hope he makes a nice recovery next year.

#48 SinCitySoxFan1973

• 325 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

Please let it be a mistake.

This really comes as a surprise because I never thought of him as much of a TJ candidate at this point of his career. Let's hope he makes a nice recovery next year.

Confirmed:

I can confirm Nick's surgery... yes, he's having surgery on his UCL next Tuesday by Dr James Andrews. His UCL was 75% torn.

Nick's comments to me were that "he just wants to get the surgery over so that he can start rehab".

Folks, I can tell you one thing... if there is ever a person who can handle something like this, it's him. He's a unique kid. Strong in many ways.

People like to say that Nick didn't have alot of "miles" on his arm... true in a sense, but he threw alot growing up. Threw the football alot too. He's had many changes to his mechanics recently (at Univ of Wash, and then again now that he's with the Red Sox)... who knows, maybe that ligament has been stressed over time more people realize.

He said that he hurt it throwing his changeup... he's been working on that pitch the most recently, and he said he just opened up his front half early, and his arm was kind of dragging a little bit and he heard a pop. He threw about 10 more pitches... he didn't think it was torn, though.

Like I said... he's quite a kid, who was just beginning to realize his own ceiling. He'll be back.

#49 LondonSox

• Robert the Deuce

• 5,120 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

I didn't want to say it just in case but forearm tightness and pulled mid inning was never sounding good.

Greenville prospects hurting and lancaster being lancaster. Bugger.

Good luck Nick, hope you're ok

#50 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,912 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

I don't understand why teams still try to disguise these injuries. Forearm tightness, triceps strain, etc. Anything around the elbow is likely caused by the elbow and in more cases when you see these injuries listed TJ surgery is not far behind.

Hopefully the surgery goes well and Nick rehabs hard to get back.