Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox draft Ryan Dent, #62 overall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9244 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:37 PM

Ryan Dent, ss
http://www.brewerfan...r...3&draftId=5

"Height/Weight: 6-0 / 185
Date of Birth: 3/15/89
School: Wilson (CA)
Brewerfan.net Rank: 44

"Dent is an exciting, multi-tooled shortstop that resembles Rafael Furcal in that he has some pop in his bat, has great speed and solid defensive tools for the shortstop position. He turned a lot of heads playing for the Reds Scout Team at the WWBA tournament in Jupiter, and profiles perfectly at the top of the batting order. His speed makes him a threat on the basepaths, and gives him very good range in the infield. He has a good, strong arm, and his bat is made for contact. He makes consistent, hard contact, and can drive the ball from gap to gap, using his wheels to turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples, with enough over the fence power to make him a name to watch next spring. He has committed to play for UCLA."

Tomase in the Herald:
With their second sandwich pick (No. 62), the Sox selected California high schooler Ryan Dent, who’s considered one of the fastest players in the draft. The middle infielder has been compared to Rafael Furcal."

#2 SoxFanPJ

• call me Chester

• 3854 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:19 AM

Pre-Draft article on Dent's signability.

Dent, who helped lead the Bruins to the CIF Southern Section Division I championship last week and a probable No. 1 finish in most of the national team ratings, signed a letter of intent with Super Regional participant UCLA, which went 3-0 over the weekend at Blair Field.

And the Bruins apparently believe it's a real possibility he could be offered enough of a signing bonus to leave that UCLA scholarship on the table and start his professional career sans a college stop.

http://www.presstele...orts/ci_6062480

#3 SouthPaw21

• 1218 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

Dent's high school team (Wilson High School), did go on to finish the season as the #1 team in the country according to the Baseball America/National High School Baseball Coaches Association Top 50 poll. Baseball America did an article (LINK) on Dent and his teamates.

...But when the Bruins weren't out-executing their opponents, they could rely on superior talent with senior shortstop Ryan Dent and junior center fielder Aaron Hicks, who doubled as the team's closer.

Dent was one of the nation's best middle infield prospects who, before being drafted in the supplemental first-round by the Red Sox, capped his four-year varsity career with a .468 average, seven triples, 28 stolen bases and a mind-blowing 30-7 walk-strikeout ratio.

#4 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Dent signed.

He turned down a full ride at UCLA and signed with the Boston Red Sox because “I wanted a head start in the game, get in the system early and learn that style of game play. I felt I was ready to deal with the minors.”

He knows it will be “tough. Wake up early. Work out from 9 to 11 a.m. Games from noon to 1 p.m. Have a little free time, then go to bed early.” But first he’s going down to San Diego to join up with the Boston Red Sox.

Dent says he loves baseball because of “the competition involved. It’s a team sport and one guy can’t win it. Anybody can play. You don’t have to be a big guy; you can be any shape or size. I like sliding and getting dirty. I love it. It’s in my blood.”

Edited by Section15Box113, 22 June 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#5 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 24678 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

Dent signed.

He considers Derek Jeter a role model because of “the way he respects the game and is a team leader. He’s not a party animal. He plays hard and represents his team well.”

Okay, so he's not perfect.

#6 Drocca

• darrell foster wallace

• 15131 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

You're probably joking but I think that's an absolute awesome outlook and "role model" to have.

Edited by Drocca, 22 June 2007 - 02:33 PM.

#7 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 8704 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

He knows it will be “tough. Wake up early. Work out from 9 to 11 a.m. Games from noon to 1 p.m. Have a little free time, then go to bed early.”

Sounds rough.

#8 Razor Shines

• 3486 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

You're probably joking but I think that's an absolute awesome outlook and "role model" to have.

Even though he's dead wrong on the "party animal" part. CI was (not as much these days) probably the biggest scenester on that franchise since Mickey Mantle's diseased liver graced the Manhattan nightlife circuit.

He's still a good on-field role model to have though, I concur.

Edited by Razor Shines, 22 June 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#9 yanquis1972

• Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

You also have to, assuming he has an iq over 80, admire the guys balls in saying that.

#10 Ortizzleforshizzle

• 52 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but where are they sending Dent to first?

#11 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9970 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but where are they sending Dent to first?

The GCL Red Sox.

#12 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9244 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:06 AM

The Glob today says that Dent has not in fact signed yet. He's "expected to sign in the next few weeks," but he hasn't yet. I believe that was in the Sox notebook today.

#13 SouthPaw21

• 1218 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

The Boston Globe had a small update on Dent in today's paper...

The Red Sox are "actively involved" in discussions with their second pick (No. 62) in the 2007 draft, Ryan Dent. The Sox remain confident a deal will be finalized.

#14 ghost of Juan Pena

• 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Sox officially sign Ryan Dent for $571,000.

Edit: Use link below, I messed up the one I tried to post.

Edited by ghost of Juan Pena, 14 August 2007 - 09:54 AM.

#15 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

Sox officially sign Ryan Dent for $571,000.

link

Functional link for the Dent signing

Great news.

#16 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9970 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:34 AM

Functional link for the Dent signing

Great news.

I'd imagine he was signed weeks ago and they just couldn't announce it. Overall thats one less signing to get done now.

#17 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

You know, I still can't get over the fact that Dent was rumored to be signed at a specific number and then that story and the deal just died. Rumors of signings are often wrong or premature, of course, but not usually when a specific number is leaked into the story. When that happens it's because that's the number.

That Dent, who by pedigree was not an overslot tough sign type, ended up signing for just under Hagadone's bonus is perhaps interesting in light of the deal that never happened. After the draft the Sox - McLeod maybe? Epstein? - was quoted that the Sox had Hagadone and Dent back to back on their draft board. In theory, it's possible that Dent was going to take his quick slot deal and then backed out when he realized he was going to get ~60k less, or whatever, than Hagadone despite the Sox publicly stating that he he was just behind Hagadone on their board.

#18 DieHard3

• SoSH Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8864 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

You know, I still can't get over the fact that Dent was rumored to be signed at a specific number and then that story and the deal just died. Rumors of signings are often wrong or premature, of course, but not usually when a specific number is leaked into the story. When that happens it's because that's the number.

That Dent, who by pedigree was not an overslot tough sign type, ended up signing for just under Hagadone's bonus is perhaps interesting in light of the deal that never happened. After the draft the Sox - McLeod maybe? Epstein? - was quoted that the Sox had Hagadone and Dent back to back on their draft board. In theory, it's possible that Dent was going to take his quick slot deal and then backed out when he realized he was going to get ~60k less, or whatever, than Hagadone despite the Sox publicly stating that he he was just behind Hagadone on their board.

Maybe, but it seems entirely silly from everyone's standpoint -- Dent's, the Red Sox, MLB -- to have a high school kid miss out on two months of development and professional coaching because he's a 2nd round pick getting 50K more than slot money. Couldn't they just have given him a slot bonus and an extra $50K in salary?