Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox draft LHP Nick Hagadone with first pick, #55 overall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,454 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

LHP from Washington, closed for his team this year but started before that.

http://www.minorleag...jsp?mc=hagadone

Rough Carrigan points out: "Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus had Hagadone rated the 39th best player available and said this about him:

Pros: Big lefty closer can touch 95 mph with his fastball, and his slider rates as plus. Throws not only strikes with both pitches but, well located strikes.

Cons: Future role as starter or closer is undefined; lacks big league closer velocity."

Can touch 95, but sounds like he sits lower than that, hard to tell with the contradictory comments from Goldstein.

Here's a nice puff piece on him from his college paper, talks about his ability to handle pressure. Nice quality to have if you are going to hopefully be pitching in Fenway one day:

http://www.thedaily....sWhereverHeGoes

Edited by The Gray Eagle, 07 June 2007 - 11:51 PM.

#2 Tudor Fever

• 3,407 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

Here are his stats. Not very impressive until this year, when he posted a 6-1 mark with a 2.77 ERA in 25 appearances and 68 1/3 innings. 72 Ks, 17 BB. He did, however, give up 12 unearned runs, which is a lot.

#3 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2,964 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

Can touch 95, but sounds like he sits lower than that, hard to tell with the contradictory comments from Goldstein.

I was wondering if pehaps he can dial it up in limited innnings as a closer, but generally came in in the low 90s as a starter.

I don't understand the confusion in the draft game thread. He's a starter who was moved to the pen out of need, but supposedly still threw multiple innings. I'd be very surprised if the Sox have him pegged as a releiver.

#4 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,454 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

More on Hagadone:

http://pgcrosschecke...ton_leadin.aspx

Rank  Player                                  Pos.       Yr     B-T      HT     WT     School                             Hometown                 drafted:
     1.   Nick Hagadone                    LHP      Jr.     L-L     6-5     230     U. of Washington            Sumner                       Mariners ’04         

born: 1-1-86

SCOUTING REPORT: Scouts still hold out hope for Hagadone as a starting pitcher because he has two above-average pitches and the makings of a third, but his game went to another level this spring when he moved back to a closer role. His fastball, just 86-87 mph in 2006, zoomed to 91-94; his slider became a dominant pitch with good bite and depth that gave lefthanded hitters fits. Not only did his stuff get much better, but the command of his pitches showed similar improvement. After working only four innings as a freshman and spending most of 2006 in relief, Hagadone was slated to replace 2006 first-rounder Tim Lincecum at the head of the Huskies rotation this year. But the plan lasted only two starts because of injuries on the Washington staff, and his impact in his return to his old role was both immediate and dramatic. Almost overnight he became a longshot to go in the first round. Hagadone went 6-1, 2.77 with 11 saves on the season, with 72 strikeouts and only 17 strikeouts in 68 innings. That was in stark contrast to 2006, when he also abandoned a starting role to go to the bullpen but went only 2-2, 4.24 with 25 walks and 36 strikeouts in 56 innings. Even though Hagadone established a comfort zone as a closer this year, there will be a temptation on the part of the team that drafts him to insert him as a starter because of his delivery and extra-large frame, and to maximize his three-pitch mix, which includes a changeup with good fading action. His repertoire also includes an effective split-finger.

The Seattle paper has a nice quote that his agent probably won't like:

http://seattlepi.nws...4_locals08.html

"A day earlier, he had spoken with an area scout from the Boston Red Sox, who told him if he were still on the board when the 55th pick they owned came up, he would be the team's likely selection.

"I couldn't pay attention to anything else," Hagadone said. "I was nervous. I really wanted to get picked by the Red Sox, and I couldn't do anything but sit around hoping it would happen." "I'm signing, for sure," Hagadone said. "No way I'm coming back. I mean, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my time at UW, but I definitely want to get my professional career started. Especially going into a situation like Boston, which is the best-run organization in baseball."

from Tomase in the Herald:

http://www.bostonher.../redSox/?p=1304

Just got off the phone with Red Sox top pick Nick Hagadone. Here are some highlights:

* The 6-5, 230-pound left-hander went 6-1 with a 2.77 ERA and 11 saves in 25 appearances. He began the year as a starter, shifted to closer, and never looked back.“The coaches felt it would help the team more if I was closer and could just shut the door when we were ahead,” Hagadone said. “There was no hesitation, but I was definitely disappointed, because I had worked so hard to be a starter. Once I made it, though, it worked out really well. It was a fun job, pitching in all of the bigger situations. I wouldn’t change anything.”

* He found out he had been drafted by seeing it on the MLB draft tracker before getting the call from scout John Booher.

* Washington hired a new trainer this year and he switched his workout routine from bench pressing (he put up over 300 pounds) to do more squats, back and core exercises. Part of his inspiration was Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum, who generates most of his velocity because of flexibility, not strength.

* College teammate and RHP Richie Lentz was drafted by the Sox in the 19th round last year. He plans on calling him shortly.

* Hagadone was only a marginal draft prospect when last year ended, throwing in the mid-80s with a slow, slurvy slider. His altered fitness regimen upped the fastball to the mid-90s and his slider to 81 mph with bite.

“At the beginning of the year I wasn’t even on anyone’s radar,” Hagadone said. “I’m just happy to get the opportunity, and I’m really happy that I was picked as high as I was. Boston’s one of the best organizations in major league baseball and it’s a privilege to be selected by them.”

* Hagadone enters the farm system from a section of the draft where the Sox have struck gold in recent years, be it Rookie of the Year candidate Dustin Pedroia (65th, 2004), or top pitching prospects Clay Buchholz (42nd, 2005) and Michael Bowden (47th, 2005).

* If there’s a question about Hagadone, it’s his delivery. Washington coaches eschew the traditional teachings of balance point and staying back in favor of being quick to the plate. While Hagadone’s arm action is fairly long and fluid, the rest of his delivery will likely need to be lengthened.

“Whatever they think will get me to Boston is what I’m willing to do,” he said. “I have no preference. I just want an opportunity to make it to the big leagues.”

#5 SouthPaw21

• 1,220 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

There was a piece in the Boston Herald about Hagadone today...

Hagadone on way
University of Washington left-hander Nick Hagadone, the Sox’ top draft pick earlier this month, was on hand for last night’s game. He and the Sox said a deal is close, and that he will begin the season with the short-season Lowell Spinners before heading to the Instructional League in September.

Hagadone spoke with a few players, including Josh Beckett and Jonathan Papelbon, and said he was “really excited” about joining the ballclub.

Growing up in Washington, Hagadone rooted for Ken Griffey Jr. and the Mariners. That all ended on June 7.

“I switched over immediately,” he said. . . .