Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

What to do with Pick #5: Yi Jianlian Sweepstakes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
411 replies to this topic

#401 bsan34

• 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Please, God, let Yi be gone at #3.

#402 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

According to Katz.

Boston keeping pick, Yi leading wish list at 5, Brewer or Green is plan B if Yi is gone.

I interpreted it differently. Brewer and Green are still in play at 5 even if Yi is still on the board. As Katz said, there is still some "spirited discussion" going on.

#403 bsan34

• 167 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

I interpreted it differently. Brewer and Green are still in play at 5 even if Yi is still on the board. As Katz said, there is still some "spirited discussion" going on.

So, Danny's trying to sell Doc on another project, and Doc's saying "fuck this, give me someone who can play now."

#404 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

Yi 90%
Green 7%
Brewer 3%

and thats the correct order IMO.

Edited by SoxScout, 27 June 2007 - 09:36 PM.

#405 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

Everyone watch this piece on Yi... I'm sure it will be most of yours first exposure to him other than knowing him as "that Chinese guy".

#406 Captaincoop

• SoSH Member

• 5202 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

That is a lot of money to play with for a FA to add to a roster that already has Al/ Horford/ Brewer/ Rondo.

Considering that the last all-star who signed as a FA with Boston was Dennis Johnson in 1983, I don't think we should rely on that. It is pretty obvious at this point that NBA players want nothing to do with the Celtics. Until we start winning again, anyway. I don't see us having a better chance to improve than we do this offseason with the #5 pick, some ok young players, and the Theo insurance policy. If we can't obtain some talent now, we never will under Danny.

#407 JohnnyTheBone

• 4072 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

Considering that the last all-star who signed as a FA with Boston was Dennis Johnson in 1983, I don't think we should rely on that.

Dennis Johnson was acquired in a trade for Rick Robey. A classic Auerbach heist.

#408 Drek717

• 1989 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

I honestly wouldn't mind taking Yi. He's big, athletic, and has good skills. He obviously isn't NBA ready but thats been the norm for our picks in the past.

The lottery shafted us pretty hard this year and short of Horford or Conley sliding to #5 we're looking at a host of guys with similar bust potential to Yi, or very little ceiling. At least Yi has a tremendous ceiling and who knows, maybe taking him for financial reasons pays off in the end by getting enough cash flowing in for ownership to loosen the purse strings some. Of course that'll be after Ainge and Rivers are shown the door, not something many of us would really complain about.

#409 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5920 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

Question is, will Atlanta surprise us and take Yi?

#410 nighthob

• 2832 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:32 PM

I just can't see what separates a Jeff Green from a Ryan Gomes. They're both smart players, Green is more athletic, but similar builds really. Both are "glue" guys who do the little things and don't demand the ball. Capable rebounders and scorers, maybe Green is a bit better defensively... I just can'i't see us needing a "glue" guy when we're not even close to being assembled. We need talent, and I see Green as somewhat redundant on a roster with a player like Gomes. You can't play 5 of those guys.

Well, I think the fact that Green is athletic enough to guard SFs and tall enough to guard PFs is what really separates him from Gomes. I'd rather have Green and trade Gomes.

Edited by nighthob, 27 June 2007 - 11:32 PM.

#411 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20751 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

Atlanta appears to be in the perfect organizational condition to make an error of mammoth proportions. Their ownership is so bitterly divided and legally entangled that they couldn't pull the trigger on a trade to acquire Amare Stoudamire. Billy Knight can't seem to draft for need OR for best-player-available: he has blown all lottery picks within living memory -- Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, and Josh Childress have been devastating wastes of high draft picks; Josh Smith is pretty good for a 16th (?) pick.

So what is the worst plausible pick that the Hawks could make? Three possibilities occur to me -- Yi for marketing reasons, B Wright for high ceiling, Conley for need.

#412 nighthob

• 2832 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

Only if there is a God. Steve Belkin just buttfucked that poor franchise, again. At this point I'm surprised that Stern hasn't summoned the Board of Governors to ban him for life.