Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Hughes' MLB Debut Thursday vs. Blue Jays

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
199 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

ESPN is saying that WFAN is reporting he is starting Thursday...

His MiLB numbers this year:
Table
G IP ERA RA WHIP DIPS xERA ERC BABIP BR/9 H/9 HR/9 K/9 BB/9 K/BB
Philip Hughes 3 16.0 3.94 3.94 0.94 2.00 1.32 1.95 .281 9.0 6.2 0.0 9.6 2.3 4.3

Edited by SoxScout, 23 April 2007 - 05:13 PM.

#2 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,360 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

ESPN is saying that WFAN is reporting he is starting Thursday...

His MiLB numbers this year:

Table
G IP ERA RA WHIP DIPS xERA ERC BABIP BR/9 H/9 HR/9 K/9 BB/9 K/BB
Philip Hughes 3 16.0 3.94 3.94 0.94 2.00 1.32 1.95 .281 9.0 6.2 0.0 9.6 2.3 4.3

They are really panicking now. I assume he is taking Karstens' spot in the rotation. I wish we could get a crack at him during the weekend.

#3 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:20 PM

By game:

Game 1: 5.0 IP 2 H 2 ER 2 BB 6 SO
Game 2: 5.0 IP 7 H 5 ER 2 BB 1 SO
Game 3: 6.0 IP 2 H 0 ER 0 BB 10 SO

Incidentally, I fully believe that if his Game 3 start was his Game 2 start, he would have been the one called up last week instead of Wright. I think they were just waiting for him to have a truly dominating start first.

#4 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

They are really panicking now. I assume he is taking Karstens' spot in the rotation. I wish we could get a crack at him during the weekend.

He is starting Thursday (I think he would have pitched in AAA tomorrow, so he is obviously being held out of that) night (which would have been Karstens night).

You guys will get to face Karstens again on Friday.

So obviously they want to protect him a little bit by not exposing him to the Red Sox in his debut.

#5 Jack Sox

• 3,325 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Seems like the Yankees are panicking to me. I highly doubt they would call him up if he wasn't going to be a mainstay in the rotation. And if he's a mainstay in the rotation on April 26th, as a 20 year old, that has recipe for disaster all over it. Especially with several of the other Yankee starters not being able to go deep into games. They may try and push this kid to get more innings out of him than a 20 year old arm should get. Should be interesting to watch.

#6 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

He is starting Thursday (I think he would have pitched in AAA tomorrow, so he is obviously being held out of that) night (which would have been Karstens night).

You guys will get to face Karstens again on Friday.

So obviously they want to protect him a little bit by not exposing him to the Red Sox in his debut.

Gosh what is wrong with pitching Rasner instead of Karstens against the Sox. Rasner pitched great on Thursday.

And I guess this is a little bit of a panic move, but why the heck not. He could solve a huge problem in a big way. If he pitches well I assume he stays until Pavano returns (hahahahhahahahahhahahaha).

#7 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

Gosh what is wrong with pitching Rasner instead of Karstens against the Sox. Rasner pitched great on Thursday.

Rasner was optioned down last Thursday and can't be recalled yet.

#8 TBONE95860

• 104 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

How is it a panick move?

He is our #1 prospect and we just let a guy who had barely ANY experience in Wright pitch 2 MLB games, 1 vs Boston.
Hughes should be in the rotation over him, and/if not Karstens too.

However, the rotation is now set for......

Wed = Pettitte
Thur = Hughes
Fri = Karstens
Sat = Igawa
Sun = Wang

#9 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

They may try and push this kid to get more innings out of him than a 20 year old arm should get. Should be interesting to watch.

I don't think they will do that.

If he has a pitch count, he has a pitch count.

Quite often Torre has too quick of a hook with his starters (hence more bullpen abuse) anyway. If he is given strict orders about pitch counts, then it'll be followed regardless of the bullpen.

#10 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,360 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

It looks like to me that they had seen enough of Mr. Wright last night and needed a spot to fill in the rotation.

Joe Torre just said the Yankees will start Phil Hughes against the Blue Jays on Thursday.

Jeff Karstens will face the Red Sox on Friday followed by Kei Igawa and Chien-Ming Wang.

Hughes had been scheduled to start for Class AAA Scranton tomorrow. He instead threw in the bullpen today and will be in New York on Wednesday. They will activate him on Thursday.

“We’ll see,” said Torre when asked how long Hughes would stay with the club.
Torre said the organization decided Hughes was the best choice to fill the need.

“It’s necessary for us but I don’t think it’s the wrong thing for him,” Torre said.

Link

#11 Mike in CT

• 2,125 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

Who gets bumped off the 40 man? Or did they already have a spot?

#12 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure if they had a spot, but Sanchez just had Tommy John surgery, so if a spot wasn't available, it is very easy to move him to the 60-day DL.

#13 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

I believe there was a spot open, and Jose Veras and Humberto Sanchez going on the 60 day DL...

#14 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,225 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

It's good to see they're being patient with Hughes.

#15 bball831

• 4,787 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

How is it a panick move?

He is our #1 prospect and we just let a guy who had barely ANY experience in Wright pitch 2 MLB games, 1 vs Boston.
Hughes should be in the rotation over him, and/if not Karstens too.

However, the rotation is now set for......

Wed = Pettitte
Thur = Hughes
Fri = Karstens
Sat = Igawa
Sun = Wang

Don't forget Pettitte will also pitch in relief on Friday.

I don't think this is a panic move. Who else do they have? He's definitely a better option than Wright and probably Karstens. If they feel he's ready for it then why not do it. It will be exciting to see and if he pitches well he gives the Yanks a shot in the arm that could help jumpstart them just as guys come back.

#16 kartvelo

• 3,850 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

If he's as good as they hope, it's not a panic move... they just need someone due to injuries and he's their best option at the moment.

#17 Cornboy14

• 905 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

I don't think this is a panic move. What's wrong with using one of their 5 best starters (Hughes is unquestionably just that)? I guess there is something to be said for letting him dominate at AAA, but it's not like he's the first prospect to (nearly) skip that level. This guy absolutely dominated AA last season. Odds are he'll be good this season in the majors.

I doubt very much they'll leave him out for 100+ pitches.

Edited by Cornboy14, 23 April 2007 - 06:03 PM.

#18 Toe Nash

• 3,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

This isn't a panic move. It's the smart move. There's evidence that pitching prospects don't really "develop" past a certain point and they may as well be in the majors once they've shown they can pitch. I would have actually started the year with Hughes in the rotation after Wang went down. And he's the consensus top pitching prospect in the game.

It's the smart move; and he won't be thrown into the fire against the Red Sox either. Bringing him up now instead of early June as was speculated should win the Yankees another 2 or 3 games. Hopefully it won't matter.

#19 941827

• 3,336 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

It is a move borne out of necessity (i.e., the Schilling-as-closer debacle last year). They clearly think Wright is not ready for prime time, they can't afford to have any of their relievers become a starter at this point, and they've got no other options, so up Hughes comes.

That said, two big MFY mantras during the off-season were "We won't use Mariano for more than one inning per appearance" and "We won't call up Hughes before June." If the Red Sox started acting in a manner directly contrary to their well-laid plans in mid-April as the MFY are doing now, this site would be melting down.

Edited by 941827, 23 April 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#20 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 7,031 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

This isn't a panic move. It's the smart move. There's evidence that pitching prospects don't really "develop" past a certain point and they may as well be in the majors once they've shown they can pitch.

What evidence are you talking about, because it seems to me that conventional wisdom states that a pitcher needs a certain amount of innings to really figure out how to pitch and not to throw.

Maybe he can do that in the major leagues, but confidence is a fragile thing. So are 20-year-old arms.

I think this is a panic move.

#21 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,947 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Appears to be a total panic move. Unless you're sure you have Doc Gooden on your hands - which I guess could be true - I'd say you let him pitch this season in the minors. He's young and it's very tough to pitch in New York.

#22 cmaff05

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

According to Cashman, his time in the majors ends when Moose comes back from the DL

http://yankees.lohud...chise/#comments

Just spoke to Brian Cashman. He said Phil Hughes’ stay with the Yankees is directly tied to how long Mike Mussina is on the disabled list.

“He could be here for one start, it depends on when Moose comes back,” the GM said.

I asked Cashman why they had abandoned their development plan for Hughes so quickly.

“I always said that those were theories. The reality of the season and our needs took precedence. We need a starter and he is the player best prepared to give us a start,” Cashman said.

So he probably won't be in the majors for long.

Edited by cmaff05, 23 April 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#23 Bob420

• 808 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

If Hughes pitches relatively well and doesn't look overmatched, he will get another start.

#24 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,592 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

I don't believe this is a panic move at all. It's a move born of necessity. They need a healthy arm.

Frankly the pressure on Hughes will be far lower now than it would be if he were to continue his minor league tear for another 5-6 weeks. By then, he'd have built up an almost insurmountable standard of expectation. By bringing him up this week, he's only got one dominant start backing him up.

Even if Hughes struggles or gets hit hard Thursday, it's a manageable situation provided the Yankees handle guys like Hughes and Wright properly. That means explaining to them that there's no way in holy hell they'd ordinarily be called up to the show, that their performance (good or bad) will in no way affect how the team views them going forward, and that they're most likely headed back down as soon as staff health improves.

The kid's a month shy of his 20th b-day, and he made mincemeat of AAA batters in his last outing. If I'm Brian Cashman, I roll the dice here.

Edited by mabrowndog, 23 April 2007 - 06:40 PM.

#25 25 cabs

• 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

I'm really not sure how this can be interpreted as anything but a panic move? It's pretty much the epitome of one. Whether it winds up being a disaster or works out remains to be seen but it is CERTAINLY a panic move on their part.

And for everyone that is saying that you don't think they'll pitch him too much, he'll be on a pitch count or whatever; what makes you think that? In the last week Torre has brought in Mo in the 8th to try to get 5 outs when he clearly stated he wasn't going to do this year, has brought his only healthy and best starter in in relief, TWICE. Had Josh Phelps catching last night. Crips, what would make you think that he won't push Hughes if he is put between a rock and a hardspot? Especially when he and Cash's jobs might quite possibly be on the line?

Panic move. I love it. Squirm mother F'ers.

#26 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 8,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

Of course it's a panic move. It's the definition of a panic move. Not unlike when the Sox called up Lester early last year.

I mean, is Hughes ready to face Wells and Thomas? That has to be the test.

#27 Jack Sox

• 3,325 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

I don't think they will do that.

If he has a pitch count, he has a pitch count.

Quite often Torre has too quick of a hook with his starters (hence more bullpen abuse) anyway. If he is given strict orders about pitch counts, then it'll be followed regardless of the bullpen.

In theory I agree with you. But in practice, I'm not so sure. Say the Yankee starters aren't going deep into games and the bullpen is getting absolutely taxed, it's tempting for Torre - hell anyone to ride a starter to log innings. If he's up in April, I assume it's for the long haul and the long haul for the Yankees usually leads into October baseball. So even with a strict pitch count, you're looking at a significant upgrade in innings pitched. And for a young pitcher a big upgrade in innings pitched rarely leads to good things, and with such a young stud pitcher like Hughes, I'm surprised they're risking it. But like everyone else has said in this thread, the Yankees really don't have many other options short of a trade to or to keep trotting out Karstens, Wright, or Rasner over and over again. I'm just not sure it's wise this early, but we shall see.

#28 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Of course it's a panic move. It's the definition of a panic move. Not unlike when the Sox called up Lester early last year.

I mean, is Hughes ready to face Wells and Thomas? That has to be the test.

He struck out Justin Morneau in ST for what it's worth.

#29 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

I don't believe this is a panic move at all. It's a move born of necessity. They need a healthy arm.

Frankly the pressure on Hughes will be far lower now than it would be if he were to continue his minor league tear for another 5-6 weeks. By then, he'd have built up an almost insurmountable standard of expectation. By bringing him up this week, he's only got one dominant start backing him up.

Even if Hughes struggles or gets hit hard Thursday, it's a manageable situation provided the Yankees handle guys like Hughes and Wright properly. That means explaining to them that there's no way in holy hell they'd ordinarily be called up to the show, that their performance (good or bad) will in no way affect how the team views them going forward, and that they're most likely headed back down as soon as staff health improves.

The kid's a month shy of his 20th b-day, and he made mincemeat of AAA batters in his last outing. If I'm Brian Cashman, I roll the dice here.

Very well said. I don't see how the Yankees lose here unless Aaron Hill hits the ball off his face. If he stinks, send him back to AAA with the excuse of Moose coming back. If he is good you keep him on the roster until if ever Pavano rertuns and perhaps by the time he has established himself.

#30 Jack Sox

• 3,325 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

According to Cashman, his time in the majors ends when Moose comes back from the DL

http://yankees.lohud...chise/#comments
So he probably won't be in the majors for long.

Ahhh, that's more understandable. Thanks for posting that.

#31 25 cabs

• 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

"According to Cashman, his time in the majors ends when Moose comes back from the DL

[url="http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/04/23/c...chise/#comments""]http://yankees.lohud.../c...#comments"[/url]

^ I mean, how can that be taken other than with barely a grain of salt? They just said a month ago that Hughes wouldn't even see the big club this year unless it was a cup of coffee, they said they wouldn't pitch Mo multiple innings etc.etc.

And for the person who said how can this hurt unless he gets hit in the face with a line drive, well... See Hansen, Craig circa 2006-2007.

The real worry should be that if he DOES pitch well, then what? The pressure is on then to keep him up and I really can't see him pitching deep into October if thats how it works out for N.Y. That's the problem with this, I can't see either way ending well for the kid (which makes me giddy)

Scenario A) Hughes comes up and dominates which leads to him pitching 230+ innings which I think we can all agree is not good.

Scenario B) It's a disaster and sets back his development.

Either way is fine with me, but I'd be a bit worried if I was a MFY fan........

#32 MidnightC

• 1,662 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

I don't think this is a panic move as much as necessity. But man could this backfire. The kid's made three starts above double-A and now he's going to face major leaguers? That's not easy for anyone to do, "phenom" or no.

This is almost exactly what happened with the Sox and Lester last year, only a lot earlier. Lester had to wait until June.

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.

#33 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

"According to Cashman, his time in the majors ends when Moose comes back from the DL

[url="http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/04/23/c...chise/#comments""]http://yankees.lohud.../c...#comments"[/url]
^ I mean, how can that be taken other than with barely a grain of salt? They just said a month ago that Hughes wouldn't even see the big club this year unless it was a cup of coffee, they said they wouldn't pitch Mo multiple innings etc.etc.
And for the person who said how can this hurt unless he gets hit in the face with a line drive, well... See Hansen, Craig circa 2006-2007.

Well Hughes has spent much more time in the minors than Hansen did before he was called up.

#34 EvilEmpire

• 4,914 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

Scenario C: Hughes comes up for a game or two and then goes back to AAA when Moose comes back.

#35 dcdrew10

• 965 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

Well Hughes has spent much more time in the minors than Hansen did before he was called up.

Look at Hansen now. The reason this looks like a panic move is the Sox just swept the Yankees at home for the first time since 1990, Fruitbat was brought in in the Eighth to hold a lead and ended up blowing it, even though Torre said Mo would be strictly a one inning reliever, and Torre pulled Andy PettiTTe out of the pen to pitch in relief. It looks like Torre does not have faith in his relievers and the Yankees front office does not have faith in the starters and they can't figure out what to do.

#36 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

Look at Hansen now. The reason this looks like a panic move is the Sox just swept the Yankees at home for the first time since 1990, Fruitbat was brought in in the Eighth to hold a lead and ended up blowing it, even though Torre said Mo would be strictly a one inning reliever, and Torre pulled Andy PettiTTe out of the pen to pitch in relief. It looks like Torre does not have faith in his relievers and the Yankees front office does not have faith in the starters and they can't figure out what to do.

I don't know if I said I thought it wasn't a panic move. A little bit perhaps. Doesn't just the fact I am excited about it. He is potentially the biggest upgrade they could get either via the trade market or minors, and it is happening sooner then expected.

#37 25 cabs

• 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hansen spent a ton of time in a prime time baseball college and was 22 when he came up. Phil Hughes has pitched at double A and is 20. I'd say its a fairly reasonable comp, Wing.

Agreed, Evilempire. I'd say that's that best you can hope for but I see alot of downside.

#38 TarHeel42

• 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

And I don't think there are many people here that would argue with the fact that was a panic move, and it clearly went poorly for the Sox.

#39 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 11,176 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hansen spent a ton of time in a prime time baseball college and was 22 when he came up. Phil Hughes has pitched at double A and is 20. I'd say its a fairly reasonable comp, Wing.

It's not unreasonable I guess. But St. John's isn't exactly Rice University. I'm not a college baseball expert but wasn't that part of the knock against him and part of the reason he may have been overrated from the get go? Not to mention the NY papers were pumping him up.

#40 EvilEmpire

• 4,914 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

I don't think Andy PettiTTe pitching an inning on the day he was scheduled to throw anyway is that big a deal. If anything, its an acknowledgement that Torre understands he has had to use the bullpen way to much so far. I don't see it as a lack of faith in his relievers.

#41 smackdown924

• 283 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

This is exactly why I drafted him in the last round of my fantasy draft. All the "experts" claimed that there was little chance of Hughes being called up before the ASB, and they would take their time. Sure enough, their pitchers started dropping like flies, they started losing games, and now they're calling for the kid.

I predict a season quite similar to Papelbon's first.

#42 Titans Bastard

• has sunil gulati in his sights

• 3,167 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

Due to their increasing injury issues with the starters, the Yankees have basically been forced to call on Hughes. They tried to avoid it by going to the hopelessly unready Chase Wright, but that just wasn't going to work. So sure, maybe you can interpret this as a panic move, but Hughes is far more prepared to handle a major league rotation spot than a number of the jokers they've thrown out there (Wright, Rasner, Karstens, all of whom have 5th starter upside). It's obviously not developmental track that you'd want to put a premium prospect like Hughes on because he could fiddle with a few things in AAA, but I wouldn't be so quick to laugh at this. I, for one, am most certainly not looking forward to the Philip Hughes era. He was probably going to force himself into the major league picture by midseason anyway; that it happened a couple months early is not ideal for the Yankees, but I would not at all be surprised if he was immediately average or a notch above.

#43 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,592 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

I'm really not sure how this can be interpreted as anything but a panic move? It's pretty much the epitome of one. Whether it winds up being a disaster or works out remains to be seen but it is CERTAINLY a panic move on their part.

Nice of the Reactionary Twins to drop by our lovely little message board.

If Hughes were being called up to replace a struggling starter, THAT would be a panic move. There would then be an inherent pressure on Yankee management -- and Hughes -- for him to outperform the pitcher he'd be replacing.

But they're not doing that. They're looking to bridge the gap while four starting pitchers are on the shelf. If it works out, bonus. If not, the risk is very low. For a prospect, pitching at the MLB level in April isn't all that much different than Spring Training -- other than the crowds, TV cameras, and the depth of opposing lineups.

Look, I like a bit of shadenfreude as much as anyone else, but try looking at this from a point of view outside the giggling Sox fan bubble.

#44 25 cabs

• 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

So you're saying that Hughes isn't being called up to replace a struggling starter? Then why isn't Karstens taking his spot in the rotation? What about Chase Wright? Where's all the "Yankee starting pitching depth" we heard so much about? It's precisely a panic move to the utmost degree, whether you choose to agree or not is on you.

"For a prospect, pitching at the MLB level in April isn't all that much different than Spring Training -- other than the crowds, TV cameras, and the depth of opposing lineups." Oh that's all? Again, Craig say hi; as do the scores of other pitchers rushed up to early and shellshocked back to the minors.

Oh and thanks for the welcome to "Your" lovely little message board. I've been lurking here every day for over four years now....... Perhaps you can save the snarky remarks, they're sooooo NYYFan.com. Thanks.

#45 Hello

• 558 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

So you're saying that Hughes isn't being called up to replace a struggling starter? Then why isn't Karstens taking his spot in the rotation? What about Chase Wright? Where's all the "Yankee starting pitching depth" we heard so much about? It's precisely a panic move to the utmost degree, whether you choose to agree or not is on you.

Umm...he isn't replacing Karstens. Karstens is pitching Friday.

The Yankees still have a lot of depth....they have several guys in AAA...it just so happens that they needed to get through a bit of AAA before they could be called up and the Yankee starters decided not to wait that long before 3/5 of them went on the DL.

It may be a slight panic move, but honestly, it isn't that big of a deal. Wang is coming back tomorrow and Mussina is close to returning.

Cashman said he is only in the rotation for as long as Mussina is out. Obviously you are taking this statement with a grain of salt because of already said statements, but it is a necessary statement for Cashman to make. He has already set the stage for Hughes to return to AAA. People are ready for it. People understand that it is only April, and if he isn't that good he will have more time in AAA to work. If he is great, then the Yankees can talk about keeping him up...but right now, Cashman is preparing the fans and Hughes himself for a "disappointing" first start by saying he won't be staying up.

#46 Lucen

• ERA=(ER/IP)*9

• 3,348 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

I don't think this is really going to be a problem for Hughes in terms of his makeup as a pitcher... but I worry about the strain on him physically. He's at the most dangerous age for a young pitcher health-wise, and pitching in major league games is going to be a rush for him. Despite being a Sox fan, I hope he doesn't hurt himself. If there's a risk in this call up, injury is it.

#47 Hee-Seop's Fable

• 1,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

I don't think this is a panic move as much as necessity. But man could this backfire. The kid's made three starts above double-A and now he's going to face major leaguers? That's not easy for anyone to do, "phenom" or no.

This is almost exactly what happened with the Sox and Lester last year, only a lot earlier. Lester had to wait until June.

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Whether you call it necessity or a panic move, the MFY need fresh arms, preferably of some quality to bridge the gap until and if the starters get healthy. They have got to spread the stress of all these innings as widely as possible in hopes they can keep their staff in one piece for the long haul. Not making use of their AAA depth would simply charcoal broil their bullpen even more than it already has been, and would be irresponsible.

The next question is the key one, to echo Lucen before me: Torre, Guidry and Cashman need to show restraint with Hughes should Mussina and Wang, and for that matter PettiTTe, Igawa, and Pavano not prove to be able to carry their weight May->September. That is where the we'll find out whether their season draws out desperation that could damage such a young phenom in a really meaningfull way. Felix Hernandez being case study 1A.

Will the MFY be willing to give away this season to keep Hughes innings under the 150 innings a 20 year old should be restricted to? I have to admit I have mixed feelings waiting for the answer. He's a talented kid that should get the chance to mature and fill into his promise, but the Sox fan in me wouldn't mind seeing him suffer for Steinbrenner's inability to tolerate the shame of a lost season for the sake of the long term big picture. Sad Hughes may the creature to suffer the travails of the inhumane animal testing that "the boss" has been doing for the last 30 years, but if he is, Steinbrenner deserves what he gets. Burn in hell, George.

#48 hunter05

• SoSH Member

• 5,152 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

I predict a season quite similar to Papelbon's first.

They could use a starter that will go deeper than 5 innings, I'm not sure he will, Papelbon didn't. That bullpen is an absolute mess right now.

#49 Morgan's Magic Snowplow

• SoSH Member

• 9,602 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:15 AM

They could use a starter that will go deeper than 5 innings, I'm not sure he will, Papelbon didn't. That bullpen is an absolute mess right now.

That's one of the interesting things about this choice. Hughes has been on a pretty standard 5-6 inning limit as a minor leaguer. It seems unlikely that they would allow him to go longer than that, so he is unlikely to ease the bullpen burden. But I guess the other options realistically werent that likely to go longer than 5-6 anyway.

#50 keeper1125

• 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

What a stunning development that RSN criticizes this move! They're usually so eager to dish out praise.

This would be a panic move if the Yankees' rotation were healthy. As it stands, 5 of their 6 top starters have suffered from injures at some point this season. This is obviously borne from necessity and not from worry.