Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Nixon signs with Indians

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#1 derF

• 136 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

http://www.post-gaze...9/755085-63.stm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Peter Gammons (on ESPN Radio this AM) Trot signed a 2 year deal with the Indians yesterday (1/18/2007).

Sorry, I can't spell...

Edited by derF, 19 January 2007 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27927 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

They just mentioned on Mike and Mike that Nixon got 1 year, $3M. At that price- I would have liked the Sox to bring him back, seems like a better option than Hinske, but I guess they wanted to cut the cord there. I imagine there must be incentives and perhaps an vesting option which is why PG may have reported two year deal.

#3 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3667 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

According to Peter Gammons (on ESPN Radio this AM) Trot signed a 2 year deal with the Indians yesterday (1/18/2007).

Sorry, I can't spell...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ESPN New York reports it as a one year, $3 mil deal. Perhaps an option?

#4 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33652 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

new thread

#5 thisyearisthe

• 1387 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

Shizzat, I turned off Mike & Mike because they didn't say anything about Gammons spot so I figured he was skipping this week due to the NFL playoffs.

Crap, I always enjoy listening to Gammons and his cryptic 'insider' comments.

#6 Greg Blosser

• 2174 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

'EEI reporting it now. 1 year, $3 million.

#7 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25361 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

At that price, I would think it's been made clear to Nixon that he will not be playing full time in Cleveland, and will split time with both Michaels and Blake (both of whom bat RH) in the lineup.

With Drew all but signed here and with Pena on board as well, there was no more room for Nixon in Boston, and I highly doubt he would have been happy with a reserve role here where he had been a starter for so many years.

#8 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27927 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

Even though this is probably for the best, I can't help but feel bummed about it. Looking forward to the standing O he gets when he comes back.

#9 Doza

• 1135 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

"Kicking his dog" comments aside...
I appreciated Nixon's contributions to this team before he became chronically injured (mainly due to his own poor upkeep). But I am glad he is moving on.

Edited by Doza, 19 January 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#10 FiveRunHomer

• 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

Does this put added pressure on the Sox to get the JD Drew deal done? I got the feeling that Nixon (paired with wily Mo) was always the backup plan if the Drew deal fell through. I really hope the Nixon signing helps speed up the Drew deal.

#11 djhb20

• 1518 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

Even though this is probably for the best, I can't help but feel bummed about it. Looking forward to the standing O he gets when he comes back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly right. I was definitely hoping that, someway, somehow, Trot would've ended up in a Sox uniform again, in a back-up role. But that just wasn't realistic.

He's a good fit in Cleveland, who could use a LHH outfielder. Here's hoping Trot has a bit of a renaissance and can get himself a bigger FA contract next off-season, but in the NL.

#12 thisyearisthe

• 1387 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

This still bothers me. I would think Nixon for one more year at $3 million would have made more sense than $14 million a year for Drew for 5 years. Quite a commitment for a player that could easily become Trot Nixon next season, especially given his injury history.

Plus, Nixon would be a nice insurance policy for right field if Coco or Drew were to be injured. WMP in right gives me nightmares.

Oh well, that ship has sailed. I'm not looking forward to seeing Nixon hit against the Sox. He'll probably become Fiskian in big spots.

#13 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14164 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Cliff Floyd and Preston Wilson would seem the fallback right now, or (perhaps more likely) WMP and Murphy as the 4th OF.

Floyd isn't much defensively at this point but as a lefty bat, he's ok. Wilson is a righty and thus not a great fit with WMP...in fact, he's basically a lower-potential, older version of WMP (high Ks, some pop, few walks) with a little better defense.

The other guy who will make us all cringe who kind of, sort of fits as a fourth OF type in a no-Drew scenario? Darin Erstad. Lefty, good glove, perhaps better suited for occasional PT rather than full-time, and guaranteed to get 2 Gammo 'intangibles' mentions a month.

Commence bashing the very mention of his name....now!

Edited by PedroKsBambino, 19 January 2007 - 10:10 AM.

#14 Doza

• 1135 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Does this put added pressure on the Sox to get the JD Drew deal done?  I got the feeling that Nixon (paired with wily Mo) was always the backup plan if the Drew deal fell through.  I really hope the Nixon signing helps speed up the Drew deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope.

I doubt Nixon was in the Sox plans for 2007.

#15 Ted Cox 4 president

• 750 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Many thanks, Trot.

Favorite Nixon moments:

- 5/28/00 - 9th inning HR off Rajah, giving Pedro the W
- Game 6 of 2003 ALCS - 9th inning 2-run HR
- Game 4 of 2004 WS - two hard-hit doubles, final runs of the season

There were many others, but these stand out for me. Best of luck.

#16 epraz

• SoSH Member

• 5291 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

"Kicking his dog" comments aside...
I appreciated Nixon's contributions to this team before he became chronically injured (mainly due to his own poor upkeep).  But I am glad he is moving on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So much for kicking his dog comments being aside.

#17 NJ Fan

• 2840 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

While it's been all but certain that the Sox were not interested in re-signing Nixon, unless I'm missing someone, we're down to just 8 of the 25 left:

Ortiz
Manny
Schilling
Tek
Wake
Timlin
Mirabelli
Youks

Edit: As Trautwein and BDJ pointed out, Belli absolutely belongs on the list.

Doh. 2nd edit: As lurker CoolPapaBellhorn points out, Youks was indeed on the WS roster.

Edited by NJ Fan, 19 January 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#18 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9850 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

While it's been all but certain that the Sox were not interested in re-signing Nixon, unless I'm missing someone, I think we're down to just 6 of the 25 left:

Ortiz
Manny
Schilling
Tek
Wake
Timlin

(7 if you count Youks since he was on the roster for much of that season, but I don't believe he was on the postseason roster.)

Wow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Belli.

#19 baghdadjamie

• resident manwhore

• 3696 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

While it's been all but certain that the Sox were not interested in re-signing Nixon, unless I'm missing someone, I think we're down to just 6 of the 25 left:

Ortiz
Manny
Schilling
Tek
Wake
Timlin

(7 if you count Youks since he was on the roster for much of that season, but I don't believe he was on the postseason roster.)

Wow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dougie baby, you can't forget Dougie

#20 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13324 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

Does leaving and coming back count? I don't think it should, because then the number could go up... especially if it's a last man standing thing.

#21 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12647 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

The idea of keeping Nixon over Hinskie is nuts. Hinskie can play first, third or in a pinch, in the outfield. Trot can barely play one anymore.

But we should focus on the larger picture here: Lou Gorman's reign of terror is finally over.

#22 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7738 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

So by my count, the Indians need to find ABs in their OF for Sizemore (not an issue), Michaels, Dellucci, Choo, Gutierrez, Blake and Nixon. How is that going to work? Are they possibly looking to trade one of these guys- maybe Michaels?

#23 mjm3773

• 258 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

While it's been all but certain that the Sox were not interested in re-signing Nixon, unless I'm missing someone, I think we're down to just 7 of the 25 left:

Ortiz
Manny
Schilling
Tek
Wake
Timlin
Mirabelli

(8 if you count Youks since he was on the roster for much of that season, but I don't believe he was on the postseason roster.)

Wow.

Edit: As Trautwein and BDJ pointed out, Belli absolutely belongs on the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Youks was on the postseason roster for the ALDS and the WS, but was replaced for the ALCS by the Embedded Yankee (Mendoza).

But back on topic, I'm not sure how exactly he'll fit in with the Indians. Jason Michaels and David Dellucci are definitely platooning in LF. He could platoon in RF with Casey Blake, but the Tribe already have Shin-Soo Choo to do that. So I would guess the only other possible option is that they want to go with three platoons (having Trot platoon with Ryan Garko at 1b - or flip-flop Trot and Choo), which would lock up all of their non-catcher, non-MI bench spots.

Edited by mjm3773, 19 January 2007 - 11:15 AM.

#24 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25361 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

Youks was on the postseason roster for the ALDS and the WS, but was replaced for the ALCS by the Embedded Yankee (Mendoza).

But back on topic, I'm not sure how exactly he'll fit in with the Indians.  Jason Michaels and David Dellucci are definitely platooning in LF.  He could platoon in RF with Casey Blake, but the Tribe already have Shin-Soo Choo to do that.  So I would guess the only other possible option is that they want to go with three platoons (having Trot platoon with Ryan Garko at 1b - or flip-flop Trot and Choo), which would lock up all of their non-catcher, non-MI bench spots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't Choo bat lefty, just like Nixon? I also would think that Nixon will get some time in at DH once in a while as well.

The money he got certainly indicates that he won't be playing every day in Cleveland.

#25 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13528 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

I loved his walkoff in the ALDS 03.
And his grand slam in Philly that year as well

edit right it was in Philly I said Atlanta, I knew it was interleague.

Did Nomar hit a slam in Atlanta in 04 soon after he came back?

Edited by reggiecleveland, 19 January 2007 - 11:42 AM.

#26 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7368 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

His 9th inning '03 Labor Day grand slam in Philly should also be mentioned.

#27 Boston CyberSox

• 928 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

More info from the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

The Indians have signed former Boston outfielder Trot Nixon to a one-year, $3 million contract. Nixon, bothered by a right biceps injury in the second half of last season, passed his physical in Cleveland on Thursday.

Nixon, a left-handed hitter, will platoon in right field with Casey Blake. Nixon's signing probably means Shin-Soo Choo will start the season at Class AAA Buffalo. Choo and Blake were scheduled to platoon in right...

...The Indians were concerned about the roster's inexperience. Nixon's arrival gives them more outfield depth with Choo, Franklin Gutierrez and Ben Francisco in reserve.

Nixon made $7.5 million last year. He can boost his base salary of $3 million to $5 million this season if he earns all his performance bonuses.

$5 million seems to be more in line with the salary I would have expected Trot to receive this off-season. $3 mil base is quite a drop from the $7.5 he was making last season.

Also interesting that he already completed his physical, the Indians really kept this one off the radar.

#28 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14164 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

So they are platooning both OF corners, right? It's a Dellucci/Michaels platoon in LF I believe.

Tough on roster construction and late-game swaps but interesting. Dollar-per-production wise it looks pretty sweet right now. Situationally, though, not so much.

#29 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9250 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

At 1 year, $3 million, Nixon is definitely a bargain-- his injury issues are reduced because of his cheap contract and Cleveland's depth, and he will be a good player if/when healthy. As a LHH at Fenway who hardly ever used the wall, I wouldn't be surprised to see his power bounce back a bit playing his home games elsewhere.

Even if he is exactly the same player he was last year, he will help Cleveland a lot at that price. Great move for them. They will also have the option of flipping one of their many OFs for something else at some point as well.

#30 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25361 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:41 AM

At 1 year, $3 million, Nixon is definitely a bargain-- his injury issues are reduced because of his cheap contract and Cleveland's depth, and he will be a good player if/when healthy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't bet on his injury issues being reduced. This is a guy who's missed a ton of time over the past 2 years merely by swinging a bat too hard (strained ribcage in 2005, strained bicep in 2006). These aren't injuries due to wear and tear. He's just injury-prone.

He's a platoon player now, which is a good role for him on the Indians as they could use a guy like that to help out in the OF. If he thinks he's going to play every day or even sniff 400 at-bats he's badly mistaken.

#31 mjm3773

• 258 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

Doesn't Choo bat lefty, just like Nixon? I also would think that Nixon will get some time in at DH once in a while as well.

The money he got certainly indicates that he won't be playing every day in Cleveland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, what I meant by flipping Trot and Choo is that they could switch back and forth being the left-handed portion of the platoons in RF and 1b.

And while he might get some time at DH, I don't think it would be much. The few days that Hafner gets off, they might prefer to have Martinez DH (keep his bat in the line-up, not have his below-average defense behind the plate) and give Shoppach the start at catcher.

#32 The Boomer

• 2026 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Cliff Floyd and Preston Wilson would seem the fallback right now, or (perhaps more likely) WMP and Murphy as the 4th OF.

Floyd isn't much defensively at this point but as a lefty bat, he's ok.  Wilson is a righty and thus not a great fit with WMP...in fact, he's basically a lower-potential, older version of WMP (high Ks, some pop, few walks) with a little better defense.

The other guy who will make us all cringe who kind of, sort of fits as a fourth OF type in a no-Drew scenario?  Darin Erstad.  Lefty, good glove, perhaps better suited for occasional PT rather than full-time, and guaranteed to get 2 Gammo 'intangibles' mentions a month.

Commence bashing the very mention of his name....now!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the Sox were to add both Drew and Erstad wouldn't that give them to #1 first round draft picks on their roster? Just a point of curiosity- not a recommendation.

#33 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5897 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

I wouldn't bet on his injury issues being reduced. This is a guy who's missed a ton of time over the past 2 years merely by swinging a bat too hard (strained ribcage in 2005, strained bicep in 2006). These aren't injuries due to wear and tear. He's just injury-prone.

He's a platoon player now, which is a good role for him on the Indians as they could use a guy like that to help out in the OF. If he thinks he's going to play every day or even sniff 400 at-bats he's badly mistaken.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eric Wedge loves Nixon-style players. He may see more time than you think (see Aaron Boone).

#34 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7368 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

If the Sox were to add both Drew and Erstad wouldn't that give them to #1 first round draft picks on their roster?  Just a point of curiosity- not a recommendation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drew was a 1st round pick, but if you mean 1st overall then no. He was a 2nd overall pick by the Phillies and then a 5th overall pick the next year by the Cardinals.

Erstad was a 1st overall pick by the Angels.

Edit: It was the 8th inning, Rough.

Edited by sfip, 19 January 2007 - 12:32 PM.

#35 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16520 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

Many thanks, Trot.

Favorite Nixon moments:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The single off Tom Gordon in the 9th inning of game 5 of the 2004 ALCS was beautiful. He smoked that liner and Dave Roberts was stealing at the same time (he had it easy). The slightest bobble by peanuthead and Roberts was going to score from first on a single. As it was, he came in on Tek's sac fly off Fruit Bat.

#36 Tudor Fever

• 3405 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:37 PM

If the Sox were to add both Drew and Erstad wouldn't that give them to #1 first round draft picks on their roster?  Just a point of curiosity- not a recommendation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on what Theo said at the Hot Stove Cool Music hot stove session that I attended a couple of Saturdays ago, the plan is for Wily Mo to back up all three outfield positions and to get about 350-400 plates appearances. No need for Erstad in this scenario.

The single off Tom Gordon in the 9th inning of game 5 of the 2004 ALCS was beautiful. He smoked that liner and Dave Roberts was stealing at the same time (he had it easy). The slightest bobble by peanuthead and Roberts was going to score from first on a single. As it was, he came in on Tek's sac fly off Fruit Bat.

Eighth inning, actually. He also made a key catch in the 6th off Matsui when it was 4-2 MFY with the bases loaded and 2 out.

Edited by Tudor Fever, 19 January 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#37 shoebox91

• 465 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

The single off Tom Gordon in the 9th inning of game 5 of the 2004 ALCS was beautiful.  He smoked that liner and Dave Roberts was stealing at the same time (he had it easy).  The slightest bobble by peanuthead and Roberts was going to score from first on a single.  As it was, he came in on Tek's sac fly off Fruit Bat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rough you beat me to it. That is the hit I think of also when I think of Trot. He will be missed but I know he needed to go. Little by little the 25 are leaving. I guess it's time for us to have a "new 25." Hmmmmm....how about a championship in '07?......

#38 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14164 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Based on what Theo said at the Hot Stove Cool Music hot stove session that I attended a couple of Saturdays ago, the plan is for Wily Mo to back up all three outfield positions and to get about 350-400 plates appearances. No need for Erstad in this scenario.

The scenario posed was a no-Drew scenario, so WMP would be starting. The Sox would likely need a fourth OF in that scenario with some experience, preferably a LHB other things somewhat equal.

#39 Ted Cox 4 president

• 750 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

I mentioned the 2003 ALCS Game 6 HR because I had the good fortune to be there for it--as well as for his HR the following night . . . but let's not go there right now. But certainly the single in the 2004 ALCS Game 5 deserves a more prominent spot in RS lore. We've had reason to get frustrated with Trot, but there were definitely times when he came through with flying colors.

#40 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2701 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

Two other Trot Nixon memories:

When he threw a bat in the direction of the mound in Tampa after they hit one of our guys, which they had been doing alot of. His post game comment was something along the lines of, "If the ball slipped out of his hand the bat slipped out of mine."

His home run off Clemens after Clemens hit Millar in the head with a pitch.

#41 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15803 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

Two other Trot Nixon memories:

When he threw a bat in the direction of the mound in Tampa after they hit one of our guys, which they had been doing alot of.  His post game comment was something along the lines of, "If the ball slipped out of his hand the bat slipped out of mine."

His home run off Clemens after Clemens hit Millar in the head with a pitch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also:
His HR off of Clemens in the infamous Pedro-Roger Sunday Night game at the Toilet in 2000.

Edit: for year

Edited by RedOctober3829, 19 January 2007 - 01:38 PM.

#42 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9544 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

When people mention Trot's 2-run double in Game 4 of the 2004 WS, they usually fail to mention that it was on a 3-0 pitch. Bill Mueller had just walked to load the bases, and Jason Marquis fell behind Trot 3-0. The guy couldn't find the plate, it was an easy choice to take the next pitch. After ball three, my dad said "Let him swing away!". I disagreed, because Marquis couldn't find the plate. Make him throw a strike, right? Trot agrees with my dad, and absolutely smokes the next pitch, a fastball down the middle, missing a grand slam by inches.

That's one of my favorite at-bats of the 2004 play-offs. Trot was my first real favorite player because of the whole "(Dirty Shorts)" thing, and I'm sad to see him go. Thanks for the memories, Trot.

#43 ngruz25

• Bibby

• 9544 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

Also:
His HR off of Clemens in the infamous Pedro-Roger Sunday Night game at the Toilet in 2000.

Edit: for year

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To go along with this, Trot had a career 1.276 OPS against Clemens. I always looked forward to that match-up.

#44 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10577 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

Good luck to Trot...but this is one less thing we have to worry about. Trot has a better fit with Cleveland than here. Hinske's biggest value is that he can play multiple positions, including third.

#45 BoSox Rule

• 1419 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

I was there for his walk-off HR, Game 3 2003 ALDS. The HR resulted in the famous billboard.
http://img.viacomloc...ge_037134312/lg

Edited by BoSox Rule, 19 January 2007 - 03:02 PM.

#46 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2775 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

Many thanks, Trot.

Favorite Nixon moments:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let us not forget his perfectly executed hit and run (with Roberts on the other end) off Tom Gordon during Game 5.

I expect a rousing ovation when he bats at Fenway.

#47 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2932 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

I came to terms with the likelihood that Trot wouldn't be re-signed by the Red Sox but now that he's officially gone, I'm personally sad. Trot's been a favorite in this household since we met during spring training in 1994. He and his wife Kathryn were pillars of the Red Sox community, and two of the finest people I've ever known. His exploits on the field were well-documented in this thread but I'll always remember the walk-off in the '03 ALDS. It was the day that "Mr. Hate" saved my life. I sold my ticket for that game so I could sit with a group of SoSHers. I stepped on my seat so I could see the impending celebration at the plate, whereupon I was accidentally pushed by the guy behind me. Next thing I knew, I was flying in the air, about to be laid out across the row in front of us. It was Mr. Hate who pulled me back, saving me from serious injury. I missed the celebration at the plate and have a scar from a gash on my knee where I struck the chair back in front of me. It was well worth it. :rolleyes:

Christopher, thanks for the memories.

#48 thrawnqq

• 778 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

My favorite Trot Nixon moment was the Labor Day 2004, a makeup game against the Phillies. Jose Mesa came into a game where the Sox were behind quite a bit, he gave up a bunch of runs, and ultimately, Trot hit a walk off HR. My dad and I travelled up from MD, and were sitting in the 5th row in line with the 1st base line. So off crack of the bat we could follow it the whole way, swinging our arms like Pudge Fisk willing it to land in fair territory.

A beautiful moment.

Thanks Trot.

Todd

#49 shoebox91

• 465 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

When people mention Trot's 2-run double in Game 4 of the 2004 WS, they usually fail to mention that it was on a 3-0 pitch. Bill Mueller had just walked to load the bases, and Jason Marquis fell behind Trot 3-0. The guy couldn't find the plate, it was an easy choice to take the next pitch. After ball three, my dad said "Let him swing away!". I disagreed, because Marquis couldn't find the plate. Make him throw a strike, right? Trot agrees with my dad, and absolutely smokes the next pitch, a fastball down the middle, missing a grand slam by inches.

That's one of my favorite at-bats of the 2004 play-offs. Trot was my first real favorite player because of the whole "(Dirty Shorts)" thing, and I'm sad to see him go. Thanks for the memories, Trot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was sitting there in St. Louis that night and I remember thinking "don't swing Trot." Then he swung and, from where I was sitting in Big Mac Land, I thought it was gone when it left the bat. I jumped up and, even though it didn't leave the yard, that was when it began to sink in that I might get to watch the Sox celebrate winning a WS in person.

#50 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

"I wasn’t threatening him. I was just giving him information."