Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Angel Beltre

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

Angel Beltre

Posted Image

Born: 1990
Dominican Republic
Height: 6-1
Weight: 170
Bats: Left
Throws: ?
Drafted: Not drafted
How Acquired: International free agent (July 2006)

Scouting Report: Five-tool left-handed hitter with excellent power potential. Strong arm and good range in centerfield. Highly touted signing out of the Dominican Republic, signed for $575,000. Hustles at every step . Very projectable as a power hitter once he grows into his body. ;)

Sox Prospects Page

Notes:

-Sox Director Of International Scouting, Craig Shipley commented: "Engel [Angel] is a kid who plays with a ton of energy, which we like and think is necessary to play center. He has an above-average arm now and projectable power."

-A major league scouting director is quoted in Baseball America: "Beltre to me is a young (Barry) Bonds--all five tools. He can do it all. He's going to be terrifying when he fills into that body."

-Ranked second on ESPN's ranking of the newly available Latin American prospects in 2006.

- He will begin playing in 2007, likely in extended spring training

-Lived in the USA in 2003, attending DeWitt Clinton HS in the Bronx before returning to his native Dominican Republic. He supposedly manages with his english.

Translated From This July 2nd AP Article
Spanish Angle Beltre Article

Young Angel Beltre made the jump to professional baseball with the hopes of being the next David Ortiz, or following in the footsteps of Ken Griffey Jr.

And it is with the Boston Red Sox that he signed for $600,000, Sunday. The largest contract ever given out by Boston in the Dominican.

According to one executive of the Red Sox, Beltre is a five-tool player...

"This is a kid who has all the qualities you want in a prospect, and it is the most important signing we have made in this country." (whither Luis Soto?) said the coordinator of international scouting, John Dipuglia.

Beltre is 16 and a half years old, and is one of four brothers, each one a faithful fanatic of the Red Sox.

"David Ortiz is my favorite player and I am thankful to the Red Sox for the opportunity they have given me," said Beltre minutes after putting his signature on the lucrative contract.

Beltre is a centerfielder with an above average arm, plays good defense, and combines hitting for a high average, with power potential.

Beltre has played baseball for 7 years and one of his instructors describes him as a complete player.

"This boy has all the chance to develop into a future star. He is a hard worker and he will be able to flourish if he stays that way," said Santiago Jimenez, a manager on one of the teams in one of the smaller Dominican leagues.

Beltre will be assigned to the minor leagues. But he will begin this year in the Red Sox Dominican complex, and next year he will play in the Dominican Summer League.

Edit: Fixed URL

Edited by hawaiirsn, 23 December 2006 - 05:43 PM.

#2 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,254 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

A major league scouting director is quoted in Baseball America: "Beltre to me is a young (Barry) Bonds--all five tools. He can do it all. He's going to be terrifying when he fills into that body."

Wow. That is a very gutsy comparison.

#3 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

Engel Beltre, the PSAL hardly knew ya

BTW, that's a nice little scheme they got going. Return to your home country a year or two before your 16th birthday and then sign with a major league team to avoid the draft and get a payout 2 years earlier.

#4 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Engel Beltre, the PSAL hardly knew ya

BTW, that's a nice little scheme they got going.  Return to your home country a year or two before your 16th birthday and then sign with a major league team to avoid the draft and get a payout 2 years earlier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, but I don't see how they could make a rule against this. Seems like a loophole here to stay. Worked out for the Sox I guess.

I find the lack of stats odd. Seems like he probably had a hit and the stats page isn't working. Dewitt Clinton played 16 games that year, so he was in all but 1.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by hawaiirsn, 08 December 2006 - 05:24 PM.

#5 ese718xc

• 345 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

A major league scouting director is quoted in Baseball America: "Beltre to me is a young (Barry) Bonds--all five tools. He can do it all. He's going to be terrifying when he fills into that body."

Ranked second on ESPN's ranking of the newly available Latin American prospects in 2006.

I suppose the #1 prospect compared to Willie Mays and Babe Ruth.

#6 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:48 AM

I suppose the #1 prospect compared to Willie Mays and Babe Ruth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, its nice to see that people make this no risk statements about potential. When Engel Beltre is going into the hall with 712 career homers, this guys gonna come out of retirement and say "I called it, compare his number with Barry, im a genius." Seriously though, sounds like we signed a guy with a sky high ceiling. Maybe by next year he will be under the wise mentorship of Gabe Kapler. It definetly will be interesting to monitor his progress.

#7 asimonetti

• 593 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

how long do the sox control beltre's rights?

edit sp

Edited by asimonetti, 14 December 2006 - 09:38 AM.

#8 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,588 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

how long do the sox control beltre's rights?

edit sp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think once they bring him to the states they have 5 years to put him on the 40 man roster or have him subject to the Rule V draft.

#9 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

I think once they bring him to the states they have 5 years to put him on the 40 man roster or have him subject to the Rule V draft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats Right

#10 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:55 AM

According to Sox Prospects Wiki, Angel participated in the Fall Instructional League. Some of last years participants include Buchholz, Bowden, Craig Hansen, Luis Soto and Jacob Ellsbury, and as it says, its a league with players teams are willing to invest time and money into, so it seems they value Angel. There are no stats avaliable for the FIL, as the games and workouts are generally private. Anyone with more info would be greatly appretiated. Sox Prospects Wiki Article

#11 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

Check this out

#12 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Check this out

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, great stuff, everyone should take the time to read thru that.

#13 BigPopi

• 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

http://www.rotoworld...amp;majteam=BOS
Per Rotoworld:
"Engel Beltre homered twice Saturday and once more Sunday for the Rookie GCL Red Sox.
The 17-year-old Beltre was one of the most sought-after players during the 2006 international signing period. He's struck out 36 times in the GCL already, but he's flashed very impressive power for someone so young while hitting .248/.342/.455."

Edited by BigPopi, 23 July 2007 - 02:53 PM.

#14 BigPopi

• 15 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Engel traded to Texas as part of the Gagne trade.
He could be the best part of the trade for Texas or the worst part,only time will tell.
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2955966

#15 asphyxiation

• 981 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, close this one down.

#16 hawaiirsn

• 413 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, this thread needs to be locked.

#17 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,389 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:20 AM

Yeah, this thread needs to be locked.

No, it didn't. No one posted in it for 2 months. It was effectively dead. Thanks for bumping a dead thread. Especially with such an enlightening comment.

#18 Dipre

• 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

I live in DR, and i actually saw this kid at a tryout, and let me tell you, from RAW tools alone, comparing him to a young Barry Bonds is no longshot, he hits moonshots Willy Mo style, and runs like Jose Reyes, and don't get me started on that arm, a scout told me he was clocked at 94 throwing from the outfield!

I'm new here, but i thought it was a comment worth making, 'cause getting rid ot him, meh, maybe a mistake.....

Edited by Dipre, 21 May 2008 - 08:00 PM.

#19 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,172 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

He's currently hitting .260/.291/.387 in A ball with just 4 BB against 34 Ks.

#20 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,389 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Jesus Christmas... He isn't part of the organization. Why are we bumping dead threads?