Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Mark Wagner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

Mark Wagner

Posted Image

Born: June 11, 1984 in Lakewood, CA
Height: 6-1
Weight: 205
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Drafted: 9th round, 2005; 29th round, 2002 by Atlanta
College: UC-Irvine
High School: Mayfair HS (CA)

Red Sox Prospects Page
Scouting Report: Sturdy catcher's frame. Excellent at throwing runners out. Good gap power and contact at the plate. Leader, good game caller. No particularly dominant tools, but all are average or above average.

Listed as the 20th prospect on Sox Prospects.

RSN Interview

Mark Wagner was the Red Sox selection in the 9th round of the 2005 draft. A right-handed hitting catcher out of UC-Irvine, Wagner made his professional debut with the Lowell Spinners last year, hitting .203-0-6 in 24 games. A 21-year-old resident of Lakewood, California, Wagner is starting the 2006 season with the Greenville Drive.

On his first spring training: "It went well. It was a good first step to get ready for my first full season. In a way, I was kind of in awe, especially getting to dress for some big league games. It was a great learning experience talking to Tek (Jason Varitek). I asked him about a lot -- the whole nine yards. One thing I wanted to know was how he did it in the minor leagues -- how he worked to get where he is now. He didn't tell me I'd have to figure that out myself, but he did say finding out what works for you, and what doesn't, is important. He talked a lot about preparation. As a catcher, you're in constant communication with the pitchers and coaches, and you need to understand your game."

On the start of the season: "I missed the first two games with food poisoning. It was upsetting not playing in the opener, but I was pretty sick. It was great to finally be on the field yesterday (Saturday), but even though I played well defensively I didn't have quality at bats. I was fired up to get the season going, and was maybe a little jittery. I almost felt like a fish out water at the plate, which is funny when you've been doing it for almost 20 years. I was rushing too much, but it was only four at-bats and I hope to get 400 more this year."

On catching Ismael Casillas's four hitless innings on Saturday: "He threw great. We were on the same page, and he was throwing everything for strikes. It's not fair to the hitters when a pitcher is pounding the strike zone with all of his pitches, and that's what he was doing."

On his first impressions of the South Atlantic League: "To be honest, it doesn't seem that different from last year in Lowell. I know it's only been four games, but there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the jump in talent. I asked a few people about that, and they told me there isn't a big difference between the A levels. There's probably a little more consistency as you go up, but not in the talent itself."

On one of the things he learned in the offseason: "I started doing yoga to work on my flexibility. Lear (Rob Leary, the Red Sox minor league field coordinator and catching instructor) recommended it, and so did a few other guys. At first I wasn't too keen on it, because I've always kind of looked at it as a
girl's thing. But I decided to give it a try, and it was like, 'Wow.' A lot of the pitchers do it, and it's really been helpful. I'm in great shape right now, and that's one of the reasons."

Most Valuable Network - A look at Mark Wagner

Going back to the 2005 Draft class, as we look 9th Round Pick, Catcher Mark Wagner.

Mark was originally drafted in the 29th round of the 2002 Draft (by Atlanta), but [/B]decided to go to UC-Irvine instead. He had three progressively better years there, culminating in his Jr. Season where he went .355/.398/.495 with 11 doubles, 4 triples and 4 HRs. He did only walk 9 times and struck out 26 times. He was one of 10 catchers the Sox drafted last season.

After signing, Mark was placed with the Lowell Spinners, where he had a tough time offensively, going .203/.309/.261. However, there are some good things behind the numbers. Specifically, in 24 games he walked 9 times and struck out only 7 times. More importantly, I am of the opinion that the hardest position to come into professional baseball is as a catcher. First, he has to deal with the defensive portion of the program… working with a bunch of pitchers he has never seen before. And, then, he has to hit with a wood bat as opposed to the aluminum of college.

This year, he was bumped up to Greenville to start the year. And his start has been a revelation. Through 32 games, Mark has hit .336/.374/.525 with 9 doubles and 4 HRs. He has walked 8 times and struck out 19. He seems to be catching the bigger prospects at Greenville, and appears to have a good defensive reputation. Almost by default, he is the best catching prospect in the system at this moment.

I don’t expect him to be moved out of Greenville until late this year, if at all. The first 122 at bats have been great, but we still have no guarantee of this is a true jump (which is possible for the 21 year old), or a small sample fluke. But… I am extremely happy with this start.

Stats
Posted Image

#2 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1709 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

Wagner is second in the California League in batting at .380. He is 19-for-50 with one home run.

#3 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:07 PM

Mark Wagner Stats through 19 games this season
TeamLeagueAVGGABRH2B3BHRRBITBBBSOSBCSOBPSLGOPS
LNCCAL.2991977172350113319800.375.403.778

#4 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6591 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

Local Lancaster paper article on the two catchers there, Mark Wagner and Salvador Paniagua. Short Blurb:

Along with his solid season with the bat, Wagner is also touted as the best defensive catcher in the Red Sox minor-league system.

"Wagner has come a long way in how he receives pitches and now he really sticks pitches and presents the pitches to give the umpire a good look," Kipper said.

At 6-foot-1, 240 pounds, Paniagua has the powerful build to be a productive catcher.

"Paniagua has been outstanding. He's come a long way and the game is starting to slow down for him," Epperson said. "He's shown a good arm and plus pop. He's really putting it together and has been outstanding for us."

And the Puerto Rican catcher also has a way with the pitchers.

"Paniagua has been great, the pitchers love to throw with him," Kipper said. "The energy he brings and how he receives the ball. He's very strong and is very good with his hands."

#5 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

Mark Wagner is hitting .303/.382/.844 through 33 games this season with 23 runs, 3 HR, and 29 RBI...

He's only in Single A, but at some point he should be applying a bit of pressure to George Kottaras as the catcher of the future for the Red Sox. He is the best defensive catcher in the Red Sox system and if his bat continues to produce then I submit he passes Kottaras on the prospect list within a year.

(edit: spelling)

Edited by homesnatch, 29 May 2007 - 12:34 PM.

#6 Crazy Puppy

• 1775 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

Mark Wagner is hitting .303/.382/.844 through 33 games this season with 23 runs, 3 HR, and 29 RBI...

He's only in Single A, but at some point he should be applying a bit of pressure to George Kottaras as the catcher of the future for the Red Sox. He is the best defensive catcher in the Red Sox system and if his bat continues to produce then I submit he passes Kottaras on the prospect list within a year.

(edit: spelling)

Please keep in mind that Wagner plays in a hitter-friendly league and in one of the most favorable parks for hitters in all of the minor leagues.

2007 at home: .355/.440/.539 (.979 OPS)
2007 on the road: .232/.295/.357 (.652 OPS)

#7 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6591 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

More from the AVP:

The 22-year-old can block balls in the dirt with the best of them. Theft on the base paths has not been tolerated, especially in the JetHawks' final two games against Inland Empire, in which Wagner caught four 66ers trying to steal. Despite his team's bloated ERA, the catcher is adapting to his pitchers' rough starts and making better in-game adjustments.

"His work ethic is unreal," Epperson said.

Wagner said he takes pride in all facets of his game behind the plate, though his manager has been especially impressed by his ability to command a pitching staff that has to deal with the hitter's haven that is The Hangar.

#8 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

Soxprospects.com is ranking Mark Wagner (16th) higher than George Kottaras (19th).

Mark is hitting .309/.402/.485 so far this season with Lancaster. (Previous poster noted that Lancaster is a hitter-friendly field.. Mark's road split stats are .244/.355/.359 )

I'd like to see what Mark can do at a higher level. He is a couple years behind Kottaras in development, but if Kottaras continues to struggle in Pawtucket, this is the next guy in line.

#9 JimEdSF

• 305 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

Mark had two dingers and 5 RBI last night, so he gets a little love. Story and photo here.

YTD: .416 | .526 | .942 (good news is the away split isn't awful either: .387 | .418 | .805)

#10 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1709 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

Wagner, who is 7 for his last 11 for the JetHawks, is now hitting .310/.410/.524 with 11 home runs in 290 at-bats. He has struck out 42 times and drawn 49 walks.

#11 Imgran

• 1966 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

Any idea what the development squad is waiting for to promote him? A sign that the Lancaster-inflated stats have something real behind them? Improvement of defense? A judgement call that he needs a full year where he is?

Edited by Imgran, 26 July 2007 - 11:09 PM.

#12 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9967 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

Any idea what the development squad is waiting for to promote him? A sign that the Lancaster-inflated stats have something real behind them? Improvement of defense? A judgement call that he needs a full year where he is?

The Red Sox don't promote just to promote and stats are definitely not a reason one gets promoted. Wagner likely has set goals that he has to reach before he gets promoted and if he has not hit them yet well he likely won't get promoted until he does.

Edited by jsinger121, 27 July 2007 - 06:14 AM.

#13 Trotsky

• 773 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

away: .234/.349/.379
home: .351/.433/.1.025

That's a pretty huge difference in his home/away splits. I'm sure he'll finish the season in Lancaster... but I look forward to seeing if he ends up somewhere in between those numbers in Portland next year. A good defensive Catcher that can put up an .800ish OPS like what I think Wagner could do after he advances would be a tremendous kid to have as a backup C

#14 Pork Fried Jim Rice

• 593 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

A good defensive Catcher that can put up an .800ish OPS like what I think Wagner could do after he advances would be a tremendous kid to have as a backup C

A good defensive catcher who puts up an 800ish OPS would be a top 5 catcher in baseball, if he could do that, there's no way he'd be a backup.

#15 Trotsky

• 773 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

A good defensive catcher who puts up an 800ish OPS would be a top 5 catcher in baseball, if he could do that, there's no way he'd be a backup.

Geez thanks for that.... I was considering that as his numbers in Portland for next season. Seems obvious to me after I reread my post

#16 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

Mark Wagner has been named California League Player of the Week (Aug. 13-19, 2007)

He is also ranked as the 13th ranked prospect in the Red Sox system according to SoxProspects (Kottaras is now 30th). As long as Kottaras is stinking it up in AAA, Mark should be considered the #1 catching prospect in the Red Sox system.

I'd like to see Mark at the next level to see what he does without the Lancaster park effect,

#17 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

Wagners final stats for the season:

.318 Avg, 14HR, .406 OBS, .939 OPS.

Home/Away splits are 1.098 OPS at home, .756 away... definitely benefiting from the Lancaster park effect.

#18 dynomite

• 4423 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:53 AM

Buried in an article about Schilling re-signing from a few weeks ago, Theo mentions that he feels that the Sox have really strong minor league catching, and that Wagner is a big piece of that.

Here's the link to the article, and the relevant quote:

Epstein also addressed the backup catcher situation and kidded that he likely would assign the task of finding one to his assistants, Jed Hoyer and Ben Cherington. He didn't rule out Doug Mirabelli or Kevin Cash returning, nor did he say that the backup will be Wakefield's personal catcher."It's interesting, because I think the industry is looking for catching," Epstein said. "There's that perception out there that we desperately need to find Jason's successor. Personally, I think Jason has a lot of catching left.

"We have pretty good minor league catching. [George]Kottaras, he obviously really struggled in the first half. What he did in the second half, it's pretty promising. Dusty Brown has taken huge strides forward.

"Both of those guys have a chance to be at Triple A next year. Both guys have legitimate chances to play in the big leagues. A bit further down we have Mark Wagner, who had an excellent year in the California League."

The quote about the industry "looking for catching" is interesting, indeed. If Theo is implying that he has an excess of riches at a market valued position, it would stand to reason he would be actively exploring a trade. Or perhaps he's just musing about how lucky it is to be a GM with as good a farm system as we have.

Either way, Wagner is clearly on his radar, although AAA next year is a longshot.

Edit: Fixed link

Edited by dynomite, 18 November 2007 - 02:54 AM.

#19 Canary

• 317 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

Either way, Wagner is clearly on his radar, although AAA next year is a longshot.

I think AAA is no shot at all. The Pawtucket starting catcher will be Kot, the backup will be Brown. Both of them are on the radar as having major league potential, although Brown will never be more than a backup catcher, and there's no need to rush Wags when he will have his work cut out for him adjusting from the Lancaster Effect to the chill winds of Portland in April.

Of course by the trading deadline everything will change, but something tells me that Theo won't give up on Kottaras easily, and as long as Wake is here Brown is a necessity, as he's got a lot of experience handling the knuckleball and will be important if whoever we bring in to back up 'Tek struggles or gets hurt.

Edited by Canary, 21 November 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#20 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22670 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:30 AM

Mike Hazen on Mark Wagner

Mike Hazen: He’s dong a good job—learning a lot, I think, from where he came in at Lowell from a leadership standpoint, ability to control and run a pitching staff and handle the bat. We talk a lot about a catcher’s ability to catch and throw and he can definitely do that. But the separator is usually because of the offensive ability, and he has that too.

He does a good job of blocking and receiving and those are key things to running a pitching staff. The throwing—he has a pretty good stolen base caught percentage. But those other things are as important as you talk about the quality of a Jason Varitek. That’s what people talk about and [Wagner]has some of those things.

Link

#21 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Jim Callis said Mark Wagner is the best catching prospect in the Red Sox organization.

#22 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Mark Wagner is starting in Portland this year. This will be an important season for him as a catching prospect... He has great defensive tools, but needs to show that he can continue to hit both at a next level and outside of the Lancaster hitter-friendly park. Mark is still a ways off from being major-league ready, but as Kottaras stumbled, Wagner is considered to be the best prospect in the Red Sox system. (edit: removed redundant "considered")

Edited by homesnatch, 19 May 2008 - 12:20 PM.

#23 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17654 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

Mark Wagner is starting in Portland this year. This will be an important season for him as a catching prospect... He has great defensive tools, but needs to show that he can continue to hit both at a next level and outside of the Lancaster hitter-friendly park. Mark is still a ways off from being major-league ready, but as Kottaras stumbled, Wagner is considered to be considered the best prospect in the Red Sox system.

Considered to be considered? Maybe is considered to have the highest ceiling but Kottaras is still the most major league ready. After last season's second half, I would say Kottaras is still a better prospect until I see Wagner hit outside of Lancaster. Otherwise he, at best, is a back up.

#24 Trotsky

• 773 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Is this good enough outside of Lancaster yet?

Wagner last 10:

35AB 14H 3D 1HR 7RBI 5BB 4K .400/.475/.571/1.046

#25 Trotsky

• 773 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

update.

.320/.395/.453 4 2B's. 2HR's. 13RBI's. 9BB's. 11K's.

After a slow start at the plate, he's really turned it around the last 2.5 weeks. If he can sustain this level at the plate, he's got to be a Sox Top Ten by the end of the season, and into a few Top 100 lists, no?

#26 Quintanariffic

• 4391 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

update.

.320/.395/.453 4 2B's. 2HR's. 13RBI's. 9BB's. 11K's.

After a slow start at the plate, he's really turned it around the last 2.5 weeks. If he can sustain this level at the plate, he's got to be a Sox Top Ten by the end of the season, and into a few Top 100 lists, no?

IF (key word in the whole post) he can end the season with an .850ish OPS that is heavily weighted towards OBP and a low K rate in the pitcher-friendly EL at age 24, I think he'll get consideration at the back end of the Sox top 10 and maybe a MLB top 100 list here and there. Not sure what the consensus is on his defense - is he closer to Dusty Brown or Kottaras?

#27 amfox1

• 3308 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

IF (key word in the whole post) he can end the season with an .850ish OPS that is heavily weighted towards OBP and a low K rate in the pitcher-friendly EL at age 24, I think he'll get consideration at the back end of the Sox top 10 and maybe a MLB top 100 list here and there. Not sure what the consensus is on his defense - is he closer to Dusty Brown or Kottaras?

Closer to Brown.

#28 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6089 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Closer to Brown.

BA called Wagner as the best defensive catcher in the organization, so BA presumably thinks he is better than Brown.

#29 Kevin Youkulele

• wishes Claude Makelele was a Red Sox

• 1572 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

Amalie Benjamin in the Globe's minor league notebook:

Catcher Mark Wagner, 23, is tearing it up lately at Portland. Heading into last night's game, Wagner was hitting .400 over his last 10 games, with three doubles, a home run, eight runs, and eight RBIs. He was hitting .320 this season, and might be the complete catching prospect the Red Sox have been seeking

#30 homesnatch

• 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Wagner had a hot start to 2008, but has since sputtered a bit.
After 103 AB in 27 games, Wager is hitting .262 with a .353 OBP and .722 OPS... Not bad, but not good.

Q&A session with Mark Wagner on 5/15/2008:
SoxProspects.com Q&A with Mark Wagner
(Not a particularly good interview... a lot of cliche responses)

Edited by homesnatch, 19 May 2008 - 12:19 PM.

#31 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8880 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

I was at the game yesterday, I was able to get pictures of Wagner on deck and at the plate:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5969 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Good article about Wagner and, in general, how catching is viewed by the organization.

In 48 games, Wagner is hitting .267 with six homers and 32 RBIs. He also ranks first in the Eastern League in fielding percentage (.997) and has thrown out 18 of 41 would-be base stealers.

"The progress from '06 to now is drastic," Cather said. "The progress from the first game of the year till now is as extreme as it was from '06 to the beginning of this year."

Link

#33 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2606 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:53 AM

.244/.331/.421/.752

OPS

Reverse Split:

vs Left .689
vs Right .786

Certainly must hate away games:
Home Games .992
Away Games .530

#34 Guest_Corsi Combover_*

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:52 AM

The consensus among scouts who have watched Red Sox prospect Mark Wagner in the Arizona Fall League is that his catching is much improved and he has a good idea of how to call a game. That seemed to be a negative on Wagner this season in Portland.

Source: http://www.boston.co...cooking/?page=4

#35 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37115 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

From Sean McAdam in today's Herald:

A veteran scout from another major league team, who requested anonymity, followed Scottsdale for two weeks and provided these reports on the four most prominent Sox prospects:

Mark Wagner

2008 (Portland) 94 games; .219-10-48; .304 OBP; .363 SLP: .667 OPS

Arizona Fall League, 9 games: .276-1-3; .344 OBP; .448 SLP; .792 OPS

“I’ve seen him since college and saw him at Portland during the year, too. He’s a catch-and-throw guy. ... I don’t know if he’s a front-line catcher because he might not hit enough. His arm is a tick above average and he’s a pretty good receiver. At the plate, he’s got pull power. He doesn’t have very good breaking ball recognition and doesn’t have any plus qualities. He’s not a shutdown defender. He’s got kind of a high (release) slot when he throws. For me, he’s a back-up catcher (in the big leagues). He’s never going to hit for a high average, but he will run into some fastballs. He knows what he’s doing behind the plate and blocks balls well.”

So can we please dispense with all the prospect euphoria that Wagner's going to be the second coming of Pudge Fisk around here?

#36 Shore Thing

• 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

From Sean McAdam in today's Herald:
So can we please dispense with all the prospect euphoria that Wagner's going to be the second coming of Pudge Fisk around here?

So you're going to take ONE scout's 2-week report on Wagner and make a broad statement about his prospects as a catcher? Okay.

His overall stats in A ball look good to me -
ab 2b 3b hr bb so avg obp slg ops
788 71 2 22 104 107 0.298 0.380 0.477 0.857

He clearly struggled at the plate this year in Portland, but still showed decent plate discipline and his AFL numbers (SSS) against better competition would seem to indicate he's not overmatched. I'm encouraged by his overall ML performance and look forward to watching him progress next year.

#37 Quintanariffic

• 4391 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Who is gaga over Mark Wagner? Personally, he is tied for third on my depth chart within the system, well behind Exposito and a bit behind Dusty Brown, but comparable with Kottaras. If people think Wagner is going to see even a minute of playing time in Fenway outside Futures at Fenway, they've gotten into grand dad's old hooch bottle again.

#38 Quintanariffic

• 4391 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

So you're going to take ONE scout's 2-week report on Wagner and make a broad statement about his prospects as a catcher? Okay.

His overall stats in A ball look good to me -
ab 2b 3b hr bb so avg obp slg ops
788 71 2 22 104 107 0.298 0.380 0.477 0.857

He clearly struggled at the plate this year in Portland, but still showed decent plate discipline and his AFL numbers (SSS) against better competition would seem to indicate he's not overmatched. I'm encouraged by his overall ML performance and look forward to watching him progress next year.

You mean his stats in A ball where most of his ABs were at the Lancaster launching pad?

#39 mabrowndog

• 37115 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

The "broad statement" relates to a few posters on the main board who for the past couple years have had Wagner penciled in as Boston's starting catcher in 2010 or 2011. I'm simply urging them to take heed and temper their expectations.

As for your posting of Wagner's unadjusted stats -- from a year ago -- I'll expand on the point already made by Quintanariffic. If you're going to proudly brandish lofty stat lines without accounting for park effects from one of the most offense-friendly environments at any level of the sport, you won't win many baseball arguments around here.

You accuse me of jumping to a conclusion based on a scout's assessment, yet you have no problem citing a few weeks of AFL stats as an indicator of future stardom?? At the same time you dismiss his entire season at Portland -- his most recent body of work?? Wow...

And I'll take the words of a professional scout who gets paid to watch players and report on their abilities and tendencies any day over a partial season of Class A stats that can't possibly be translated to success at the major league level.

Edited by mabrowndog, 03 November 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#40 Quintanariffic

• 4391 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

The "broad statement" relates to a few posters on the main board who for the past couple years have had Wagner penciled in as Boston's starting catcher in 2010 or 2011. I'm simply urging them to take heed and temper their expectations.

As for your posting of Wagner's unadjusted stats -- from a year ago -- I'll expand on the point already made by Quintanariffic. If you're going to proudly brandish lofty stat lines without accounting for park effects from one of the most offense-friendly environments at any level of the sport, you won't win many baseball arguments around here.

You accuse me of jumping to a conclusion based on a scout's assessment, yet you have no problem citing a few weeks of AFL stats as an indicator of future stardom?? At the same time you dismiss his entire season at Portland -- his most recent body of work?? Wow...

And I'll take the words of a professional scout who gets paid to watch players and report on their abilities and tendencies any day over a partial season of Class A stats that can't possibly be translated to success at the major league level.

Just to pile on a bit here, of all the "Lancaster superstars" from the 2007 team (Daeges, Bates, Bell, Granadillo, Wagner), Wagner had the second worst home/road OPS split, putting up a meh .756 OPS on the road vs. his 1.098 at home. Given his other numbers in full season ball and his age, this scout's assessment seams right on the money.

#41 Shore Thing

• 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

You mean his stats in A ball where most of his ABs were at the Lancaster launching pad?

No, I looked at his overall ML Single A numbers, which would include his stops in Greenville and Wilmington. I'd be curious to see his Lancaster home/road splits before I make a claim that he'll never sniff Fenway. I'd also like to see some of his key stats (LD%, BABIP, etc.) for this year. His Portland AVG and OBP just aren't meaningful without that additional data.

#42 mabrowndog

• 37115 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

No, I looked at his overall ML Single A numbers, which would include his stops in Greenville and Wilmington. I'd be curious to see his Lancaster home/road splits before I make a claim that he'll never sniff Fenway. I'd also like to see some of his key stats (LD%, BABIP, etc.) for this year. His Portland AVG and OBP just aren't meaningful without that additional data.

Here you go:

Home - .376/.448/.650/1.098 with a .404 BABIP and 11 HR in 230 PA
Away - .251/.356/.400/.756 with a .263 BABIP and 3 HR in 205 PA

To his credit, he draws a lot of walks. But he hasn't really displayed a knack for being anything more than marginally productive with his bat.

#43 berezina

• 353 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

Wagner was added to the 40 man roster on 20 November 2008.

He put up a good showing in the Arizona Fall League: .288/.373/.542 with 8/9 BB/K and 4 HR in 18 games. He threw out 10/28 runners stealing and allowed 1 PB.

#44 P'tucket, rhymes with...

• SoSH Member

• 7549 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Wagner gets some ink in today's Projo, including this about last year:

Team officials said he had a better year than his offensive numbers indicate, but Wagner was happy to acknowledge that he had some growing up to do, and needed some time to acclimate to playing in a bracket of older, more talented players.

“It was a great learning year. There were times when I started looking at it, and I was getting frustrated with myself. And then at times I would try to do more, and try to hit the ball even better –– you know, where the line drive that gets caught isn’t good enough,” Wagner said. “I haven’t really experienced failure like that, and it was a good learning experience.”

Wagner turned it around in the Arizona Fall League this offseason, hitting .288 with four home runs in 18 games.

#45 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22142 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Wagner was at the McCoy Open House today, and was interviewed by the cute chick from Cox TV while we were standing near him. Sounded like a smart guy, at least he handled her questions easily and comfortably, with no signs of nervousness, and said the things you'd want a prospect to say

#46 bombdiggz

• 986 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

From Mazz:

Catcher Mark Wagner is just 24 years old and batted .219 in his first exposure to Double-A last year, but the Red Sox believe he is a major league player. The Sox just don’t know if Wagner is a future starter or a backup.
In 2007, during a full season at Class-A Lancaster, Wagner batted .318 with 14 home runs, 82 RBIs and a .939 OPS. That makes 2009 a very big year for him in terms of forecasting his future, though, as we all know, catchers are frequently slower to develop than most players.

Mazz in the globe

#47 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5893 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Maine Sunday Telegram:

Guess who has the best spring batting average among the Boston catchers? Mark Wagner with a .400 clip. OK, so maybe he's had only five at-bats in his five games. His two hits are a double and home run. No matter, Wagner will be back in Portland next month, but eyeing a promotion sometime this summer.

#48 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5893 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Wagner sent back down (Projo):

The Red Sox have reassigned their top prospects to minor league camp, sending Lars Anderson, Josh Reddick, Zach Daeges, and Mark Wagner to the minor league facility for the rest of the spring.
Wagner, an excellent defensive catcher, needed to prove himself at the plate. Even though he had limited at-bats, he said he felt he showed them something, hitting. Wagner had been on the 40-man roster, so he was optioned to the minor leagues.

"I think everything went according to plan, at least my plan. I played right, went about it the right way, and hopefully showed them that I belong here. Hopefully they felt the same way," Wagner said.

#49 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5893 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

"Taking a closer look at top Red Sox prospects" (Portland Press Herald):

Mark Wagner used to be considered the top Red Sox catching prospect, but Exposito has passed him. He is not as advanced as Wagner but shows potential defensively and at the plate. He hit .283 in Greenville, then .301 in Lancaster.

Exposito will return to high Class A (now in Salem, Va.) and should get a midyear promotion to Portland. Wagner, who dropped from 20th to 30th on the BA list, will be back at Hadlock.

#50 phrenile

• SoSH Member

• 5893 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Wagner suffers a mild hamstring strain and could be out 7-10 days (Portland Press Herald):

Worse than the loss was a hamstring injury suffered by catcher Mark Wagner. Playing in the DH role Sunday, Wagner was enjoying a 2-for-2 day with three walks. But in the sixth inning, Wagner was rounding second and heading to third, when he pulled up.

Wagner, one of the Red Sox top catching prospects, was diagnosed with a mild strain and could be out seven to 10 days.

Wagner left the marathon game, which lasted an even four hours. A total of 399 pitches were thrown, 240 for strikes. Pitchers were falling behind in counts and hey issued 16 walks, nine by Connecticut.