Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/17 ml Gameday: Eastern League Finale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,393 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

Today's Game:

EL: Portland (http://www.sonsofsam...ok/external.png) center right no-repeat; padding-right: 13px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Devern Hansack) vs. Akron (Ronald Bay) [1:05pm]

-Brandon

#2 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1,713 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

The Sea Dogs are up 4-1 in the bottom of the 3rd. Brian Myrow with a 2-run homer in the second inning.

Make that 8-1 after three. DeRenne with a bases loaded triple followed by a run-scoring singe by Ellsbury.

Edited by David Laurila, 17 September 2006 - 12:59 PM.

#3 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,393 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thru 5 1/2 innings, Portland up 8-2.

-Brandon

#4 Section15Box113

• 3,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

Big start for the Sea Dogs. Still 8-2, now through 6.

Here's how the runs have come across:

Portland Second Inning
* Myrow 2-run HR, scoring Durbin.
* Ellsbury RBI single, scoring Bacani.
* Kottaras RBI single, scoring Ellsbury.

4-0 Portland

Akron Third Inning
* Larkin single, to third on Ochoa bouncer/Hansack throwing error, scored on Crowe ground out to Bacani.

4-1 Portland

Portland Third Inning
* De Renne three-run triple, scoring Durbin, Myrow and Bacani.
* Ellsbury RBI single, scoring De Renne.

8-1 Portland

Akron Fifth Inning
* Ochoa tripled, scores on another Crowe ground out to Bacani.

8-2 Portland

Edited by Section15Box113, 17 September 2006 - 01:49 PM.

#5 Section15Box113

• 3,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hansack surrendered a leadoff homer to Larkin in the top of the 7th. He gave up another hit, but escaped the inning otherwise unscathed.

Stretch-time: 8-3 Portland.

#6 RoDaddy

• 1,303 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hansack gets a standing O after the 7th. Wonder if he'll keep his rotation turn by getting promoted and starting for the Sox next weekend?

#7 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,393 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

Devern Hansack has never pitched beyond the 7th inning in his career. Until today.... where he has gone 8 complete innings.

Seadogs up 8-3 going to the bottom of the 8th.

-Brandon

#8 Section15Box113

• 3,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Final line for Hansack:

8.0 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K.

Nice work. Would be great to see him get a cup of coffee in the final couple weeks.

#9 Section15Box113

• 3,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:26 PM

1-2-3 in the bottom of the 8th.

Searles in to start the 9th.

Edited by Section15Box113, 17 September 2006 - 02:26 PM.

#10 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,393 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

One year ago, to the day, Akron won the fourth game of the EL Championship Series against Portland to win the EL Championship. Today, the Sea Dogs turned the tide, as the Portland Sea Dogs win their first Eastern League Championship by defeating Akron, 8-5. It is the Red Sox first AA title since the inagural season of the New Britain Red Sox in 1983.

Devern Hansack, who won the first game of the series, comes back and goes a career high 8 innings, giving up 7 hits (1 HR) and 3 runs, striking out 8 (including the final batter he faced). Jon Searles pitched the ninth, giving up 2 hits and the requisite Akron 2 runs.

Jacoby Ellsbury and Chris Durbin each went 2/4; Durbin with a double and Ellsbury with a CS. Brandon Moss and Brian Myrow each went 1/3 with a walk, Myrow with his 3rd HR of the Post Season. George Kottaras and Keoni de Renne each went 1/4; de Renne with the big bases-loaded triple in the 3rd. David Bacani went 0/2 with 2 walks. Luis Jimenez and Matt Van der Bosch each went 0/4.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#11 Section15Box113

• 3,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

Searles made it exciting.

Leadoff double, run-scoring triple, and a sac fly to make it 8-5.

Then Searles closed it out for the win, the series and the championship. Had 'em all the way....

CONGRATULATIONS, SEA DOGS!!

*edit: congratulations is not spelled "congrtulations"

Edited by Section15Box113, 17 September 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#12 GriffinDoerr

• PILF Hunter

• 954 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

Woo HOOOO! Congrats Seadogs!! :blink:

Thanks for the info. I was just too nervous to check during the afternoon. Wish I could have been there.

Party tonight in Portland!!! ;) :D :D

#13 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,842 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

I got a ton of enjoyment from watching the Sea Dogs play this year. This was a very good minor league team and I'm excited to see what some of these guys might be able to do in Boston in the future.

This championship was well-deserved, although I would have preferred to see them close out the series a little bit earlier. But I'll take the championship.

#14 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,518 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

Congrats Sea Dogs, that's great news.

Someone who was there please tell me it was sold out, as we thought about maybe going up there today for the game, but we didn't want to go all that way without any tickets.

#15 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1,713 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

Someone who was there please tell me it was sold out, as we thought about maybe going up there today for the game, but we didn't want to go all that way without any tickets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the box score there were only 4,000 fans in attendance, so there were plenty of seats available.

#16 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,592 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:28 PM

A nice silver lining on the season. Congrats.

I agree with others here that I'd love to see Hansack get a start or two down the stretch. Would also be nice to see Ellsbury take a few swings, and perhaps Kottaras.

But I'd have to believe the Sox are going to be hesitant to start the ticking on their MLB service time clocks, and promoting Ellsbury & Hansack would require removing someone from the 40-man for each.

EDIT - What Bowler said...

Edited by mabrowndog, 17 September 2006 - 05:35 PM.

#17 Bowlerman9

• bitchslapped by Keith Law

• 5,035 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

A nice silver lining on the season. Congrats.

I agree with others here that I'd love to see Hansack get a start or two down the stretch. Would also be nice to see Ellsbury take a few swings, and perhaps Kottaras.

But I'd have to believe the Sox are going to be hesitant to start the ticking on their MLB service time clocks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spending 10 days on the roster wont have any effect on anything. Wasting a spot on the 40 man roster .... thats why we wont see these guys.

#18 Hairps

• 1,744 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

Kottaras is on the 40-man, if the SoSH wiki is to be believed.

EDIT: Added wiki linki.

Edited by Hairps, 17 September 2006 - 06:00 PM.

#19 DieHard3

• SoSH Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

If Hansack has to be added to the 40-man after the season anyway, then it's really simple to get him on right now by dumping Kevin Jarvis and letting Hansack have the last two starts for that spot. But, I'm not sure whether Hansack needs to be added, as he only has 2-1/2 years of minor league service time, and the rule is 3 years. But I'm not sure if that's 3 years from signing your first contract, or 3 full years of actually playing.

There is absolutely no way Ellsbury should be added. He doesn't need to go on the 40-man until after 2008.

#20 Titans Bastard

• has sunil gulati in his sights

• 3,165 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

If Hansack has to be added to the 40-man after the season anyway, then it's really simple to get him on right now by dumping Kevin Jarvis and letting Hansack have the last two starts for that spot.  But, I'm not sure whether Hansack needs to be added, as he only has 2-1/2 years of minor league service time, and the rule is 3 years.  But I'm not sure if that's 3 years from signing your first contract, or 3 full years of actually playing.

And I think they may do that, given the article in ProJo that claimed Hansack would have started Game 2 tonight had he not been needed in the final game in AA. However, Hansack will be added because he's due to be a six-year minor league free agent. Baseball Cube only has ~2.5 years listed, but he was originally signed in 1999....the Cube might not have DSL or VSL data for those years. I'm also not sure how minor league service time is calculated when a player is released and out of baseball. Regardless, the point is moot - he's either due to be an mlFA or is Rule 5-eligible, so he'll be added soon.

There is absolutely no way Ellsbury should be added.  He doesn't need to go on the 40-man until after 2008.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, those calling for Ellsbury should save their breath....he's not going to be seen in Boston this year.

#21 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6,420 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

Slight correction: Ellsbury needs to be added to the 40-man after next year.

#22 erfus

• 1,592 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hansack to be recalled, according to this:

http://www.minorleag..._milb&fext=.jsp

PORTLAND, Maine -- Devern Hansack referred to it as the best day of his life, and it's hard to argue with the 28-year-old native of Nicaragua.
Leading Portland to the Eastern League championship on Sunday afternoon then topping that off with a personal invite from Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein to join Boston after the game is certainly going to be tough to beat.
Not long after the celebration spilled from the field into the locker room, Sea Dogs manager Todd Claus called Hansack into his office where Epstein shared the news over the phone.

#23 GriffinDoerr

• PILF Hunter

• 954 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:35 PM

Yep, those calling for Ellsbury should save their breath....he's not going to be seen in Boston this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And isn't Ellsbury playing the Arizona Fall League this year? He could probably do with a bit of a break.

#24 RoDaddy

• 1,303 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

Is Hansack definitely 28? He's also been rumored to be 24:

http://www.soxprospe...sack-devern.htm

#25 Who is Dana Williams

• 566 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Any chance of seeing EL Series MVP Brandon Moss in Boston for the final week? He's already on the 40 man roster, and seeing how Youk and Hinske have been playing a lot of outfield lately, so it might make sense.

#26 scotian1

• SoSH Member

• 5,356 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:17 AM

According to the Portland Press Herald, Moss will not be called up. It quotes Tho saying that Moss is going to the Dominican Winter League and could use some rest.
Some quotes:

"Sox General Manager Theo Epstein liked the stuff he saw from his seat at Hadlock, promoting Hansack to Boston after the game.
Outfielder Brandon Moss, who is on Boston's 40-man roster, will not be called up, instead heading home for a rest after he stuffs his Eastern League playoffs MVP trophy in his suitcase."
another,

"There was speculation that Moss, who is on the Red Sox 40-man roster, might get a call-up to the majors, along with pitcher Devern Hansack. But Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein said the clubhouse was already too full.
"Mossie certainly earned consideration," Epstein said. "But he has winter ball in the Dominican in a couple weeks. He could use a little bit of a rest."

#27 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

On May 27 Moss was hitting .195 / .249 / .320.

Subsequently, including the post-season, he hit .333 / .412 / .529 in 417 PA.

It's a shame that his .361 / .425 / .806 line in the playoffs will essentially disappear from his record forever.

#28 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,842 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

EV, Theo and the Sox braintrust were at all of the postseason games in Portland. I'm sure they were noting Moss' performance.

#29 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,694 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:36 AM

Suddenly, with Moss, Murphy, Ellsbury, Pena, and Crisp you've got a decent core of young OF around. I certainly feel much better about Murphy after this season, and Moss has elevated himself from somewhat interesting to very interesting.

#30 Tudor Fever

• 3,412 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

In the "thank you very much, we'll take it" department, it boggles my mind that the Cleveland organization decided not to pitch Adam Miller in Game 5, the stated rationale being that he'd already reached his innings max for the year. What better experience could there possibly be for him than pitching in a winner-take-all championship game? Plus it sends a terrible message to the rest of the team. There may have been some kind of back story there, but I haven't seen it yet.

Great series and great season for the local nine.

#31 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,393 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

Stories... Plenty of Stories:

Portland Press Herald:

Sea Dogs Win!

Left fielder Chris Durbin gathered in the fly ball for the final out at 3:27 p.m., and the city of Portland could cheer a professional sports champion once again.
The Portland Sea Dogs minor league baseball team won the Eastern League title Sunday afternoon before 3,937 at Hadlock Field, defeating the Akron Aeros 8-5 in the deciding Game 5 of the series.
The title is the first for the Sea Dogs since the franchise began play in 1994. And it is the first pro sports championship for the city since the Portland Pirates won the American Hockey League title in 1994.

Game Story

The Portland Sea Dogs were considered underdogs against the Akron Aeros when the Eastern League playoffs began.
But the Sea Dogs had the decided pitching advantage Sunday, and it showed.
Portland pounded starter Ronald "Bear" Bay for eight runs in the first three innings and beat the Aeros 8-5 in the deciding Game 5 of the Eastern League championship series Sunday at Hadlock Field.
With a crowd of 3,937 standing and cheering, reliever Jon Searles got Trevor Crowe to fly out to left field, ending the game and producing the first league title in the Sea Dogs' 13-year history.
The Sea Dogs took advantage of a decision by the Cleveland Indians, Akron's parent club, to shut down Adam Miller, the Eastern League pitcher of the year. Miller pitched in Game 1 of the series, giving up four runs in a 4-3 loss, but that sent his innings total to 166 2/3 for the year, too much work for Cleveland's liking.

Never Give Up

'Hey, lady! Hey, lady!"
With one hand on a microphone and the other clutching the jersey of absent teammate Edgar Martinez, Sea Dogs first baseman Luis Jimenez stood near home plate after Portland's decisive 8-5 Eastern League championship series victory Sunday at Hadlock Field and scanned the giddy crowd, looking for the woman whose high-pitched battle cry had punctuated the past 10 days of playoff baseball.
There, behind home plate, up near the general admission seats. Jimenez spotted her.
"Whattayou say?" bellowed Jimenez.
The woman grinned. To the delight of Jimenez, his teammates and everyone else remaining from a sun-drenched crowd of 3,937 who stayed to celebrate, she belted out one final, "Never give up!"
The last team to qualify for the EL playoffs, the team that lost 10 straight in July and August, turned out to be the last team standing.
The Portland Sea Dogs, for the first time in their 13-year history, are Eastern League champions. They did it in large part because of a pitcher nearly everyone had abandoned.
Devern Hansack, a 28-year-old right-hander who spent the previous two years pitching in his native Nicaragua after never rising above Class A in the Houston Astros organization, ended the series by throwing eight impressive innings Sunday afternoon.

Notebook

Brandon Moss provided no heroic moments Sunday, going 1 for 3 with a walk, but he was later judged on his body of work throughout the playoffs.
When the ballots were counted, the voting was unanimous: Moss was named the Eastern League playoffs most valuable player.
Moss finished the playoffs with a .361 batting average (13 for 36), five home runs and 10 RBI. His most dramatic moments came against Trenton in Game 4 of the Northern Division championship series. Moss threw the potential winning run out at home in the ninth inning and then smacked a walk-off homer in the 10th to clinch the division.
"I was just fortunate to have a good series," Moss said. He said the title obviously means more. "It's the first championship I've been a part of."

Boston Globe:

Sea Dogs Champs

Portland Sea Dogs fans haven't had to endure many decades of frustration, as Red Sox supporters did between championships, though they've had their share of heartache. The Sea Dogs, the Red Sox' Double A affiliate since 2002, played their first game in 1994. Twelve years later, in their fourth appearance in the Eastern League Championship series, they became champions for the first time. Brian Myrow belted a two-run homer, Keoni De Renne tripled with the bases loaded, and Devern Hansack pitched eight strong innings as host Portland beat the Akron Aeros, 8-5, yesterday to win the series, three games to two.

-Brandon