Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/13 ml Gameday: EL Championship, Game 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17001 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:06 AM

Today's Game:

EL: Portland (http://www.sonsofsam...ok/external.png) center right no-repeat; padding-right: 13px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Tommy Hottovy) @ Akron (Aaron Laffey) [7:05pm]

Seadogs Notebook - Profile of Tommy Hottovy

When Tommy Hottovy last pitched in this ballpark, it was forgettable. On Aug. 6, he allowed four runs on six hits and six walks in four innings in a 6-2 loss to the Aeros. Hottovy, 25, a fourth-round draft pick of the Boston Red Sox out of Wichita State in 2004, gets the start tonight in Game 2 of the Eastern League championship series. The Aeros will be facing an improved, more confident Hottovy.

Since being promoted to Portland on July 31, Hottovy has made eight starts. In his first four outings, the left-hander went 0-3 with an 8.14 ERA. In his last four starts, he is 3-0 with a 1.04 ERA.

"It was more me getting to know what I have to do to be successful here," Hottovy said. "And the funny thing is, there is not much difference. If I just stay within myself and do what I can do, then everything is fine.

-Brandon

#2 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

Light rain in Akron right now, with weather report calling for more showers and thunderstorms this evening.

Hope we get this one in. Stay tuned.

#3 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

Game's underway - and it was a good top of the first for our guys.

Ellsbury led off and reached on an error by the second baseman Pinckney. Kottaras then homered to right.

Laffey then settled down and retired Moss, Jimenez and Durbin.

After half an inning, 2-0 Sea Dogs.

#4 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

Aeros get one back in the bottom of the 1st on a double and a two out hit.

Moving to the third, 2-1 Portland.

#5 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:54 PM

Rough bottom of the third for the Dogs. Hottovy gives up a leadoff HR to Wyatt Torgas, walks the next hitter and gives up back to back singles as Akron takes a one-run lead. After loading the bases again with no one out, Hottovy gets out of it with a 3-2 DP and a grounder to third. After 3, 3-2 Akron. Could have been a lot worse.

Portland bounces back in the 4th, knocking out Laffey. Three hits, four walks, a HBP and a sac fly lead to six Sea Dog runs.

After a solo HR in the bottom of the inning, it's now 8-4 Portland heading to the 5th.

#6 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7730 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

The game continued scoreless until the bottom of the 3rd, when the Aeros scored two runs on a HR (Wyatt Toregas), a BB, a bunt single, a line single

The Sea Dogs answered with a 6 run top of the 4th:

-Brandon Moss walks
-Luis Jiminez singles, Moss to 2nd
-Chris Durbin grounds into a force out, Moss at 3rd, Durbin at 1st
-Brian Myrow HBP, bases loaded
-Dustin Brown walks, Moss scores
-David Bacani walks, Durbin scores
-Zack Borowiack singles, Myrow scores
-Jacoby Ellsbury walks, Brown scores
-George Kottaras hits a sac fly to LF, Bacani scores
-Brandon Moss singles, Borowiak scores
-Luis Jiminez grounds out

The Aeros added another run in the 4th on a HR by old friend Jared Sandberg, and in the top of the 5th the score stands PORTLAND 8, AEROS 4

edit- beaten to it!

Edited by JohntheBaptist, 13 September 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#7 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7730 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

Aeros get three in the 5th to chase Hottovy and draw within a run.

Sea Dogs-8
Aeros-7

going into the top of the 6th...

#8 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Ugly bottom of the fifth. Hottovy out, Searles on.

After five:

8 runs on 4 hits for Portland.
7 runs on 12 hits for Akron.

Hold the line, guys!

Edited by Section15Box113, 13 September 2006 - 09:14 PM.

#9 Crazy Puppy

• 1775 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

Portland leading 9-8 in the 8th. Looks like they'll have to try to close this out with a patchwork bullpen as they won't have their closer tonight, and possibly not for the rest of the series. From the Sea Dogs website:

RHP Edgar Martinez placed on the temporary inactive list.

According to a poster on soxprospects.com, E-Mart's father died this morning.

#10 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:10 PM

Two grounders, a walk and a fly out and Hertzler gets through the 8th.

Score remains 9-8 Portland.

#11 Crazy Puppy

• 1775 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

Dusty Brown with a bases-clearing double to give the Sea Dogs a little breathing room. Now 13-8 in the 9th.

#12 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17001 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:28 PM

Sea Dogs win the second game 13-8, and go home to try to finish off the series on Friday.

Tommy Hottovy went the first 4 1/3 innings, giving up 10 hits (2 HRs) and 2 walks, allowing 7 runs while striking out 3. Jon Searles went the next 1 2/3 innings, giving up 2 hits and a walk, striking out two. Kyle Jackson went 2/3rds of an inning, giving up a hit and 2 walks, allowing a run while striking out one. Barry Hertzler went 1 1/3rd scoreless innings, walking one. Brett Evert went a perfect 9th to close out the game, striking out 2.

George Kottaras and Luis Jimenez each went 2/4; Kottaras with a HR and a SF, Jimenez with a walk. Zach Borowiak went 2/5. Dusty Brown went 1/3 with a double and 2 walks. Brandon Moss and David Bacani each went 1/4 with a walk; Bacani with a double. Chris Durbin went 1/5 with a double and was picked off. Brian Myrow went 0/1 with a HBP... and was replaced by Keoni de Renne who went 0/2 with a walk. Jacoby Ellsbury went 0/4 with a walk.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#13 GriffinDoerr

• PILF Hunter

• 954 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:14 PM

Many thanks again for the reports.

That's so sad about EMart. Just when you're the most happy and excited, such a terrible thing to happen. :lol:

#14 Jay A Zee

• 74 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

Many thanks again for the reports.

That's so sad about EMart. Just when you're the most happy and excited, such a terrible thing to happen.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm enjoying reading these too.

If NESN was smart, they would have jumped on the Sea Dog bandwagon for the finals. These two games, judging by the commentary have been pretty fun to watch. Certainly beats the Red Sox at Baltimore...

#15 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17001 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

Seadogs Stories:

Game Story

The heavy-hitting Akron Aeros look poised to pounce on the Portland Sea Dogs at any moment. Twice the Sea Dogs saw their lead whittled to one run Wednesday night in Game 2 of the Eastern League finals.
But catcher Dusty Brown turned a close game back to a rout with a three-run double in the top of the ninth. Brown also scored in the four-run inning as the Sea Dogs topped Akron 13-8 at Canal Park.
The Sea Dogs took a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five series. The teams take today off to travel to Portland and resume play Friday night at Hadlock Field. The Sea Dogs need one more win for their first league championship.
"I don't think we could have scripted it any better, to come in here and take two from them," Sea Dogs Manager Todd Claus said. "It's not over. Teams have come back down 2-0. But I don't have to tell these guys anything. They know what's at stake."
And they know Akron can come back. The Sea Dogs scored six runs in the fourth inning, on three hits, four walks and a hit batter, to take an 8-3 lead.
But the Aeros rallied, closing to 8-7, then to 9-8.
"The way they had been scoring, I knew we needed to put more runs on the board," Brown said.

-Brandon

FYI: I'm keeping this thread on the main page until tomorrow. So feel free to continue using this thread for off-day musings.

#16 ragnarok725

• 4018 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:50 AM

So either MiLB.com doesn't incorporate playoff stats into their lines, or they simply haven't updated Kottaras's profile with them yet. Anybody have his line so far as a member of the Seadogs? I imagine it looks real good.

#17 Ian

• 101 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

I was thinking the very same thing, i wanted to see Moss and Kottaras' stats for the postseason, but there's nothing other than average listed. Anyone care to help?

#18 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17001 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:57 AM

No Stats place updates stats to include playoffs. In the minors, they are compiled separately but never seem to be available.

Kottaras was 3/9 with a double, HR and 4 walks in the first series.

Kottaras is 2/9 with a HR and a SF in the second series.

So, that would be 5/18 with a double, 2 HRs and 4 walks. Which is:

.278/.391/.667

-Brandon

#19 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17001 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

I had Moss as 5/17 with a double and 2 HRs in Round one.

Moss is 3/8 with a walk in the finals.

Compiling the line is an academic experience.

-Brandon

#20 Bowlerman9

• bitchslapped by Keith Law

• 5029 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

Not to nitpick, but isnt Kotter:

.278/.409/.667

#21 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17001 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Not to nitpick, but isnt Kotter:

.278/.409/.667

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. The Sac Fly brings his OBP down. So (3+2+4)/(18+4+1) or 9/23.

-Brandon

#22 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7224 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

So either MiLB.com doesn't incorporate playoff stats into their lines, or they simply haven't updated Kottaras's profile with them yet. Anybody have his line so far as a member of the Seadogs? I imagine it looks real good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Play-off series stats are not part of the regular season stats in either the majors or the minors. If there is a game (or games) to decide the winner of a division (such as 1978, BOS and NYA), then those marks would be considered part of the regular season stats.