Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Ryan Kalish

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
133 replies to this topic

#101 JuniorWells

• 81 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

It is my unlearned opinion that Mr. Kalish hits friggin ropes every time up, seemingly. Having gone to maybe a half dozen Sea Dogs game thus far this season I cannot recall a player for the Dogs I more looked forward to seeing hit than Kalish. Selfishly, I hope the Sox management lets him rack up some good numbers here in Portland so we can enjoy his at bats for the next three months. He's a pleasure to watch swing the bat.

Edited by JuniorWells, 31 May 2010 - 05:43 AM.

#102 someoneanywhere

• 3143 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

RK in Goldstein's Monday Ten Pack column over at BP.

Ryan Kalish, OF, Red Sox (Double-A Portland)
Kalish had the best game of the weekend in the minor leagues, going 5-for-5 with a double and home run on Saturday, and following that up with a triple and home run yesterday. Now batting .337/.421/.578 in May, Kalish is ready for Triple-A, but his future with the Red Sox is a cloudy one. He's a good hitter with an excellent approach, solid power, and surprising speed (he's swiped 13 bases in 14 attempts), and while that combination is enough to project him as a major leaguer, and a good one at that, will it be good enough for the Red Sox? That question remains unanswered.

#103 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15235 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

The Sox have two OF slots to fill by opening day 2012. If you figure Kalish finishes this season in Pawtucket, starts there in '11 and serves as an injury call-up, he'd be ready to fill one of those slots. A whole bunch of stuff can happen between now and then, but Kalish has as good a chance as anyone to make that roster as long as he continues to produce.

#104 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7551 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Looks as though Kalish is headed to Pawtucket.

http://www.presshera...s/95279139.html

via Amelie

#105 pedroia'sboys

• 480 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:31 AM

If I hear, "well he doesn't do anything great" again with Kalish I'm going to explode. The guy is a plus defender, get's on base, and has some pop, what the hell else you want. The Red Sox are going to love a 3 WAR playing right or left for league minimum.

#106 BosRedSox5

• Stuart Smalley devotee

• 1258 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

Kalish hit the skids in Pawtucket, but he's back with a vengeance. Multi-hit games in all of his last 5's with 3 doubles. No homers, but it's a hell of a start.

#107 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5278 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Kalish needs to replace Cameron on the MLB roster ASAP. His AAA MLE is .295/.377/.459. Admittedly, this is a small sample size and his AA MLE was .237/.307/.417. But, there is reason to be suspicious of that batting average and his MLE is still showing good power and patience when working with his AA line. I don't think Kalish is ready in an absolute sense. But, he is more ready than Cameron is right now and gives the team a viable platoon in center that should be able to give respectable performance. I can see Kalish realistically hitting .270/.340/.450 right now for the Red Sox and playing solid CF defense. In a platoon, he could provide an over .800 OPS and McDonald hits lefties pretty well.

As long as Cameron has no power and cannot play most days, Kalish deserves to be on the MLB roster.

#108 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17022 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (JakeRae @ Jul 6 2010, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as Cameron has no power and cannot play most days, Kalish deserves to be on the MLB roster.

Kalish is not on the 40 man roster... Reddick is. Whatever you think of the long term prospects of both prospects, If the Sox decide to do something with Cameron (i.e. DL him)... it will be Reddick coming up. [With all the injuries the Sox have right now, there just isn't a lot of maneuverability on the 40-man roster.]

#109 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2712 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Cuzittt @ Jul 7 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kalish is not on the 40 man roster... Reddick is. Whatever you think of the long term prospects of both prospects, If the Sox decide to do something with Cameron (i.e. DL him)... it will be Reddick coming up. [With all the injuries the Sox have right now, there just isn't a lot of maneuverability on the 40-man roster.]

But if they were to give up on Cameron and he has surgery they could move him to the 60-day DL. Still, a bad idea.

#110 pokey_reese

• 4845 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (JakeRae @ Jul 6 2010, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kalish needs to replace Cameron on the MLB roster ASAP. His AAA MLE is .295/.377/.459. Admittedly, this is a small sample size and his AA MLE was .237/.307/.417. But, there is reason to be suspicious of that batting average and his MLE is still showing good power and patience when working with his AA line. I don't think Kalish is ready in an absolute sense. But, he is more ready than Cameron is right now and gives the team a viable platoon in center that should be able to give respectable performance. I can see Kalish realistically hitting .270/.340/.450 right now for the Red Sox and playing solid CF defense. In a platoon, he could provide an over .800 OPS and McDonald hits lefties pretty well.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but remember when we thought the same thing about Reddick last year? He had a .20 slugging and just about a .900 OPS in Portland, then had one good week in the majors, spent the next few months shuttling around getting ABs at the major league and AAA levels, and hasn't really hit since. Considering how quickly the team has promoted guys like Kelly, Anderson, and Rizzo with mixed results, I would rather see Kalish get called up when he does because he has demonstrated a sustained dominance at the AAA level, rather than because Cameron is hurt/blows. The whole reason we have MLEs is because the majors are harder than the minors, so a guy needs to be obviously better than his AAA peers over a large sample size before we can be confident that he is ready to play in the majors, especially if he still needs everyday ABs to improve.

edit: Wait, also, I am seeing his AAA MLE as .258/.329/.379 at Minorleaguesplits.com, I think that you might be looking at the raw stats...

Edited by pokey_reese, 07 July 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#111 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16486 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Kalish has been fueled by an insanely good homestand and high BABIP, and is now hitting 333/407/457 as a 22 YO who plays good defense at all three OF positions in AAA.

I'm not saying promote him, but I will say I don't want to see him shipped for anything less than premium talent.

#112 Puffy

• 1033 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Kalish has been fueled by an insanely good homestand and high BABIP, and is now hitting 333/407/457 as a 22 YO who plays good defense at all three OF positions in AAA.

I'm not saying promote him, but I will say I don't want to see him shipped for anything less than premium talent.

If the Red Sox were to consider trading Kalish now, wouldn't they also be selling high on him and perhaps capitalizing on his recent (and likely unsustainable) performance. There seems to be enough depth at OF in the Red Sox system where they could afford to lose a guy like Reddick or Kalish. I'm not sure I'd trade him for someone like Dejesus, but if a bigger name were out there and available, I think they could reap some benefit from Kalish's stellar performance this year, which may or may not be indicative of his true talent level. Reddick, by contrast, has struggled so much this year that you'd have to think he was underrated on the trade market.

#113 Quintanariffic

• 4403 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

If the Red Sox were to consider trading Kalish now, wouldn't they also be selling high on him and perhaps capitalizing on his recent (and likely unsustainable) performance. There seems to be enough depth at OF in the Red Sox system where they could afford to lose a guy like Reddick or Kalish. I'm not sure I'd trade him for someone like Dejesus, but if a bigger name were out there and available, I think they could reap some benefit from Kalish's stellar performance this year, which may or may not be indicative of his true talent level. Reddick, by contrast, has struggled so much this year that you'd have to think he was underrated on the trade market.

Not sure about that. Aside from Kalish, the next most exciting OF prospects in the system may be in Lowell in the form of Bryce Brentz, Brandon Jacobs or Vitek (if you don't believe he'll stick at 3B). The only guys in between worth noting are Lin and Fuentes, both of whom are slap-hitting CF or 4th OF types. Other names like Hissey, Dening and Westmoreland have varying issues preventing them from currently being considered as part of a solution if you trade Kalish.

#114 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

Man, there is no way in hell I'd trade Kalish for DeJesus. DeJesus is a guy I would try to trade for if we didn't have a Kalish in the system. Even with the added benefit of having him signed next year too, I doubt he'll repeat his outlier (so far, he could suck his way back to normal-DeJesus levels the rest of the way) 2010 season that is basically driven by his June (171 wRC+ with a .120 IsoP) .460 BABIP.

Edited by SoxScout, 15 July 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#115 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15812 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Man, there is no way in hell I'd trade Kalish for DeJesus. DeJesus is a guy I would try to trade for if we didn't have a Kalish in the system. Even with the added benefit of having him signed next year too, I doubt he'll repeat his outlier (so far, he could suck his way back to normal-DeJesus levels the rest of the way) 2010 season that is basically driven by his June (171 wRC+ with a .120 IsoP) .460 BABIP.

To go even further with your point, there is no one currently on this market short of Adrian Gonzalez that I'd trade Ryan Kalish for. He's doing so well that he probably can step in next year and be the 4th OF. Hell, he'll probably come up in September if they can get creative with a 40-man roster spot. As said above, the minor league OF depth is not good enough at the upper levels to absorb a loss of Kalish. He is a younger and more talented version of DeJesus at a fraction of the cost.

#116 sittingstill

• 1307 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

A few shots from Ryan's first two games in the majors:

Posted Image
Hit #1

Posted Image
Hit #2

Posted Image
(Hope that wasn't the lucky bat, though)

Posted Image
First full-out charge to beat up a game-winning teammate

Posted Image
First chance for me to get a shot that wasn't from 400 feet away

Posted Image
Second chance to beat up a game-winning teammate

Lots more here. (Note that "player" galleries on my site show up in REVERSE order from regular galleries...!)

#117 Brianish

• 4279 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

An article about how Kalish hit his first home run against his 'childhood heroes' the Yankees:

http://soxblog.projo...h-delivers.html

Which is odd, because I remember reading an article like, a week ago, about how he was a Sox fan who took a ragging from all the Yankee fans around him, on account of his parents were from NE, and he only signed because the Sox drafted him.

Yeah, right here: http://www.weei.com/...h-ended-red-sox

I think the projo might wind up feeling kinda dumb. It almost sounds like they figured New Jersey = Yankee fan and just threw it in.

#118 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22201 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Today's Globe also quotes him as being "a bandwagon Yankee fan growing up", even though his parents were Sox fans, and his uncle is Paul Harber, who used to write Golf for the Globe

#119 Brianish

• 4279 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Ah, a bandwagoner makes a little more sense.

#120 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16486 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

I was going to say that both could be right, he started off a Red Sox fan then converted like so many other young adults in 96-00. Then I realized he was 8 years old in 96.

#121 sittingstill

• 1307 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Dan Hoard had the more accurate story a while back, too. FWIW, I think Dan Barbarisi and especially Brian MacPherson have been doing great work for the ProJo.

#122 Brianish

• 4279 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

I was going to say that both could be right, he started off a Red Sox fan then converted like so many other young adults in 96-00. Then I realized he was 8 years old in 96.

Yeah, that was my thinking too.

But if he was 8 and all his friends were liking the Yanks, it makes sense he went along for the ride.

#123 C4CRVT

• 2360 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Bad news: Neck surgery for Ryan Kalish.

He's expected to be ready for 2012 ST.Speier EEI article

#124 Cumberland Blues

• 4159 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

He's expected to be ready for 2012 ST.

Not any more. Labrum surgery too, out til May/June.

#125 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9261 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

So many prospects get derailed by injuries, and after all of this Kalish has to be considered a danger to have his career derailed too. Maybe he bounces back and never misses a beat, but players who get injured frequently tend to keep getting reinjured.

Looks like Kalish might well play fewer games in 2011 and 2012 than Jed "Good riddance because he's always injured" Lowrie will.

#126 Mike in CT

• 2125 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Good thing they waited until November to do the surgery.

#127 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9977 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Good thing they waited until November to do the surgery.

Agreed. He had this problem earlier in the year. This rest and rehab shit doesn't work. If he had the surgery immediately he could have been completely healthy this year.

#128 alwyn96

• 747 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Not really news, but Kalish is throwing and hitting, at least. Possibly game ready around July.

#129 SoxLegacy

• 539 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Good to know...I have high hopes for Kalish.

#130 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25917 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Good to know...I have high hopes for Kalish.

I have this fantasy about Middlebrooks, Kalish, Iglesias, and Lavarnway all getting starting roles from the get go next year, and deserving them.

#131 SoxLegacy

• 539 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have this fantasy about Middlebrooks, Kalish, Iglesias, and Lavarnway all getting starting roles from the get go next year, and deserving them.

I like that fantasy! I like what I see from all of the players you listed, and hope they can successfully make the jump to the bigs and be a core for the Sox for some time.

#132 Laser Show

• 3220 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

LF Crawford
CF Ellsbury
2B Pedroia
1B Gonzalez
DH Ortiz
3B Middlebrooks
C Lavarnway
RF Kalish
SS Iglesias

:fap: :fap:

#133 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14356 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

LF Crawford
CF Ellsbury
2B Pedroia
1B Gonzalez
DH Ortiz
3B Middlebrooks
C Lavarnway
RF Kalish
SS Iglesias

:fap: :fap:

Seems about a year too early for Iglesias, but as the majority of a 2014 lineup or with another SS next year it could be beautiful.

#134 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37320 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Not really news, but Kalish is throwing and hitting, at least. Possibly game ready around July.

Cherington

"Kalish is hitting on a field and throwing out to 120 [feet]," said general manager Ben Cherington. "He's coming along well."

When will Kalish start playing in games?

"No decision on that yet, but he's coming along. We'll let him do that for a while and then get him live BP and then get him into game action down there. No timetable on him."