Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

9/9 ml Gameday: EL-NDCS Game 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

Today's Game:

EL: Portland (http://www.sonsofsam...ok/external.png) center right no-repeat; padding-right: 13px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Frank Brooks) vs. Trenton (Matt DeSalvo) [6:05pm]

-Brandon

#2 amfox1

• 3,363 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:07 PM

Portland and Trenton tied at 3-3, end 8th - Jimenez tied the game in the bottom of the 8th with a RBI single

With two out and a man at second, Randy Ruiz hits a single to right off Barry Hertzler and Brandon Moss guns down the runner at home!

Tied 3-3, mid 9th

If Portland wins, they go the EL championship finals. If they lose, they go to Trenton for the deciding game 5.

Bottom 9th (Patterson pitching)
Myrow Ks
Brown HBP
Bacani Ks
De Renne singles
Ellsbury grounds out 3-1

Top 10th (Hertzler pitching)
Matsui (1/2, 2BB) grounds out 4-3
Duncan grounds out 5-3
Christian grounds out 6-3

Bottom 10th coming up
VDB (hitting for Jimenez) grounds out to 1B
MOSS HITS A WALK-OFF HOME RUN!!!!!!!

Edited by amfox1, 09 September 2006 - 09:30 PM.

#3 RoDaddy

• 1,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

The Seadog announcers are STILL yelling! Might be a defining moment for Moss, saving the game with his defense and winning with the walk-off dinger. He's still got time to get back on track as a big-time prospect, and he sured looked like one tonight.

#4 Tudor Fever

• 3,407 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Dogs advance on a Moss walk-off. W00T!!!!!!!

Wow, what a game for Moss.

#5 GriffinDoerr

• PILF Hunter

• 954 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

Dogs advance on a Moss walk-off.  W00T!!!!!!!

Wow, what a game for Moss.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, that's wonderful! Thanks for the quick updates - wish I could have been there!! :D

#6 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

Seadogs win the Northern Division Championship, 4-3 in 10 innings. The Dogs move to the Eastern League Championship for the second consecutive year.

Frank Brooks went the first 6 innings, giving up 6 hits, 3 walks and a HBP, allowing 3 runs (all in the 2nd) while striking out 5. Mike Bumatay went 2/3rds of an inning, giving up a hit and a walk, striking out one. Brett Evert went the next 1 1/3rd innings, giving up a HBP and striking out one. Barry Hertzler went the final 2 innings, giving up a hit and a walk.

Brandon Moss had the big hit, going 2/5 with a Walk-Off HR in the 10th. Moss also knocked down a runner at home earlier in the game. Brian Myrow went 2/4 with a double and a HR. Chris Durbin, Luis Jimenez and Keoni de Renne each went 1/4; Jimenez with a double, Durbin with a triple. George Kottaras went 0/1 with 3 walks. Dusty Brown went 0/3 with a HBP. Matt Van der Bosch went 0/1 (and scored the game tieing run as an 8th inning Pinch Runner). David Bacani went 0/4. Jacoby Ellsbury went 0/5.

Boxscore

-Brandon

#7 RoDaddy

• 1,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

The championship series will apparently start on the road on Tuesday. Any chance that Buchholz (or even Bowden) will be promoted for the finals to get a taste of AA?

#8 GriffinDoerr

• PILF Hunter

• 954 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

The championship series will apparently start on the road on Tuesday.  Any chance that Buchholz (or even Bowden) will be promoted for the finals to get a taste of AA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to soxpropsects.com, Buchholz is on his way home to Texas.

#9 amfox1

• 3,363 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

The championship series will apparently start on the road on Tuesday.  Any chance that Buchholz (or even Bowden) will be promoted for the finals to get a taste of AA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe they will reward Hansack, Hottovy and Dobies for their work down the stretch. I'd let Clay go home - he got his playoff game and left on a good note.

Akron is a very good team - much better than Trenton. They've won two of the last three titles. If Altoona wins, it could be interesting. Root for Altoona tomorrow.

#10 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

Stories:

Seadogs Win

With Brandon Moss batting in the bottom of the 10th inning, the count ran to 3-0. Everyone on the Portland Sea Dogs, including Moss, thought the same thing:

It could happen again.

Portland Manager Todd Claus peered in at Moss.

"I saw him take a deep breath," Claus said. "I was thinking, 'come on Mossie, get the head (of the bat) out' and he sure did."

Moss took one mighty swing at a fastball right down the middle and launched it into the right-field pavilion, a walk-off homer that gave the Sea Dogs the Eastern League Northern Division championship with a 4-3 victory over the Trenton Thunder on Saturday night before 4,807 fans at Hadlock Field.

It was the second consecutive game that Moss had homered on a 3-0 pitch.

The Hero - Brandon Moss

Outside of Hadlock Field before the game, they were giving away Saturday's edition of the Press Herald, wrapped inside a poster featuring a big, goofy picture of a grinning, cross-eyed Brandon Moss above the words: Sea Dog Of The Year.

Impossible though it seemed, Moss ended the evening with an even wider smile - matched by the delirious teammates who met him at home plate after his walk-off home run with one out in the 10th inning gave the Sea Dogs a 4-3 victory and catapulted them into the Eastern League championship series for the second year in a row.

"He's the guy we want up there when the game's on the line," said Sea Dogs Manager Todd Claus.

The comment from Claus came two hours before the game, after explaining how Moss had bounced back from another awful April (.178 batting average, after a .209 mark the previous April) to finish among the top 10 hitters in the Eastern League.

By season's end, Moss led the league with 36 doubles and was second in runs batted in (43) and hits (145).

-Brandon

#11 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

I'm going to keep this topic on the main page until Tuesday morning as a place holder for any discussion that may happen on the EL Championship Series (including a place to discuss today's Deciding Game in the Southern Division).

-Brandon

#12 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6,100 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

I understand not promoting I am an Idiot and even moreso with Bowden. However, I would love to see B. Cox and even Masterson promoted to strengthen the bullpen and give those guys a chance to see what they can do against AA hitters.

#13 RoDaddy

• 1,279 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

I'd still consider Buchholz. He was SOOOO dominant this year in A ball that he should be able to get AA hitters out now. He wouldn't start of course, but a few innings in relief would be a good experience for him at this level. Based on his perfomance and age, he has a good chance of starting next year in Portland anyway.

#14 lonborgski

• 250 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

I understand not promoting I am an Idiot and even moreso with Bowden.  However, I would love to see B. Cox and even Masterson promoted to strengthen the bullpen and give those guys a chance to see what they can do against AA hitters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd still like to see Phil Seibel added to the Portland roster, assuming he's healthy. He only got 15 innings in at AAA, missing most of August due to injury. He pitched the most at Portland this year, so saying he's a part of that team is not a stretch and his work at Portland in May, June and July is a big part of why the Sea Dogs made the playoffs anyway. So both he and the team would seem to benefit from giving him a chance to pitch in the playoffs.

I'd also like to see Masterson or Bryce Cox promoted, or, how about, Mike James, the Wilmington closer, reward a 25 year-old for a good season.

#15 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,496 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

Other than the obvious (anything to win), what was the point of keeping Matsui in AA for all four games of the playoffs? I understand 2 games, to get some timing back, but I don't think the main point should be to have Trenton make it to the Finals. Shouldn't he have been up with the big club for the last game or two, getting some ABs against Major Leauge pitching instead of spending this much time at AA?

#16 amfox1

• 3,363 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

Akron leads Altoona 4-1, end 5th

EDIT: Make it 5-2, mid 8th

It's a final. 5-2. Akron vs. Portland, beginning Tuesday

Edited by amfox1, 10 September 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#17 Tudor Fever

• 3,407 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

I have some tickets available to each of the games at Hadlock (Games 3 and, if necessary, 4 and 5). Check the ticket swap forum if you're interested.