Redsox.com's Pitching Analysis:
BOS: RHP Kyle Snyder (4-3, 5.94 ERA)
The right-hander is coming off one of the best outings of his career, as he fired seven innings of shutout baseball in a win over the Blue Jays on Friday. Snyder has made 13 appearances for the Red Sox, seven of which have been starts. He's 3-1 with a 4.50 ERA in nine outings at Fenway.
CWS: RHP Jose Contreras (11-7, 4.23 ERA)
The big right-hander suffered his third straight loss and fourth in five decisions, but Contreras deserved a better fate Friday night at Kauffman Stadium. He allowed seven runs on seven hits over five innings but only two of those runs were earned. Contreras has a no-decision in his one start against Boston in 2006, but his struggles at Fenway Park have been well-documented -- albeit primarily as part of the Yankees staff. Contreras is 2-4 lifetime against Boston with a 10.36 ERA, but has a 1-3 record at Fenway with a 13.50 ERA.
- Cuckoo for Coco? Coco is 5 for 15 lifetime against Contreras. (FWIW, I hate myself for the way I led of this note...)
- Contreras started against Boston on July 9. His line:
No Decision 3.38ERA 6.0IP 4H 3ER 6K 5BB giving up 1HR to Lowell in the 4th
- On the road, Contreras has a career ERA of 4.96. His home ERA is 3.52. Lefties and righties match up relatively equally (.256 for left, .252 for right)
- In his last ten games, Contreras has amassed a meager two wins with a 5.71ERA. During this time he has given up 40ER on 72 hits while striking out 35 and walking 17.
- Contreras' middle name is Ariel. I find this more amusing than I really should.
- Contreras has pitched one complete game this year (a shut out win against Detroit on August 11), and has a total of two in his career.
- Contreras has pitched for the Yankees and White Sox in his Major League career.
- Snyder was impressive in his last outing against Toronto, his longest appearance of the year (7.0IP) He threw an economic 94 pitches and struck out 8, giving up only two hits.
- Lefties against Snyder during his career have hit .316 while righties have hit .310. Snyder's career home ERA is 5.70 while his road is 6.30.
- Snyder pitched for Kansas City RoyAAAAls before being picked up by Boston. His first major league appearance, like Contreras, came in 2003.
- Snyder has a 0.00ERA for the month of September
- Lowell had two hits in the July 9th outing against Contreras while Ortiz and Gonzales each had one.
- In 2005 Cora went 2 for 2 against Contreras, Varitek went 2 for 3 with one home run and Ortiz and Nixon each went 1 for 3. Ortiz's hit was also a home run.
- I distinctly remember that before one of Contreras' outings against the Sox as a Yankee, his ERA entering the game against the Sox was 23.25. In 2003 he gave up 56 hits and 10 home runs to Red Sox hitters.
Edited by Madison33, 06 September 2006 - 01:27 PM.