Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2006 ml Season Ending Report: DSL Red Sox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17039 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

Final Record: 23-47 (Last in Boca Chica North, 20 1/2 games out)

Last season I castigated the Dominican team, not only because they finished at 16 games under .500, but because it didn't seem like they had any sort of prospect. So, one would logically conclude I am going to go ballistic about this years team, a team which finished 24 games under .500. And, yet, I won't.

There are 3 reasons why I am not going to get on this team:

1) Ten players from last years DSL team made the jump to the Gulf Coast League this season (and a 11th (Jean Guillen) jumped to Lowell), and that team dominated. While none of these players were amongst the best prospects in the GCL, they all contributed to the dominance. [The 10 players: Roberto Sosa, Pedro Vasquez, Emilis Guerrero, Jose Capellan, Jorge Rodriguez, Argenis Paulino, Mauricio Mendez, Joseph Guerra, Jose Marte, and Gustavo Salcedo)
2) The Red Sox made a couple of major Caribbean signings this summer, and those players will not debut until next season.
3) The team was relatively young, with only 3 players aged 20 and over. (One of whom, Yomen Figueroa, did not appear to have played).

This does not mean that there should be joy in the streets. The team did finish 24 games under .500, which is dreadful. But, perhaps, won/loss record is deceiving us. The fact that they promoted 11 players from last seasons team and few flamed out spectacularly means there is development going on.

Let's talk about the players.

First, a note of caution...

1) I haven't seen these players. I have no idea how they look. I can only base my opinions solely on the stats provided.
2) Unlike every other league that will be detailed, there were no daily boxscore for the DSL. Thus, I have no sense of the ebb and flow for each player.
3) I have no defensive stats, although given the tremendous numbers of unearned runs, one can expect they would be ugly.

It should also be noted that the stats that are on MiLB (which one can find via the Rosters Link on the DSL site) and the stats on the official DSL sites are not the same. I am using the DSL sites numbers for this report.

Offensive Player of the Year:
Ricardo Burgos

The 19 year old Venezuelan second baseman made a dramatic jump from last year's VSL numbers (.238/.389/.333), in particular making a dramatic jump in slugging. Ricardo was a top 10 hitter in the league by batting average, but was even better by OBP (thanks to 50 walks) and led the team with 15 doubles and 4 HRs (also hitting 3 triples). Will have to be considered a strong possibility to come to the states next season. Final Numbers: .288/.445/.467

Pitcher of the Year:
Jose Alvarez

The 17 year old LHP from Venezuela, made his professional debut this year, and led the League with an ERA of 1.03. He led the team in innings (61 1/3 innings), Strikeouts (64), K/BB ratio (64/16). He finished with a 2-1 record. On a slightly negative note, he gave up 9 unearned runs (of course, that would make his RA only 2.35, which is still pretty damned good). I expect him in the GCL next season.

The Others:

Pitching:
Anatanaer Batista: The 17-year old Dominican debuted for the Sox this year, going 3-8 with a 5.00 ERA in 19 appearances (27 IPs). Anatanear walked 14 and struck out 17. He is likely to repeat DSL next season.
Braulio Batista: No, not the same person. Braulio is 19 and from Colombia... but his stats look similar. Braulio went 0-2 with a 5.51 ERA in 11 appearances (16 1/3 innings). Braulio walked 4 and struck out 14.
Cesar Cabral: The 17-year old Dominican lefty debuted for the Sox this season, going 1-4 with a 4.30 ERA. Unfortunately, Cesar's ERA is inflated, as he gave up 10 more unearned runs that his ERA indicates. Cesar pitched in 11 games (37 2/3 innings), walking 12 and striking out 26.
Yeiper Castilla: The 17-year old Venezuelan debuted for the Sox this season, going 2-4 with a 3.20 ERA. Much like Cesar Cabral, his ERA probably does not reflect his true worth, as he gave up 15 unearned runs this season. In 15 games (45 innings), Yeiper walked 19 and struck out 38.
Victor de la Cruz: Another 17-year old Dominican, de la Cruz also debuted for the Sox this season, going 0-2 with a 7.24 ERA over 12 appearances (32 1/3 innings). Victor walked 27 and struck out 29.
Paul Flores: An 18-year old Panamanian, Paul went 0-1 with a 3.78 ERA in 8 appearances (16 2/3 innings). Paul walked 11 and struck out only 7.
Victor Galue: The 18-year old Venezuelan played his second season for the Sox (He played in the VSL last season), going 2-2 with a 2.23 ERA over 14 games (48 1/3 innings). His RA was double his ERA however, as he allowed 13 unearned runs. Victor walked 9 and struck out 38. I expect to see him in the GCL next season.
Albert Jimenez: The 18-year old lefty Dominican was a strong candidate for pitcher of the year, going 2-1 with a 0.99 ERA. Over 14 games (54 1/3 innings), Jimenez walked 10 and struck out 49. (His RA would have been double his ERA, as he gave up 6 unearned runs). Another likely candidate to jump to the GCL.
Edwin Lopez: The 18-year old Dominican lefty went 1-2 with a 3.78 ERA over 13 games (33 1/3 innings). Edwin walked 28 and struck out 32.
Raul Mayora: The 19-year old Venezuelan lefty did not have a great season, going 3-2 with a 7.77 ERA. In 14 games covering 24 1/3 innings, Raul walked 21 and struck out 28.
Neylin Morel: The 19-year old Dominican went 1-3 with a 5.95 ERA. Neylin pitched in 11 games (19 2/3 innings), walking 16 and striking out 14.
Pedro Perez: The 18-year old Dominican went 3-3 with a 3.83 ERA over 15 games (47 innings). Pedro walked 17 and struck out 32. Another candidate to jump to the DSL.
Pedro Rodriguez: The 18-year old Venezuelan went 2-1 with a 1.99 ERA over 19 games (45 1/3 innings). Rodriguez walked 9 and struck out 42... and is likely Florida bound next season.
Brandon Ulloa: The 17-year old Dominican went 1-5 with a 5.96 ERA. Over 11 games (28 2/3 innings), Brandon walked 21 and struck out 22.
Emilio Valera: Emilio pitched in 6 games (6 1/3 innings) with a 4.27 ERA. Valera walked 6 and struck out 2.
Rafael Vargas: The 18-year old Dominican went 0-1 with an 8.74 ERA over 11 1/3 innings. Rafael walked 8 and struck out 4.
Gustavo Zarraga: Gustavo pitched 2 innings and didn't allow a single hit. Unfortunately, he did allow 9 walks and 6 runs while striking out only 1. Will be interesting to watch the 17-year old Venezuelan lefty next season, to see if he still has no-hit stuff.

Offense:
Williams Alvarez: An 18-year old Venezuelan Catcher, Williams put up a .267 Batting Average in 25 games. He walked 3 times and struck out 7, hitting 2 doubles. Being a catcher, there is a decent chance he'll go to Florida next season.
Alan Atacho: Like Williams, an 18-year old Venezuelan catcher, Alan did not enjoy his sophmore season much. In 23 games, Alan batted only .148. He did walk 13 times (with 18 Ks), but only had a single extra base hit, a double.
Jackvid Avilla: A 17-year old Venezuelan Infielder, Jackvid played in 47 games, batting only .181. Jacvid had 7 extra base hits (6 doubles, 1 HR) with 11 walks and 38 Ks. Will be interesting to see how he develops next season.
Ronald Bermudez: The 18-year old Venezuelan Outfielder, Ronald led the team in triples with 5 while also hitting 9 doubles. Ronald batted .257 in 48 games, walking 21 while striking out 38. Possible GCL candidate for next season.
Nelson Bonilla: A 19-year old Dominican Infielder, Nelson batted .266 in 47 games. Nelson had 6 doubles and 3 HRs, walking 10 times while striking out 40 times.
Eudi Cordones: A 19-year old Domincan 3rd Baseman, Eudi played in 28 games and hit .147. Eudi had 4 walks and 4 doubles, striking out 26 times.
Marcial de la Nieve: An 18-year old Domincan Catcher, Marcial played in 17 games and was able to garner a grand total of 3 singles (BA: .086). Marcial did walk 3 times and struck out 18 times.
Luis Diaz: The 17-year old Dominican shortstop batted .142 over 46 games. Diaz had 6 doubles, 16 walks and 45 strikeouts.
Roberto Feliz: An 18-year old Domincan outfielder, Roberto batted .243 in 59 games. Roberto had 17 extra base hits (12 doubles, a triple, 4 HRs), 16 walks and 43 Ks.
Alberto Gil: The 21-year old Dominican catcher, Alberto batted .232 over 32 games. Alberto had 8 hits and 2 doubles, walking 9 times and striking out 17 times. It is a possibility this is the end of the line for Alberto.
Miguel Meregildo: The 17-year old Dominican outfielder batted .218 in his Sox debut, playing in 53 games and hitting 10 extra base hits (8 doubles, 2 triples). Miguel walked 22 times and struck out 42 times.
Yamaico Navarro: The 18-year old Domincan shortstop batted .282 over 54 games. Navarro had 21 extra base hits (13 doubles, 5 triples, 3 HRs), 21 walks and struck out 29 times. Likely to be in Florida next season.
Wilfi Santana: The 17-year old Dominican Outfielder batted .220, with 6 doubles, 12 walks and 45 Ks.
Victor Serrano: The 20-year old Venezuelan infielder batted .274 with 9 extra base hits (7 doubles, 1 triple, 1 HR). Serrano walked 23 times and struck out 36 times. Might be in Florida, might be out of baseball next season.
Jose Sierra: An 18-year old Venezuelan outfielder batted .219 over 31 games, with 5 doubles and a triple. Sierra walked 15 times and struck out 21 times.
Victor Torres: The 19-year old Domincan infielder batted .189 over 39 games, having 3 doubles, a triple, 12 walks and 21 strikeouts.

Stats

-Brandon

#2 diehard24

• 535 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

Thanks a ton for the in-depth report, Brandon. We suffer greatly from a lack of information on the DSL kids. Even the DSL website had the rosters wrong most of the year. Great stuff. Looks like we've got a couple more intriguing players to track next year.

#3 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

The Sox have repeatedly said that the goal for thier DSL team is to promote two prospects - I think they've specifically said a pitcher and a hitter even - to the states every year. I don't think they've necessarily hit that goal, but perhaps they will next year with Alvarez and Burgos.

From a big picture perspective, the ting that jumps out at me is that both of those kids are Venezuelan. That's the continuation of a set pattern that has seen the Sox struggle to come up with interesting talent in the DR, but do a pretty nice job of loading the bottom of the system with talented looking Venezuelans.

#4 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3667 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

The Sox have repeatedly said that the goal for thier DSL team is to promote two prospects - I think they've specifically said a pitcher and a hitter even - to the states every year.  I don't think they've necessarily hit that goal, but perhaps they will next year with Alvarez and Burgos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Navarro is rated higher than Burgos by some who have seen them play, so keep an eye on him. Also Jimenez as a pitcher. So I think they'll get four stateside, along with Moises Tejeda and Engel Beltre who did not play in the DSL but worked out with the team.

#5 philly sox fan

• SoSH Member

• 9748 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

I think Navarro is rated higher than Burgos by some who have seen them play, so keep an eye on him.  Also Jimenez as a pitcher.  So I think they'll get four stateside, along with Moises Tejeda and Engel Beltre who did not play in the DSL but worked out with the team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure but the idea isn't just to get x guys stateside. It's get two "prospects" (however loosely you want to define that for DSL to GCL transition guys).

Even with a loose definition of prospect the Sox haven't really been all that close to their goal to date.

#6 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17039 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:07 AM

On the good advice of Philly, I bolded players names. Should make the readabilty that much better.

Also, wanted to make a comment on the strangeness that is Jose Alvarez leading the league with a 1.03 ERA when his teamate, Albert Jimenez, has a marginally lower ERA (0.99). However, this is how the VSL site has it listed.

It may have something to do with an inning threshold, in which case, Alvarez was the only Sox pitcher to hit that specific threshold.

-Brandon

#7 templeUsox

• SoSH Member

• 6420 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

Is it politically incorrect to make generalizations based on regional differences in styles of baseball? To me, Venezuela is more ripe for the sox scouting department because their young players exhibit more advanced hitting and pitching approaches, to that of the Dominican players. But that is going of what I observe and hear about the players, so it might not be totally correct...